A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: planter's choice
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974724 by JampersandJ
Apr 29, 2019 7:22pm
Thread
Wow, how creative and diligent. I'm impressed, and excited about the possibilities for letterboxing. Thanks for the input.
Reply to: #974709 by A Okay
Apr 29, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
What does "Planter's Choice" mean?

I made my crappiest letterbox "Planter's Choice" because I don't think anyone will look for it otherwise.
Reply to: #974724 by JampersandJ
Apr 29, 2019 9:04pm
Thread
And your efforts were appreciated.

K
First venture as a planter!
May 5, 2019 11:00am
Thread
Hello,

Our girl scout troop just planted a series of 3 letterboxes. We wrote a little story to tie it all together, along with clues for each box.

Can someone please take a look and make sure that it all makes sense and was done correctly? Here it is: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=305279

Thanks!
Re: First venture as a planter!
Reply to: #974872 by karenk
May 5, 2019 11:31am
Thread
That is so cool! I was happy to learn that I’m in good company as a former Girl Scout too. I only wish I were in Maryland to find these boxes.
Nicely done 🤠
Reply to: #974875 by BinoBoxer
May 5, 2019 11:39am
Thread
Thank you!
May 5, 2019 4:10pm
Thread
What a wonderful story!! I run the letterboxing program for Girl Scouts of Connecticut and love to see such efforts by fellow scouts. I hope I can stop by and find these when I'm down that way later this year. My only concern in reading the clues is the directions take you through two campsites - that might be problematic if someone was camping there. Is there a way to get to the boxes without disturbing campers?

Lowland Lass
Reply to: #974887 by Lowland Lass
May 5, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
Great point! It’s been empty the few times we were there, but I added a caveat about not disturbing any campers they might see. It’s possible to find the boxes without going directly through the campsites.
May 6, 2019 5:21am
Thread
As girl scouts we love finding girl scout boxes.
You must be LBB with the strange names. I was an adult with my daughters troop before I knew there we two.

Love the story. What fun! Wish we were closer so we could find.

Happy boxing and scouting!
finds
May 6, 2019 7:48pm
Thread
why do I often get this when I try to look at my logbook?
"Sorry, this member has not recorded finding any such boxes"
why does the "go" button popup then disappear? frustrating.
Re: finds
Reply to: #974948 by SherlockMiles
May 6, 2019 8:50pm
Thread
why do I often get this when I try to look at my logbook? "Sorry, this member has not recorded finding any such boxes"

It's hard to be 100% certain without specifics, but I feel like this is some sort of trick question. If I had to guess.... because the person hasn't recorded any finds of the box type you selected?

why does the "go" button popup then disappear?

Theoretically, when the "go" button disappears, it means you don't need to use it to change the page. But it's been reported that the "go" button doesn't work correctly when it IS there which I haven't had a chance to investigate more.

In any case, the "go" button disappearing is basically the browser saying, "This page has finished loading."

-- Ryan
Re: finds
Reply to: #974948 by SherlockMiles
May 7, 2019 6:39pm
Thread
Sometimes if I’m switching pages in my logbook it switches. Sometimes it just sits there.
Sometimes a ‘go’ button appears and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it will appear after I refresh the page and then I click on it and page changes. I call this a glitch.
Or as you say the button goes poof. Probably something left over from when the logbook features were being switched back and forth? And back and forth.
single tag search
May 8, 2019 3:38am
Thread
I'm trying to search on Yellow tags only.
Not anything I have tagged as Yellow and any other color.
I've tried checking these combinations:
Yellow + and
Yellow + or
Yellow + xor
Yellow + not
every color except Yellow + not

Can it be done? How do you do it?
Or, GGO, can an "only" option be added?

thanks,
GG/L
Re: single tag search
Reply to: #974990 by Grrly Girl
May 8, 2019 4:05am
Thread
Hi Grrly Girl,
Try selecting the yellow tag and nothing else. Don't select the + or anything. Just yellow and search. Let me know if that helps.
mb
Reply to: #974991 by Mosaic Butterfly
May 8, 2019 7:40am
Thread
Hi MB,
Good to hear from you.
There isn't a de-select option for the buttons.
One of the four has to be chosen.

(when will you be back? Wakeda is just around the corner. you know you want to be there)

GG/Lou
Reply to: #974997 by Grrly Girl
May 8, 2019 8:13am
Thread
That is weird. I tried it this morning and I just tried it again. All I did was hit the yellow tag and hit search. My computer didn’t make me select one of them. Sorry you’re having this trouble!

I would like to come back to Vermont. My daughter and I want to see the Ben and Jerry ice cream flavor graveyard! After we see you of course.
May 8, 2019 8:44am
Thread
Can it be done? How do you do it?
Or, GGO, can an "only" option be added?

Unless the search engine has changed, you can't do that because you are essentially trying to accomplish two searches at once:

Search for 'all yellow tags' and then 'of those results, not all other colors'.

I would love it if we could do things like this too to narrow down the search results further.
May 8, 2019 8:51am
Thread
I'm trying to search on Yellow tags only.
Not anything I have tagged as Yellow and any other color.

When I first read this, I thought, "Oh, that should be easy!"

Then I started thinking about it.... and after about 10 minutes of trying to remember stuff like what a "not xor" actually means I realized.... you can't! Something as simple as that and as far as I could tell, there was absolutely no way to search for it!

So then I started thinking that maybe I could add an "exact" option (XAND? Which doesn't really exist...) But then looking at the code I realized there was a certain complication I didn't want to deal with.

But then I realized that I'm pretty sure nobody actually uses the XOR option.... most people don't even know what it means. (It's like an "OR", except that one or the other must be true... but not both! For instance, I want boxes with a yellow tag and a blue tag, but NOT boxes that have both!)

And it gets a little fuzzy about how it works if you select more than two tags. What happens if one evaluates to TRUE but the other two are FALSE?

And then I realized that maybe I should just ditch the XOR completely. It's probably not really used by anyone and possibly confusing for people who don't know what it did. And, even better, I could use that spot on the interface for an EXACT option which would do exactly what you wanted to do. And it wouldn't even be that hard....

So I changed the XOR option to now be an EXACT option. If you select the yellow tag and do an "exact" search, it'll return all boxes with the yellow tag and only the yellow tag. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974998 by Mosaic Butterfly
May 8, 2019 8:58am
Thread
All I did was hit the yellow tag and hit search.

But if you noticed, the "or" option is always selected by default. Just because you didn't click it didn't mean it wasn't being used.

Although if you picked only one color, the OR, AND, and XOR options all returned the same results--which is what most people are usually doing and maybe why you didn't notice the defaults. They only become useful when more than one tag is selected. (e.g. boxes with "yellow and blue" tags isn't the same as boxes with "yellow or blue" tags.)

Anyhow, I've replaced the XOR option with an EXACT option. (And the NOT XOR with a NOT EXACT.)

Which I suspect people will find more useful than the XOR. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975002 by Green Tortuga
May 8, 2019 10:50am
Thread
I use XOR all the time. You've ruined my life...!

Just kidding. I had to reply because I did use it a lot in the past. (Bit obsessive about the status of HHers.) A change to my tagging system made XNOT a better device.
Reply to: #975003 by Green Tortuga
May 8, 2019 12:04pm
Thread
Works perfectly.
(Amanda, look away)
XOX, thank you.

GG
Reply to: #975002 by Green Tortuga
May 8, 2019 12:15pm
Thread
POP!
Reply to: #975013 by foxfriend
May 8, 2019 1:30pm
Thread
I use XOR all the time.

Yeah, I had a bunch of saved searches with it too. Of course, I think the XOR command came about from me talking with Ryan about trying to make some complex search in the first place so that might explain it.

However I have not used it as extensively in recent years as I used to do, so can probably live without it.
Posting event box
May 9, 2019 11:07pm
Thread
I created an Event Box called Ringling Bros. Circus. I tried to add it to the event (Big Top On the Prairie) by name and by number but it keeps telling me I have to create an event box first (which I did). I checked the event boxes on the event page and it's not added there. I did add the event to my event box on the box's page. What am I doing wrong?
Re: Posting event box
Reply to: #975078 by Topcollector
May 10, 2019 5:25am
Thread
I believe you can add it on the box page. There it shows all the events the box has been to.
May 10, 2019 5:26am
Thread
Its listed as #4 on the event boxes list when I look at it. It's possible you don't see it because it's yours and hide your finds might be in play?

Anywho, you must have done something right, because it's there. ;)
Reply to: #975090 by photopam
May 10, 2019 5:44am
Thread
Thanks. I kept adding it and it wasn't showing up on my screen.
Reply to: #975090 by photopam
May 10, 2019 5:52am
Thread
Have those search parameters always been on the event page? I though it always showed all the boxes at the event. I didn't go in through the search menu and didn't even know they were there. All of the boxes were checked. That was the problem.
May 10, 2019 6:08am
Thread
You might have selected the feature to not show your own boxes in your search...? Maybe that's why you can't see it?
Reply to: #975095 by Gypsy Fiddler
May 10, 2019 11:27am
Thread
That's what happened, but I don't know how, because I never selected anything at the bottom. I didn't know it was there. It's fixed. I had to use the AQ #. For some reason it kept telling me the box name didn't exist. I have 1 more to rename from my PTs and add to the event.

I still need to get a hotel--I keep putting it off. There is so much construction/repair work going on here with my house, and Glynn's health, that I'm having a hard time getting my brain to work.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were the other Gypsy when I responded.