About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Repairing a box question
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jul 7, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
I located an older box, and the container is no longer in good shape. I dried it the best I could, and put in some index cards, but the original stamp book was a waterlogged mess. I took it home, dried them out, and messaged the owner. I'd like to find a way to include them in the replacement box and logbook I made, but they are in rough shape. They're mostly one stamp per card, but a few are double sided. My personal happy place would be to mail the originals to the owner, but I'm not sure they're still active. A friend suggested photocopying the originals and putting those in the new log book so each side could be seen. Any guidance I can get would be very much welcomed.

Thanks much,

Pallidbat
Re: Repairing a box question
Reply to: #977052 by PSMH
Jul 8, 2019 5:23am
Thread
It's easy to see of they are still active. Try that first. Look up the person, see when they last logged in, message them.
Reply to: #977067 by SeerMeesh
Jul 8, 2019 5:38am
Thread
Ah, just figured out how to do that. Not being on mobile helps a bit. :) Looks like they haven't been on in about 2 years.
Reply to: #977069 by PSMH
Jul 8, 2019 10:05am
Thread
Then you have some options... 1, just fix it for now and let it keep existing and check back on it. 2, see if it's possible to adopt. 3, if it's really bad and damaged, still message the user and - I hate to say it - pull the box and put extremely detailed info of why, but hang onto what you find to return eventually if they come back to boxing. I took a 5 year hiatus, so 2 years doesn't seem too long.
Re: Is there a way....
Reply to: #976978 by RDHG
Jul 8, 2019 10:17am
Thread
This may not be the most convenient since it's an alphabetized list rather than a map, but by following the same steps listed somewhere else for finding a list of letterboxers in a state, you can also find a list with the number of boxes in each city/town in that state. So if you want to the concentration in that way, you can just go to my page --> preferences --> theme --> whatever state you want --> about theme, and then scroll down to letterboxing cities.
Re: Is there a way....
Reply to: #976978 by RDHG
Jul 8, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
There is a way, sort of. I just did a simple search for letterboxes in Oklahoma. It returned 402 boxes. At the top of the search results there is a button marked GPX. This will produce a .gpx file of the search output that can be displayed on a GPS receiver or with computer software designed to work with GPS data. I use ExpertGPS but it costs $60. There are probably other programs (and maybe even phone apps) that might do the same thing for less or even free.

There is a limit to the number of letterboxes that AQ will include in a GPX file and I do not remember what that limit is but it is greater for premium members than for non-premium members.
Header Markup
Jul 11, 2019 7:22am
Thread
I can't seem to create a header in my clue using the wiki markup +. I also tried the <h2> </h2>. My Markup Preference is set to wiki-style. Any suggestions?
Re: Header Markup
Reply to: #977168 by NorseGnome
Jul 11, 2019 8:23am
Thread

How to make a header

by Ryan Carpenter

Make sure the plus(es) are at the very beginning of a new line, and make sure there's a space after them.

Other than that, I don't know what you could be doing wrong.

Reply to: #977169 by Green Tortuga
Jul 11, 2019 9:19am
Thread
Ahh, the ubiquitous space. Problem solved.
Reply to: #977170 by NorseGnome
Jul 11, 2019 8:07pm
Thread
Ahh, the ubiquitous space. Problem solved.

Space was solved long ago. ;-)
Attempts
Jul 13, 2019 5:03pm
Thread
How would I delete an attempt on one of my boxes? The box has been found by the person who previously logged the attempt and we want the attempt deleted. She doesn't have a view finds button on that box which we have no idea why that is the case either. Thanks for any insight.
Re: Attempts
Reply to: #977237 by Teacup
Jul 13, 2019 5:32pm
Thread
She can look at her attempts in her logbook and get a page listing all of them. Each listing will have a red X on the far right. If she clicks on the red X, that will delete the attempt.
Reply to: #977239 by Dawnkey
Jul 13, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
Thanks very much. Will let her know to try that.
Jul 13, 2019 6:58pm
Thread
If she logged a find after the attempt it is just showing the history of the box...that she couldn’t find it the first time and then went back and found it. It will still be showing that the box is there.......because it was found.
Reply to: #977248 by MissMoon
Jul 13, 2019 7:45pm
Thread
Agree with Moon. I think they should leave the history intact.
Jul 14, 2019 6:16pm
Thread
we want the attempt deleted

Why? I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand the thought process. I realize some boxers get very upset when someone logs an attempt on their box, like it's some kind of black mark against the box, but I just have no clue why that would be. If the box is actually there and is later found, then the attempt is more a reflection of the person who logged it than the box they were looking for. At any rate, that's why I never log any attempts on AQ. It's not worth the risk of someone getting all upset and angry.
Reply to: #977290 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 14, 2019 7:12pm
Thread
How would I delete an attempt on one of my boxes?

You can’t. You can only control your own find and attempt logs, not other people’s.

If the box is actually there and is later found, then the attempt is more a reflection of the person who logged it than the box they were looking for.

Exactly. If there’s a find AFTER the attempt, then who cares? I have a couple plants that I take pride in the multiple attempts logged. If it’s a difficult find, that lets people know to read the clues carefully.

By the way, only premium members can see the “view finds” page on other people’s boxes. Ryan took that away years ago.

K
Reply to: #977290 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 14, 2019 7:53pm
Thread
If the box is actually there and is later found, then the attempt is more a reflection of the person who logged it than the box they were looking for.

Not really.... the box might have really been missing then was replaced.

An attempt is just... an attempt. It's not a reflection of the box, or the planter or the finder without further information.

-- Ryan
Jul 15, 2019 4:40am
Thread
I have recorded attempts on boxes that I was able to find on a second (or third, or fourth) try. I don't delete my attempt. I have no reason other than I legit had an attempt (was positive I was in the right place, and actually was in the end), received either additional info or simply the confidence to try again after another find or a check by the box owner, and then was successful.

So those couple of boxes I show both a red X and a green check.
Reply to: #977294 by Green Tortuga
Jul 15, 2019 9:07am
Thread
the box might have really been missing then was replaced.

True enough.
Reply to: #977294 by Green Tortuga
Jul 15, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
Not really.... the box might have really been missing then was replaced.

Well regardless, it’s my belief that a posted history of the box is important.

I know there is a feeling that people won’t search for boxes that have attempts logged. For me though it’s the opposite, I like to find difficult boxes... I like the challenge and the search. One box I had to visit 4 times to find (the clues were quite a bit off).

In fact if I only have time to search for one box, I’ll pass on the ones that don’t allow attempts.
Reply to: #977317 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 15, 2019 7:38pm
Thread
I agree that the history can provide me information. If the clues are straight-forward and the history shows a solid FFFFFFFFFFF, and I can't find it where I think it should be, I don't spend a ton of time looking around because I assume it's simple and must be missing. I'll be quick to mark it as an attempt because I expect the owner will want to know there's a problem. But if it shows FFFxxFxFFxx, then I know it's hard to find, and I'll look harder. In fact, that makes me stubborn and determined to be one of the ones who *does* find it, and I won't give it an "a" unless I'm 100% positive. If it looks like FFFFFFFFxxxF, then either it's hard to find, or it was buried in mud and someone dug it out, or the owner repaired or replaced, and all of those things tell me that it's there, so I'll spend more time looking.
Reply to: #977317 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 16, 2019 3:11pm
Thread
In fact if I only have time to search for one box, I’ll pass on the ones that don’t allow attempts.

Seeing attempts won't automatically keep me from looking for it. Nor will no finds for years. I've seen too many find/attempt histories with finds after some people couldn't find it. And finds many years later. I've seen boxes planted for years with no finds and then.......bingo.....there it is.

Sometimes people assume too much. And sometimes it's in a different spot than they thought it was supposed to be. Sometimes even straight forward clues can be interpreted in different ways.

Though some planters won't allow attempts *and* they moderate comments. I tend to think that's a bit much.
Reply to: #977341 by MissMoon
Jul 16, 2019 3:24pm
Thread
I moderate comments, but only to catch the fairly rare spoiler. I write a lot of puzzles and mysteries, so it can happen. 95% of the time I just immediately approve them, even if it’s something negative or even inaccurate.

K
Sealing VersaFine on Foam
Jul 20, 2019 7:13am
Thread
So last night (after a glass of wine) I stamped a new signature stamp onto foam, flipped the foam over, and glued the stamp on. An hour or so later I went to move the whole thing and found a nice stamped image on my table underneath the foam. I had forgotten to use StazOn instead of VersaFine. The stamp is a gift for a friend, and the stamp is now glued to the foam. Does anyone know of a way to seal the VersaFine ink on the foam?
Re: Sealing VersaFine on Foam
Reply to: #977501 by Rebiccola
Jul 20, 2019 7:54am
Thread
Emboss it?
Spray enamel?
Reply to: #977502 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 20, 2019 7:57am
Thread
No, that won't work. I tested it on a scrap piece of foam. The heat gun shrinks the foam and the embossing powder just disappears into the foam, and the ink still smears off afterward.

Now spray enamel I am not familiar with. Have you tried it on foam?
Reply to: #977501 by Rebiccola
Jul 20, 2019 10:15am
Thread
Hmmm...this is odd-I stamp on the foam backing of my stamps with either black or sepia Versafine all the time, and I've never had this problem. Did you give it enough time to just air-dry or did you turn it over right away? Maybe you are using a different type of foam than what I have. Check the stamp I sent you from the alien tracker.....hope this helps!
Reply to: #977502 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 20, 2019 7:08pm
Thread
What about a polyurethane?

Heat set with less heat and longer dry time? Set it out in the heat in Missouri!

Remove the ink from foam and restamp with StazOn.
Reply to: #977503 by Rebiccola
Jul 21, 2019 10:21am
Thread
No, sorry I have not. I just thought of it because I use it a lot in my work.