About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Letterbox Type mistake
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Aug 16, 2019 12:10pm
Thread
Hi, I’m new to the blog, I’m very sorry to bother but I made a stupid mistake. While activating a letterbox that was reserved I hit by mistake the traditional type, while the letterbox I planted is a Hitchhiker. I’m so very sorry I made this stupid mistake, is there a way to fix it? Can somebody fix it please? Thanks in advance for being understanding, Virginia
Re: Letterbox Type mistake
Reply to: #978408 by papoteam
Aug 16, 2019 12:49pm
Thread
You can't change the type of letterbox, so you'll have to delete the hitchhiker and relist it as a traditional. I'd suggest doing the traditional listing first so you can copy the clue and location and stuff from your hitchhiker listing. Then when your traditional listing is all done, go ahead and delete your hitchhiker.

Here's a Help Page with more info.
Reply to: #978408 by papoteam
Aug 16, 2019 12:53pm
Thread
As an admin, I can change it. However, I need to know which box you want changed, thanks!
Reply to: #978410 by wassamatta u
Aug 16, 2019 2:19pm
Thread
Ohh thank you so much!!! Okay, the letterbox is the #308367 and the name is The Round-Leaved Sundew, owner me (papoteam) and planter me. Thank you for your help!
Reply to: #978412 by papoteam
Aug 16, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
Thank you for your help!

By the power vested in me by the State of Confusion, I hereby declare this box to be, now and forevermore, A Hitchhiker!
Reply to: #978417 by wassamatta u
Aug 16, 2019 3:43pm
Thread
You’re gonna put someone’s eye out waving that wand around!

:::backing up to a safer area:::
Reply to: #978420 by MissMoon
Aug 16, 2019 3:51pm
Thread
You’re gonna put someone’s eye out waving that wand around!

Patronus
Reply to: #978417 by wassamatta u
Aug 16, 2019 6:23pm
Thread
You are a very kind person wassamatta, thanks :)
Reply to: #978431 by Kelsung
Aug 16, 2019 10:42pm
Thread
You are a very kind person wassamatta, thanks :)

Uh oh, you ARE new. Don't encourage him, he'll keep coming back...

The venerable Kelsung is correct... encouragement is NOT encouraged for this scourge of humanity, this blight on all that is good, this irksome, vexing, tiresome, and galling miscreant. He provides ONE miserably minor service, and expects there to be joy and celebration to exalt his formidable (yet misplaced) ego. Next thing you know, he'll be taking over AQ "for the good of the community". Mark my words, if such comes to pass, we shall all rue the day when a compliment was paid in fool.
Bookmarking a message
Aug 17, 2019 9:37am
Thread
I can't remember how to bookmark a message from the boards.
Can't find it in HELP.
Please, remind me.
Re: Bookmarking a message
Reply to: #978447 by Grrly Girl
Aug 17, 2019 9:53am
Thread
Click the first of the four symbols in the center at the bottom of this message.
Re: Bookmarking a message
Reply to: #978448 by Kelsung
Aug 17, 2019 10:19am
Thread
what will happen if I do five?
do I do four from the right or left?

I only see two symbols, unless you're counting Moose und Squirrel.

Oh, you mean those symbols.
Thanks.
Having Problem With My Event Times
Aug 18, 2019 8:16pm
Thread
I have 2 events listed on 10/12/19. Both are showing start and end times on 12:00 AM and I cannot get the times to set differently -- every time I put in the correct times and save the event, it reverts back to 12:00 AM. This doesn't seem to be an issue on other events I am looking at... what am I doing wrong?
Re: Having Problem With My Event Times
Reply to: #978529 by SpringChick
Aug 18, 2019 9:30pm
Thread
You aren't doing anything wrong... just a bug in the code that I introduced while fixing a different bug in the code.

Sorry about that! It should be fixed now. Give it another whirl! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Having Problem With My Event Times
Reply to: #978530 by Green Tortuga
Aug 19, 2019 5:46am
Thread
That worked! Thanks Ryan!
Green Check Marks Box #307846
Aug 26, 2019 6:58am
Thread
Hmm, I thought they were back, but when I ran a search for an area I'd visited a few weeks ago there were no checks by those where I'd found only half of the boxes on one series. (Box #307846 is a specific example)
I have Hide Plants and Finds checked.

When I uncheck Hide Finds I now see the checks.

Mostly a question for admins and those wanting to play around with getting various results depending on Search parameters:
The checks will only appear if I uncheck Hide Finds?
If I check Hide Finds I'll see any partially found series?

I'm trying to get my best results since we routinely drive 400-500 miles on day trips.
I want to be sure I'm getting my best results.
I usually tag as I go on a search to then run a third search for only my tagged items.

Is there a better way to go?

thanks for playing
Happy trails
GG
Re: Green Check Marks Box #307846
Reply to: #978803 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 11:55am
Thread
400-500 mi. on a day trip. You're way more adventurous than me.
Reply to: #978803 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 12:08pm
Thread
The green check marks are on boxes you've found. If you hide finds, you won't see any green check marks. I can't see your specific results, but let me give a detailed example:

Within your search area are three different series with 5 boxes each. Series A you've found all 5, Series B you've found only 2, Series C you haven't found at all.

If you run a search that doesn't hide finds, all three series will show up, with their name followed by (5) to indicate how many are in each series. Series A and B will have green check marks, because you'e found all or part of those two series.

If you run the search and hide finds, Series A will not appear at all. Series B will appear with (3) after the name, indicating that just 3 boxes in that series meet your search criteria (the other 2 are hidden). It won't have a green check mark, because you haven't found those 3. Series C will still appear with (5) because you haven't found any of it.

K
Reply to: #978811 by Topcollector
Aug 26, 2019 12:24pm
Thread
no so adventurous as this is what we need to do to get more than three or four in one trip.
Reply to: #978814 by Kelsung
Aug 26, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
this is the specific box
Box #307846
Bear Hole Bouquet (16)
We found about half and had to leave before finishing the series.
With Hide Finds checked it still shows as if I had never done any of the series.

If I uncheck Hide Finds I now see the green check mark as if I had finished the series.
Reply to: #978818 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 1:23pm
Thread
When you run the search and hide finds, does it have a (16) or a different number?
Reply to: #978818 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 2:06pm
Thread
It’s always been like that. If I’m reading your post right. I’m not sure what you’re looking for in terms of search results.

If you opt to :::hide finds::: a series will show up in the search with the number left in the series that you did not find and no check marks. That series we did at Lake George shows up as 9 boxes. We did not find 9.

If you ::do not:: opt to hide finds a series shows up with a check mark and all the boxes in the series, found or not found. So with that option Lake George shows up a check and 31 boxes.

With ::::hide finds:::: checked on the series in your post it should show as :::no::: checkmarks and the number in the series you ::::did not find:::::

I’m still kind of not sure what the issue is. People usually know if they did not finish a series. You just remember. You would know if you needed to return to that series.
Reply to: #978822 by Kelsung
Aug 26, 2019 4:50pm
Thread
with Hide Finds it shows 7 boxes, the number I didn't get, and no check.
without Hide Finds it shows all 16, the total available, and a check.

Hmm, so it's only showing what I'm missing.
I don't recall if that's what happened before the big update several months ago.

In the words of Arte Johnson, "Verrry interesting."
We almost always get the entire series or skip it for another time.
So maybe it's always been like that and I just never noticed?

Mr. K. I believe you've solved my query.
Do you agree?
Reply to: #978828 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
I don't recall if that's what happened before the big update several months ago.

That is not a new thing. So you may have just never had an unfinished series before.
Reply to: #978828 by Grrly Girl
Aug 26, 2019 7:20pm
Thread
with Hide Finds it shows 7 boxes, the number I didn't get, and no check.
without Hide Finds it shows all 16, the total available, and a check.

As far as I can remember it's been that way for a long time. I don't ::think:: it was part of that last infamous update.
Mystery box or not?
Aug 30, 2019 6:25pm
Thread
I'm going to start the clue with latitude and longitude in puzzle form then with directions also in puzzle form which when solved will lead the seeker to hidden spot, like once in front of the large bolder.....

I'm hoping giving the latitude and longitude does not make it a mystery box.

What are the rules?

Thanks.
Re: Mystery box or not?
Reply to: #978953 by Team Mac
Aug 30, 2019 6:28pm
Thread
I have a box where I had to put in the coordinates because there wasn't an address that would work. I was able to find a way to put it in the letterbox's address when I was adding the box. How I did that, I can't remember now...but I figured it out! By doing that it does show up in a search of nearby boxes when you look up the city it's nearest to, and not as a mystery.
Aug 30, 2019 6:51pm
Thread
You're giving gps coordinates? I would not consider that to be a mystery. I mean, I know gps coordinates (lat/long) are a mystery to some people, but I don't think that makes the box a mystery box. You can plug the coordinates straight into Google Maps. I might use the brain icon, however. I use that anytime the finder has to figure something out.
Aug 30, 2019 8:52pm
Thread
I'm going to start the clue with latitude and longitude then with directions like once in front of the large bolder.....

I'm hoping giving the latitude and longitude does not make it a mystery box.

Nah. It makes it a geocache.
Aug 30, 2019 10:02pm
Thread
What are the rules?

The definition of a mystery box is that the starting point is not explicitly given and the seeker must figure that out. GPS coordinates are as explicit as you can be.

I’m not saying you can’t do that. Using GPS in a clue does not inherently make it a geocache, it’s just a different way of presenting information. It might be a fantastic box, but it isn’t a mystery.

K