A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Verifying email address
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #980485 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 20, 2019 2:58pm
Thread
It would just be the notifications of new AQ mail. That's all you should be getting.
Re: Verifying email address
Reply to: #980486 by Green Tortuga
Oct 21, 2019 10:55am
Thread
My understanding is that it is somehow a matter of time, before the bounced email notifications stop. So I continue to verify my email each time.

Today, sent (4:00am)I have the normal email in yahoo that says “you have new messages . . . “ and in fact, I did, and read it.

Then, sent at 9:00am was the ‘bounced email’ notification which I again verified. Should I be getting both? Seems like the notifications are intermittent, and not consistent?
My Contacts
Oct 23, 2019 8:32am
Thread
I've created a short list of contacts (quite awhile ago) and I've noticed that I cannot access the links on those.

For example, I wanted to send a message to one of my contacts. I went to the page where they are listed, but when I click on the envelope icon, nothing happens. The same is true if I click on the profile icon. However, I can click on the "view logbook" and "notes" icons and those do work.

Clearly, I know that I can go to the People drop down menu and write an AQ message that way. This was just a shortcut I had set up which was working wonderfully well.

Thoughts?
Angel Wink
Re: My Contacts
Reply to: #980521 by Angel Winks
Oct 23, 2019 10:45am
Thread
I'm not sure what to tell you. As far as I can tell, everything is working properly. I even logged into your account, went to the My Contacts page, and clicked the profile button for every one of your contacts, but all of them worked just fine.

Maybe it was just a fluke? What browser are you using? Not that I can imagine that would be a problem. The icons are just simple links. It really shouldn't matter what browser you're using--a link is the same across all browsers.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980524 by Green Tortuga
Oct 23, 2019 1:18pm
Thread
Very odd. When I click on the icon, the "read mail" of the person below flickers like crazy.

I use Google Chrome.

Maybe I'll delete all my contacts and then reload them. Thanks for your input.

AW
Reply to: #980526 by Angel Winks
Oct 23, 2019 5:35pm
Thread
I tried it in Chrome and saw the weird behavior you described. As far as I can tell, it's a browser bug. There's no reason I can find for the flicker and it appears limited to that browser. Seems like someone would have mentioned it sooner if it had been around since the very beginning.

Anyhow, I couldn't really find a way to make the flickering stop except by turning the "Read Mail" button into a link and it seems to work better on my system now. *shrug*

Very weird, though...

- Ryan
Reply to: #980528 by Green Tortuga
Oct 23, 2019 5:47pm
Thread
You are amazing. All is well again.
Bonus box
Oct 26, 2019 3:13am
Thread
How exactly does one list a bonus box?
Re: Bonus box
Reply to: #980571 by KatieKat
Oct 26, 2019 4:49am
Thread
A bonus box is exactly like a regular traditional box ~ assuming you are putting the bonus clue into a traditional box, or burying the clue in the clue of a traditional box. EX-cept!
When you get to the last page of the listing - RESTRICTIONS - and you look down near the bottom of those options.
A Dependency is what you want. There's a place to put the AQ number of the 'parent' box - the box you want people to find before they can see the bonus box's existence.
So before you start listing the bonus box, you need to have listed the 'parent' box, and have it's AQ# handy.
Last tip: you will be able to see the bonus box's listing, but no one else will see it, so it will be a secret known only to those who find your 'parent' box, which is pretty much what a bonus box is ~ shh-hh
Reply to: #980573 by Maude
Oct 26, 2019 5:45am
Thread
Thank you Maude.
Reply to: #980573 by Maude
Oct 26, 2019 8:21am
Thread
Another tip: You generally don't generally give a clue online for the bonus box, though you can. You may want to list the real clue so that they can find it after they have found the parent box, but they have to make two trips because they usually don't log it in the field. This also avoids them having to find the clue where you hid it in the parent box.
Reply to: #980576 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 26, 2019 11:00am
Thread
The AQ posted "clue" for my bonus boxes usually gives background info on the carve. For example, I have a bonus box with an image of a anime character - if the finder doesn't know who it is, they can read my "clue" (actually, comments) and gain some insight.
Oct 27, 2019 7:08am
Thread
Listing a bonus box is quite complicated in MHO
Oct 27, 2019 6:54pm
Thread
Another tip: You generally don't generally give a clue online for the bonus box, though you can. You may want to list the real clue so that they can find it after they have found the parent box, but they have to make two trips because they usually don't log it in the field. This also avoids them having to find the clue where you hid it in the parent box.

I'm confused
Oct 27, 2019 7:15pm
Thread

Two trips??? What are you talking about?

I am boxing. I find a box. I look inside the box and there is a clue for a bonus box. I go find the bonus box, usually somewhere fairly nearby. I go home. I log the parent box. I then am able to see the bonus box listed. So I then log the bonus box.

One trip. It has nothing to do with logging it in the field.

This also avoids them having to find the clue where you hid it in the parent box.

huh?
Reply to: #980591 by dingus dufus
Oct 27, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
I'm confused

What I meant was that you put the clue online instead of in the box. This will require two trips.

Or you could put it both in the parent box and online. They missed it in the field and when they get home they discover a new box that they hadn't seen before. They figure out which box it belongs to, and they still have the clue. They avoided having the fun of finding the clue in the parent box.

Sorry I said it in a confusing way before.
Reply to: #980593 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 27, 2019 8:00pm
Thread
you put the clue online instead of in the box.

This will require two trips.

And an extra roll of quarters for the box hunter's swear jar at home
Duplicate emails
Oct 27, 2019 10:03pm
Thread
I'm still getting duplicate emails, but not every time. I've tried to determine if I can find a pattern to it, but I can't. Sometimes a 'find' report is duplicated, sometimes not. Sometimes a 'reply' to a message I sent is duplicated, sometimes not. I wonder if Green Tortuga could take a look at my inbox and find a pattern that would help determine why it's happening??

On the bright side, I haven't had any "bounced" notices since a few days after the move. ;-)
Oct 28, 2019 3:31am
Thread
This is how I do a Bonus Box.
Usually I put the clue in the box with the logbook.

It's clearly written in the back of the log book.
No real guess work as to where to find it.
Either very near-by, a few feet away, or on the way back down the trail at some very specific, easy to find location.

Let's say I have a box or series called "Find Me If You Can".
Each box has its own box number assigned by AQ.
ex. one box 999999 (assigned by AQ) or a box series, 999996, 999997, 999998 and 999999.
I'll put the clue in box 999999 which is where I put logbook.

When you go to AQ to list your finds for "Find Me If You Can" and check that you found at least the last box in the series, the Bonus Box listing will show when you do another search.
It will not automatically appear when you find the Parent box.

To list the Bonus Box
Start by listing it as a normal box.
I'll name my Bonus Box "Find Me If You Can Bonus Box"
When you get to the Restrictions page:
Dependency section
Parent box - this is where you put the box number of the box with the clue.
For this example, 999999 is the Parent box.

You've already found the clue in the logbook if you were observant enough to check the back of the logbook.
You've already found the Bonus Box.
You just need to find the listing on AQ.

This is how I do it.
Others do it differently.
Oct 28, 2019 3:46am
Thread
O_K said

Curious, are you saying I can't know that you've put out a bonus box until I get home and list my finds?
My typical boxing day is 200-400 miles round trip before I get home to list finds.
That's when I get to see that there's bonus box?

As they say, "Not every box is for every boxer."
Reply to: #980598 by Grrly Girl
Oct 28, 2019 5:15am
Thread
Getting home and later finding out there WAS a bonus is disappointing. But I blame it on bicycle Dave whose job is to open the box and hand me the stamp. Since,as he says he has tunnel vision, he often misses the bonus. C'est LA vie!
Search Preferences
Oct 28, 2019 5:44am
Thread
I have default checked under Letterboxes & Searches for my "finds" "plants" "attempts"

When doing an advanced search, there are some boxes with a green check showing. It is probably my misunderstanding. Can someone explain?
Slow 'send' on AQ
Oct 28, 2019 5:45am
Thread
Not a big thing but may be related to a bug in the recent update.
When I hit send button in AQ mail it take up to 8 seconds to actually send. This is new as it used to respond in 1-2 seconds. I can live with it but I'm wondering if anyone/everyone is experiencing this?
Re: Search Preferences
Reply to: #980600 by phynstar
Oct 28, 2019 6:17am
Thread
I have some like that, but figured out that those are series in which I found some of the boxes, but not all of them. Could that be what you're seeing?
Reply to: #980598 by Grrly Girl
Oct 28, 2019 6:21am
Thread
Quote Grrly Girl
Curious, are you saying I can't know that you've put out a bonus box until I get home and list my finds?

Quote Oberon_Kenobi
Another tip: You generally don't generally give a clue online for the bonus box, though you can.

I believe they were saying that listing the clue online is an option.

Quote Oberon_Kenobi
You may want to list the real clue so that they can find it after they have found the parent box, but they have to make two trips because they usually don't log it in the field.

Here, they mention listing the real clue online - so that a finder can see it later after they log the parent box.

Quote Oberon_Kenobi
This also avoids them having to find the clue where you hid it in the parent

Here it seems they mention listing it online, in case of the finder missing the clue in the physical parent box, and thus being able to go back to find it later of they so choose.
Another reason for listing the bonus clue on its on line listing, is a record for you to know where you hid it and can go do maintance on it.
Re: Slow 'send' on AQ
Reply to: #980601 by Sagacorn
Oct 28, 2019 6:24am
Thread
...and also with "find" reports.
Reply to: #980603 by photopam
Oct 28, 2019 6:35am
Thread
Thanks for clarifying what I meant. I was specifying some non-standard usages of the clue field of bonus boxes.

Personally, with one exception, I taped the clue to the bonus box inside the box. Sometimes it faces in, and sometimes you need to turn over the box to read it. Very few people have found my bonus boxes.

The one exception still has the clue in the box in plain English, but there are only two boxers who I know have noticed it and only one of those has found the bonus box.

Another reason for listing the bonus clue on its on line listing, is a record for you to know where you hid it and can go do maintance on it.

You can use the "note" feature for this. It is a good idea to keep track of the bonus clue because the parent box may go missing and you will need to find the bonus box.
Re: Search Preferences
Reply to: #980602 by Maude
Oct 28, 2019 7:07am
Thread
These are single boxes still alive that I have found.

Most are finds, not plants or attempts. Also, listed only on AQ (in case there is that question).
Reply to: #980606 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 28, 2019 8:04am
Thread
Here’s the deal.

If I miss a bonus box for whatever reason life goes on. If for some reason I am back in that same area I may or may not go back for it. Chances are I don’t back there, don’t get the bonus box and as I said life goes on just fine without it.

The listing of bonus boxes is very simple. There is nothing complicated about it. Nor is there anything complicated about logging the find if one finds the bonus.
Re: Duplicate emails
Reply to: #980596 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 28, 2019 8:20am
Thread
This could all be related to the delay when you hit send and so we hit send a second or third time... and it eventually does.