A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: rating boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #851588 by Sunia
Jun 7, 2014 6:18am
Thread
Click on the word Letterbox at the top of your screen. That will take you to Letterbox Central.
Then scroll down to
Record Ratings
Rate the letterboxes you've found and tweak the ratings you've already provided.
Reply to: #851589 by Scooters Mom
Jun 7, 2014 7:09am
Thread
thank you!!!
Reply to: #851589 by Scooters Mom
Jun 7, 2014 7:24am
Thread
Click on the word Letterbox at the top of your screen. That will take you to Letterbox Central

I've been "mousing over" all this time, and just been seeing the "drop-downs" for over a year now. Wow, a whole new world has just opened up!

~J (didn't know what she didn't know, and now she knows it only works sporadically on her ancient iPad)
Reply to: #851592 by JampersandJ
Jun 7, 2014 9:02am
Thread
I've been "mousing over" all this time, and just been seeing the "drop-downs" for over a year now.

A lot of people don't realize that those links are clickable, but I'm not sure how else to make it more obvious except to repeat them in the drop downs which seems redundant and ugly. I have the links change color, and the pointer changes into a "clickable" pointer, and the link is underlined, but people see the drop downs and assume those are the only clickable links. I can't figure out a simple way to let people know those main menu bar links are clickable!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #851602 by Green Tortuga
Jun 7, 2014 9:20am
Thread
Ryan, can you make the main menu bar look more like individual buttons? It took me a while to remember to click them, or when they scroll over the main menu, a little bubble temporarily pops up, like your little Tips bubble, that could say, Link is clickable, AND also a dropdown menu.
Reply to: #851605 by FloridaFour
Jun 7, 2014 10:02am
Thread
Ryan, can you make the main menu bar look more like individual buttons?

Hmm.... Maybe..... I need to redesign the menubar to make them more smartphone friendly anyhow. Maybe I can play around with "buttonizing" them at the same time.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #851612 by Green Tortuga
Jun 7, 2014 10:46am
Thread
I keep forgetting that if you click on the menu there are many more options that the ones that appear when you hover over the button. So I'll go back and forth hovering over all the buttons trying to find what I'm looking for and wondering why I can't find it. Maybe a listing on the hover menu for "More Options" would help.
Reply to: #851612 by Green Tortuga
Jun 7, 2014 5:16pm
Thread
I like that all the links in the menu area at the bottom of the page. Great for my smart phone use. :)
Reply to: #851660 by photopam
Jun 7, 2014 6:53pm
Thread
But that one is NOT at the bottom of the page.
Reply to: #851678 by Sunia
Jun 7, 2014 7:36pm
Thread
Yes, the link to "Letterboxes" is down there, too. They all are. Just click on the word "Letterboxes" and you can get there from the bottom of the page as well.
Reply to: #851678 by Sunia
Jun 7, 2014 10:09pm
Thread
But that one is NOT at the bottom of the page.

There's not really room to put every link on AQ at the bottom of the page. But if clicking the "Letterboxes" menubar option is too confusing, there's also the sitemap which is a link in the footer of pretty much every page. It has a link to the rating boxes too. =) There's pretty much an unlimited amount of space available on the sitemap page since that page is all about showing links to pretty much every feature on AQ. (If there's one missing, though, it's probably because I forgot to add it. Let me know and I'll add it.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #851698 by Green Tortuga
Jun 8, 2014 12:29am
Thread
never knew about the site map!
Found a tag for a different box
Jun 8, 2014 11:58am
Thread
We were at the park searching for letterboxes, we were unsuccessful in finding them. We did however find the tag for a letterbox informing us of finding the box, what it is and all that. We noticed that the name of the box on the tag is different than the one we were searching for. Doing a search here and at letterboxing.org yielded no results. We found this strange. The name of the box is GS 3010 Camp. We were looking for a completely different box.
Any ideas?
Re: Found a tag for a different box
Reply to: #851740 by photopam
Jun 8, 2014 12:06pm
Thread
Girl scout letterbox, unlisted
Reply to: #851742 by FloridaFour
Jun 8, 2014 12:55pm
Thread
Perhaps. It did mention letterboxing.org for more info on letterboxing though.
I even did a google search for it with no luck.

Oh well.
Reply to: #851740 by photopam
Jun 8, 2014 1:06pm
Thread
Where was it found?

They may have mentioned letterboxing.org, and then never bothered to list it. I had searched for 3 girl scout boxes that were listed, but not planted yet... So I don't think they always really know what to do. Good intentions and all, but not followed through.

My niece's girl scout troop has letterboxes, but they don't use published clues. It is just for Girl Scouts.
Reply to: #851747 by FloridaFour
Jun 8, 2014 1:33pm
Thread
Explain to them when they leave it without listing and just stays out there its Litter, not letterbox.
Reply to: #851748 by Granny Butterfly
Jun 8, 2014 2:00pm
Thread
The troop planted them for Girl Scouts to find. They give the clues to Girl Scouts. No need for the clues to be listed on line.
Reply to: #851748 by Granny Butterfly
Jun 8, 2014 9:01pm
Thread
There are lots of ways to list letterboxes, AQ and LbNA are not the only sources. There are other places online to find clues, and WOM, bonus boxes, cuckoo clues are some obvious examples of ways that clues can be disseminated without the need of online information. In this case, I simply accept that Girl Scouts plant boxes just for Scouts.

K
Reply to: #851755 by Sheba
Jun 9, 2014 7:43am
Thread
My daughter is a girl scout, but this location is in a different council. Oh well.
Reply to: #851884 by photopam
Jun 9, 2014 11:18am
Thread
You could still contact the council office for the council you found the box in and see if they are able to put you in touch with troop 3010.
Reply to: #851884 by photopam
Jun 16, 2014 3:41pm
Thread
Looks like GS Troop 3010 is based in Sugar Land, TX. Here's their "public" website for non-troop members to contact the troop: http://www.scoutlander.com/publicsite/unithome.aspx?UID=4041
When I first started boxing with the dogs, I always seemed to find the remains of boxes. Even if the box had been found recently, when I got to it, there would only be part of a box left. In fact, there was a string of thoughts on this on another board not long ago. I felt like I was the black plague of letterboxing since I had to tell the planter their box was no longer whole, or was in really bad shape. "Beware! DogScout1 is going after one of your boxes. You know it's doomed." But we got past the black plague period and the first box we found was actually planted at the GS headquarters in Fort Worth. So nice DogScouts found a box planted by Girl Scouts.

DogScout1
Where did it go?
Jun 20, 2014 6:06pm
Thread
I noticed that today's blog entry didn't show up in the Letterboxing News widget, and then I realized that none of the past entries show up. I went to Manage Blogs, and it isn't even listed. What happened?

TG
Found mugged letterbox
Jun 20, 2014 6:07pm
Thread
I recently found a muggled letterbox. There was no box or logbook but I found the stamp in the dirt. I wrapped the stamp up in a Baggie and re-hid it. Is there a standard procedure to dealing with muggled boxes?
Re: Found mugged letterbox
Reply to: #853919 by irod
Jun 20, 2014 6:12pm
Thread
Do you have any idea what box it was? If so, the best thing to do is contact the planter.
Reply to: #853919 by irod
Jun 20, 2014 6:25pm
Thread
If I had both a box and emergency temp. logbook, I would put it back together and re-hide, then contact the owner. If I did not have those rescue items, I would not leave the stamp behind, but take it with me, contact the owner, and attempt to return it to them.
Reply to: #853923 by Wise Wanderer
Jun 20, 2014 7:17pm
Thread
You can tell what trail you were on and describe the stamp and see if the owner claims it ...if you do not already know what letterbox it was supposed to be....if you know the letterbox (if you had the clue and were hunting for it) then you can tell the owner about it so they can work on fixing it

Amandafromseattle
Re: Where did it go?
Reply to: #853918 by Trekkie Gal
Jun 20, 2014 7:41pm
Thread
I noticed that today's blog entry didn't show up in the Letterboxing News widget, and then I realized that none of the past entries show up. I went to Manage Blogs, and it isn't even listed. What happened?

Oh... crap. I think I might know what happened. Did you happen to edit your blog recently?

Let me work my magic and see if I can get your blog running again....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #853940 by Green Tortuga
Jun 20, 2014 7:53pm
Thread
I should have known it was a "blame Ryan" situation.

TG
Reply to: #853946 by Trekkie Gal
Jun 20, 2014 10:12pm
Thread
I should have known it was a "blame Ryan" situation.

I would always blame wassa, the odds are just so much better.