About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Change in typeface?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jan 4, 2020 12:53pm
Thread
I've got an odd question. Last night I was running AQ on my desktop. I believe I left the room, came back, and noticed that the menu items across the top of the home page (Home, Toolbox, etc.) were displaying in a different font. That is to say I don't think I did anything; the fonts appeared to have changed when I was out of the room. All the items on these menus have also changed in font. This goes for the menus across the top of the home page and across the bottom. I don't know what font it is, but it's a serifed font. The menu headers display in all caps with the first letter larger than the rest. The items on the menus are serifed with only the first letter in caps. The widget names on the home page have also changed fonts. It's a non-serif font in all caps. Everything else on my home page looks normal. Also, AQ on my phone looks the same as it always has.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or did I just inadvertently change my fonts?
Re: Change in typeface?
Reply to: #982271 by Dawnkey
Jan 4, 2020 12:55pm
Thread
I noticed it, too.
Reply to: #982272 by Rocklun
Jan 4, 2020 1:12pm
Thread
It looks the same on my phone but
I haven’t been on the laptop.
Reply to: #982274 by MissMoon
Jan 4, 2020 1:31pm
Thread
It looks the same on my phone but
I haven’t been on the laptop.

Yeah, it looks the same on my phone, too, but not on my desktop.
Reply to: #982271 by Dawnkey
Jan 4, 2020 3:40pm
Thread
or did I just inadvertently change my fonts?

No, I've been tweaking stuff. Phones seem to be slower at picking up the new CSS. It'll change there too. Eventually.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982277 by Rocklun
Jan 4, 2020 4:41pm
Thread
Oh now it’s different on the phone.
Times New Roman Font...
Jan 5, 2020 2:43pm
Thread
... is hard to read.

Can we change it? If not, please put it back to the font you had before.

Lynn
Re: Times New Roman Font...
Reply to: #982301 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 5, 2020 6:58pm
Thread
I don’t find it hard to read but it’s very light in color. Doesn’t stand out enough. The old font was fine.
Reply to: #982305 by MissMoon
Jan 5, 2020 7:34pm
Thread
Chiming in here. This font is very light and the lines are very narrow. It is unintelligible to me.

I would hate to have to resort to using a screenreading program with my visual disability.

Warrior Woman
has enough challenges already, thankyouverymuch
Reply to: #982301 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 5, 2020 11:09pm
Thread
... is hard to read.

Can we change it?

I didn't actually change the font. It's always been Times New Roman. I just tweaked the properties of it for the menubars and titles.

I don’t find it hard to read but it’s very light in color.

I think this comment misses the mark as well--the colors for the headers I did change, but I actually made them darker to increase contrast.

I think there are a couple of things to consider here.

First, it helps if you're more specific about exactly which parts are difficult to read. I changed things in a lot of places, but I doubt all of the changes are giving you problems. The h1 tag I increased in size nearly 50% and cut the lightness of the HSL color by about 20%, for example. If you're having trouble reading that... well, I don't know how you can read anything on this site. It's literally the largest font I've ever used on this site! (I thought some people might actually complain that it was too large!)

So please, details counts. Exactly which areas of which page(s) are a problem. I have no plans to undo 50 different tweaks just because one or two of them might be causing trouble.

And secondly, I wonder if some of the complaints might be theme-related since I updated the code at about the same time the theme had changed. The text on the bottom menu bar could use a little more contrast (I think so), but those are colors specific to this theme.

-- Ryan
Problem with Names of Boxes in the Finds Summary graph/box
Jan 6, 2020 6:26am
Thread
I have noticed an issue with the postal Tracker page. Specifically the Names of the boxes in the finds summary graph/box. The names are way up in the chart and only have a portion of the name.

Dead Pool 2019

Dead Pool 2020

Star Trek: The Next Generation is especially annoying.
Re: Problem with Names of Boxes in the Finds Summary graph/box
Reply to: #982317 by J Walkers
Jan 6, 2020 7:05am
Thread
I have been seeing that with traditional listings, too.
Re: Problem with Names of Boxes in the Finds Summary graph/box
Reply to: #982317 by J Walkers
Jan 6, 2020 12:39pm
Thread
I have noticed an issue with the postal Tracker page.

This should be fixed now, although you might have to refresh the CSS your browser is using to see the changes. If you don't see the fix yet... eventually, your browser will update the fix on its own!

-- Ryan

PS. Thanks for the links to examples. That's very useful!
Reply to: #982311 by Green Tortuga
Jan 6, 2020 8:06pm
Thread
Maybe the font is too "thin" to easily see on a cell phone?

I did appreciate the font being a bit "thicker" but suppose I will adjust to it this way.

Thank you for your efforts and your website. :^)
Reply to: #982334 by BetsyLee
Jan 6, 2020 8:25pm
Thread
I dont like the menu bars. Being all caps and very narrow is hard to read.
The widget titles gave a slight double letter effect (shading?) That makes them look blurry.
Jan 6, 2020 8:29pm
Thread
Looks fine to me. I think this is a great place and I appreciate all that Ryan does in attempting to keep this site current, updated and his responsiveness to our concerns/suggestions.

Not trying to green nose, just my .02¢. 😄
Jan 6, 2020 8:32pm
Thread
Ryan,
Here is a screenshot of my menus.
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4857
I don't remember it being Times New Roman, but in any case, could you make them BOLD?
Lynn
AQ Density Map
Jan 6, 2020 9:36pm
Thread
I haven't gotten around to renewing my premium membership and the map has disappeared from my profile. Has it always been a premium feature?
Re: AQ Density Map
Reply to: #982342 by MissMoon
Jan 6, 2020 10:15pm
Thread
Has it always been a premium feature?

Yes.
Jan 7, 2020 9:11am
Thread
thanks for changing it back! My eyes thank you.
Reply to: #982357 by JampersandJ
Jan 7, 2020 11:23am
Thread
Oh, what happened? The menu's now reverted back to the Times New Roman. It used to look like an Arial font.

I have all Apple devices, btw. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Reply to: #982362 by JampersandJ
Jan 7, 2020 11:56am
Thread
Oh, what happened?

Nothing between your two posts.

The menu's now reverted back to the Times New Roman. It used to look like an Arial font.

Maybe it looked like the Arial font, but it wasn't. The only change I made to the menubar was making the font bold.

I have all Apple devices, btw. Don't know if that makes a difference.

It might be different on different devices. Depends on what fonts are installed. But if you were looking at AQ with multiple devices, one of them might be using the older (un-bolded) CSS. It'll catch up on its own, though. Eventually. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982363 by Green Tortuga
Jan 7, 2020 9:07pm
Thread
Hi Ryan,

I didn't actually change the font. It's always been Times New Roman. I just tweaked the properties of it for the menubars and titles.

Perplexing statement, since I've always seen the Arial-like font until recently for the menubars and titles. From some of the comments/agrees, some other people saw a change also on their screens. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that some of our devices wasn't recognizing the Times New Roman as it was, and was substituting another font (in my case, "Arial") in its place. When you did your most recent tweak, our devices started to recognize the Times New Roman and started to show it.

But now I'm wondering, am I seeing what other people are seeing? What font is supposed to show up when we type in the message box? I am seeing an Arial-like font.

Which got me checking other things - I just noticed that the font that shows up on the screen when I look at clues IS NOT the font used when the clues are printed out!

Not that I want anything changed - I can do what I want to do on AQ. It's just one of those head scratching - hmmm? things in life.
Reply to: #982374 by JampersandJ
Jan 7, 2020 10:32pm
Thread
What font is supposed to show up when we type in the message box?

Currently, it's set to use verdana, arial, helvetica, and sans-serif. It checks each of the fonts in turn looking for a match until it finds one.

As a general rule, I've always preferred serif fonts for titles and headers that are larger than normal and sans-serif fonts for large blocks of text or smaller text. If it's larger than the normal-sized text, it's probably a serif font.

There are some exceptions I might have overlooked (I'm noticing the submit, preview and cancel buttons are using sans-serif even though they're larger than normal text), but as a general rule, that's what I've followed. Text boxes, with potentially large amounts of text, are supposed to be Arial. The text is actually larger than normal text, although that's a relatively new from the last year or two. Historically, the text had been the same size as normal text as well, but I found it easier to use the textarea boxes on smartphones when the font was bigger. I can place the cursor more accurately. People with mobility issues might have an easier time with a mouse as well. So I had increased the size of the font in that particular location but never changed the font used.

On a related note, I thought I had made the menubar headers in bold but I misspoke. I made the text larger rather than bolding it. (It looked kind of bold to me until I started digging into the code more and realized it wasn't.) Maybe the serifs weren't as noticeable when the text was smaller?

am I seeing what other people are seeing?

Probably not. Different devices, different operating system, different support for fonts... everybody sees AQ just a little bit differently!

I just noticed that the font that shows up on the screen when I look at clues IS NOT the font used when the clues are printed out!

Yes, I've always preferred the serif fonts on printed materials. Has more of a "book-look" and seemed nicer that way. It doesn't suffer the same pixilation issues that monitors often suffer from.

There are a lot of tweaks AQ does for printed materials. It strips out menubars and footers (not very useful when they're printed), removes background colors, etc. As well as possibly different fonts. Although I admit I sometimes forget to check the printed version of page when I made adjustments to the CSS.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982375 by Green Tortuga
Jan 8, 2020 10:23am
Thread
Many many thanks for taking the time to explain the hows and whys of your fonts set up. I appreciate it a lot!
Jan 8, 2020 11:34am
Thread
I'm also having trouble reading the menu bar. Serif is more difficult to read on a screen, and all-caps are harder to read anywhere.
Jan 10, 2020 7:55pm
Thread
I appreciate your explanation of your choice of fonts. It makes sense, I just never thought about it before.
Frankly, I am very impressed with all that you do to keep this site up and running. Thanks so much...very grateful!
Missing listed Event
Jan 11, 2020 7:37am
Thread
We had an event listed for October, "Creepy Crawly at the Elks". It is no longer showing on the calendar list. Can you help?

Ray
Happydaze
Re: Missing listed Event
Reply to: #982451 by Happy Daze
Jan 11, 2020 2:02pm
Thread
It is no longer showing on the calendar list. Can you help?

It looks like it was deleted somehow because it's not in the database anywhere. I can't tell you who or when it was deleted--deleted events are just deleted. There's not really any record of who or why it was deleted.

But I'll manually re-add the event from what I found in the backups.

-- Ryan
Re: Missing listed Event
Reply to: #982455 by Green Tortuga
Jan 11, 2020 2:25pm
Thread
But I'll manually re-add the event from what I found in the backups.

I've done this recreating the listing from what I found on the backups, but since I'm not sure when the event was deleted, I'm not sure how many signups or changes to the listing happened after the backup where I found the listing so some of the information could be old. You'll definitely want to edit it with any new information that was recorded after this backup ran!

And for anyone who signed up for the event after the backup ran, they'll have to sign up again too.

Sorry for the hassle. Deleting events is typically a pretty permanent process--I had to dig into the backups to find what I did.

-- Ryan