A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Bonus boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972932 by Topcollector
Mar 19, 2019 2:13pm
Thread
I've always had to write the planter and ask them for the name.

In both cases I did write the planter but received no response.
Re: Do Trail Names Go Away?
Reply to: #972931 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2019 3:16pm
Thread
And I find it ironic that where I work, the HR department DREAMS of me being "inactive" for a few years.

I think we just found next years Halloween costume. You could go as a sleeper cell!
Reply to: #972929 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
I list bonus boxes as traditional boxes. When adding a new letterbox, there are multiple pages to creating the listing. The last page is Restrictions. On that page, there is a field called Dependency. In the Dependency field, you can add the box number of the original box. When you do that, then the finder will not even be able to see the bonus box listing until after they have found and logged the original letterbox.

I have also seen bonus boxes listed as other types, but I like traditional because it is an added treat for the finder if they locate both the original and bonus box.
Reply to: #972948 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 3:27pm
Thread
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!
Re: Question on Unlisted Boxes
Reply to: #972872 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Thread
I guess I have another question . . . why?

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

hx6
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!

Dependency boxes were not always an option on AQ so if they are older, that may be the reason.

Also if you list it as a 'mystery' then people can see it in a search so they know you have some sort of box that exists but no idea where. If it is a 'dependency' it is only searchable if you have found the correct box so it can easily clue you in that you missed it. Some folks are of the opinion you either noticed the clues when at the correct box or you didn't and don't want to reduce the mystery aspect of the bonus box.
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread

I think I recall Ryan saying that having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation which was something he was trying to fix. I don't have enough listings yet for slow processing to bother me.
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:48pm
Thread
Hmm. Is the owner still active?
Re: Do Trail Names Go Away?
Reply to: #972899 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 4:00pm
Thread
My youngest was 11 when we started boxing. She chose Little Tumbler as her trail name. Years go by and even though she's not as active, she's also not as little. Her Girl Scout camp name was Flipper, which was taken here. She decided she could still be Flipper, but just changed her name on AQ to The Real Flipper!
Reply to: #972954 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 6:06pm
Thread
having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation

Great, so now I'm spending approximately 1.3 billion hours logging each of my found boxes into a spreadsheet so I have an integrated electronic logbook of all my finds. Probably should have done that from the start rather than rely on someone else to do it for me, but I'm lazy. But at least I'm able to add important info for the unlisted finds, such as the location, planter, and date planted. I'm finding this is especially important for the LbNA finds because some of the earlier listing have been deleted. Not archived, but completely deleted, and I didn't write some of that down in my hard copy logbooks. If my logbooks were destroyed, I'd have no record of that info.

It's really nice to be able to sort the spreadsheet by trail or park or town, and see all the listed and unlisted boxes I've found there. I've got about 500 done, only a few thousand more to go.
Reply to: #972953 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 6:18pm
Thread
Dependency boxes were not always an option on AQ

How long ago was that? Both of these bonus boxes were listed in 2013. I wouldn't mind it being a mystery box if the bonus box had the name or number on it but in both cases these boxes had no name or number on them and it was hard to find them, especially since one bonus box was listed BEFORE the series was listed.
Reply to: #972955 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 6:20pm
Thread
Is the owner still active?

One owner hasn't logged in in over a year and the other one not since June 2018.
Reply to: #972965 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 6:25pm
Thread
The dependency feature was added Jun 29, 2012 but it took awhile for people to figure them out--and some still don't use it with their bonus boxes.
Reply to: #972962 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 10:20pm
Thread
Great, so now I'm spending approximately 1.3 billion hours logging each of my found boxes into a spreadsheet so I have an integrated electronic logbook of all my finds.

I've had a Word Document Spreadsheet since I started boxing in 2006. I used to be on it, at the end of the day, update spreadsheet.

Now, so many years later, I lag. I'll let a few months go, and then update my spreadsheet . . . hence, I logged a bunch of finds and then realized, "hey, I should have some unlisted finds on that day." Thus my inquiry.

Hopefully the "slow computer operation" problem is all it is, and one day be back to "normal." In the mean time, I will try to keep up on my unlisted finds to avoid the trying to remember, "did I find this box, or that box first??"

hx6
Reply to: #972962 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 20, 2019 1:25am
Thread
It's really nice to be able to sort the spreadsheet by trail or park or town, and see all the listed and unlisted boxes

I totally agree that a spread sheet which we can custom make and which gives all of the information that we personally want is a much better option but agree it is also a more time consuming option. My spreadsheet dates back to 2003 and I have over 8000 finds and I don't think I refer to my online log book very often anymore. I am especially grateful that I have it now that our searches seemed to pull only 2500 listings instead of the whole log book.
My spreadsheet includes things like length of hike, who I hiked with, exact name and location of the park where the box is, sometimes I even include the exact trail name. Once you get the initial data listed, it really doesn't take long to just add your new finds if you keep up with it. With all of the new changes, I am eternally grateful that I have been doing my own tracking.
Reply to: #972986 by Janila
Mar 20, 2019 5:00am
Thread
I'd like to learn more about your spreadsheets. I'm thinking of creating one and I'd be interested in knowing the categories others think are helpful or necessary.

So far I'm hearing:
Date of find
Name of box
Number of box
Location of box - Park name and trail name
Hike length
Who was with you

Other categories?
Reply to: #973000 by Angel Winks
Mar 20, 2019 6:23am
Thread
Other categories?

I'd add:
Carver
Planter
Date planted
If I was first finder
Event if it was found durning an event
Mar 20, 2019 7:46am
Thread
Mine is:
Box name
AQ or LBNA number or WOM
Location or Park name/trail
City
State
Event name
Planter
Description of stamp
Hike Length
Who was with me
Comments - first finder, trouble finding, cool things I saw, etc.
I feel like I'm forgetting something. I will have to check when I am home and edit this response.
Mar 20, 2019 8:16am
Thread
Other categories?

I track the county the box is actually located in, which is not always listed or sometimes listed incorectly on AQ and/or LbNA. This is because I am on a quest:

Red for geocaching finds and/or plants. Blue for letterboxing finds and/or plants. Purple for both.
Reply to: #972969 by Wronghat
Mar 20, 2019 8:19am
Thread
dependency feature was added Jun 29, 2012

Thanks for the information. That helps explain what may be the reason for them being listed the way they were.
Mar 20, 2019 8:35am
Thread
Excellent, everyone! Thank you.
spreadsheets
Mar 20, 2019 9:50am
Thread
I don't know much about spreadsheets......but it seems like the new changes to the online logbooks included a way to easily transfer all the information in one's logbook to a spreadsheet. I can't find anything about it, though. How do we start the process of making a spreadsheet from our online logbook?
Re: spreadsheets
Reply to: #973018 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 20, 2019 10:06am
Thread
I couldn't figure out how to make it work, but at the bottom of your profile page is a section to download various parts of your logbook.
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 20, 2019 12:39pm
Thread

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

They are in one logbook, just on different pages. Actually, having the unlisted finds listed all together on one page in the dropdown menu is I think the only thing I like about the logbook since the update.

With regard to the so called slowness issue of having listed and unlisted all together, I never noticed any kind of slow loading of my logbook with them all together so I saw no reason for the change.

For me, my logbook was perfectly fine before the update. Now the one long page thing takes longer to load than it did before. I mean it loaded fine before. Now it takes longer. I don't see anything efficient about that.
Re: spreadsheets
Reply to: #973022 by Topcollector
Mar 20, 2019 3:27pm
Thread
I couldn't figure out how to make it work, but at the bottom of your profile page is a section to download various parts of your logbook.

Thank you! Now that I know where it is, maybe I can figure it out!

QM
Find dates
Mar 21, 2019 7:25pm
Thread
When I record a find, I sometimes don't log it until several days after I find the box. Previously, I was able to change the date so that the correct find date was listed. Now, no matter what I do to try to change the date, it always lists the day that I logged the box not the day I found it.
Why is that?
Is there a way to change the date?
Re: Find dates
Reply to: #973108 by InveterateLearner
Mar 21, 2019 10:22pm
Thread
Yes. If you are in Record Find, hover your mouse over the right side of the date and there are up/down arrows or you can manually change the date. I just did it with an LTC.
Re: Find dates
Reply to: #973108 by InveterateLearner
Mar 22, 2019 3:16am
Thread
I just recorded a find on a box just listed in the past 24 hours.

Record Find allowed me to change the find date to 2018-09-09

Previously, we weren't able to record a find date earlier than the plant date.

(I highlighted the date in the box and over-wrote it to the date I wanted.)
Newly listed boxes
Mar 22, 2019 6:19am
Thread
Where is the Widget for newly listed traditional boxes? It used to be a Widget. Is it no longer? If so is there anything that replaced it?
Re: Newly listed boxes
Reply to: #973120 by Sagacorn
Mar 22, 2019 7:32am
Thread
Where is the Widget for newly listed traditional boxes?

On the toolbar near the top of this page click on My Page. In the Upper Right in grey pick Add Widget. From the list choose Newest Traditional.