Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Signature Stamp without Trailname
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #975961 by JampersandJ
Jun 6, 2019 1:45pm
Thread
This is a great idea. I’ll try it.
Re: Where did all of my plants go in my Logbook?
Reply to: #975938 by MissMoon
Jun 6, 2019 1:51pm
Thread
Ok, maybe I wasn't nuts.

Woohoo, I tried it and it worked.
Reply to: #975999 by Topcollector
Jun 6, 2019 3:21pm
Thread
The logbook showing just the last year of search results is clearly confusing a lot of people, so I've set the default to "show everything" again--which makes for mighty long lists for those with a lot of finds, but not really my problem.

And the "start date" option that non-premium members could use I've removed completely. The only reason they could see it was so they could see the rest of the logbook entries, but a lot of people are having trouble with it and since they can now see the entire logbook without it, it's no longer an option.

Premium members still have all of their search options available, but now you have to "narrow down" your results if you want to find something rather than "open up" the results to see more.

-- Ryan
Re: Signature Stamp without Trailname
Reply to: #975955 by Wronghat
Jun 7, 2019 12:14pm
Thread
OMG! I always wanted to know this!
Reply to: #976009 by Green Tortuga
Jun 7, 2019 2:52pm
Thread
Thank you.
Re: I'm trying to make a series of boxes I'm building "Reserved"
Reply to: #975668 by Wronghat
Jun 8, 2019 12:31pm
Thread
I'll write down all the clues here at my computer so I can replace if lost - thanks! I didn't think of that :>.
How can I delete a find?
Jun 8, 2019 5:06pm
Thread
I need to delete a find but I don't see a way to do it. I hope someone can help me out! Thanks.
Re: How can I delete a find?
Reply to: #976089 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 8, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
Go to the 'view find' page. Find your green check mark; click on it and hit 'delete'. If more than one find needs deleting each one is done seperately.
Reply to: #976090 by Sagacorn
Jun 8, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
Thank you!
Reply to: #976090 by Sagacorn
Jun 9, 2019 12:01am
Thread
There's only a 'view find' page if you're a premium member.
Jun 9, 2019 5:39am
Thread
You can record find again but Mark it as N/A instead of Found or Attempted.
Jun 9, 2019 7:30am
Thread
You can also just go into your own logbook and see the icons on the two columns on the right, the little AQ icon and the one that looks like a little computer screen. Click on the computer and you'll get a page where you can choose to delete the find.

I assume this is not a premium feature.
Reply to: #976104 by MissMoon
Jun 9, 2019 6:59pm
Thread
This is how I finally did it :) Thank you.
Ignored boxes
Jun 13, 2019 6:22pm
Thread
After I log a find, I ignore the box so it doesn't show up on my list of boxes I still "need". I have been told I shouldn't have done that and would like to know if there is a way to "un-ignore" them.
Thanks.
Re: Ignored boxes
Reply to: #976331 by Teacup
Jun 13, 2019 6:55pm
Thread
On the Advanced Search page there is an option to "Show only ignored boxes". Then you can click on a box and then click unignore.
Reply to: #976333 by SherlockMiles
Jun 13, 2019 7:09pm
Thread
Humm..

Just out of curiosity I did that and got a list of 16 boxes, some of which I have found, some I have not found and some I have never even seen or heard of much less ever ignored.

One that came up is a series, two of which I found recently and never opted to ignore those two boxes or the series but there is a button on the series to unignore it as though I *had* ignored it.
Reply to: #976335 by MissMoon
Jun 14, 2019 6:16am
Thread
Just out of curiosity I did that and got a list of 16 boxes, some of which I have found, some I have not found and some I have never even seen or heard of much less ever ignored.

Me too! I chose "show ignored boxes" and put my name in as finder and it worked perfectly for me. I tend to ignore series where I may have found some of the boxes but either don't plan on returning to find the rest or think they are gone so I don't want them in my searches. All that showed up on my list were the legitimately ignored series.

Even with doing this search, Teacup has quite a job to go into each one and unignore them.
Reply to: #976347 by Janila
Jun 14, 2019 7:12am
Thread
Boxes that might need to be retired, or I've given up on trying to find, get both ignored and watched just in case someone makes a change.

Very old last finds do not fall into this category unless reliable commenters lead me to believe it would be a fruitless pursuit.

Finding very old last finds give me a little tingle.
Reply to: #976331 by Teacup
Jun 14, 2019 7:25am
Thread
I know some of the ones you've ignored... did you recently buy a boat and didn't tell me??? LOLOLOLOL!
Jun 14, 2019 11:04am
Thread
I have never ignored this series. So why does it show (to me) that I need to UNignore it? And the other boxes that came up that I have never even seen or heard of.....why would they come up as being ignored by me specifically?

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=128686
Reply to: #976355 by MissMoon
Jun 14, 2019 12:01pm
Thread
I have never ignored this series. So why does it show (to me) that I need to UNignore it?

Obviously, AQ thinks you want to ignore it, and the most likely reason is because you did click the button to ignore it.

The box you specifically mentioned was planted in 2009. You say that you had never seen or heard of the box, but can you really remember every single box you looked it in the last ten years? I can't. I flip through my logbook of actual finds and see stamps I don't "ever" remember seeing before. Memory is funny that way.

More likely, you probably forgot having ever seen or heard of it. It's not an insult--it just happens. We're human with human limitations.

As for why you would have ignored it when you clearly did not want to--it could have just been an accident. You were looking at the listing sometime eons ago on your smartphone, perhaps, and accidentally clicked the "ignore" button without realizing it while trying to scroll down the page. It happens. People click all sorts of buttons by accident.

That's why I have to add an "are you sure?" message to confirm a lot of choices. The ignore button isn't one of those options with a confirmation, however, so if you click it by accident, presto, it's ignored! It's easy enough to unignore the box again--one more click takes are of that--but if you didn't realize you clicked it in the heat of the moment, it can end up ignored until the end of time.

And if I had to guess--and it's only a guess--that's what I think happened. Over the last 15 years, you've accidentally ignored a dozen or listings and never thought to check your ignore list (until recently) to realize you had done so.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976359 by Green Tortuga
Jun 14, 2019 2:52pm
Thread
I said I had not seen or heard of ::some:: of the boxes that came up in the search. I didn't say this particular series. It's actually remained on my to-do list for years and I just found two of the boxes.

But thanks. I'm sure you're right.
Jun 14, 2019 4:39pm
Thread
Well, the ignore button is perilously close to the watch box button. Sometimes I ignore a box, and later I question why after it showed up on Box Radar or something that drew my attention to it.

This is called "53 and tired."

I go to find it and realize it had a million attempts on LbNA when I'm home logging finds.

Or I reread the clues, "take your smelly hiker rear into the business, announce to the counter person why you are there. They will or will not fetch the box for you, and after you're done stamping, it will get awkward while you try to feign interest in the tchochke merchandise and pretend you're not going to leave without buying anything -- because you sorta owe them."

Or my favorite to date, true story: "go to such-and-such apartments. On the patio, under the big plant, is the box. Don't let the cat out, and the dog isn't nearly as scary as he looks. Try not to look toward the sliding glass door, or my grandpa, though blind, will see your shadow and shoot you without even leaving his easy chair." I may have made up the grandpa, but does it really matter?
Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Jun 18, 2019 12:50pm
Thread
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear. Is that intentional? I certainly don't care for it; reminding myself what I wrote is a key way I recall the experience.
Re: Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Reply to: #976448 by Kirbert
Jun 18, 2019 1:01pm
Thread
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear.

Comments can be deleted or moderated by the owner of the box, so I wouldn't use it as a reliable way of leaving notes for yourself. You should use the "my note" option to leave notes for yourself. Those are yours and yours alone. Nobody else can see them, and nobody else can delete them.

If the owner of the box deletes or doesn't allow a comment, you'll have to discuss the issue with them. They have the right to delete any comment for any reason on their own boxes. (But you do too!)

-- Ryan
How to get on state board?
Jun 19, 2019 9:30pm
Thread
Twice lately I have posted messages that I thought would be listed on the New York state board but they do not seem to be linked. For Group I used "United States Letterboxing" and for Board I used "State: New York". What am I doing wrong? And once I know the correct procedure, can I change the board on my existing messages or should I start over?

UPDATE: Ok, so I looked again and found that the posts are listed oldest to most recent, so I scroll down and see mine. But I still don't get notice that a new New York post is up. I always check the New York posts and assume others in the state do, so it is frustrating me that I am not alerted to look for a new post. Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??
Re: How to get on state board?
Reply to: #976470 by detective
Jun 20, 2019 3:51am
Thread
Your posts popped up as new posts on my New York State board and also on the Letterboxing Help Desk board, both of which I have marked as favorites. I don't think that your own post will trigger a notice that a new message was posted, only other new posts or posts that may respond to your post.

Also, the easiest way I found to see if my posts have gone through is to go to my Profile page. Above your statistics for boxes found and planted is a box that is called "Recent Posts". You should be able to see the posts you questioned on there.
Jun 20, 2019 4:15am
Thread
Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??

You nailed it! =)

The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

And any post you've written, by definition, has to have been read, so it's not going to show up as a "new" (i.e. "unread") post.

The one exception will be if there are already unread posts on the board. AQ just keeps a single pointer on the board with the current position of where you've read up to, so if there are already some unread posts, you're post will come after it and although that post has been "read," moving the pointer would cause it to skip other unread posts. So in that particular case, your post will show up in the "unread" count. At least until you've read all posts up to and including your post.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976472 by Green Tortuga
Jun 20, 2019 7:02am
Thread
The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

Detective, that’s why I prefer the “Recent Threads” way of reading the boards. Go to the Boards page, click ‘Recent Threads’. They will show up whether you’ve read them or not.
Jun 20, 2019 7:35am
Thread
Thank you for your responses!