A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Ignored boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #976359 by Green Tortuga
Jun 14, 2019 2:52pm
Thread
I said I had not seen or heard of ::some:: of the boxes that came up in the search. I didn't say this particular series. It's actually remained on my to-do list for years and I just found two of the boxes.

But thanks. I'm sure you're right.
Re: Ignored boxes
Reply to: #976347 by Janila
Jun 14, 2019 4:39pm
Thread
Well, the ignore button is perilously close to the watch box button. Sometimes I ignore a box, and later I question why after it showed up on Box Radar or something that drew my attention to it.

This is called "53 and tired."

I go to find it and realize it had a million attempts on LbNA when I'm home logging finds.

Or I reread the clues, "take your smelly hiker rear into the business, announce to the counter person why you are there. They will or will not fetch the box for you, and after you're done stamping, it will get awkward while you try to feign interest in the tchochke merchandise and pretend you're not going to leave without buying anything -- because you sorta owe them."

Or my favorite to date, true story: "go to such-and-such apartments. On the patio, under the big plant, is the box. Don't let the cat out, and the dog isn't nearly as scary as he looks. Try not to look toward the sliding glass door, or my grandpa, though blind, will see your shadow and shoot you without even leaving his easy chair." I may have made up the grandpa, but does it really matter?
Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Jun 18, 2019 12:50pm
Thread
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear. Is that intentional? I certainly don't care for it; reminding myself what I wrote is a key way I recall the experience.
Re: Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Reply to: #976448 by Kirbert
Jun 18, 2019 1:01pm
Thread
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear.

Comments can be deleted or moderated by the owner of the box, so I wouldn't use it as a reliable way of leaving notes for yourself. You should use the "my note" option to leave notes for yourself. Those are yours and yours alone. Nobody else can see them, and nobody else can delete them.

If the owner of the box deletes or doesn't allow a comment, you'll have to discuss the issue with them. They have the right to delete any comment for any reason on their own boxes. (But you do too!)

-- Ryan
How to get on state board?
Jun 19, 2019 9:30pm
Thread
Twice lately I have posted messages that I thought would be listed on the New York state board but they do not seem to be linked. For Group I used "United States Letterboxing" and for Board I used "State: New York". What am I doing wrong? And once I know the correct procedure, can I change the board on my existing messages or should I start over?

UPDATE: Ok, so I looked again and found that the posts are listed oldest to most recent, so I scroll down and see mine. But I still don't get notice that a new New York post is up. I always check the New York posts and assume others in the state do, so it is frustrating me that I am not alerted to look for a new post. Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??
Re: How to get on state board?
Reply to: #976470 by detective
Jun 20, 2019 3:51am
Thread
Your posts popped up as new posts on my New York State board and also on the Letterboxing Help Desk board, both of which I have marked as favorites. I don't think that your own post will trigger a notice that a new message was posted, only other new posts or posts that may respond to your post.

Also, the easiest way I found to see if my posts have gone through is to go to my Profile page. Above your statistics for boxes found and planted is a box that is called "Recent Posts". You should be able to see the posts you questioned on there.
Jun 20, 2019 4:15am
Thread
Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??

You nailed it! =)

The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

And any post you've written, by definition, has to have been read, so it's not going to show up as a "new" (i.e. "unread") post.

The one exception will be if there are already unread posts on the board. AQ just keeps a single pointer on the board with the current position of where you've read up to, so if there are already some unread posts, you're post will come after it and although that post has been "read," moving the pointer would cause it to skip other unread posts. So in that particular case, your post will show up in the "unread" count. At least until you've read all posts up to and including your post.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976472 by Green Tortuga
Jun 20, 2019 7:02am
Thread
The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

Detective, that’s why I prefer the “Recent Threads” way of reading the boards. Go to the Boards page, click ‘Recent Threads’. They will show up whether you’ve read them or not.
Jun 20, 2019 7:35am
Thread
Thank you for your responses!
Reply to: #976474 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jun 20, 2019 12:41pm
Thread
Go to the Boards page, click ‘Recent Threads’. They will show up whether you’ve read them or not.

The "Recent Threads" and "Recent Messages" widgets work the same way. As long you as you aren't ignoring them! =)

-- Ryan
Need help adding an exchange
Jun 20, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
I'm trying to record an exchange with someone who apparently isn't a member on AQ. Let's pretend her name is Blue Meanie. I searched people and came up with BlueMeanie, but no Blue Meanie. BlueMeanie is definitely not the person I exchanged with. If I go to the Exchange page and try to record an exchange with Blue Meanie, it gets switched to BlueMeanie, and there's no option to edit the name to correct it. How can I force it to keep the space so that I can record an exchange with Blue Meanie?
Re: Need help adding an exchange
Reply to: #976498 by Dawnkey
Jun 20, 2019 7:52pm
Thread
I just added an exchange with Blue Meanie and it kept the space.

2-2 wheelers, 66gypsies, adopted3had1, Adysinne1, Agent 86, altchar, Angel Heart, ArnoldZiffel, Aspen, Astro D, awty, AZDragonfly, AZJokester, Azroadie, Baqash, Bell Motel, BirchMoon, BlindSmiley, Blueberry Beach, Blue Meanie, Butterfly.Lu, C4, californiabluefrog, Celestini, Cheshire Cat, Children of the Forest, CorgiLover, CorvidaeBlue, cottonwoodlady, CoVicars, CW Sun Seeker,
Reply to: #976498 by Dawnkey
Jun 20, 2019 9:04pm
Thread
Let's pretend her name is Blue Meanie. I searched people and came up with BlueMeanie, but no Blue Meanie. BlueMeanie is definitely not the person I exchanged with.

AQ only allows one person to have the same trailname--and spaces don't count toward a trailname. If you do an exchange with me, it doesn't matter if you type "greentortuga" or "GREEN_TORTUGA" or "G'R'E'E'N't o r t u g a" or "TheGreenTortuga" or whatever. It's all the same to AQ.

So when you say you did an exchange with "Blue Meanie", AQ matches it to "BlueMeanie" because as far as AQ knows, they are the same person. It doesn't matter if there's a space there or not--it's the same person to AQ. Nobody can create a "Blue Meanie" account if "BlueMeanie" is already taken. That's also why nobody can create a "GreenTortuga" or "TheGreenTorgua" account.

So long story short, if you tell AQ that you did an exchange with someone and the trailname matches someone on AQ, AQ is going to use how they spelled their name.

If you add an exchange for someone and AQ doesn't find a matching account for that name, then it'll just use whatever you typed.

But long story short, there can't be two people with the same trailname, and there's nothing you can do to change that. But you can make the name unique by being more descriptive or something. Like "Blue Meanie from Seattle"--as long as it's not a trailname that's already being used, it'll take whatever you type.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976501 by Wronghat
Jun 20, 2019 9:06pm
Thread
I just added an exchange with Blue Meanie and it kept the space.

You missed the part where she wrote: "Let's pretend her name is Blue Meanie."

It kept the space because there is nobody named "BlueMeanie" on AQ. If there was (or someone created an account with that name), the space would disappear.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976505 by Green Tortuga
Jun 20, 2019 11:18pm
Thread
I really fought the urge to create an alias, but I just had to see if I would automatically have an exchange with Wronghat...
Reply to: #976504 by Green Tortuga
Jun 21, 2019 4:14am
Thread
Thank you, Ryan, for the detailed explanation. That completely makes sense.
Reply to: #976507 by BlueMeanie
Jun 21, 2019 4:15am
Thread
I really fought the urge to create an alias, but I just had to see if I would automatically have an exchange with Wronghat...

So did you?
Reply to: #976507 by BlueMeanie
Jun 21, 2019 7:56am
Thread
I really fought the urge to create an alias, but [...]

We named the dog Indiana.
Reply to: #976449 by Green Tortuga
Jun 24, 2019 1:02am
Thread
They're not notes to myself; that would involve more time and work. But after a zillion finds my aging mind gets them mixed up, so just checking what I wrote often reminds me which box we're talking about.

I didn't just check one, I checked several. My own comments were not visible on *any* of them. That includes boxes where I could read comments by others both before and after my find. It just seems unlikely to me that every one of those box owners up and decided to delete my comments without deleting anyone else's.
Reply to: #976611 by Kirbert
Jun 24, 2019 6:50am
Thread
They're not notes to myself; that would involve more time and work.

How is that? AQ let's you type notes to yourself in a textbox while recording a find just like you can for public and/or private comments. It literally should not take even one second longer to type a note to yourself than a public note. And if it's something you really want to keep as a note for yourself, it really makes sense to make it a note to yourself that isn't dependent on the owner of the box.

It just seems unlikely to me that every one of those box owners up and decided to delete my comments without deleting anyone else's.

It might depend on what you were writing in your comments! If you're posting something unflattering or something the owner of the box considers a spoiler, they might deliberately not allow it.

But the owner of the box not allowing it for some reason seems like the most likely reason.

You weren't clear if you were sending the comment as a "public" or "private" message, so another thing to remember is that a "private" comment is sent as AQ mail and doesn't show up on the list of public comments at all. Those you'll find in your sent folder--but those messages are only stored for a limited time.

Next time you post a public comment, let me know what box it's on and I'll look into where it might have gone. Specific examples are useful for debugging purposes, and time is important as well. Evidence of deleted and private comments doesn't stick around AQ for very long, so time is of the essence!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976618 by Green Tortuga
Jun 24, 2019 7:51am
Thread
AQ let's you type notes to yourself in a textbox while recording a find just like you can for public and/or private comments. It literally should not take even one second longer to type a note to yourself than a public note.

I copy public comments and paste them in My Note until they appear in the public comments. That way I can remember what I said until it gets posted. Sometimes I copy and paste a Private Comment in My Note if it's something I want to remember about the box or the experience.
more than one stamp
Jun 25, 2019 12:26pm
Thread
Last year I planted a box for an event that happens only once a year. I want to put a new stamp in the box at this year's event, but I am not sure how to do that. I know others have done it so it can be done! How do I list the new stamp in the same box? (Old stamp will not be there).
Thanks!
Re: more than one stamp
Reply to: #976684 by Evermore
Jun 25, 2019 12:47pm
Thread
You could retire the first letterbox, and then list the new letterbox with the same location/clue?
Jun 25, 2019 1:02pm
Thread
Retire the old box and create a new listing. Tell people in the new clues that it's a different stamp. You could change the name if you want....make it so and so box #2, or something like that so that people who already have the first image will know it's different this year.
Jun 25, 2019 1:23pm
Thread
How do I list the new stamp in the same box?

If you just write in the old clue that it's a new stamp, previous finders of that one will probably never see it, because it has a green check mark that indicates they've already found it, and they will skip over it. That's why the best solution is a new listing. Copy and paste whatever you want from the first box into the new listing to save time and effort.
Jun 25, 2019 4:05pm
Thread
Reply to: #976692 by Eidolon
Jun 25, 2019 4:57pm
Thread
kind of like many who host box of the month. the clue is the same, box name changes to month and year. and of course the stamp changes.
more than one stamp
Jun 26, 2019 8:48am
Thanks, all, for helpful replies!
"credit" for letterboxes that are no longer on the site
Jul 1, 2019 2:25pm
Thread
I've been inactive for over 10 years...but we've JUMPED back into the quest... I have over 350 boxes that we've found... but over half of them are not longer listed...is there any way to include these boxes in our count? It's not a contest, but I kind of like the ribbons on my logbook!!! I have the original stamp name, when and where, and who.... in my album.... Just wondering!! GoodOleDays (formerly HappyDays (but now we're old!)
Re: "credit" for letterboxes that are no longer on the site
Reply to: #976881 by GoodOleDays
Jul 1, 2019 2:58pm
Thread
is there any way to include these boxes in our count?

You have two options, the first is to become a premium member of Atlas Quest. That membership entitles you to manually add any letterboxes that are not currently listed on Atlas Quest.

The second option is to wait for "hat day". On that day, the theme of the site will be hats and on that day, you can manually enter your unlisted boxes. The timing of hat day is erratic so you need to log in often to see if this is THE day!

Personally, I prefer being a premium member as it entitles you to other options besides logging unlisted boxes. You can find those options listed here Premium Membership Perks.

And....welcome back!