Reply to: #974584 by PuggleMom
Apr 25, 2019 3:20pm
Thread
clue sent
Tech help?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 27, 2019 11:21am
Thread
The last couple of days I have been doing a search for boxes in Ft. Worth (and Fort Worth) TX, and when I click on the clues for some of the boxes I wanted to look for, I get this message:
“Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/letterboxing/public_html/includes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 81
Too many connections”
I thought the problem might be my mobile device, so I tried on a laptop and then a regular computer, and got the same message each time. I tried googling the message but I don’t understand why only some of the boxes (only certain planters) have too many connections. Any suggestions on how to find the clues?
Re: Tech help?
Reply to: #974670 by Yaateeh
Apr 27, 2019 12:22pm
Thread
Letterboxing.org has been down for the last couple of days--are the clues you're searching for on there?
Reply to: #974671 by Wronghat
Apr 27, 2019 1:06pm
Thread
Yes, that’s it - thanks for solving my clue mystery :-)
I was just clicking on “View Clue”, not noticing or reading the URL.
Reply to: #974671 by Wronghat
Apr 27, 2019 3:00pm
Thread
Letterboxing.org has been down for the last couple of days--are the clues you're searching for on there?

Remember that the "View Cache" button will show you a cached version of remotely-hosted clues.... which can be very useful during times when the remotely-hosted clue isn't available.

-- Ryan
Re: Unsuccessfully trying to record finds on older boxes
Reply to: #973454 by Topcollector
Apr 27, 2019 4:03pm
Thread
There's no way to tell if they are traditional or LTCs, they're all mixed, so there's really no way to have a total count of finds for each kind of box/find.

'Twas a bug--the box type option wasn't showing for unlisted finds/attempts. It's fixed now!

-- Ryan
Re: Unsuccessfully trying to record finds on older boxes
Reply to: #974679 by Green Tortuga
Apr 27, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
Thanks.
Reply to: #974675 by Green Tortuga
Apr 27, 2019 4:55pm
Thread
Remember that the "View Cache" button will show you a cached version of remotely-hosted clues.... which can be very useful during times when the remotely-hosted clue isn't available.

Oh, I did not know that. Thank you!
Re: Missing Stamp
Reply to: #974590 by SherlockMiles
Apr 28, 2019 8:45am
Thread
My Frog Prince has disappeared, I retired the box. I planted it to close to Shelly anyways.

Please tell shellys owner that the logbook is wet. I added another zip lock but the box is cracked.

PuggleMom
planter's choice
Apr 28, 2019 8:44pm
Thread
What does "Planter's Choice" mean? I'm assuming the owner planted the box in a place that is special to them, and they want to share it - but I'm not sure.
Re: planter's choice
Reply to: #974709 by A Okay
Apr 28, 2019 9:20pm
Thread
I'm assuming the owner planted the box in a place that is special to them, and they want to share it - but I'm not sure.

That's basically it in a nutshell, but for future reference, most icons like that you can click and it'll take you to a help page with a description about what the icon means.

-- Ryan
Apr 28, 2019 9:36pm
Thread
True, but sometimes I use that icon because the stamp I am planting is one of my own favorite carves....for me, it's not always about the location😊
Reply to: #974712 by Gypsy Fiddler
Apr 29, 2019 7:33am
Thread
Thanks for the help.
Reply to: #974719 by A Okay
Apr 29, 2019 10:25am
Thread
Adding to Gypsy Fiddler's comment, I have a Nintendo series which I marked as Planter's Choice. Besides some of the carves being a bit different, the inner boxes, logbooks, and pouches are all Nintendo themed, as is the clue. I think it took me about half a year from inception to completion.

To me, a Planter's Choice would be a box that the planter is especially pleased or proud to present to the boxing community - what they would consider one of their best plants :)
Reply to: #974724 by JampersandJ
Apr 29, 2019 7:22pm
Thread
Wow, how creative and diligent. I'm impressed, and excited about the possibilities for letterboxing. Thanks for the input.
Apr 29, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
What does "Planter's Choice" mean?

I made my crappiest letterbox "Planter's Choice" because I don't think anyone will look for it otherwise.
Reply to: #974724 by JampersandJ
Apr 29, 2019 9:04pm
Thread
And your efforts were appreciated.

K
First venture as a planter!
May 5, 2019 11:00am
Thread
Hello,

Our girl scout troop just planted a series of 3 letterboxes. We wrote a little story to tie it all together, along with clues for each box.

Can someone please take a look and make sure that it all makes sense and was done correctly? Here it is: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=305279

Thanks!
Re: First venture as a planter!
Reply to: #974872 by karenk
May 5, 2019 11:31am
Thread
That is so cool! I was happy to learn that I’m in good company as a former Girl Scout too. I only wish I were in Maryland to find these boxes.
Nicely done 🤠
Reply to: #974875 by BinoBoxer
May 5, 2019 11:39am
Thread
Thank you!
May 5, 2019 4:10pm
Thread
What a wonderful story!! I run the letterboxing program for Girl Scouts of Connecticut and love to see such efforts by fellow scouts. I hope I can stop by and find these when I'm down that way later this year. My only concern in reading the clues is the directions take you through two campsites - that might be problematic if someone was camping there. Is there a way to get to the boxes without disturbing campers?

Lowland Lass
Reply to: #974887 by Lowland Lass
May 5, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
Great point! It’s been empty the few times we were there, but I added a caveat about not disturbing any campers they might see. It’s possible to find the boxes without going directly through the campsites.
May 6, 2019 5:21am
Thread
As girl scouts we love finding girl scout boxes.
You must be LBB with the strange names. I was an adult with my daughters troop before I knew there we two.

Love the story. What fun! Wish we were closer so we could find.

Happy boxing and scouting!
finds
May 6, 2019 7:48pm
Thread
why do I often get this when I try to look at my logbook?
"Sorry, this member has not recorded finding any such boxes"
why does the "go" button popup then disappear? frustrating.
Re: finds
Reply to: #974948 by SherlockMiles
May 6, 2019 8:50pm
Thread
why do I often get this when I try to look at my logbook? "Sorry, this member has not recorded finding any such boxes"

It's hard to be 100% certain without specifics, but I feel like this is some sort of trick question. If I had to guess.... because the person hasn't recorded any finds of the box type you selected?

why does the "go" button popup then disappear?

Theoretically, when the "go" button disappears, it means you don't need to use it to change the page. But it's been reported that the "go" button doesn't work correctly when it IS there which I haven't had a chance to investigate more.

In any case, the "go" button disappearing is basically the browser saying, "This page has finished loading."

-- Ryan
Re: finds
Reply to: #974948 by SherlockMiles
May 7, 2019 6:39pm
Thread
Sometimes if I’m switching pages in my logbook it switches. Sometimes it just sits there.
Sometimes a ‘go’ button appears and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it will appear after I refresh the page and then I click on it and page changes. I call this a glitch.
Or as you say the button goes poof. Probably something left over from when the logbook features were being switched back and forth? And back and forth.
single tag search
May 8, 2019 3:38am
Thread
I'm trying to search on Yellow tags only.
Not anything I have tagged as Yellow and any other color.
I've tried checking these combinations:
Yellow + and
Yellow + or
Yellow + xor
Yellow + not
every color except Yellow + not

Can it be done? How do you do it?
Or, GGO, can an "only" option be added?

thanks,
GG/L
Re: single tag search
Reply to: #974990 by Grrly Girl
May 8, 2019 4:05am
Thread
Hi Grrly Girl,
Try selecting the yellow tag and nothing else. Don't select the + or anything. Just yellow and search. Let me know if that helps.
mb
Reply to: #974991 by Mosaic Butterfly
May 8, 2019 7:40am
Thread
Hi MB,
Good to hear from you.
There isn't a de-select option for the buttons.
One of the four has to be chosen.

(when will you be back? Wakeda is just around the corner. you know you want to be there)

GG/Lou
Reply to: #974997 by Grrly Girl
May 8, 2019 8:13am
Thread
That is weird. I tried it this morning and I just tried it again. All I did was hit the yellow tag and hit search. My computer didn’t make me select one of them. Sorry you’re having this trouble!

I would like to come back to Vermont. My daughter and I want to see the Ben and Jerry ice cream flavor graveyard! After we see you of course.