Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Why does my box not not meet mystery search criteria?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #854492 by MO UR4Me
Jun 23, 2014 12:22pm
Thread
I did that on purpose but will have to change my plan...

Keep in mind--if people search for the name of the box instead of a location, it will show up in the results just fine. But I figure if anyone does a location-based search to see what boxes they can find, they're going to watch clues to follow!

So if someone already has the clue and knows the name of the box, they can just search using that method instead.

-- Ryan
Re: Why does my box not not meet mystery search criteria?
Reply to: #854492 by MO UR4Me
Jun 23, 2014 12:30pm
Thread
I love the clue now: "Pay Attention!" That should be the motto of all boxers. I'm not the only one who puts clues in lots of places other than clue pages.

K
Clue Page
Jun 23, 2014 3:15pm
Thread
I have found a minor issue with the new clue page. I admit it is purely cosmetic but I still wanted to mention it...

For those of us who copy/paste clues, the colon is no longer included for the planter/planted/modified section. It is visible, but not something you can select. Look at a box and what you see is

Planter: Green Tortuga
Planted: May 12, 2001
Modified: June 22, 2014

but if you copy the text you actually get

PlanterGreen Tortuga
PlantedMay 12, 2001
ModifiedJune 22, 2014

with no spaces and no colons.
Re: Clue Page
Reply to: #854540 by Eidolon
Jun 23, 2014 5:37pm
Thread
For those of us who copy/paste clues, the colon is no longer included for the planter/planted/modified section.

That was certainly an unintended side effect... The problem should be fixed now! I'm adding the colon (and space) with HTML instead of CSS which ought to fix the issue. However, until your browser caches the new CSS file, you might be seeing double colons (one from HTML and one from CSS). Refreshing the page should fix that. Eventually the browser will fix it on its own as soon as the new CSS is picked up again.

-- Ryan
Re: Unidentified HH
Reply to: #854096 by crosscresent
Jun 23, 2014 7:39pm
Thread
They said dinosaur tail, kind of looks like an octopus tentacle also.
Wiki Land Manager Use category change needed
Jun 24, 2014 6:59am
Thread
I added a bunch of info the Wiki Land Use for Missouri, but I was only able to update an existing entry. What we really need is for the following to be major headings (I am guessing h2) in this order:

Missouri Department of Conservation
Missouri State Parks
Mark Twain National Forest
U.S. Army Corp of Engineers
Missouri Cities/Counties

and then move all the cities/counties I listed as h3's under the Missouri Cities/Counties h2.
Or you can make all the cities/counties by h2 as well if that's how other states are.

I was previously storing this info on gatewayletterboxers.org but would like to just link to this instead. Missouri geocachers don't seem to exist anymore so they aren't keeping a list, either.

Thanks!!
Re: Wiki Land Manager Use category change needed
Reply to: #854646 by MO UR4Me
Jun 24, 2014 8:17am
Thread
I added a bunch of info the Wiki Land Use for Missouri, but I was only able to update an existing entry.

What do you mean you were only able to update an existing entry? You should be able to create as many new entries as needed. Each land manager should have their own entry with their name in the title just by clicking the "Add Question" button.

Locations specific to Missouri would go in the Missouri category while places that span multiple states would go in the general Land Manager Policies category (e.g. U.S. Army Corp of Engineers).

-- Ryan
Reply to: #854661 by Green Tortuga
Jun 25, 2014 8:05pm
Thread
Hmm, I guess I didn't realize that's what the Ask Question button was for because I didn't have a question, I had an answer. And clearly not enough coffee in my system. Unless the button really is supposed to say Add but actually says Ask, in which case I suppose I was rightfully confused. But I could have been more curious and figured it out! Thanks for splitting them up, I have gotten rid of my webpage that had 'em.
Reply to: #854975 by MO UR4Me
Jun 25, 2014 10:52pm
Thread
Unless the button really is supposed to say Add but actually says Ask, in which case I suppose I was rightfully confused.

Most of the wikis are questions--the land manager policies just seemed easier to list the land managers rather then require people to ask it in the form of a question. "What are the letterboxing policies of Missouri State Parks?"

So it's mostly a relic of how the rest of the wiki works--as a Q&A. And if you're adding a new entry, anywhere except the land manager policies, it's in the form of a question, so "ask question" seems reasonable. Even if you plan to add your own answer!

-- Ryan
Re: Accounts for Kids
Reply to: #855022 by System
Jun 26, 2014 7:01am
Thread
You can set up sub-accounts for your kids.

TG
Re: Searching....
Reply to: #854104 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 26, 2014 7:05am
Thread
Thanx everyone for your help with this.
Reply to: #855024 by Trekkie Gal
Jun 26, 2014 8:19am
Thread
Wow. I didn't know that!! Ya learn something new everyday!
Reply to: #855044 by Colorful Caterpillars
Jun 26, 2014 7:57pm
Thread
Its great too because you can log in finds for all your accounts/subaccounts at one time, so no need to log in for every account.
Maps are broken
Jun 27, 2014 4:42am
Thread
There seem to be problems with the maps on AtlasQuest. Yesterday I mapped a set of boxes and the controls for the maps were very messed up. For example, opening a pin shows the name of the letterbox but the little close box in the top right corner is barely visible. The controls for zooming in and out are also distorted and unusable. I was using Firefox 30, in case that matters.
Re: Maps are broken
Reply to: #855157 by MichKathy
Jun 27, 2014 4:48am
Thread
Note: same problems seen on an iPad.
Re: Maps are broken
Reply to: #855157 by MichKathy
Jun 27, 2014 5:55am
Thread
There seem to be problems with the maps on AtlasQuest. Yesterday I mapped a set of boxes and the controls for the maps were very messed up. For example, opening a pin shows the name of the letterbox but the little close box in the top right corner is barely visible. The controls for zooming in and out are also distorted and unusable. I was using Firefox 30, in case that matters.

I have seen that recently too. It is probably the window size setting on AQ squeezing the map navigation bar too much. As far as I remember, it only happens on search results pages since the map is not full width.

Clicking the pins is a challenge when it is like that but you can at least still zoom by clicking into the map and then using + and - on the keyboard.
Reply to: #855022 by System
Jun 28, 2014 4:34pm
Thread
I have sub accounts. Mostly because they are underage and I don't want them being contacted directly. It's under the My Page tab, then under My Account. They can have their own passwords and everything, you just get better monitoring.
Mass AQ mail
Jun 28, 2014 8:01pm
Thread
How do I send the same message to a number of different people on AQ?
Re: Mass AQ mail
Reply to: #855349 by BEBO BEAR
Jun 28, 2014 8:03pm
Thread
Bebo, like with most email, you can just put their trail names separated by commas (or, I believe, semi-colons) in the "To" field. Just be careful to spell them correctly.

k
Reply to: #855349 by BEBO BEAR
Jun 29, 2014 3:05am
Thread
I haven't done it in awhile but you can also create a mailing group where you enter everyone's trail name once, name the group as you want. After that you can add or delete trail names from the group. I found that convenient.

Just go to your "Write" tab in your Mail Box and select the "Groups" link on the upper left. Once there in the upper right corner will be a Create Group button.

This is ideal for those times you communicate with the same people frequently and all at the same time.
Reply to: #855381 by BBStacker
Jun 29, 2014 12:08pm
Thread
Thanks all. That answers my question and, if done correctly, all the individuals should have gotten the same message by now.
which board?
Jun 30, 2014 10:55am
Thread
which board would I look for or post on to learn more about the Box of the Month traditional plants (12 boxes rotating through one plant site)?
Re: which board?
Reply to: #855551 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jun 30, 2014 2:51pm
Thread
I would probably put posting on the traditional plants board.

Here are a couple threads from the past on the subject:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/messages.html?gStartId=688610;gThreadId=99629

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=830290

Jeff
Seasonal planting
Jul 2, 2014 3:33am
Thread
I need some advice. There is a garden/nursery that I'd love to introduce letterboxers to by planting a few boxes there. However they are closed for the winter months. I'm willing to pull the boxes at the end of the season and replant in the spring when the gardens open up again (and the owners are agreeable to this). I'm just not sure how to go about it. Would I RETIRE them when I pull them and then put them back on ACTIVE status in the spring when replanting? Has anyone else done this?
Re: Seasonal planting
Reply to: #855844 by Gypsy Cat
Jul 2, 2014 3:45am
Thread
I have a box at an ice cream stand that I do exactly that. I mention it in the clue, once the stand is closed for the season, the box is pulled. Rather than retiring it, I mark it as "unavailable". Then in the spring I just mark the box as "available" again and write a little announcement about it being available again in the state board.
Reply to: #855845 by honig603
Jul 2, 2014 4:10am
Thread
Great idea! Thank you so much!
Reply to: #855844 by Gypsy Cat
Jul 2, 2014 4:12am
Thread
Do you even need to pull the box? Since the owners know it is there I would not bother.

Just update the status to "unavailable" as needed and/or note in the clues "normally only open March through October" or whatever.
Pictures
Jul 2, 2014 9:05am
Thread
Is there a way to upload pics from an iPhone? It does not seem to work for me
Re: Pictures
Reply to: #855879 by S and D
Jul 2, 2014 9:17am
Thread
Never mind- changed devices
Re: Pictures
Reply to: #855879 by S and D
Jul 2, 2014 11:06am
Thread
I have loaded pictures to AQ from my iphone5 and it must have been easy because I done it. LOL