A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Hitchhikers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #984879 by Kelsung
Mar 26, 2020 9:15am
Thread
I have the opposite problem. I’m still working on the clue. I planted the box last October.

Poor little box! It's clueless.
Making my own letter box
Mar 28, 2020 6:05pm
Thread
How do I go about hiding and posting about my own letter box?
Re: Making my own letter box
Reply to: #985011 by Grey Fox
Mar 28, 2020 6:10pm
Thread
Under the "Home" menu (at the top) is "Help". Under that is "Atlas Quest: Adding/Editing Letterboxes.
Reply to: #985012 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 28, 2020 6:37pm
Thread
Brand new boxer. I think they mean more than just the listing of the box. I think they mean the whole process.
Mar 28, 2020 6:45pm
Thread
How do I go about hiding and posting about my own letter box?

I learned about good ways to make clues and how to present letterboxes by finding letterboxes by old timers in my area. I recommend that you find as many as you can and collect ideas that you like.
Mar 28, 2020 6:46pm
Thread
You need to go to the homepage and click on Home and Toolbox. Look at About Letterboxing, the tutorials, code of conduct.....read all this stuff.

I see you found 3 boxes. Go do some more boxing, find some more, see how people hid them. They have to be hidden well so other people can’t see them.

If you look at the information here on AQ it will help you a lot. Taking a look at the different discussion boards will give you a lot of info also.
Mar 29, 2020 3:07pm
Thread
Then again, not everyone lives in an area with lots of active boxes to find. Or clues are restricted.
Right now, many parks, beaches, trails, libraries, etc. are closed. This makes many boxes unavailable just at a time when a lot of people suddenly have the time, even the need, to try something new, like planting a letterbox.
Mar 30, 2020 2:27pm
Thread
Welcome to the fun! I second the advice of others, try to find a whole bunch of boxes before planting your own. It really helps one get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Some boxes/pouches leak, some locations seem good but aren't really, some clues seem obvious to you now but may not stand the test of time, etc. For example, interesting tree hollows and crevices in rocks that catch your eye as great hiding spots will also catch the eye of "muggles" who might just look inside for something to do. The "suspicious pile of rocks" (or SPOR) you make to cover your box should be as un-suspicious as possible, or someone might just start poking around. Look for the tree hollows, etc that are less obvious - like those facing away from the trail, for example. Or for clues that don't age well, rotten logs are often used as markers but these can rot away entirely. Imagine that you will be looking for this box in 5 or 10 years - would the clues hold up? Will the vegetation be similar? And if you hide in a public place make sure no one sees you hide it! I've had two boxes disappear almost immediately in ways that I can only assume came because we naively thought no one was observing us. (Well, one was in a very bad location and I knew would disappear sooner or later but my nephew insisted, but the other I thought was a very unlikely spot to be muggled but it vanished within days.). One could go on and on with tips, but if you get some experience finding you'll get some great ideas. One final word, don't hide in such a way as to cause people to damage property, especially historic sites like stone walls, etc.! Oh, and if you are a geocacher, check online to make sure there isn't a cache nearby. Some geocachers steal stamps even if the box is labeled as a letterbox. I must admit, I don't do this step but I've found geocaches when out LBing and I've found "geotrashed" boxes that have been ruined, which is a shame. Oh, and don't hide in a poison ivy clump! Oh, and-- well, you get the idea. Have fun, and I hope to find one of your boxes someday!
Mar 31, 2020 10:35am
Thread
Grey Fox! Welcome to Letterboxing! I see you have already been directed to the info you needed. I just wanted to welcome you to this fun hobby!
My Logbook
Mar 31, 2020 2:37pm
Thread
I recorded my Ten boxes I found today and went to my log book and my whole list of 190
finds are gone. It says I haven’t recorded any finds. What the heck happened? I didn’t delete anything. Help !!!!
Buttercup60
Re: My Logbook
Reply to: #985121 by buttercup60
Mar 31, 2020 2:54pm
Thread
It says I haven’t recorded any finds. What the heck happened?

I can see them in your logbook.
Are you sure you are looking at "Traditional"? Check to make sure all the options on that page are correct. Then if you still see a problem, post the link to the page (with all the options), so we can see what is going on. Thanks!
Printing Clues - not working
Mar 31, 2020 3:07pm
Thread
I tried to print a selected number of clues from one of my favorite searches. The "loading preview" just spins. I tried to print from another favorite search; same results. I know my mac is OLD and I will be replacing it later this year (as soon as we can get to the store).

I maxed out the RAM years ago. I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 and using Chrome browser 80.0.3987.162. I relaunched Chrome after confirming I had the latest version. I also downloaded and updated my printer's drivers after I couldn't get it to print.

I was able to print documents from other computer programs, so I wonder if it is AQ-related? Any suggestions?
Re: Printing Clues - not working
Reply to: #985124 by speedsquare
Mar 31, 2020 3:14pm
Thread
I had/have the same issue.
Worked a bit with Ryan, but we didn't find anything.

I did find that Microsoft Edge printed faster - although things were slightly formatted different than printing through Chrome.
Mar 31, 2020 3:28pm
Thread
There does seem to be an issue with Chrome if you try to print a lot of clues and I can't figure it out. If you print clues one at a time, it works fine. Even two or three clues at a time worked, although the "print preview" took surprisingly long to display.

I didn't change anything--it seems to be an issue that started with an update in Chrome and is a problem related to only that browser.

The only advice I have for now is to use something other than Chrome to print lots of clues or print clues one at a time. If any you technical people know what the problem is, let me know and maybe I can fix it.

-- Ryan
Mar 31, 2020 3:52pm
Thread
Also be sure to hit the funky Update button that's moving around at the upper left.
Reply to: #985126 by Green Tortuga
Mar 31, 2020 5:50pm
Thread
I will try a different browser, but it may make some sense - I was trying to print clues for this large series [Box #298710] and another one that had a large number of boxes.

I just figured it was the "conscience" that we need to "stay in place."
Mar 31, 2020 5:57pm
Thread
I switched to Safari browser and everything printed just fine. Thank you, Ryan!
Mar 31, 2020 6:40pm
Thread
I recorded my Ten boxes I found today and went to my log book and my whole list of 190 finds are gone.

Do you know what tomorrow is? GT is just early. ;-)
Reply to: #985133 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 31, 2020 6:50pm
Thread
Do you know what tomorrow is? GT is just early. ;-)

I would never mess with someone's logbook by deleting all of their finds! Do you know the RIOTS that would ensue if I tried a prank like that? Nope, no way... not gonna happen!

The finds really are there, though. I have to assume that the person was looking at the wrong page of their logbook, but I can't be certain without knowing the URL that they were using.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #985135 by Green Tortuga
Mar 31, 2020 6:56pm
Thread
But Wassa on the other hand.........
Reply to: #985135 by Green Tortuga
Mar 31, 2020 7:38pm
Thread
Discovered my mistake. I was trying to find out how to record a bonus box, clicked on “Others”, didn’t realize I didn’t switch it back to “traditional”.
All is great now, I have my whole list of finds back. My heart has calmed down. As for tomorrow, I can’t even imagine
What kind of pranks will be going on, but this would have been a good one for sure.
Thanks for the help.
Buttercup60
My Log Book
Mar 31, 2020 7:46pm
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I have my Log Book listings back. I had been trying to find how to record a bonus box, clicked on “Others”,
Didn’t switch back to “Traditional”. Almost gave me a ♥️attack. All is good now!
Please, NO April Fools jokes tomorrow 😊!!!
Reply to: #985137 by buttercup60
Mar 31, 2020 7:49pm
Thread
As for tomorrow, I can’t even imagine
What kind of pranks will be going on, but this would have been a good one for sure.

Well, last year all the drive-by clues took a hit.

The set-up

People's reactions
Apr 1, 2020 4:14am
Thread
I was told by techy’s that the slow down is because of everyone being out of work, and home from work and school
that the systems are slow everywhere. Between working from home, schooling from home, and everyone’s Skyping
and staying connected by computer/phone, everything is just slower loading. Hope this helps.
Apr 1, 2020 6:45am
Thread
I tried it with Chrome and just got a little bit of delay on the preview. Safari preview loaded immediately.

I also just hook my printer to the laptop. Wireless always seems to have issues so I don't even try that anymore.
Help I can’t log on to AtlasQuest!
Apr 1, 2020 7:37am
Thread
I can’t log on today. I’ve tried with my smartphone and my desktop. I’ve even tried with a friends computer. Nothing seems to work. I’ve tried several different browsers, I’ve refreshed, still nothing. Did Ryan re-configure the log-in? I guess I just won’t be able to check in with you guys today. ☹️
Re: Help I can’t log on to AtlasQuest!
Reply to: #985178 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 1, 2020 7:40am
Thread
Perhaps you didn't pass the virus screening?? 😉
Reply to: #985170 by MissMoon
Apr 1, 2020 7:48am
Thread
I stopped using safari several years ago, but now it seems to load much faster than Chrome for me. I, too, have my desktop connected directly to my printer. As much as I love my desktop, I am forced to get a laptop next time.
Apr 1, 2020 8:01am
Thread
Did you wash your hands first?
Apr 1, 2020 8:06am
Thread
Hummmm.