A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: "Sent" Mail & "Inbox" Mail
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #857101 by Wise Wanderer
Jul 10, 2014 7:12am
Thread
Thanks to all for helping me understand the "Ins & Outs"!

~J (pun wasn't intended... Now my mind has drifted towards In-n-Out...)
Reply to: #857110 by JampersandJ
Jul 10, 2014 8:38am
Thread
Mmmmm.... Grilled Cheese, animal style. -TheKindlyVikings
The calendar widget
Jul 10, 2014 7:54pm
Thread
I have a red and green arrow on it- why
Re: The calendar widget
Reply to: #857220 by S and D
Jul 10, 2014 8:07pm
Thread
Send by & receive by dates for trackers you're in, probably.
Reply to: #857226 by WiseOldOwl
Jul 10, 2014 8:14pm
Thread
Oh, awesome!!

I love it
Reply to: #857229 by S and D
Jul 10, 2014 8:56pm
Thread
I just have to say, Shawna, thank you for asking the questions you do and noticing the changes that have happened during your absence - you are bringing good energy to the boards, reminders of some of the changes that have happened, and fun reminiscing opportunities as well. Keep it up AND welcome back :)
Reply to: #856976 by JampersandJ
Jul 10, 2014 9:58pm
Thread
if I send someone a message, but they haven't read it yet, their trailname will remain in bold font?

More-or-less, but it's not infallible. It's easy to mark a message as read or unread at whim, and if they forward messages to their regular email address, the icons means absolutely nothing. Even if they have messages forwarded to an email address, the trailname might be bold or not--there are two different forwarding options and one leaves the message as read on AQ and the other leaves it as unread.

So in a nutshell, as a rule of thumb, it might work. But really, there are absolutely no absolutes when it comes to knowing if someone has read your message or not.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #857236 by FORAYCH
Jul 11, 2014 3:00am
Thread
Wow, FORAYCH, thank you!
Reply to: #857220 by S and D
Jul 11, 2014 8:05am
Thread
I just recently found that calendar & love it.
AQ Mail
Jul 16, 2014 10:19am
Thread
If a message from AQ Mail (either sent or received) is not archived and then later deleted by the system, is it gone for good? Or is there a great abyss of messages through which one could search...
Re: AQ Mail
Reply to: #858502 by Squatchis
Jul 16, 2014 10:51am
Thread
Absolutely!! Enquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!! Is there a way to retrieve old mail???
Jul 16, 2014 12:41pm
Thread
if not archived, gone for good
Lock & Lock or Lock N Lock or is it Lock and Lock?
Jul 16, 2014 12:46pm
Thread
Is there a significant difference between Lock & Lock and Lock N Lock?

I always thought it was Lock N Lock (LnL) till just went online to try and purchase and my search brought up both LnL and L&L.

And while we are on the subject, best place to order online? Right this minute am needing 8 of the small 10oz containers.

A while back we ordered a 30pc set and the price was fab but included were a few ridiculous sized containers that while we did end up finding uses for them, eh I don't want to bother with or store.

Three Flamigos
Jul 16, 2014 1:12pm
Thread
If a message from AQ Mail (either sent or received) is not archived and then later deleted by the system, is it gone for good?

It's gone for good. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Re: Lock & Lock or Lock N Lock or is it Lock and Lock?
Reply to: #858541 by JerseyTrailblazers
Jul 16, 2014 1:21pm
Thread
Hehehehe, double snort, that was fabulous!

Choosing just became simpler, whichever is on sale.

Thanks!
Jul 16, 2014 1:51pm
Thread
Use this information wisely as in the right hands it could bring about a change that could lead to world peace, the elimination of hunger, eradication of disease and a true honest to goodness Triple Play package of Phone, TV and Internet that would deliver unsurpassed service and unlimited choices and programming for the low price of only $9.99 a month!

Does it also guarantee you winning a multi-million dollar lottery? I would like the money, please.
Jul 16, 2014 2:19pm
Thread
But in the wrong hands, well.... MUHAHAHAHA....

Thank you for the intriguing suggestion.

Eevil
Reply to: #858542 by Green Tortuga
Jul 16, 2014 5:00pm
Thread
Wait, are you saying that a piece of mail that could sit unopened in my inbox for a full year that I opened after 364 days that could then sit open in my inbox for 30 days that I sent to the trash after 29 days where it would remain for 30 more days before AQ deletes it is now gone forever in order to free up disk space and bandwidth for more important things?

But that means I only had 629,424 possible minutes in which I could have decided to transfer it to my archive folder, where it would have remained until the AQ server decayed from disrepair decades after the zombie apocalypse. I don't like making such hasty decisions.

Treebeard
Round Containers
Jul 16, 2014 8:21pm
Thread
I'm in need of some small, round containers that can take the winter weather around here. Where it will be hidden will be mostly safe from ice and snow, but it will need to be water-resistant and take the cold. Does anyone have experience with these round containers?
Re: Round Containers
Reply to: #858621 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 16, 2014 8:25pm
Thread
Don't have any experience, but I sure like the looks of those. I might order a set...
Jul 16, 2014 10:24pm
Thread
I'm in need of some small, round containers that can take the winter weather around here. Where it will be hidden will be mostly safe from ice and snow, but it will need to be water-resistant and take the cold. Does anyone have experience with these round containers?

OooooOOoo! Calibration. Bonus points for looking like a urine specimen jar?
Reply to: #858640 by Wry Me
Jul 16, 2014 10:30pm
Thread
Bonus points for looking like a urine specimen jar?

Not after its spray painted, silly!
Reply to: #858641 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Jul 16, 2014 10:37pm
Thread
Not after its spray painted, silly!

d'oh! smack.
Reply to: #858642 by Wry Me
Jul 16, 2014 10:52pm
Thread
Heyyyyy. Wait a minute. I didn't know you were a night owl too! Why didn't you tell me that last week?!

Then again, we did nightbox together. AND you're witness! It wasn't my fault!!! It was hers!! ;)

Ok. Where were we....something about round plastic, urine and spray paint... ;)
Jul 17, 2014 3:30am
Thread
FYI, these are not particularly small. 250ml is about 1 cup, so others are 2 cups (500ml) and 3 cups (750ml).
Box-status protocol & Owners finding own boxes?
Jul 17, 2014 4:46am
Thread
I've been wondering about a couple of things and hope that folks can help clarify:

When is it appropriate to find one's own boxes? (Does it actually count towards your finds when you do so?)

What should it mean when a box is said to be unavailable? I'd assumed that this meant either that the owner had gone out and pulled the box from its location or maybe that the box was definitely confirmed missing, but I did a series quite a while back. and it had some issues (two stamps were switched and in each other's locations), and some boxes needed slight repairs. When contacted about these issues, the owner responded by marking the boxes "unavailable" (but they are still out there). Doesn't that now make them just trash since new finders are unlikely to search for them? I'm a bit concerned about this and wondering what to do (if anything).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

-Parhelia
Re: Box-status protocol & Owners finding own boxes?
Reply to: #858663 by Parhelia
Jul 17, 2014 5:11am
Thread
When is it appropriate to find one's own boxes?

When you are doing maintenance or you just want to. When you report the find you will do a status update instead of a regular find. Like a regular find you can leave comments on the condition of the box or any special comments you'd like others to know about.

Does it actually count towards your finds when you do so - No. You'll notice in the list of finders that you will be identified in a green color. That means you did maintenance on your own box.

I make a box unavailable if I have it pulled for maintenance, or if I plan to pull it soon because I want to do something with the box. When I make it unavailable I don't want others to look for it, thus the unavailability. I intend to make the box available at some date in the future. So I believe "unavailability" is a temporary status.

There is also "unknown" status. Self-explanatory. The owner isn't sure if the box is still there or not. Still worth looking for if you are in the vicinity.
Jul 17, 2014 5:20am
Thread
You can't "find" your own boxes, but you can log a maintenance visit. Those will show up in the finds list in green. These visits don't count toward the owner's F total. You can find your own stamps, though, if you're not the owner or planter.

If the owner has marked the boxes "unavailable", then I would assume he/she is planning to take care of the problem in the near future. Not everyone can get right out to their boxes to fix problems, but the fact that the status has been changed indicates to me that he/she took your comment seriously and is planning to fix the boxes. Otherwise, the status would probably have been changed to "retired."

Many people (myself included) will search unavailable and retired boxes if we have reason to believe they're still there. In this case, though, it sounds like the owner doesn't want people to do that with the boxes in poor shape.

What can you do? Not much. If months pass and the boxes are still "unavailable" AND you have reason to believe that the owner would be appreciative, you COULD offer to go fix the problems. Usually basic maintenance done on the trail is appreciated. The only thing here is that, since you have notified them of the problem, they might take a subsequent offer as a "Hey, I'm checking up on you & you haven't done your job" kind of thing. It just depends on the person and how you present it. People can be touchy about their boxes sometimes, but if there's a big reason why they can't go fix it themselves (health, job, family concerns), they could be very grateful.

Just my two cents.
Jul 17, 2014 5:26am
Thread
You can't really find your own boxes, but you can update their status. There is a link for that when you open the box details. I see it listed as a "find" by you, but it shows in green so I know that it means you have checked on the boxes.

I use "unknown" if I know there is a problem with the boxes and I plan on going out to check them. If finders are having trouble finding the boxes and I am sure they are missing and I plan to replace the box or if I have pulled the box for repairs, I will mark it "Unavailable". I usually make a note in the clues too. I only mark a box "Retired" if I (or someone else) has removed the box altogether and I have no intention of replacing it.

That said, others use the status differently. If it is in a series, I will usually still look for a box no matter the status just in case. If it is a single box, marked unavailable, I won't see it on a search and probably wouldn't look for it. My searches are set to still show me boxes that are "unknown". Those, I often will search for if I have the time.
Reply to: #858666 by BBStacker
Jul 17, 2014 6:07am
Thread
I found a box called unknown. It is still listed as unknown. Seems like it ought to be listed as active, since it was found twice recently. But the owners are no longer active, so it sits there, listed as unknown.