Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Hitch hiker logging
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 20, 2015 12:43pm
Thread
I have a question regarding hitch hiker etiquette. Is it okay to stamp a fellow boxers hitch hiker in your own logbook and record as a find? We each found HH's while boxing alone. We often box together and will most likely be together when relocating these hh's. Is this considered a no-no?
Re: Hitch hiker logging
Reply to: #895915 by The Lovebirds and Chicken Kid
Apr 20, 2015 12:45pm
Thread
I would say yes, it's okay.
Apr 20, 2015 12:57pm
Thread
I wouldn't have a problem with it. To me, this is a personal preference situation

I think HHs are pretty social kinds of stamps, in general. They like to travel and be seen. The more the merrier, especially if it moves them along in their travels.

I am sure I have stamped in HHs I haven't personally found, and I am sure I have shared them with another boxer in that manner. I know I have been at events where there have been copious HHs on the table. Sometimes I have stamped, sometimes I have passed. Some, I may have logged, although I am notoriously lax in logging non-traditional stamps (and even those sometimes!)
Apr 20, 2015 1:21pm
Thread
It's my understanding that you can log your logbook with a hitchhiker, but you should only log into the HH's logbook if you are moving it so the logbook doesn't fill up too quickly. Since it is traveling, it would be more difficult for the owner to do maintenance on it. Hope that helps!
Reply to: #895929 by NotMyCircus
Apr 20, 2015 2:12pm
Thread
That's what I thought too. Anyone can find it and stamp in their book, but only the person will is planting it next should add their sig to the HH logbook. My HH logbook only has 12 pages (23 stampable pages), so I'm all for being thrifty with the logbook.
Apr 20, 2015 2:54pm
Thread
If Bobby is driving along U.S. Highway 31 in south Alabama and comes upon a hitchhiking Jamaican little person strumming a mandolin, and decides to pick the little fellow up and give him a ride to Mobile, then on the way drops by his cousin Betty's house in Bay Minette, letting Betty listen to some music from the quaint mandolin playing Jamaican, cannot both Bobby and Betty claim to have met the small musician?

AB
Apr 20, 2015 5:06pm
Thread
I do it, therefore it is okay. ;)
Apr 20, 2015 7:20pm
Thread
Thank you everyone! I will log the HH and not feel guilty about it. :)
Treasure Hike?
Apr 23, 2015 5:04pm
Thread
There is an area on my Atlas Quest home page (after I log in) for "TreasureHiker Log". What is this? I googled Treasure Hiker, and some geocaching sites came up.

Thanks for any help with this.
Re: Treasure Hike?
Reply to: #896327 by BEJAYS
Apr 23, 2015 5:08pm
Thread
This is from the AQ glossary. If you don't want the Treasure Hiker widget on your page, just click the red X in the upper right corner of the widget to get rid of it.

TG
view finds
Apr 23, 2015 6:43pm
Thread
how do I access this choice when I do a search. My husband has this option I don't?
Re: view finds
Reply to: #896338 by a knitwit
Apr 23, 2015 6:59pm
Thread
Your husband is a premium member, you are not.

K
newest box list
Apr 24, 2015 4:48pm
Thread
I added a new box yesterday. It shows up in my logbook,but never appeared in newest boxes. Did I miss a step?
Re: newest box list
Reply to: #896447 by Apple girl
Apr 24, 2015 5:16pm
Thread
Is the box http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=253157? I see it listed as box #19 under What's New? The plant date is Apr 15th.
Re: newest box list
Reply to: #896449 by roo
Apr 24, 2015 5:26pm
Thread
Why yes it is, I guess I was only looking at the top of the list!!
How to adopt box?
Apr 28, 2015 2:29pm
Thread
Hi All,
How do I adopt a box? Someone on LbNA has told me via email that I could adopt his since he has not checked on it for 2 years. I plan on checking soon and repairing/ replacing as needed. How do I adopt and also put the clues on AQ?
Thx!
~Trail Fairy
Re: How to adopt box?
Reply to: #896872 by Trail Fairy
Apr 28, 2015 4:08pm
Thread
Since he has given permission, simply contact the LbNA webmasters and they can transfer ownership to you. Make sure you also have his permission to list it on AQ, then just add it like any other box by clicking "add box" under the "letterbox" tab at the top of the screen and filling in the information on each page. If he is also an AQ member, list him as "planter" and "carver", but if he is not, make that information blank and it will say "not listed". In either case, list yourself as owner. When you get to the clue page, it will give the option to just put in a link to the clue on LbNA.

K
Re: How to adopt box?
Reply to: #896883 by Kelsung
Apr 28, 2015 5:20pm
Thread
Great! Thanks! It was such a fun box years ago. :)
Planting LB in Libraries
Apr 29, 2015 5:29am
Thread
Hi All!
Do you ask librarian's permission to plant in a library or do you keep it hush hush and just plant? Looks like people have done both ways.
Thanks!
~Trail Fairy
Re: Planting LB in Libraries
Reply to: #896919 by Trail Fairy
Apr 29, 2015 5:30am
Thread
I have boxes planted inside a few libraries, and I always ask first. When the librarians know about it, your box has a better chance of survival if things get shifted around at some point.
Apr 29, 2015 6:20am
Thread
I never ask. If the box goes missing, the box goes missing. Sneaking around is half the fun.
Apr 29, 2015 6:52am
Thread
My library asked me to plant them there. And I know that they library downtown has workshops on letter boxing and they love them.
Apr 29, 2015 6:54am
Thread
I wanted mine in the children's room, so I asked permission. I thought adults acting suspiciously in the children's room would cause problems for everyone! But then they insisted on keeping it behind the desk so they could safeguard it - because they loved it, because they wanted it to last a long time. So I know some boxers won't even go for it, because they'd have to ask. Oh well. Can't make everyone happy!
Reply to: #896930 by Robertson Clan
Apr 29, 2015 7:13am
Thread
And I know that they library downtown has workshops on letter boxing and they love them.

One of the libraries where I planted asked me to hold a workshop on letterboxing, which I did. One of the attendees was a Girl Scout leader who wanted to work on the letterboxing badge with her troop. When I heard that, I really emphasized the "rehiding well" and "don't have each girl stamp a logbook page" aspects of letterboxing. I don't know if it helped, but at least I had the opportunity to educate this leader, which I wouldn't have been able to do if the library hadn't known about the boxes I was planting.
Apr 29, 2015 10:06am
Thread
I have found boxes both that are known by the staff and not.

Just a couple thoughts…
If you want to plant using a fake library book (a hollowed out book for a stamp that actually has a call number) I would recommend checking with the staff.

If your library has multiple security cameras (my library has lots of cameras), you may want to ask permission or at least be careful not to be within site of a camera. It is easy for the planter to not get caught on camera, but the finder is usually more prone to looking suspicious as they need more time to poke around and stamp in.
Apr 29, 2015 11:27am
Thread
I have planted letterboxes in three libraries. I had permission from the library director in each case. The department head should know also, i.e. reference, children's, etc.
Library boxes are really appreciated when the weather is foul. Plus it is a great way to see a new library. and of course the public computers are there to post your finds.
Apr 29, 2015 12:38pm
Thread
Our library is full of video cameras, because there was a horrible crime committed outside one, as a girl was dropping off a book after hours. I can't even imagine not asking permission. If I knew a letterbox had been planted in a library without permission, and there were cameras... I wouldn't even try to look for it.

I also had this experience at an airport in Singapore. Cameras everywhere, had to dig under rocks to find box. I looked for a bit, but there was just no way to be stealthy, and Singapore has severe laws for littering and pretty much anything. Even gum chewing.

It's not like that at most U.S. libraries, but why not just ask permission. If they say no, then find another place.
tracker help
Apr 30, 2015 7:09pm
Thread
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=8398

I don't even remember selecting traditional or ltc.
How do I fix this? I was suppose to list it as an LTC tracker.

Help please? :)
Re: tracker help
Reply to: #897054 by crosscresent
Apr 30, 2015 7:20pm
Thread
I replied to your other post. :)
Re: tracker help
Reply to: #897054 by crosscresent
Apr 30, 2015 8:04pm
Thread
You'll have to relist it. It can't be edited to change tracker type. I've also done that....

Just only pick the type LTC, don't pick Traditional or any of the other pictures, you don't need them, really.