Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Bonus box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #980606 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 28, 2019 8:04am
Thread
Here’s the deal.

If I miss a bonus box for whatever reason life goes on. If for some reason I am back in that same area I may or may not go back for it. Chances are I don’t back there, don’t get the bonus box and as I said life goes on just fine without it.

The listing of bonus boxes is very simple. There is nothing complicated about it. Nor is there anything complicated about logging the find if one finds the bonus.
Re: Duplicate emails
Reply to: #980596 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 28, 2019 8:20am
Thread
This could all be related to the delay when you hit send and so we hit send a second or third time... and it eventually does.
Re: Search Preferences
Reply to: #980600 by phynstar
Oct 28, 2019 9:02am
Thread
When doing an advanced search, there are some boxes with a green check showing. It is probably my misunderstanding. Can someone explain?

You might be overriding the defaults, but I can't really tell with the information you provided. If you have a favorite search that you're running, for instance, the search will use the settings from that rather than your defaults.

When you see boxes in your search that you think should be there, click the "edit search" button to see exactly the search AQ is running. If the hiding of your finds, plants and attempts aren't checked, it wasn't using your defaults. You'll have to edit the link that generated the search.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980611 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 11:34am
Thread
I thought that the "My Preferences": Letterboxes and Search automatically Hide Finds, Hides Plants, etc. if selected and saved. Then we need not choose them each time on a traditional search....?
Trying to get rid of the X
Oct 28, 2019 2:54pm
Thread
I keep getting X’s next to my comments and on my recorded finds. How do I get rid of those?
I Don’t want to accidentally delete something by hitting the red X. Or have someone else delete something on my page.
Thanks
Buttercup60
Re: Trying to get rid of the X
Reply to: #980622 by buttercup60
Oct 28, 2019 3:33pm
Thread
The ‘x’ is just a normal feature giving you the option to delete. You can’t get rid of it. No one else can delete your finds.

The owner of a box does have the option to delete comments but unless there is some issue it is very rarely done. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you accidentally delete something you can just do it over.
Oct 28, 2019 3:47pm
Thread
I Don’t want to accidentally delete something by hitting the red X.

If you do accidentally hit the red X, you'll get a warning asking if you're sure you really do want to delete that find or comment. Then you can just hit Cancel in the case of comments, or No, do not delete this find, in the case of recorded finds.
Reply to: #980615 by phynstar
Oct 28, 2019 4:26pm
Thread
I thought that the "My Preferences": Letterboxes and Search automatically Hide Finds, Hides Plants, etc. if selected and saved.

Yes, but you can override those defaults, and the defaults only apply to new searches--not old ones that you may have bookmarked or saved.

And it sounds like you're running searches that are overriding that default, but it's hard to tell because you haven't provided enough information about how you're running the searches or the URL of the final search. I'm trying to elicit additional information from you so I can help.

Or maybe there is a genuine bug in the code. But if there is, you haven't provided enough information for me to reproduce the problem and it's very difficult for me to fix a bug I can't see.

So... more details, please! If I logged into your account, how can I recreate this problem you described? Exactly what page do I go to, what links/buttons do I click.

You can never include too much information about a problem. Eidolon tries to test that theory sometimes, but he's never succeeded!

-- Ryan
Oct 28, 2019 4:27pm
Thread
I keep getting X’s next to my comments and on my recorded finds. How do I get rid of those?

I suppose you could delete your comments and finds, but that seems a little counter-productive. =)

I Don’t want to accidentally delete something by hitting the red X.

No worries! AQ will ask for a confirmation before actually deleting them.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980624 by Dawnkey
Oct 28, 2019 4:30pm
Thread
Forgot about the r u sure thingie.
Re: Slow 'send' on AQ
Reply to: #980601 by Sagacorn
Oct 28, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
I too have the delay. Sometimes I think I didn't send it and hit send again.
Oct 28, 2019 5:32pm
Thread
I just got five copies of the same AQ mail today... It was a reply to an event message that I'm guessing the person did a reply all type of thing but that should still not have sent me so many copies of the same message.
Re: Slow 'send' on AQ
Reply to: #980601 by Sagacorn
Oct 28, 2019 6:30pm
Thread
I also have noticed the delay in sending. And I'm also getting many duplicates, sometimes up to 4 of the same message. I think it's because people are hitting the send button more than once. I know I did that a few times until I realized it was taking several seconds.

So two issues, but one problem, I believe. Hoping this information helps to speed things up.
Reply to: #980625 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 8:42pm
Thread
Eidolon tries to test that theory sometimes, but he's never succeeded!

Hey it isn't my fault that I come up with obscure, complicated search scenario that you obviously failed to properly build into AQ so they require a ten minute explanation to tell you what I think it SHOULD be doing and you tell me I am nuts.
Reply to: #980646 by Eidolon
Oct 28, 2019 8:47pm
Thread
you tell me I am nuts.

Just the last time. Usually you find weird and obscure bugs and I think, how the heck did you even find that bug?!

But there was one time I remember you emailing me a long, VERY detailed bug report that spanned several pages and I pretty much only needed the first sentence to troubleshoot it.

But even though I didn't need most of the information you provided, I still appreciated the fact that you provided it! =)

You're the only person who regularly provides more information than I often need, but it's a wonderful problem for me to have! Sometimes I have to do extra work to track down a problem with incomplete information and sometimes I can't track a problem down at all.

-- Ryan
Custom location bug?
Oct 29, 2019 10:01am
Thread
Since AQ came back from being down for maintenance a few minutes ago, I seem to be experiencing a bug with the custom location. When I type in a custom location and hit Store, if my custom location is automatically accepted, then all is well.

But if not, I'm presented with a list of location suggestions. It used to be that I could click one of the items on the list, that item would then populate the location box, and I could store it. Now if I click on a list item, nothing happens. I can get around it by editing the location box so that it exactly matches a suggested item, but this obviously isn't up to the usual slick AQ standards.

You're the only person who regularly provides more information than I often need, but it's a wonderful problem for me to have!

I'm tempted to ramble on to try to get to Eidolon's level, but alas my lunch hour is over.
Re: Custom location bug?
Reply to: #980675 by Dawnkey
Oct 29, 2019 10:14am
Thread
Yep, definitely a bug. Sorry about that! I'm uploading a fix now. Might be a few minutes before you see it working again, but the fix is being uploaded as I type this now! =)

You may have to "refresh" the page to see the fix as well since I had to change the JavaScript which is typically cached. It won't work if your browser is using the old JS.

-- Ryan
Oct 29, 2019 10:19am
Thread
The duplicate email problem should be fixed for the most part now. If anyone does get a duplicate now, though, I'd very much like to know about it.

The slow posts will still be slow for the time being. I'm still tweaking the database configuration, but it's one of those things where I change one setting at a time, see how it affect things, then come back hours later (or the next day) and tweak something else.

It's a slow process....

But this update I just did should fix the duplicate email problem (or at least reduce it significantly).

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980676 by Green Tortuga
Oct 29, 2019 11:01am
Thread
Thanks, Ryan!
Reply to: #980675 by Dawnkey
Oct 29, 2019 11:54am
Thread
I'm tempted to ramble on to try to get to Eidolon's level, but alas my lunch hour is over.

I can provide tutoring to improve your efficiency and wordiness.
AQ Seems Slow
Oct 29, 2019 7:52pm
Thread
Lately AQ seems to be running slow, opening links, sending mail, posting messages. SLOW!
Re: AQ Seems Slow
Reply to: #980694 by Phoenix Rizing
Oct 30, 2019 4:53pm
Thread
I've gotten the good old 'taking too long to respond message a couple of times. Do I want to reload?
allowing (or not) event boxes at my event
Oct 30, 2019 5:18pm
Thread
Hi! I posted my annual birthday event (you'all are welcome to attend, BTW!!! :) ).
I tried to make it so that no event boxes would be allowed (I make a few, but don't want any added...I have my reasons).
I tried clicking do not allow event boxes.
I tried clicking allow event boxes.
Both lead to allowing boxes.
Please help!

Thanks for everything!!!
-PLP/Flo
Reply to: #980677 by Green Tortuga
Oct 30, 2019 7:43pm
Thread
I received duplicate emails today.
The other duplicate emails were earlier in the week (Monday) before you located the bug. Thank you for your dedication Ryan!
Re: allowing (or not) event boxes at my event
Reply to: #980728 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Oct 31, 2019 10:05am
Thread
I suggest you mention that you don't want people to bring their event boxes in the description of your event.
If you make it so people cannot add them to your event, that would just frustrate people into wondering why they can't add their event box and they might bring it anyway.
If you tell them ahead of time, then they will know how you really feel.
mb
Re: allowing (or not) event boxes at my event
Reply to: #980728 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Oct 31, 2019 11:36am
Thread
Sorry about that. The bug should be fixed now. Give it another whirl! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980603 by photopam
Oct 31, 2019 1:50pm
Thread
So I will just jump in late with another clue variation. I sometimes put a hint to the bonus box into the clue of the parent box, just so the sharp eyed folks know they should look for a bonus clue in the box. I do enough dumb stuff when I'm boxing I don't need to find out I missed a bonus when I get home.
Reply to: #980754 by Maude
Oct 31, 2019 4:01pm
Thread
I have found some of your "hinted" bonus boxes! Those are so fun to do.
Recording finds on sub-account
Nov 1, 2019 2:05pm
Thread
I just added two grandchildren as sub-accounts. Logging finds was very easy since my account and theirs showed up on a menu. Thanks for simplifying this! But the problem comes when they have found boxes that I planted. There doesn't appear to be any way to add these finds to their logbooks. Is it designed this way or am I missing something?
Re: Recording finds on sub-account
Reply to: #980775 by Quite Contrary
Nov 1, 2019 2:34pm
Thread
Is it designed this way or am I missing something?

I wouldn't say it was "designed" this way--just kind of how it worked out. You can't record a find on your boxes so you have no access to a "record find" page, and that's the page you use to record finds on sub-accounts as well.

I didn't really "design" it that way, though. It was just a scenario I never really thought of before and it never occurred to me to allow options for recording finds on sub-accounts on the "maintenance" page.

-- Ryan