Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Delete false finds from owned boxes?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #970798 by Public Hand
Jan 29, 2019 1:17pm
Thread
Agree 100%. People often say that not every box is for every boxer, and it's true. If you can't solve the clue (or in other cases do the hike, etc) then just move on to the next box. There was no shortage of boxes or stamps at this event, so everyone should have been able to find something they could enjoy without resorting to destruction of boxes.
Reply to: #970792 by Sagacorn
Jan 29, 2019 4:10pm
Thread
I know that I've made some mistakes in the past with logging the wrong box, especially the ones that don't have any clues to jog my memory on where it was found (like was this snowman stamp the one from the lobby or one from someone's door?). Boxes that have the AQ# written in them make it so much easier to log them later, I make sure to write down the number next to the box name in my book.

RIClimber, I totally understand your disappointment in how your boxes were treated, but I just want to let you know that I love your boxes and I'm sorry that someone didn't give them the respect that they (and you) deserve.
Reply to: #970801 by Angel and Demon
Jan 29, 2019 4:13pm
Thread
I agree 100% as well. There were so many people at this event and the hotel that simply asking someone, even RIC, for help solving or a little nudge on how to solve would have been the right thing to do. It is absolutely heartbreaking to know that someone would go to such levels as to destroy someone else's property just to get those stamps. Just not cool at all. Thank you RIC for your creativity with those boxes and for all you do to make this hobby so much fun!!!!
Reply to: #970783 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 4:51pm
Thread
Do you think they were logging my event box as your traditional? I had a disney themed event box with the 7 dwarves, daisy, goofy and pluto. But the box names are completely different. I had my name, the name of the box and the AQ# on it, so it doesn't make sense that they'd log mine as yours. :/

AQ 290183
Reply to: #970813 by BaliWho
Jan 29, 2019 5:31pm
Thread
The stamps were my grandmothers old set carved back in 2003-2004
Reply to: #970814 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 5:51pm
Thread
The stamps were my grandmothers old set carved back in 2003-2004

Hm, Ok. but there were only 2 of those, right? So, that makes no sense, either. And they logged 9 finds? People are strange! I'd be irritated, too.
Where are tribute pages?
Jan 30, 2019 5:14am
Thread
I am just getting back to the site and the game here and do not remember where to find the tribute pages. Thank you.
Re: Where are tribute pages?
Reply to: #970832 by RDHG
Jan 30, 2019 5:37am
Thread
Tribute Pages

There’s a link on the People page.
Hyperlinks
Jan 30, 2019 5:38am
Thread
How do you add hyperlinks to a message?
Re: Hyperlinks
Reply to: #970837 by Quite Contrary
Jan 30, 2019 5:52am
Thread
Go here and scroll down to the Linking the Web Together section.
Reply to: #970837 by Quite Contrary
Jan 30, 2019 8:39am
Thread
Reply to: #970845 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 30, 2019 10:58am
Thread
Better link:

Depends on one's message board settings. For most people, it's the wiki markup because that's the default on AQ.

But people can use whatever link is under their "Boards" menu. It links to either the wiki or HTML help depending on the person's preferences.

-- Ryan
Re: Where are tribute pages?
Reply to: #970836 by Dawnkey
Jan 30, 2019 2:22pm
Thread
Thank you, Dawnkey. I appreciate it.
Reply to: #970849 by Green Tortuga
Jan 30, 2019 7:28pm
Thread
At the outset I’ll admit my knowledge of coding (and mind-reading the OP) is weak at best... 😄

But I took the OP to mean that they were interested in using a word as a link. Clicking Dawnkey’s link doesn’t take me to a way to do that. Maybe it has something to do with defaults? I haven’t changed or set my defaults that I know of.

In any case, my second link should have made it clear.

~DZ
Reply to: #970874 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 30, 2019 8:26pm
Thread
But I took the OP to mean that they were interested in using a word as a link. Clicking Dawnkey’s link doesn’t take me to a way to do that.

Hmm, unless I'm missing something you and I both posted links to different versions of the same page. I posted to the wiki-style markup page and you posted to the html-style markup page. Like Ryan said, the link that's helpful to people depends on which way they've set their markup preference for the boards.
Reply to: #970877 by Dawnkey
Jan 30, 2019 10:40pm
Thread
No, it was me that was missing something. Like I said, coding is not my strong point. I experimented with the link you posted and see that it works just as well. I wasn’t experienced with that style of coding.

Carry on...
Reserved Box question?
Feb 2, 2019 5:22pm
Thread
I've created a "reserved" box series but was unable to add an additional planter.
Is that because the box is reserved but once the box is activated I will then be able to add a planter?
Re: Reserved Box question?
Reply to: #970984 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 2, 2019 6:51pm
Thread
Is that because the box is reserved but once the box is activated I will then be able to add a planter?

Yes, that’s exactly right.
Reply to: #970990 by Dawnkey
Feb 2, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
Yes, that’s exactly right.

Phew.
I thought about testing out the theory, but if it worked was concerned couldn't change it back to reserved and then would have had to delete and then relist all over again!

Thank You for the help!
Reply to: #970991 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 2, 2019 7:05pm
Thread
I was doing the same thing myself recently and was wondering the same thing, but as soon as you go to activate you can add the second planter.
Reply to: #970993 by Dawnkey
Feb 2, 2019 7:08pm
Thread
I was doing the same thing myself recently and was wondering the same thing, but as soon as you go to activate you can add the second planter.

Oh good, I was in excellent company then!
How do we find sub-accounts?
Feb 4, 2019 4:54am
Thread
We cannot find H's account, and we cannot remember the exact trail name. How do we find our sub-accounts? Thank you.
Re: How do we find sub-accounts?
Reply to: #971018 by RDHG
Feb 4, 2019 5:06am
Thread
I have the sub account widget on my page. Maybe go to widgets and add the sub account one.
Reply to: #971020 by Goofy girl
Feb 4, 2019 5:21am
Thread
Thank you, Goofy girl!
Reply to: #971020 by Goofy girl
Feb 4, 2019 6:47am
Thread
You can also look under the "My Page" tab. There will be a link to "My Accounts"
Click that and you will be able to log into any of your sub accounts. :)
Reply to: #971023 by photopam
Feb 4, 2019 9:01am
Thread
And, I can see mine on my Mailbox page.
Reply to: #971018 by RDHG
Feb 4, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
Got me to wondering, if the original account is premium, do the sub-accounts under it also have premium perks? Does a sub-account function the same as the main account, have their own logbooks, separate mailboxes, ability to post in the forums, etc.?
Reply to: #971029 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 4, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
if the original account is premium, do the sub-accounts under it also have premium perks?

No.

Does a sub-account function the same as the main account, have their own logbooks, separate mailboxes, ability to post in the forums, etc.?

Yes.

-- Ryan
Where is the “recent threads” tab
Feb 5, 2019 10:28am
Thread
I’m guessing one of the bad things about being a webmaster is all the complaints you receive when you update but...

Under “Boards”, did the “recent threads” drop down go away? That was my go-to tab for the forums. If I’m missing something or there is a new better way please help a brother out.

DZ
Re: Where is the “recent threads” tab
Reply to: #971054 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 5, 2019 10:43am
Thread
Under “Biards”, did the “recent threads” drop down go away?

The drop-down went away, but the page is still there. (And updated too!) You can add it back yourself to the drop down from the Custom Menu preferences. (Premium member perk!)

But I wanted to de-emphasize the thread page because I think there are better ways of keeping an eye on what's happening in the message boards and suspect it confuses people. This is more of a "board-based" system rather than a "thread-based" system and I can't count the number of times someone didn't understand how something worked because they thought it was a thread-based system.

I'm not sure how you set up your My Page, but there is a "Threads" widget that allows you to see the most recent threads--and now you can even edit the preferences on it to show only "watched" threads or "all" threads (unless you're "ignoring" a thread, at which point it won't show up at all). Which seems like a better option for keeping an eye on threads.

The "newest messages" widget also now has an option to show only "watched" threads or all threads as well.

I guess I should also mention what a "watched" thread is. AQ actually has supported them for years--the posts were color-coded based on if you were watching a thread or not, and you were automatically subscribed to "watch" a thread whenever you posted to it. There was never an option to "unwatch" a thread, however, or to add a watch to the thread that you hadn't posted to. AQ will still automatically add a watch for any thread you post to, but now you can add (or remove) a watch manually by clicking the eyeball icon.

As a whole, though, I think the Favorite Boards widget is the easiest way to track new posts to boards that most interest you. The "new threads" and "new messages" widgets can be used to narrow (or expand) the favorite boards that you're tracking.

But like I said before, you're more than welcome to add the Threads page to your drop-down with the custom menus feature since you are a premium member. It's just a feature that I wanted to de-emphasize since I felt like it confused a lot of people new to the message boards.

-- Ryan