A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Missing find?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #894585 by Inkwell
Apr 10, 2015 9:09pm
Thread
My comment on the find is on the list but the find is not in my logbook nor on the list of finds in the box description.

That happened to me last week. We found a series of 4 but after I logged our finds they didn't show up in the logbook. I realized that when I left a comment I forgot to check Found on the radio buttons. On an individual box the default is Found but on a series the default is NA.
Reply to: #894591 by Scooters Mom
Apr 10, 2015 10:02pm
Thread
I've done that several times.
New Box List
Apr 11, 2015 7:30am
Thread
My new release isn't showing up under the 'newest letterboxes' list on my page. Is it lost?
Reply to: #894590 by Kelsung
Apr 11, 2015 9:15am
Thread
Ok thanks!
Re: New Box List
Reply to: #894616 by DeeCee
Apr 11, 2015 10:19am
Thread
Is it Human Bunny Buddy? I see it.
Reply to: #894633 by Brown Cow
Apr 11, 2015 10:42am
Thread
Yes, that's the one. OK, if others can see it that's fine. Thanks BC
Apr 11, 2015 10:45am
Thread
new release isn't showing up under the 'newest letterboxes' list

I have panicked about this before until I realized that the boxes I see in my list are only those that fall within the mileage radius I have set on that widget. Click the pencil on the widget to see/set your mileage radius.
Peace
CTEE
Apr 11, 2015 7:14pm
Thread
It's not showing on my page but all the other new Rome boxes are showing up!
Apr 11, 2015 7:27pm
Thread
I can see it there, assuming you mean "Human Bunny Buddy". It is #42 on the list of Newest Boxes, if you have no location specified.
Reply to: #894677 by GApackrats
Apr 12, 2015 7:29am
Thread
Yes, I see the other Rome boxes also, just not mine. Brown Cow said she can see mine. Must be a thingy gone wrong somewhere.
recording a find
Apr 13, 2015 5:08pm
Thread
I made my first plant back in December of 2014 and with the weather finally being nice, i set out with my daughter's family to locate and find the boxes. Can i record these as finds on my page or no? I think the answer is no but i would like to make sure.

Thank you for your time :)
Re: recording a find
Reply to: #894890 by denvered
Apr 13, 2015 5:15pm
Thread
As you suspected, you can't record your own plants as finds. :^)
Reply to: #894894 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2015 5:16pm
Thread
Well, not finds, but you could "update status" so that everyone knows that they are live-and-well as of recently :)
Reply to: #894894 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2015 5:23pm
Thread
ok thank you!!!
Reply to: #894895 by Aiphid
Apr 13, 2015 5:25pm
Thread
Yeah, I know, but I didn't think that's what they were asking. :^)
Reply to: #894899 by denvered
Apr 13, 2015 5:25pm
Thread
You're welcome!
can i count this as a find
Apr 14, 2015 9:02am
Thread
I planted 4 letterboxes for my daughters family. This past weekend i joined them in their search, when we found the last letterbox inside we found a small bag with a stamp and notebook inside. It's called "A Sign Of Summer" with the letters HH..

I looked it up and i believe its a hitchhiker box. The first one we have ever found. My question is, even though i planted the boxes can I still record finding the hitchhiker bag that we found?
Re: can i count this as a find
Reply to: #895035 by denvered
Apr 14, 2015 9:05am
Thread
Absolutely. That is indeed a hitchhiker and you can log the find and move it along to another letterbox. Be sure it was stamped into your letterbox's logbook and be sure to stamp it into the logbook of the letterbox you leave it in.

K
Reply to: #895036 by Kelsung
Apr 14, 2015 9:09am
Thread
we will definetely do that. we were so excited to find that and are looking forward to putting it in another box somewhere. Thanks for your reply
Reply to: #895035 by denvered
Apr 14, 2015 10:12am
Thread
You can count it as a find :) and since it is your first found HH, it might be helpful to read up on how HH'ers are suppose to be stamped in the logbook of the box they were put in and the stamp of the host box should be stamped in the HHers logbook.

This can be confusing to even seasoned HH finders. :)

To me the whole point of a HitchHiker is to see in it's logbook where it has traveled to.
Reply to: #895037 by denvered
Apr 14, 2015 12:45pm
Thread
To register finding it on AQ select Letterboxes at the top toolbar, then record find, then enter the name and change type from traditional to HH.
Personal traveler problems
Apr 14, 2015 12:57pm
Thread
This box: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=51209 keeps showing up as my PT. I carved it, but it belongs to my sister. I've tried transferring ownership to her, but it continues to show up as mine. Although it's fun to be approached by people listing off celebrities on the Walk of Fame, they get pretty disappointed when I don't have a stamp for them....is there a way to get this off my list?
Re: Personal traveler problems
Reply to: #895075 by Angel and Demon
Apr 14, 2015 1:11pm
Thread
You are listed as the owner of the box, and according to this page, the owner is the person who maintains the box. Since it is your sister's PT, she should be the owner, and you should simply be the carver (you are already listed as that too). So just change the ownership to your sister on the Basic Details page and that should solve your problem.

TG
Reply to: #895078 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 14, 2015 3:39pm
Thread
Ok. I tried that before and it continued to show up (not in my logbook, but on the list for events that I attended). I just checked an upcoming event and it seems to be ok now.... thanks!
Re: Retired boxes
Reply to: #895183 by System
Apr 14, 2015 9:24pm
Does that mean they were marked retired after you notified the owners they were missing, or they were already retired when you hunted them, but you didn't know that until later? If the former, they may have changed the status based on your notification, not knowing for sure it was missing until then, or not being totally convinced prior unsuccessful attempts weren't just flukes.

If the latter, you missed the status column toward the right of your search results, and the status listed on the box details page, and the status indicated on the clue page.

Unless you were on LbNA, in which case you should check the status buttons (must be signed in) for attempts logged, indicating it could be missing. I can't see your logbook attempts or finds, so I can't be sure, but those are some possibilities.
Reply to: #895091 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2015 2:32pm
Thread
And it's back!
Reply to: #895528 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2015 10:07pm
Thread
Holy crap! You're listed as the owner again. As I'm assuming that you didn't change it, something is definitely hinkey. I think one of the webmasters needs to look into this and figure out why it changed back.

TG
Reply to: #895577 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 18, 2015 4:32am
Thread
Holy crap! You're listed as the owner again. As I'm assuming that you didn't change it, something is definitely hinkey.

The owner does get re-assigned by AQ automatically if the owner of the box has abandoned the listing to someone else associated with the box. First to another planter if there's an active planter in the list, then to one of the carvers if there's an active carver in the list.

It was meant to help reduce the numbers of abandoned traditional boxes and at least give other contributors of the box to "reclaim" it from the owner, but I hadn't thought to prevent it from happening with non-traditional boxes where the other contributors might not have much they can do about a box that's not accessible to them. I'll have to fix that when I get on a reliable Internet connection, but for the time being, I've retired the box so at least it won't show up in event listings anymore.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #895580 by Green Tortuga
Apr 18, 2015 6:22am
Thread
Thanks, Ryan! You have solved the mystery. I, along with all the folks who unsuccessfully tried to get the PT, thank you!!
Hitch hiker logging
Apr 20, 2015 12:43pm
Thread
I have a question regarding hitch hiker etiquette. Is it okay to stamp a fellow boxers hitch hiker in your own logbook and record as a find? We each found HH's while boxing alone. We often box together and will most likely be together when relocating these hh's. Is this considered a no-no?