A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Do Trail Names Go Away?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972899 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 9:18am
Thread
It's my understanding that after a few years of inactivity, it does get erased to free up trail names. I know the person who introduced me to LBing went quiet on here for a few years, and when she came back, had to start a new account. It definitely makes sense, but I can understand how it would be sad to have lost all your finds!
Reply to: #972901 by Astrophel
Mar 19, 2019 9:38am
Thread
It's my understanding that after a few years of inactivity, it does get erased to free up trail names.

Interesting. I wanted to use the trail name "Elle" but it was already taken but the person has not logged in since 2008. Now long is that period of inactivity?
Mar 19, 2019 9:45am
Thread
Quite a while ago Ryan told me that boxer names with at least one find or plant will not be removed.

My niece never recorded her find and after about one year her name was gone.
Fortunately for her the name was still available.

Check to see if the name is available and recreate the account.
Changing your user/trail name
Mar 19, 2019 10:00am
Thread
How do I change my user/trail name without having to recreate a new profile?
Reply to: #972906 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 10:14am
Thread
Interesting. I wanted to use the trail name "Elle" but it was already taken but the person has not logged in since 2008. Now long is that period of inactivity

As was previously mentioned, if they had at least one plant or find, their trailname will remain active indefinitely. At this point, however, I think it's safe to assume that Elle won't be back. Use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page to see if an admin would be willing to delete that account and free up the name for you to use. I believe that has been done before.

TG
Re: Changing your user/trail name
Reply to: #972911 by Petunia
Mar 19, 2019 10:18am
Thread
Go to Account Info under the My Page menu.

TG
Reply to: #972908 by Grrly Girl
Mar 19, 2019 10:22am
Thread
Quite a while ago Ryan told me that boxer names with at least one find or plant will not be removed.

Well, darn, there goes my chance at getting ‘Wassamatta U’. ☹️
Reply to: #972916 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 19, 2019 11:05am
Thread
So I guess I won't be able to get "Green Tortuga" anytime soon even if green is my favorire colour.
Mar 19, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Well, darn, there goes my chance at getting ‘Wassamatta U’.

Don't worry, fake accounts like this one are treated differently and are regularly deleted when pointed out, no questions asked.
Mar 19, 2019 12:18pm
Thread
Wassamatta Ewe
Wassamatte You
Wassamatte Eeeewe
Reply to: #972923 by Grrly Girl
Mar 19, 2019 12:35pm
Thread
Sorry, that’s been taken!
Reply to: #972913 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 19, 2019 1:07pm
Thread
to see if an admin would be willing to delete that account and free up the name for you to use. I believe that has been done before.

Yes it has. Wendy In The East Bay petitioned for this when "Wendy" had gone inactive for quite some time and Green Tortuga acquiesced.
Bonus boxes
Mar 19, 2019 1:28pm
Thread
I have found two cases now where the bonus box for a series was listed as a mystery box. Neither bonus box had the name or number on it so it was very hard to track it down to record it as I was looking for a listing with the "present" on it but never found that. In one case the bonus box was actually listed BEFORE the clues for the series. Is this the correct way to list bonus boxes?
Reply to: #972923 by Grrly Girl
Mar 19, 2019 1:31pm
Thread
Wassamatte Eeeewe

For the win!
Mar 19, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
Well, darn, there goes my chance at getting ‘Wassamatta U’. ☹️

Trust me, it's overrated.

And I find it ironic that where I work, the HR department DREAMS of me being "inactive" for a few years.
Re: Bonus boxes
Reply to: #972929 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 1:44pm
Thread
I don't know how to list them, but I've had problems finding them to log also. I've always had to write the planter and ask them for the name.
Mar 19, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
Undoubtedly, the planters got confused. A Bonus Box should not be listed as a "Mystery Box" (glossary definitions), but be dependent on a parent box, and it shows the little present icon. After you log in the parent box, the bonus box listing should show up.

I have the name/AQ# of my bonus boxes either in its logbook, or on the parent box clue.
Reply to: #972932 by Topcollector
Mar 19, 2019 2:13pm
Thread
I've always had to write the planter and ask them for the name.

In both cases I did write the planter but received no response.
Reply to: #972931 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2019 3:16pm
Thread
And I find it ironic that where I work, the HR department DREAMS of me being "inactive" for a few years.

I think we just found next years Halloween costume. You could go as a sleeper cell!
Mar 19, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
I list bonus boxes as traditional boxes. When adding a new letterbox, there are multiple pages to creating the listing. The last page is Restrictions. On that page, there is a field called Dependency. In the Dependency field, you can add the box number of the original box. When you do that, then the finder will not even be able to see the bonus box listing until after they have found and logged the original letterbox.

I have also seen bonus boxes listed as other types, but I like traditional because it is an added treat for the finder if they locate both the original and bonus box.
Reply to: #972948 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 3:27pm
Thread
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!
Re: Question on Unlisted Boxes
Reply to: #972872 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Thread
I guess I have another question . . . why?

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

hx6
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!

Dependency boxes were not always an option on AQ so if they are older, that may be the reason.

Also if you list it as a 'mystery' then people can see it in a search so they know you have some sort of box that exists but no idea where. If it is a 'dependency' it is only searchable if you have found the correct box so it can easily clue you in that you missed it. Some folks are of the opinion you either noticed the clues when at the correct box or you didn't and don't want to reduce the mystery aspect of the bonus box.
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread
I guess I have another question . . . why?

I think I recall Ryan saying that having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation which was something he was trying to fix. I don't have enough listings yet for slow processing to bother me.
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:48pm
Thread
Hmm. Is the owner still active?
Mar 19, 2019 4:00pm
Thread
My youngest was 11 when we started boxing. She chose Little Tumbler as her trail name. Years go by and even though she's not as active, she's also not as little. Her Girl Scout camp name was Flipper, which was taken here. She decided she could still be Flipper, but just changed her name on AQ to The Real Flipper!
Reply to: #972954 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 6:06pm
Thread
having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation

Great, so now I'm spending approximately 1.3 billion hours logging each of my found boxes into a spreadsheet so I have an integrated electronic logbook of all my finds. Probably should have done that from the start rather than rely on someone else to do it for me, but I'm lazy. But at least I'm able to add important info for the unlisted finds, such as the location, planter, and date planted. I'm finding this is especially important for the LbNA finds because some of the earlier listing have been deleted. Not archived, but completely deleted, and I didn't write some of that down in my hard copy logbooks. If my logbooks were destroyed, I'd have no record of that info.

It's really nice to be able to sort the spreadsheet by trail or park or town, and see all the listed and unlisted boxes I've found there. I've got about 500 done, only a few thousand more to go.
Reply to: #972953 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 6:18pm
Thread
Dependency boxes were not always an option on AQ

How long ago was that? Both of these bonus boxes were listed in 2013. I wouldn't mind it being a mystery box if the bonus box had the name or number on it but in both cases these boxes had no name or number on them and it was hard to find them, especially since one bonus box was listed BEFORE the series was listed.
Reply to: #972955 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 6:20pm
Thread
Is the owner still active?

One owner hasn't logged in in over a year and the other one not since June 2018.
Reply to: #972965 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 6:25pm
Thread
The dependency feature was added Jun 29, 2012 but it took awhile for people to figure them out--and some still don't use it with their bonus boxes.