A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: My Logbook Finds - alphabetically
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #971501 by Topcollector
Feb 15, 2019 8:15pm
Thread
I did that and it worked, kind of. It shows 957 finds, but I'm sure I have over 2,000

Keep in mind that the search page puts all boxes from a series in a single line. When I ran a search for all of your finds, it included results such as "All About Indiana (29)." That 29 means there were 29 boxes in that series that match your search--i.e. 29 finds.

If you counted up all of your finds (including those numbers in parenthesis), it should get your actual F-count.

You can confidently tell people that you recorded finds on 957 individual series, though. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971504 by paper trail
Feb 15, 2019 8:15pm
Thread
Yes, when I go to the My Profile page, and click on the various numbers for Finds, Plants, Attempts, etc, other options come up.

Sorry about that. Bug in the code. Should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971509 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 15, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
It assumes I know the location.
I have to wade through listings of boxes I haven't found.
I just want to browse and search ONLY my finds or ONLY my plants.

I think you're mixing up the "location-based search" with the "basic search." The basic search doesn't require a location and allows you to search for boxes you planted.

Searching for your finds would require the advanced search option. (Although, admittedly, it will not include unlisted finds. Still need to implement that option.)

-- Ryan
Re: Error message when I try to view a profile
Reply to: #971511 by Rocklun
Feb 15, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
I tried to go to someone's profile page to look up a box, but I got the following error:

Sorry about that! Should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Re: Error message when I try to view a profile
Reply to: #971523 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 12:39am
Thread
Thanks for fixing this so quickly, Ryan!! 😊
Reply to: #971522 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 1:13am
Thread
I think you're mixing up the "location-based search" with the "basic search." ... (Although, admittedly, it will not include unlisted finds. Still need to implement that option.)

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I would love to have a field for location when creating a listing for an unlisted find [premium member feature].
Reply to: #971520 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 4:04am
Thread
Thanks so much!
Reply to: #971498 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 16, 2019 10:14am
Thread
Changes like this make me happy that my REAL logbook is an excel spreadsheet that I have maintained for 15 years. I can sort it any way that I want.
Reply to: #971517 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 10:34am
Thread
For people with hundreds of finds, you've always had to search multiple pages to find a specific listing.

Which was annoying but at least if I knew the name of the box started with the letter "R" I could pretty quickly narrow down where that was in my logbook. Now, if I don't know what year I found it (who does??), then I have to go to each year, hunting for the Rs and see if it's there. That is a lot more work.

I mean I guess I could create my own spreadsheet and enter several thousand boxes so that I could look up a box I found, but I think I'd rather stab my eyeballs with a hot needle.

For example, just the other day I was asked if I had ever found that third Samhain box. So I hopped on AQ to look under my finds for "S". With the 500 limit, I don't see any "S" boxes, so now I need to search by year. I have no idea what years. It was within the past ten years. So I need to click every year and hunt through the each in alphabetical order?? Or, of course I should be doing a location search! Except off the top of my head I don't know the name of the location. Also, I don't remember -- was that an AQ box or something on LbNA? I think it was LbNA. So what did I do? I went over to LbNA and did a box search. First it came with zero results. I went back to the email and check the spelling. I was off by one letter. Redid the search with the exact spelling. Found the box.

In the past I just went to my AQ logbook and quickly clicked to the letter "S" boxes. The new way is a lot less functional. Also, I liked seeing the numbers on the boxes. It was better the way it was before.
Reply to: #971571 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 16, 2019 11:04am
Thread
My counts are low...so maybe its diffrent if you have 1000 of finds or plants???
Why not just use the advanced search to find all your plants or finds or attempts?
Say I admire a particular boxers style of clue writing... I might go to advanced search and leave every field blank except "hide owner" or "planter" and enter the relevant trail name. If they have thousands of plants I could use the edit search feature to exclude retired boxes, or old last finds, or sort the boxes by location, ect.
Same for getting an alphabetical list of ones own extensive finds. Simply enter your trailname into the "finder" field and leave everything else blank. Then edit the search to add another layer of detail if you have it, or sort the list by plant date or find date or whatever.
I can't speak to LTC 's as I haven't done any but wouldn't they work about the same?
Why search a logbook by scrolling threw multiple pages when the search functions allow for so many diffrent ways to sort boxes?
Reply to: #971569 by Janila
Feb 16, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Reply to: #971498 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 16, 2019 11:38am
Thread
Oh wow. A random sample of boxers who's trailname I happen to know....Some of y'all have 15 or twenty pages worth of finds!?! That's amazing. I'm clearly doing this wrong.
Reply to: #971575 by Wronghat
Feb 16, 2019 11:56am
Thread
My Real logbook:

Ha ha! Last count I had 32 books like that....thus, I prefer my spreadsheet.
Reply to: #971571 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 16, 2019 12:08pm
Thread
at least if I knew the name of the box started with the letter "R" I could pretty quickly narrow down where that was in my logbook.

That still sounds like a lot of work when you can run a search for all boxes that start with the letter R that you've found--sorted alphabetically.

I get it--you want to be able to search your logbook and not actually "run" a real search. I'm sorry you consider searches on AQ a hassle. How can I make the search page easier for you use? It really is the best way to search for boxes.

The logbook is just... a logbook. Literally, a list of boxes. The first version of it didn't even let you sort them alphabetically or by owner or anything. Those were improvements I added later based on suggestions, but it's just a list of boxes. That's all it's ever been. Searches are for the search page.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971576 by Quarry
Feb 16, 2019 12:43pm
Thread
You aren’t doing anything wrong. My first find was in 2000 and I just hit F1000 last year.

Warrior Woman
it’s not about the numbers
Reply to: #971569 by Janila
Feb 16, 2019 6:04pm
Thread
Changes like this make me happy that my REAL logbook is an excel spreadsheet that I have maintained for 15 years.

That reminds me... I've been meaning to create a way for people to do just that and it's now live! Look for links to download finds, plants and attempts at the bottom of your profile page.

The data comes straight out of the database without any attempt at formatting stuff to look pretty. Very bare-bones, but for anyone who wants to do this, you can! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971580 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 7:10pm
Thread
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I can't get your example search to work for me. I go to advanced search and put a single letter in the box name field, and I only get boxes with that single letter alone in their name. I don't get a list of "begins with" or "includes".
Reply to: #971609 by Rocket Raider
Feb 16, 2019 7:28pm
Thread
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I can't get your example search to work for me. I go to advanced search and put a single letter in the box name field, and I only get boxes with that single letter alone in their name. I don't get a list of "begins with" or "includes".

Try inserting a carat--^--before the single letter.

More info about basic search

I should confess that I didn't know this. Your post got me curious enough to go digging.
Reply to: #971613 by Dawnkey
Feb 16, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
Thanks!
Reply to: #971613 by Dawnkey
Feb 16, 2019 9:27pm
Thread
Your post got me curious enough to go digging.

There's a lot of good stuff for people who dig. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971619 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 4:52am
Thread
And Dawnkey is very good at doing that. I'm glad to be a boxing buddy with her.
Reply to: #971619 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 4:57am
Thread
There's a lot of good stuff for people who dig.

Maybe it helps that I used to be an archaeologist. :)
Reply to: #971509 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 17, 2019 9:54am
Thread
Including unlisted (there would need to be a way to add location for those)

I found all my unlisted finds from my profile page, by choosing Traditional, 500, and Alphabetical. The resulting list began with all the unlisted boxes, in alpha order.
Reply to: #971607 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 9:09pm
Thread
Look for links to download finds, plants and attempts at the bottom of your profile page.

Cool feature!

Typo noted: When you click the 'finds' option, it saves the file as "plants". It really is the finds list, though.
Reply to: #971680 by BaliWho
Feb 17, 2019 10:30pm
Thread
When you click the 'finds' option, it saves the file as "plants". It really is the finds list, though.

Thanks! It's been fixed! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Message Board appearance
Reply to: #971320 by Green Tortuga
Feb 19, 2019 4:19am
Thread
I've updated it so the posts are as wide as your entire page. =)

You might have to refresh your browser to get the changes, but they'll eventually be picked up regardless.

And my browser caught up finally!

Thank you
Log Book Issues (listed and unlisted finds)
Feb 19, 2019 7:59am
Thread
I've seen the discussion about how the logbooks supposedly work.....recent unlisted finds are not showing up (although I know they're in there because my F count is accurate); but now listed finds aren't showing either. Dbare and I found two listed boxes over the last two days that are not showing in our logbooks (302624 and 302658). I can't figure out if I've got something as "preference" not checked? Anyone have any ideas?
Re: Log Book Issues (listed and unlisted finds)
Reply to: #971773 by Public Hand
Feb 19, 2019 8:08am
Thread
Looks like you have over 500 finds this year already (WOW!, really??), so the list won't show all of them. I don't know how it decides which ones to show, since they don't show up when sorting by newest. But, when I added 'pale' under the starts with sort option for your logbook, it popped up.
Reply to: #971774 by BaliWho
Feb 19, 2019 8:15am
Thread
Thank you.....I'm guessing I'm just weak in terms of understanding how the searches run.....we were blessed to be able to attend the last of the Night Owls event in Maine....what a start to the year that was......amazing carves and a ton of boxes!!
Reply to: #971775 by Public Hand
Feb 19, 2019 9:11am
Thread
Oh yea! I was there, too! I found tons, too! I guess I could have over 500 finds, too. I don’t really consider any of the hotel boxes or bucks boxes that were just laying out to be ‘traditional’ boxes though. So if they were listed that way, I manually logged them as HIPS event boxes. I’m weird, I want the online log to match what my real logbook reflects. 😜