A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Letterboxer search
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972339 by Boxer Lover47
Mar 5, 2019 7:27am
Thread
Is there a way to do a People search with a partial name that I don't know the first part of?

No, there's no way to do that. Sorry. =(

-- Ryan
Re: blog postings
Reply to: #972371 by mudflinginfools
Mar 5, 2019 7:30am
Thread
I admit that I haven't posted a blog in a long while - but how come it is not showing up in my widget like it usually does - and when I look at the recently published blogs... its not there either :(

I think after a year or so, AQ eventually gives up checking a blog if it has no activity. If you go to your blog listing on AQ, however, and click the "Update" button, it'll force an update and restart the clock.

Which I've already done on your blog so you're good to go. But if there's ever a blog post that isn't showing up, a good kick of the "Update" button should fix the problem.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972375 by Green Tortuga
Mar 5, 2019 7:31am
Thread
Reply to: #972376 by mudflinginfools
Mar 5, 2019 7:35am
Thread
Aren't you supposed to be hiking????

The day's hiking is over--beat the rain, thunder, lightning and hail--and I'm hanging out in the middle of a desert in a bedouin tent wondering how the heck I'm actually getting a wifi connection. It's magic....

And if someone told me that someday I'd be hiking through a desert in Jordan carrying a toilet seat, I'd tell them they were crazy. But it happened. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972377 by Green Tortuga
Mar 5, 2019 8:04am
Thread
Awesome!
Mar 5, 2019 8:23am
Thread
...with a toilet seat? I want to see this.
Mar 5, 2019 8:52am
Thread
And if someone told me that someday I'd be hiking through a desert in Jordan carrying a toilet seat, I'd tell them they were crazy.

???!
I gotta hear this...😄
Reply to: #972374 by Green Tortuga
Mar 5, 2019 9:12am
Thread
BL 47 said
Is there a way to do a People search with a partial name that I don't know the first part of?

GT said
No, there's no way to do that. Sorry. =(

-- Ryan

But, you can always post what you have on the boards. Someone here might be able to help. We love a good puzzle.
Reply to: #972374 by Green Tortuga
Mar 5, 2019 9:12am
Thread
Thanks for the answer, Ryan. Happy trails!
Reply to: #972388 by Grrly Girl
Mar 5, 2019 9:15am
Thread
Oh, thank you for the offer. But this is kind of a negative thing re: the people I'm searching for, so I don't want to go public with it. (And it doesn't include the word "boxer" in the name.)
Reply to: #972390 by Boxer Lover47
Mar 5, 2019 9:46am
Thread
But this is kind of a negative thing re: the people I'm searching for

It doesn't happen to be a search for something including "amatta_u", right? RIGHT? right?
Reply to: #972391 by wassamatta u
Mar 5, 2019 9:57am
Thread
Dang! I just can't put anything over on you!

(Seriously, though, of course not. 8~P)
Reply to: #972392 by Boxer Lover47
Mar 5, 2019 12:14pm
Thread
If it has to do with trash-gryphons I can help.
Reply to: #972384 by RDHG
Mar 5, 2019 7:22pm
Thread
...with a toilet seat? I want to see this.

I want to know why!
Mar 6, 2019 4:53am
Thread
if someone told me that someday I'd be hiking through a desert in Jordan carrying a toilet seat, I'd tell them they were crazy. But it happened.

This ought to get some new members on W4F.
Lost Clue -- Help?
Mar 8, 2019 6:02am
Thread
I started to list a clue. I went away from my mobile device. When I came back to finish the last details, the page refreshed itself and went back to where I choose the type of clue. Is there somewhere that the clue that I started to type is still hanging out? If so, how can I find it? Thank you in advance for any potential direction.
Re: Lost Clue -- Help?
Reply to: #972465 by RDHG
Mar 8, 2019 7:49am
Thread
Not sure about being able to retrieve it, but I have had this happen to me also.( I wonder if this is peculiar to mobile devices only...hummm???)
So I have done 2 things to help safeguard my postings.
#1 if I have to go away from device, I copy it to clipboard (as in copy/paste). #2 I write my clues out longhand before posting, also to work out any details (making sure everything is clear, all details are in order, etc...)

Hate this happened. But, I am interested to see if someone knows how to get it back. Good question!

Mama Dee
Mar 8, 2019 8:29am
Thread
I agree that there is not much that can be done now to retrieve it (but then again I’m not that computer savvy).

I’ll echo the above comments and say it’s a good practice to copy occasionally when composing any long compositions on the computer.

Actually, I’ll frequently usually use a word program to compose those types of things and then paste them into the final document.

Sorry to hear, I know how frustrating those things can be.
Re: Lost Clue -- Help? -- Mama Dee and DZ
Reply to: #972474 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 8, 2019 10:23am
Thread
Thank you both for your input. I was afraid of that. It would not be such a big deal but that it was a six stamp series. Alas, I shall do it again. After all, somebody needs those clues to hunt! Hehe.
Mar 10, 2019 12:09pm
Thread
I never list a box on my phone. I wait until I get home and do it on the laptop in the comfort of my chair. Plenty of time for composing, checking for typos, editing, etc.

And from what I've seen of clue pages on AQ, if you add a photo to the clues from a phone it loads sideways on to the page, unless that has been changed with the last update.

I'm pretty anal with clues so I want to be able to proof read and edit at my leisure.
Reply to: #972534 by MissMoon
Mar 11, 2019 6:00am
Thread
I wait until I get home and do it on the laptop in the comfort of my chair.

I normally do this also but last week, I impulsively hid a box which was only going to need very simple clues. I posted the clues from my phone because I knew a friend was going to be in this remote area that same day and I wanted to give her the opportunity to find it. I knew if she had an issue with the clue (and she did) I could fix it from home. However, I would never want to add a clue which was more than a couple of words while on my phone. I do know that AQ often times out when I am adding a message or a clue but it does that either on my phone or my computer. It is just easier to type it faster on my computer and perhaps avoid the timing out.

if you add a photo to the clues from a phone it loads sideways on to the page

My photo originally loaded sideways but that often happens on my computer also. I just reduced the size of it a little and it turned itself the right way.
How do I remove a mistaken log in?
Mar 17, 2019 11:02am
Thread
I logged a stamp in a series as found and I would like to remove that. How do I do it? Thanks.
Re: How do I remove a mistaken log in?
Reply to: #972794 by Mim
Mar 17, 2019 11:05am
Thread
Go to the find in your logbook. On the far right end of the line is an icon that I think is a remove find icon.
Reply to: #972795 by Topcollector
Mar 17, 2019 11:08am
Thread
View finds--click on your checkmark--click to confirm delete find
Reply to: #972796 by Wry Me
Mar 17, 2019 11:51am
Thread
Thank you!
Reply to: #972796 by Wry Me
Mar 17, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
click on your checkmark

We used to have green checkmarks beside finds but I don't have those anymore since the update. Is that now a premium feature?
Reply to: #972552 by Janila
Mar 17, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
My photo originally loaded sideways but that often happens on my computer also.

That's interesting. I never had it happen n the laptop. Maybe the file was just never too large.

AQ often times out when I am adding a message or a clue

Yeah, they can time out on the laptop also.
Reply to: #972800 by Elle
Mar 17, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
No. They're gone for everyone.
Reply to: #972814 by Topcollector
Mar 17, 2019 5:46pm
Thread
They're gone for everyone

Thanks for the information. I do miss them.
Reply to: #972808 by MissMoon
Mar 18, 2019 11:55am
Thread
My photo originally loaded sideways but that often happens on my computer also.

That's interesting. I never had it happen n the laptop. Maybe the file was just never too large.

AQ often times out when I am adding a message or a clue

Yeah, they can time out on the laptop also.

Just open it in any photo editor and resave it. Dunno why, but that removes the sideways-turning formatting (technical term. Ahem.) You don't even have to change anything (unless the file is too large.) It will open rightside up in the editor. Resave it anyway. PITA, but effective.

Wry Me
keeper of very tiny trivia.