Reply to: #981285 by MissMoon
Nov 18, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
Yes! That's it. Thank you.
Boxes in Winter
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Nov 19, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
Should call my boxes that I've taken in for the fall/winter season "inactive" or simply put a note in the clue to the effect that I've taken them in for the season.
Re: Boxes in Winter
Reply to: #981297 by Purple Coneflower
Nov 19, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
I suggest changing the status of the boxes to "unavailable" and add a note to the clue that says the boxes will be unavailable until (spring) (date) (further notice) or whatever.
return AQ theme to default
Nov 23, 2019 2:26am
Thread
I tried out a background theme for a day and then wanted to go back to the default of having the AQ generated theme for the day and I am having difficulty. I went to Preferences - Theme Options. Currently for Selected Theme my preferences says "You currently have no theme selected!" Is there something more I need to do to get back to AQ's theme for the day? Thanks. :-)
Re: return AQ theme to default
Reply to: #981330 by roo
Nov 23, 2019 7:34am
Thread
Is there something more I need to do to get back to AQ's theme for the day?

Nope, that's it. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981333 by Green Tortuga
Nov 25, 2019 11:17am
Thread
I have mine set for default -- always fun to see the different themes.

However, why is it when I click on "About Custom Theme", I only see one for Dogs and a button to set it?

Thanks!

KuKu
Reply to: #981388 by KuKu
Nov 25, 2019 12:21pm
Thread
However, why is it when I click on "About Custom Theme", I only see one for Dogs and a button to set it?

Because that IS the theme you selected. You don't have your theme set to show the default--you have it set to show the Dogs theme.

But the theme doesn't have anything in it which is why you still see the "default". Nothing in the theme overwrites the defaults. If ChristmasPuppy ever edited her theme, though, it would affect what you saw. *nodding*

Just because it doesn't look like you have a custom theme installed doesn't mean that you don't! If you see the "About Custom Theme" link... it means you have a custom theme installed.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981330 by roo
Nov 25, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
You may think that you set a custom theme because it has been rocks for the past few days. I have been getting the changing themes, but why has it been rocks lately?
Reply to: #981393 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 25, 2019 3:31pm
Thread
why has it been rocks lately?

It's a theme that I never used before so when I changed the CSS code, nobody had cached versions of it and therefore nobody has to refresh the page to see the menus correctly*.

I figured leaving it up for a couple of weeks should finally allow all browsers to stop using the old CSS before I go back to the "normal" themes.

I'll probably change it to rocks for a couple of weeks whenever I do a CSS change that would otherwise cause mass panic on the site.

-- Ryan

* Of course, none of that applies to people who select their own custom themes to override the default--but I figure they know what they're doing and can figure things out on their own.
Easily plotting letterboxes on a map?
Nov 27, 2019 10:45am
Thread
Similar to the way geocaches are displayed as points on a map on the app and website. Is there any way to do this with letterboxing? All I could come up with is figuring out the address of each one in an area and plot it on google maps, but this seemed like really tedious. I’m just trying to figure out how to make planning for letterboxing more convenient when routing or if I am in a certain area. Since there’s no map for letterboxing it’s more difficult to search for them on the fly. Is there an option for this on the website that I am just blatantly missing? Thanks a bunch!
Re: Easily plotting letterboxes on a map?
Reply to: #981431 by NeonKraken
Nov 27, 2019 11:06am
Thread
At the top of any page of search results, just click 'Map Results' and you will see them on a Google map. Or check the boxes next to certain letterboxes, and click 'Map Boxes' at the bottom of the page to see only those boxes on the map. I think this is what you're looking for.
Reply to: #981433 by TJ_Mich
Nov 27, 2019 12:06pm
Thread
At the top of any page of search results, just click 'Map Results' and you will see them on a Google map.

Many, if not most, of the boxes will be shown inaccurately, though. Good enough for sifting through boxes during a search, but not good enough for parking. Some may be shown in the wrong parks or towns.

You can change the custom location for each on AQ, not sure if that's a premium thing or not. I don't usually do that because I lose track of which boxes on the map I've adjusted, but instead I create my own "My Map" using Google, generally creating a map for a particular locality. Say we're going to Acadia in Maine, I'll have a MyMap with locations for our accommodations, some key shopping or sightseeing locations, and then the parking areas for specific boxes I've chosen to look for. I'll spend a lot of time getting the parking location exactly right, using satellite and street views if needed, because I hate driving up and down the road trying to find a little parking lot. If there's a long trail or very large trail system, I'll also add that to the map.

The downside to Google Map is that is won't work if you can't get a connection when you first open up the app. So I export the map as a kml file and import that to Maps.ME, which works offline. Horrible driving directions in that app, but on the plus side, it often shows hiking trails.
Reply to: #981435 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 27, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
You can change the custom location for each on AQ, not sure if that's a premium thing or not.

It is a premium member perk. GT or Wassa can confirm that.
Nov 27, 2019 2:28pm
Thread
All I could come up with is figuring out the address of each one in an area and plot it on google maps, but this seemed like really tedious.

I agree it's tedious but when you do it ahead of time on your computer or laptop and then load the GPS with each specific location you can just pop from box to box with no grief. For me that totally makes up for the tedious planning. At least that's how it works for me.

But I use my old Magellan GPS sitting at the desk loading it up. I don't use a car GPS or the phone app.

Clicking on 'view map' or 'map results' is useless for getting to the specific spot you need to get to.
Nov 27, 2019 7:48pm
Thread
Have you tried the Clue Tracker app? You still have to figure out the exact location location (if not given by the planter) and specify it on AQ or directly on the app. Then when you’re in an area, you can opt to see your location on the map within the app and see what boxes are nearby. Next you can have the app obtain gps directions to the box using your favorite maps app (Google or Apple).

It’s a pleasure to use and makes letterboxing so much more fun.
No Carver?
Dec 1, 2019 5:19pm
Thread
We are planning and planting boxes for the Christmas Box event this weekend. We have some stamps that were shared with us and for which we do not know who are the carvers. What should I put in the series info field?
Re: No Carver?
Reply to: #981524 by RDHG
Dec 1, 2019 5:48pm
Thread
I would list the carver as Unknown.
Reply to: #981525 by THE RED CYCLONE
Dec 1, 2019 5:53pm
Thread
Aah. I did not know that that was an option. Thank you, TRC.
Reply to: #981525 by THE RED CYCLONE
Dec 1, 2019 8:01pm
Thread
I would list the carver as Unknown.

I wouldn't do that. That's actually an account on AQ--you'd just be giving credit for the stamps to the person with "unknown" account. Although as I look through the account's logbook, it would appear that this isn't the first time it's happened.

You should just leave the carver blank if the carver is unknown, unidentified or is not on AQ.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981529 by Green Tortuga
Dec 1, 2019 8:20pm
Thread
I guess I will need to update a few of my boxes... Did not know that somebody had used the "unknown" trail name. Will get this worked out soon.
Reply to: #981524 by RDHG
Dec 2, 2019 5:33am
Thread
The carver is not the person who sent you the stamp? Or if not you cannot ask the person who sent it who carved it?

The stamp must have a source, someone, somewhere.
Reply to: #981531 by MissMoon
Dec 2, 2019 6:26am
Thread
No, it is not the person who sent the stamps. They are some recycled stamps, and there is no name on the backs. I aim to give credit where credit is due. However, if I cannot find the carver, I do not want to give the wrong credit.
Reply to: #981529 by Green Tortuga
Dec 2, 2019 6:27am
Thread
Ryan, I did not know that the carver field could be left blank. Thank you for the advice.
Crayola Markers
Dec 2, 2019 8:03am
Thread
Are the WASHABLE markers as good as the regular Crayola markers? I thought I remembered a note from someone saying they were not as good.
Reply to: #981532 by RDHG
Dec 2, 2019 9:14am
Thread
Can you describe the stamps or post a pict in your album of the stamps? There are quite a few Christmas collections traveling that some of us are familiar with.
Reply to: #981539 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Dec 2, 2019 9:14am
Thread
Ooh, I did not think of that. How do I make an album?
Reply to: #981540 by RDHG
Dec 2, 2019 9:16am
Thread
How do I make an album?

Under Toolbox, Photo Gallery, click on the Create Album icon.
Re: Crayola Markers
Reply to: #981537 by Sagacorn
Dec 3, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
I use them for LTCs because they are bright and easy, but not for the outdoor boxing. Stuff gets damp or wet, you know, then you have a faded out mess.

I don't have any special advice, but nobody replied to you, and I didn't want you to think nobody cared.

Maybe someone else will have something better to say now. :^)
Sub-accounts
Dec 3, 2019 6:34pm
Thread
Someone, help me out? I want to create a new sub-account for my new trail horse, Molly (she'll be going by "Honeypony"), but I can't recall how to do that or where to find it. I've also lost track of my Mom's account (Honeymama) and how to access that.

Oops?
Re: Sub-accounts
Reply to: #981569 by Honeychyck
Dec 3, 2019 6:42pm
Thread
My Page --> My Accounts
+ Create New Sub-Account