A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: LTC question
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #983460 by Damselfly
Feb 14, 2020 8:12am
Thread
Confession time- I have an obsession with my ink pads in that every time I buy one, I HAVE to buy a re-inker for it. If it doesn't have one available, then I just don't buy it. It really extends the life of the pads, and also keeps you going through a project. Distress Ink Pads can be "refreshed" with a spray that Ranger sells as well. Also, you can use ink from the re-inkers if you want to paint on any of your projects or if you want to create a background paper. 😊
Reply to: #983462 by LROSEM
Feb 14, 2020 3:25pm
Thread
No I do not. Just a spray I borrowed to try out... clearly I need to buy a reinker. Sounds like the right product. Thanks everyone all the positive feedback. Super helpful:)
Reply to: #983472 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 4:20am
Thread
Bring your ink pad over to house today. Now that I'm thinking about the question and what you need, I may have a large bottle of black ink in the craft closet that might work.

Question: Does it matter if the brands match or the age of the re-filler bottle?

How often should you need to refill a pad once you start doing it? Can you refill markers as well?
Reply to: #983477 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 15, 2020 4:24am
Thread
Will do. Thanks! 😁
Feb 15, 2020 4:26am
Thread
I use the refill brand that matches the ink pad because the inks are different. Some are thicker than others. Maybe the type of ink in the original question is part of the problem. Versafine is one of the best inks - pads last a long time, and refill bottles are available from Stampeaz. The extra cost is totally worth it!
Feb 15, 2020 6:43am
Thread
How often should you need to refill a pad once you start doing it?

That depends on how much stamping you're doing, how long you leave the pad open/uncovered while you work, etc. As soon as you see that the stamped image seems less than crisply saturated, add some ink to the pad. And yes, match the refill to the brand and type of ink for best results.

Can you refill markers as well?

Copic markers are refillable, and that is by far, the most economical way to go if you color with them regularly.
Reply to: #983482 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 15, 2020 6:47am
Thread
How about Marvy markers or Tombow? Can you refill those and how do you do that?
Feb 15, 2020 7:20am
Thread
I prefer to re-ink as needed. Different stamps require differing amounts of ink due to how much uncarved surface there is on the image.

I find trying to load the pad up too much causes my stamped image to be less crisp. I would prefer to ink up a little at a time throughout the run if needed.
Reply to: #983483 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 7:50am
Thread

I have some rarely used Marvy markers in my backpack for that occasional stamp in the wild that needs multiple colors. They have not dried out on me yet, and I don't use them often enough to use up the ink, so I have no idea if they are refillable. Haven't used Tombow at all.
Reply to: #983483 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 8:04pm
Thread

Someone (Deniserows?) once told me that she pulls the "cap" off the back of her markers when they have dried out and added a few drops of water. I have not tried it myself yet as my markers have "tips" at both ends.
Reply to: #983499 by PI Joe
Feb 15, 2020 10:14pm
Thread
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
We use markers a lot while “Seeking” boxes, so if we can find a way to keep them longer that would be nice.
Reply to: #983499 by PI Joe
Feb 15, 2020 10:35pm
Thread
ers when they have dried out and added a few drops of water. I have not tried it myself yet as my markers have "tips" at both ends.

I have been doing this for years. Still using the same set of markers because of it. I have double ended Marvy. I use a small pair of pliers to remove the black plastic cap on the small end and take the cover off the large end then have the water going at a very slow drip and drip in about three or four drops from the sink, basically enough to allow color to come out the big end. Then I put the lids back on leave them sitting big tip down in a cup for a while to let the water soak through and continue using them. They are at least 10 years old now
Reply to: #983500 by Damselfly
Feb 16, 2020 4:20am
Thread
If you store your markers tip down (And ink pads upside down) that also helps extend the life, I believe.
Reply to: #983504 by Mama Stork
Feb 16, 2020 4:39am
Thread
If you store your markers tip down (And ink pads upside down) that also helps extend the life

I agree but when you use them constantly, they run out steam. I notice the cold weather bothers them as well. Come on spring!
Help finding a boxer
Feb 16, 2020 7:57am
Thread
So I know her name is something like Jean Gray and she lives in TN maybe? I can't figure out how to find her, I've typed her name in a number of ways but I'm sure I'm just screwing it up and it's spelled outside of ways my imagination can come up with :) Anyone know her? She's rad.
Re: Help finding a boxer
Reply to: #983512 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 16, 2020 8:17am
Thread
I met Gene Gray at L&BXX from Tennessee. Maybe she is who you are looking for.
Feb 16, 2020 8:52am
Thread
Yes thanks so much :D I knew the community would be able to figure it out for me.
Feb 16, 2020 10:25am
Thread
How about Gene?
Reply to: #983518 by BEBO BEAR
Feb 16, 2020 10:45am
Thread
Reply to: #983510 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 16, 2020 2:16pm
Thread
I notice the cold weather bothers them as well.

If I'm boxing in cold weather, I'll keep my ink pad and markers in my jacket's inside breast pocket. Body heat keeps them a little warmer.
Listing a highway letterbox
Feb 20, 2020 1:15pm
Thread
So. I feel like I’ve managed to break the search function for highways. Things don’t pop up within a mile that should, and so when I tried to list a box with exact coordinates: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=313245 . It doesn’t pop up, either.

How do I accurately list a highway box?
Re: Listing a highway letterbox
Reply to: #983681 by Honeychyck
Feb 20, 2020 2:46pm
Thread
The one rest area box I ever did I just made the location the town that google said the rest area was in. Seemed to work.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/ohio-interstate-71/
Reply to: #983683 by MissMoon
Feb 20, 2020 3:01pm
Thread
That’s what RIClimber said to do... but half of his highway boxes don’t pop up on my highway search... which again, I’m not sure if I messed up the search somehow, but I’m definitely missing boxes along the way.
Feb 20, 2020 3:17pm
Thread
So. I feel like I’ve managed to break the search function for highways. Things don’t pop up within a mile that should, and so when I tried to list a box with exact coordinates: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=313245 . It doesn’t pop up, either.

AQ doesn't know that much about coordinates especially when you are comparing it to a road that has many coordinates.

Edit the location to make it include a city/state and it should work as expected.
Reply to: #983684 by Honeychyck
Feb 20, 2020 4:34pm
Thread
I’ve never had much faith in the highway search feature. I never use it. Honestly I think most people do it by town and distance from the town, to include the surrounding area. The one I did was found a few times so it must have popped up.
Feb 20, 2020 11:38pm
Thread
How do I accurately list a highway box?

I think you did a fine job of listing the highway box. I see it in a search of I-71 just fine. When you add a new location, it might not show up in the search results immediately, however, because highway searches are so complicated that it takes AQ several minutes to run a search. Which isn't practical so click "search" then wait several minutes for the results. So instead, AQ pre-calculates the results and stores the results which is what it actually displays when you run a highway search--the pre-calculated results. And AQ will only run those calculations about once per month.

So if you add a new location, it might take up a month before the results show up in a highway search. If you can use an existing location, it'll show up immediately since the old location would have already been calculated.

So basically.... you just need to be more patient. =)

However, that said, I'd highly recommend filling out as much of the location information that you can including the state, county and nearest city and even the name of the rest area or the MM of its location. It helps people figure out where it is without needing a GPS.

And it's required for your box to show up in other searches like an area search. Right now, AQ has absolutely no idea what state your box is in so if you tried to run a search for all boxes in Ohio, your box will not show up. Area searches aren't based on coordinates--they're based on the the state or county or country or whatever area is being searched. If you don't include a state, AQ won't include your box in the list of states.

I know it's inconvenient to add all that "unnecessary" information that you don't feel is important, but the more information you can provide, the more searches it will show up in and the more accurate the listing will be in the search results.

-- Ryan
Feb 20, 2020 11:45pm
Thread
That’s what RIClimber said to do... but half of his highway boxes don’t pop up on my highway search...

If you put just a city as the location of the box, it often will not show up on a highway search. Especially if it's a big city. Take Seattle, for instance. It's currently listed as having a radius of 7.8 miles.

So AQ knows a box should be within 7.8 miles of the city center, but if you run a highway search for all boxes within 5 miles of the highway, a box "somewhere in Seattle" won't make the cut because it might be outside of the search range.

Basically, the best policy is to always provide as much information about the location of a box as possible. List a specific address or park as precisely and completely as possible. If it's a new location, it won't show up on highway searches immediately but it'll eventually get there and all of the searches will be as accurate and precise as they'll ever be.

If you list a box vaguely as "somewhere" in a city, it'll show up lower down in the search results since precisely-located boxes will get a higher priority. And in the case of highway searches by particularly large cities, a box "somewhere" in the city might not show up in the search results at all.

-- Ryan
Feb 21, 2020 9:06am
Thread
I don't know if this will help...
I have found that if there is a keyword of rest area I can find the highway boxes because I then run a search for the "rest area" boxes in a particular state. The clue then leads me to the rest area (for example: rest areas in New York State. I then look at all of the rest area boxes and the clue might say something like I90 west bound. The rest area right after a particular MM). So I guess my suggestion would be to put rest area in the keyword spot.

It might be a little tedious for the searchers, but this is how I do it. (and I *try* to make sure I have enough time to do this-with a bit of planning I usually can get there).

I hope it helps! (and good luck :) )
Feb 21, 2020 1:20pm
Thread
I've found that entering the exact coordinates works great UNLESS you are also using a name that is similar to something that is already in the database. This is a problem when you have a park or trail or road that is so big it has many different possible locations that could apply. A work-around for me is to create a new name just different enough so that it works.

For example, Sleeping Giant State Park is in the database with a specific location. If you try to enter the location for the small lot on the far side of the park with latitude longitude, it won't take it if you use the name Sleeping Giant State Park, because that's already in the database. And it might not take Sleeping Giant east lot, either, because it apparently looks for similar names and automatically lumps them together. But it might take East lot, Sleeping Giant as a new location and assign those new coordinates. I just experiment until something works.
Feb 21, 2020 4:25pm
Thread
If I do a 30 mile search of Columbus it comes up on page four at 15.6 miles. Lot of boxes in that area.