And some are aliases of aliases.

Some are aliases of aliens

Und some are Moose and Sqvirrel.
Re: How long?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #979955 by Boris Badenov
Oct 1, 2019 9:36pm
Thread
Methinks this thread has degraded to simply a monologue.
Re: How long?
Reply to: #979960 by Boxer Lover47
Oct 1, 2019 11:02pm
Thread
Oh there’s a lot more than one court jester on AQ....
Re: Tracker Search Sort Order
Reply to: #979942 by Green Tortuga
Oct 2, 2019 5:40pm
Thread
Nope. Don't like the new way...sorry. I use the tags. All the trackers that I have joined that are completed I tag with the completed stop button. All the trackers that I have sent cards but have yet to be sorted I tagged with the sent button. And all the trackers that I'm working on are tagged with the waiting button. So now when I click my waiting button I have to see the trackers that I don't have to worry about yet first. Blah.

Springchick... I complained to a couple LTC makers asking them how I can fix my line up and and they pointed me to this thread. We are all sending you voodoo ltc's for convincing Ryan change it. Get ready *evil laugh* ;-) lol
Reply to: #979936 by Green Tortuga
Oct 2, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
The request was to change the individual's sort order-- "my tracker search." The current revision now affects everyone.

As was stated, this change now also creates inconsistency in the data return for trackers: the "Joined" data return will be in descending chronological order while "Available," "Owned," "Admin," and "Retired" are in ascending chronological order.

I completely agree with "I kind of assumed people would be most interested in the trackers that were about to launch and wanted those at the top of the list." For anyone and everyone that preferred it that way, a new route(s) of searching will need to be established.
Reply to: #980000 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 2, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
I was really looking for a way that I could save 'my' search preference to be desc launch date. Of course the change that was made has negated my need for that, but it sounds like it messed things up for a lot of others who had found ways to make it work for them.

I am fine with putting it back to how it was. I will go back to using tags, which will filter the list for me... I was just looking for a way that did not involve manual effort -- having to remember to tag something, entering search parameters or changing sort order, etc.
Reply to: #980002 by SpringChick
Oct 2, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
I was really looking for a way that I could save 'my' search preference to be desc launch date.

A suggestion from someone who has no say in how things are done: What about if the sort order becomes a user preference.
Reply to: #980003 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 2, 2019 7:54pm
Thread
I assume that a conversation about search order would follow the same conversation as the mail order. ;)
Oct 2, 2019 7:57pm
Thread
What about if the sort order becomes a user preference.

I believe it already is. My solution is to set up each search I want, including all the sort order, date range, tag selections, etc. Name it, save it, and add it to your 'favorite searches widget'. Easy peasy. Although I don't know if any of that process is for premium members.
Reply to: #979997 by Linden Leaf
Oct 2, 2019 9:38pm
Thread
I complained to a couple LTC makers asking them how I can fix my line up and and they pointed me to this thread. We are all sending you voodoo ltc's for convincing Ryan change it.

In my defense.... absolutely nobody spoke up saying that they didn't like the idea. Even just clicking the disagree button is enough to let me know that an idea isn't popular. I do consider other people's opinions but they have to speak up to be heard!

I will say that anyone can create a favorite search with all of the options exactly like you want them. It's not even a premium member perk--you can even bookmark the search results with your browser if you don't want to use the favorite search feature on AQ!

But I think you exaggerate how many people don't like this change. So far, not a single person has actually "agreed" with your post. Which isn't to suggest that there aren't others that don't like the change.... but it doesn't seem like it's an especially large number. It seems like most people just don't care.

But two people (so far) think your post is funny. =) I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, though....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980006 by Green Tortuga
Oct 3, 2019 12:13am
Thread
But I think you exaggerate how many people don't like this change. So far, not a single person has actually "agreed" with your post. Which isn't to suggest that there aren't others that don't like the change.... but it doesn't seem like it's an especially large number. It seems like most people just don't care

Most people don’t continue reading threads if they don’t think it will pertain to them, and this one started out sounding like one person wanted help with sorting their trackers. Since I was perfectly happy with my tracker set up, I moved on, and only revisited this thread because of the Volume of “chatter”. Wait, what?!! Ryan changed something?!! I looked at my Tracker section. Ugh. Noooooooo!!!

I don’t think it’s a matter of people not caring - a lot of people haven’t realized that there has been a change. After all, the person with the original problem just posted on Oct. 1st. Other people who noticed the change are maybe trying to figure out what did they accidentally click on And how to “fix” it (not realizing you changed it), there are people who don’t log in daily, and folks who don’t check their trackers if something is scheduled further out.
Reply to: #980008 by JampersandJ
Oct 3, 2019 8:16am
Thread
I don’t think it’s a matter of people not caring - a lot of people haven’t realized that there has been a change.

That may be true, but I still think a lot of people just don't care. Your post has only been up for a mere 8 hours and already has five people who have agreed.

It doesn't take two plus days for people to start agreeing with stuff. Three people agreed with SpringChick's original post and nobody disagreed. To me, that looks like overwhelming support for changing the sort order. 3-0. Or at least in support of doing something to remove clutter from the results.

Most people don’t continue reading threads if they don’t think it will pertain to them...

It was the first post in the thread.

So no, I'm not convinced that "everyone" doesn't like the change, nor am I convinced that "most" people actually care one way or another. But I do think there is a subset of people who really don't like the change and are much more passionate about the subject than those who like the change.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980002 by SpringChick
Oct 3, 2019 9:33am
Thread
I am fine with putting it back to how it was.

Don't let the angry mob get you down. I think you brought up some good points, even if some people disagree.

I realized that most of the links from that line were already duplicated twice--once for the name of the tag and a second time for the icon representing the tag. They were identical links, though, and it occurred to me this morning that there's no reason that needs to the be case.

So I've changed the widget so the icon-link will sort in descending order while the link on the name of the tag will continue to sort in ascending order like it always had.

I had to add "icons" for the "all" and "untagged" options which didn't have any--so I added arrows pointing in the direction that the sort will happen.

The links are kind of small (because the icons are kind of small) so depending on the device that you're using (a small cell phone could be difficult to hit the right target--particularly if you're a passenger in a bouncy car or something), but there are links for what you want.

I also redesigned the widget just to be easier to use in general. All of those links in close proximity to each other makes it difficult for some people to hit the right link so I spaced them out more.

-- Ryan
Oct 3, 2019 9:34am
Thread
What about if the sort order becomes a user preference.

That's always been available. It's called a favorite search! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980017 by Green Tortuga
Oct 3, 2019 10:20am
Thread
Thank you.
Reply to: #979939 by SpringChick
Oct 3, 2019 12:16pm
Thread
I was wondering what the difference is between closed and retired because I don't retire my trackers. Regardless of the number of participants, the tracker is closed upon the due date. It's obviously affecting data results.

So if it's helpful I'll go in and retire my closed/old trackers.
Reply to: #980025 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 3, 2019 12:25pm
Thread
I’m not 100% sure, but the way I’ve always differentiated “closed” and “retired” is that closed refers to “closed for additional sign-ups” (max has been met or some “sign-up by” date has passed), but the tracker itself is still in progress. Retired is when the tracker has run its course and is no longer active in any way.
Reply to: #980017 by Green Tortuga
Oct 3, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
Thanks Ryan! This seems like a good compromise.
Reply to: #980027 by SpringChick
Oct 3, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
thank you!
"About Letterboxing" not working
Oct 4, 2019 10:15am
Thread
Every single other choice in all the pull-downs work, except About Letterboxing.

Is this happening with everyone or is it just a glitch on my work computer.

Thanks!!

KuKu
Re: "About Letterboxing" not working
Reply to: #980051 by KuKu
Oct 4, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Me too.
Oct 4, 2019 11:02am
Thread
Blank page. Not even the file not found thing.
Oct 4, 2019 11:39am
Thread
Thanks for pointing it out. It's fixed now.

My Internet connection has been flaky lately and when I did the big update last week, it failed up upload that particular file. It just left an empty file instead. I stepped through all of the directories looking for that problem but must have overlooked that one.

I've uploaded the file again and it's working fine now. =)

Let me know if there are any other blank pages that you find!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980058 by Green Tortuga
Oct 4, 2019 12:22pm
Thread
Let me know if there are any other blank pages that you find!

"The Wit and Wisdom of Wassa" page...
Reply to: #980064 by wassamatta u
Oct 4, 2019 4:00pm
Thread

No, that page covered it all. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Oct 4, 2019 9:32pm
Thread

So I doubled checked the page and you were right... it was missing! It's fixed now.

Thanks for the head's up! =)

-- Ryan
Oct 5, 2019 8:15am
Thread
"The Wit and Wisdom of Wassa"

I tried that link too and all I got was a 404 Error: This Page Does Not Exist Nor Could It Ever Have Existed In This Or Any Parallel Universe Or Dimension!

;)
Re: Stamp Exchange - Stamp Offer
Reply to: #980128 by Arf!
Oct 7, 2019 8:54am
It's been fixed! Sorry about that!

-- Ryan
Silly question?
Oct 7, 2019 3:24pm
Thread
What does Clue Hits mean? I feel kind of silly asking but I can’t seem to find an answer in the glossary.
Re: Silly question?
Reply to: #980138 by Damselfly
Oct 7, 2019 3:32pm
Thread
What does Clue Hits mean?

It's how many times people have viewed the clue. Don't take the numbers too seriously, though. It's not like AQ can tell the difference between a real person or a computer scanning the web and there are ways that people can download and read clues offline that might not get counted.

But it's a rough estimate of the people looking at a clue.

-- Ryan