A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Reserved Box question?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #970984 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 2, 2019 6:51pm
Thread
Is that because the box is reserved but once the box is activated I will then be able to add a planter?

Yes, that’s exactly right.
Reply to: #970990 by Dawnkey
Feb 2, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
Yes, that’s exactly right.

Phew.
I thought about testing out the theory, but if it worked was concerned couldn't change it back to reserved and then would have had to delete and then relist all over again!

Thank You for the help!
Reply to: #970991 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 2, 2019 7:05pm
Thread
I was doing the same thing myself recently and was wondering the same thing, but as soon as you go to activate you can add the second planter.
Reply to: #970993 by Dawnkey
Feb 2, 2019 7:08pm
Thread
I was doing the same thing myself recently and was wondering the same thing, but as soon as you go to activate you can add the second planter.

Oh good, I was in excellent company then!
How do we find sub-accounts?
Feb 4, 2019 4:54am
Thread
We cannot find H's account, and we cannot remember the exact trail name. How do we find our sub-accounts? Thank you.
Re: How do we find sub-accounts?
Reply to: #971018 by RDHG
Feb 4, 2019 5:06am
Thread
I have the sub account widget on my page. Maybe go to widgets and add the sub account one.
Reply to: #971020 by Goofy girl
Feb 4, 2019 5:21am
Thread
Thank you, Goofy girl!
Reply to: #971020 by Goofy girl
Feb 4, 2019 6:47am
Thread
You can also look under the "My Page" tab. There will be a link to "My Accounts"
Click that and you will be able to log into any of your sub accounts. :)
Reply to: #971023 by photopam
Feb 4, 2019 9:01am
Thread
And, I can see mine on my Mailbox page.
Reply to: #971018 by RDHG
Feb 4, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
Got me to wondering, if the original account is premium, do the sub-accounts under it also have premium perks? Does a sub-account function the same as the main account, have their own logbooks, separate mailboxes, ability to post in the forums, etc.?
Reply to: #971029 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 4, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
if the original account is premium, do the sub-accounts under it also have premium perks?

No.

Does a sub-account function the same as the main account, have their own logbooks, separate mailboxes, ability to post in the forums, etc.?

Yes.

-- Ryan
Where is the “recent threads” tab
Feb 5, 2019 10:28am
Thread
I’m guessing one of the bad things about being a webmaster is all the complaints you receive when you update but...

Under “Boards”, did the “recent threads” drop down go away? That was my go-to tab for the forums. If I’m missing something or there is a new better way please help a brother out.

DZ
Re: Where is the “recent threads” tab
Reply to: #971054 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 5, 2019 10:43am
Thread
Under “Biards”, did the “recent threads” drop down go away?

The drop-down went away, but the page is still there. (And updated too!) You can add it back yourself to the drop down from the Custom Menu preferences. (Premium member perk!)

But I wanted to de-emphasize the thread page because I think there are better ways of keeping an eye on what's happening in the message boards and suspect it confuses people. This is more of a "board-based" system rather than a "thread-based" system and I can't count the number of times someone didn't understand how something worked because they thought it was a thread-based system.

I'm not sure how you set up your My Page, but there is a "Threads" widget that allows you to see the most recent threads--and now you can even edit the preferences on it to show only "watched" threads or "all" threads (unless you're "ignoring" a thread, at which point it won't show up at all). Which seems like a better option for keeping an eye on threads.

The "newest messages" widget also now has an option to show only "watched" threads or all threads as well.

I guess I should also mention what a "watched" thread is. AQ actually has supported them for years--the posts were color-coded based on if you were watching a thread or not, and you were automatically subscribed to "watch" a thread whenever you posted to it. There was never an option to "unwatch" a thread, however, or to add a watch to the thread that you hadn't posted to. AQ will still automatically add a watch for any thread you post to, but now you can add (or remove) a watch manually by clicking the eyeball icon.

As a whole, though, I think the Favorite Boards widget is the easiest way to track new posts to boards that most interest you. The "new threads" and "new messages" widgets can be used to narrow (or expand) the favorite boards that you're tracking.

But like I said before, you're more than welcome to add the Threads page to your drop-down with the custom menus feature since you are a premium member. It's just a feature that I wanted to de-emphasize since I felt like it confused a lot of people new to the message boards.

-- Ryan
Re: Where is the “recent threads” tab
Reply to: #971059 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 11:13am
Thread
The drop-down went away, but the page is still there.

I forgot to mention, you can find the link for it by clicking the "Boards" link in the menubar. (Not anything in the drop-down menu, but the actual menubar name.) I didn't hide the link--just moved it so it wasn't front-and-center.

It's also in the sitemap as well. =)

-- Ryan
to find “recent threads” & Simple view of messsages
Reply to: #971064 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 12:22pm
Thread
Q1: now we go to "Boards"
go to "Threads and Boards"
open the "Recent Threads"

is that the shortest route?

Q2: Message View - I keep clicking on Simple, but it reverts to Expanded when I close the message boards. I can't find a way to make it stick.
(Edit note by me. Now it has stayed on Simple. No idea what I did to make it happen.)

Wow, trying to do this with the blindingly beautiful Chinese New Year theme is fun.
Re: to find “recent threads” & Simple view of messsages
Reply to: #971071 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 2:51pm
Thread
Q1: now we go to "Boards"
go to "Threads and Boards"
open the "Recent Threads"

Unless you use the recent threads widget on My Page or create your own link under the menubar.

I keep clicking on Simple, but it reverts to Expanded when I close the message boards. I can't find a way to make it stick.

It should stick automatically, but it's based on links in the URL. It's hard for me to guess what happened without looking over your shoulder. It also depends what account you're logged into (or not). If you were reading boards, for instance, but not logged into your account then wanted to post a reply and log into your account, it will change to whatever your account was set to which might not be what you were using before logging into your account.

And if you're like me and tend to open lots of windows at once, a change on one window may not be readily apparent when you view it on another one. Especially if you move between the simple and expanded views a lot.

So... it's hard to say what was causing it without my looking over your shoulder, but it is supposed to stick automatically, and I'm glad it's finally sticking for you! =)

-- Ryan
Hovering on a message Subject
Feb 5, 2019 3:30pm
Thread
I can't hover to see if I want to open the message.
Is it me, my browser or maybe something else?
Re: Hovering on a message Subject
Reply to: #971088 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:13pm
Thread
I can't hover to see if I want to open the message.

I'm not clear about where you're referring to. Are you viewing the "simple" page? It's the "summary" page that displays the summaries.

Also... if you use the simple or summary pages a lot, you should know that clicking the title to read the message just changes you to the "expanded" page which might be the reason things weren't "sticking" like you thought they were.

The titles in widgets on My Page should show summaries if you hover them.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971092 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 4:28pm
Thread
I've always used Simple to see just the subject lines.
I could hover on the subject and see the first one or two lines of the message.

In Expanded I could also hover on the Reply to: (message number) and see one or two lines of the message which is being replied to.

Now, in Simple, when I hover on the subject nothing happens.

I can still hover and see the message at Reply to:

clear as mud?

edit add - will all message board message replies go to mailbox?
they are now. they didn't before.
nighty night, bedtime.
Reply to: #971094 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:38pm
Thread
Ah... I didn't realize the simple view used to show a summary before. (I have to admit--I almost never use anything but the expanded view and seriously considered dropping the simple and summary views completely.)

I added the summary back, but I'm not sure this is the best way to scan through posts. The links don't go to an individual post anymore (I did retire that page!), but rather it just expands the messages instead. I know some new users got into those pages and started surfing the message boards one message at a time--horribly slow and annoying--so I wanted to get rid of that page. So if there is a message you're interested in and "expand" it, you'll get that message.... along with all the replies and stuff that came after it.

It's probably faster and easier in the long run just to leave the page in the "expanded" mode and scroll through the posts just scanning the ones that don't interest one. I created the simple and summary pages more to look for a specific post that you already know about rather to scan through posts. There are options available like favorite boards and watched threads to help scan through posts that are of most interest to you more efficiently, but the simple and summary views were never really designed for scanning new messages.

If you can make it work, that's great, but it might be more difficult to use it like that now that the links don't go to a specific post anymore and pull up a page of posts instead and changes your view to the 'expanded' view.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971094 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:40pm
Thread
will all message board message replies go to mailbox?

Only if you want them to. =)

Message board preferences

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971097 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 3:36am
Thread
Curious - before the update messages didn't go to my mail.
After the update they did.
I've gone back and changed the setting back to NOT.

Hovering on Simple is back.

Edit add:
I always want Simple view.
I skip 90% of messages available.
5% - hover to see maybe I'll want to read more.
5% - open to see what it says. Includes messages by people I know, threads I've been following, people I routinely find interesting.

I use the Thread button a lot. Often to remind myself of what was said by someone or when something was said.
No point adding another comment that just reiterates what someone else already said.
I use the Funny, Interesting, etc. buttons for that.
Ignore Thread
Feb 6, 2019 4:08am
Thread
Simple view I see grayed out Thread button with an X.
I click on the grayed out, X icon and it takes me to the Ignore Thread page.
Asks if I want to Ignore Thread.

In the Expanded view I see the full color Thread which takes me to the full thread.

If I open a message from Simple, I then see the full color Thread button and can move on to the entire thread.

Okay, got it.
I use the Thread button a lot.

It just bugs me that if I don't go all the way back by "Back button arrow" I'm again dumped into Expanded view.
Yeah, I know I can again click on the Simple button, but I'm OLD. I don't take to changes like the young'uns do.
(close whine)
Posting to a Board that is not in the Drop Down menu
Feb 6, 2019 6:29am
Thread
Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot determine how to post to a Message Board if it is not one of the Boards in the drop down menu.
Re: Ignore Thread
Reply to: #971122 by Grrly Girl
Feb 6, 2019 8:19am
Thread
It just bugs me that if I don't go all the way back by "Back button arrow" I'm again dumped into Expanded view.

We can improve your experience. You have very specific needs and desires about how you want things to work, so let's see if we can make things work better for you. =)

It sounds like you want a link that will show you all recent posts in the simple view? AQ doesn't provide such a link, but there's no reason you can't create one for yourself. Add a new link to your Boards menu (or browser or wherever you prefer) that points to https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?view=simple.

The read.php points you to the page of messages, and without anything indicating where to start viewing messages, it just shows the last page of them. The "view=simple" tells AQ to open the window in the "simple" view.

Just the act of clicking on the button will open the message boards to the last page of messages in the simple view.

It also sounds like you want to the links to the messages to open a thread, so I've added that option for both the simple and summary pages. It seems logical that anyone on the simple and summary pages who opens a thread would want the thread expanded, so I have the links automatically set to use the expanded view.

Now you can use your own custom link to open the simple view, then use the thread links to open individual threads in the expanded view and never actually have to click the simple/summary/expand buttons. =)

Unless I misunderstood something about how you use the message boards.

-- Ryan
Re: Posting to a Board that is not in the Drop Down menu
Reply to: #971125 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Feb 6, 2019 8:34am
Thread
I cannot determine how to post to a Message Board if it is not one of the Boards in the drop down menu.

You probably have to change the group. There are hundreds of boards on AQ and the list is a bit unwieldy, but different member groups have different boards. By default, the "Everybody" group is selected and the boards in that are letterboxing related. If you change to the "Yakking It Up" group, you'll see "chatty" boards. If you change to the "United States Letterboxing" group, you'll find the state and regional boards for the United States.

I'm not sure what board you were looking for, but you won't see it as an option unless you select the correct group first.

On a somewhat-related note, I just found a bug where, when you're reading a board and click the "Start New Thread" button, it's supposed to open the posting page to automatically select the group/board of the board you were currently reading. (If you're reading messages from "all boards" or something, it'll default to the Everybody group and ask you to select a board.)

But when you're reading messages from a particular board, it's supposed to automatically set that board as the default when you post and it wasn't doing that. So if that was causing your problem, the issue should be fixed now.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971134 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 10:00am
Thread
But when you're reading messages from a particular board, it's supposed to automatically set that board as the default when you post and it wasn't doing that. So if that was causing your problem, the issue should be fixed now.

automatically select the group/board of the board you were currently reading. (If you're reading messages from "all boards" or something, it'll default to the Everybody group and ask you to select a board.)

If I'm reading correctly, to start a new Help Desk discussion, first you need to open a Help Desk thread to only that particular discussion thread, or only that board.
Then Start a New Thread will default to that board.

Previously, when opening a message from Simple to Expanded, you got only that one message and could start a new thread from there. Since opening one message defaults to all messages being expanded, the Langloiers don't know which board you want so you must fill in the blank.

Got it, I think.
Reply to: #971134 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 11:43am
Thread
On a somewhat-related note, I just found a bug where, when you're reading a board and click the "Start New Thread" button, it's supposed to open the posting page to automatically select the group/board of the board you were currently reading. (If you're reading messages from "all boards" or something, it'll default to the Everybody group and ask you to select a board.)

This was my exact dilemma.

Thanks for the fix!!
Reply to: #971141 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Feb 6, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
I had that problem last night. I didn't realize it was a bug. Thanks Ryan for the fix

~Aurora
My home town has three listing?
Feb 8, 2019 10:18am
Thread
Any idea why Stone Mountain has 3 listing? If one was the park, one was the Village, and one was the general neighborhood it would kinda make sense, but each list has boxes from each category of area, so I'm just confussed.