About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

bonus box not showing up...
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Oct 11, 2013 7:18pm
Thread
Planted a group of boxes recently. The sixth box has a clue in it to a bonus box. When setting up the bonus box, entered the box number of the sixth box, as instructed, so that bonus box would show up when a find was recorded on the sixth box. The first finder of the sixth box logged their find and I told them to do another search so they could log the bonus box. Doesn't show up. Neither box has any other restriction. Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks.
Re: bonus box not showing up...
Reply to: #809975 by foxfriend
Oct 11, 2013 7:38pm
Thread
Planted a group of boxes recently. The sixth box has a clue in it to a bonus box. When setting up the bonus box, entered the box number of the sixth box, as instructed, so that bonus box would show up when a find was recorded on the sixth box. The first finder of the sixth box logged their find and I told them to do another search so they could log the bonus box. Doesn't show up. Neither box has any other restriction. Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

More on the problem..... My first finder discovered that the bonus box does show up but only if they do a search of 'Planet Earth'. I tried to correct this but the bonus box entry path does not have a location page. Any ideas?
Reply to: #809976 by foxfriend
Oct 11, 2013 8:19pm
Thread
Sounds like there is no problem. I double checked and mine are the same way. Make sure you leave the AQ number on your clue for the last box. The finder can write it down and log it easier. Or they will be able to find it in your logbook once they have found the other box.
Reply to: #809976 by foxfriend
Oct 11, 2013 8:21pm
Thread
That is how mine show up, as well. I had a few people find it confusing, so what I did was include instructions with the AQ # of the box, IN the bonus box on one of them, and on the clue slip (they have to take the paper with them on this other box). I still don't get everyone logging them but I no longer email people, unless they ask me about it.

Also they can do a search of your boxes and it will show up, IF you have your plants set to public.
Reply to: #809977 by christmas6
Oct 11, 2013 8:24pm
Thread
That's really weird. There is a bonus box that I haven't found yet, but I was able to do a simple search, just with the name, because I'd already found the parent box. The location is planet earth, just as you say, but the box name brought it up with no trouble at all.
Reply to: #809977 by christmas6
Oct 11, 2013 9:22pm
Thread
Good ideas, thank you.
Reply to: #809979 by Wry Me
Oct 12, 2013 9:44am
Thread
All of this is exactly how it is supposed to be, not weird at all. To find any bonus box listing, you need to search for it specifically by name or box number, look in the planter's logbook, or do a search of "Planet Earth". This is true of any bonus, with or without a parent box, because by definition, they don't have a location since that would give their existance away.

Giving the bonus a dependency just means it won't show up even if you search for it until after the parent box is logged.

This is also how you search for mystery boxes with no given location. Many give a county or state, so will show up in a large location search, but a search of "Planet Earth" may turn up a mystery clue to a box right down the street.

K
Reply to: #810001 by Kelsung
Oct 12, 2013 9:55am
Thread
Exactly. The weird part for me was that they couldn't.
Reply to: #810005 by Wry Me
Oct 12, 2013 10:11am
Thread
I misunderstood you, sorry, and my post was just generally directed at the whole thread.

K
Reply to: #810008 by Kelsung
Oct 12, 2013 10:55am
Thread
I just figured I'd done my usual and posted some convoluted sentence that left my meaning unclear. I have to edit almost all my posts. No worries, luv.
Dixie
Oct 16, 2013 6:55pm
Thread
Does anyone know what Dixie's status is, does she still sell letterboxing items?
Re: Dixie
Reply to: #810822 by Traveling Duo
Oct 16, 2013 7:00pm
Thread
Wish I knew.
Reply to: #810824 by Raven
Oct 16, 2013 7:54pm
Thread
Are you speaking of Dixie from North Carolina? She is a grandmother to a beautiful little girl and runs a shop called Finder 's Keepers. Guess her life is full and very busy.
Reply to: #810832 by cheekee monkey
Oct 17, 2013 12:57pm
Thread
Hope she comes back to boxing.
Reply to: #810945 by Raven
Oct 21, 2013 4:46am
Thread
Me too!
Stamp Exchange Notices
Oct 24, 2013 7:06am
Thread
Why do my notices of all the stamp exchange offers seem to show up at 3 a.m. or early morning? By the time I get up in the morning they're all taken.
Re: Stamp Exchange Notices
Reply to: #812170 by Topcollector
Oct 24, 2013 9:09am
Thread
Why do my notices of all the stamp exchange offers seem to show up at 3 a.m. or early morning?

AQ has nothing better to do then. =)

By the time I get up in the morning they're all taken.

And what time would you prefer to get them? I could send them out at any time, but I'm not sure that your results would improve because if I send them out at 3:00 PM or something, there will still likely be people who get the notifications before you log in to get yours.

If you really want a leg up on everyone, though, use your knowledge of when the notifications go out to your advantage. Check the list before you go to bed. Nobody else would have gotten a notification yet, but everyone will have already listed their stamp exchanges for the day. You could get first dibs on them all! ;o)

-- Ryan
Oct 24, 2013 10:02am
Thread
Notifications aren't why these stamps are going so fast. Its all the stalkers! They keep checking the exchange all day and night!
Oct 24, 2013 12:34pm
Thread
Topcollector, I'm going to personally email you with my next stamp needs. You're now on my stalker list. You may regret it! LOL! What kind of stuff do you like to carve? I'm in process of getting permission to plant in my local city parks, then I may have some neat new places to plant.

I also have an idea for another longer hiking series, but I am not ready yet. I need permission at that park before I list it.
Reply to: #812214 by FloridaFour
Oct 24, 2013 12:56pm
Thread
I also have an idea for another longer hiking series, but I am not ready yet. I need permission at that park before I list it.

Unless your local parks had a specific policy in place (do they?), why would you alert them to your plants &/or give them an opportunity to say no, when it probably wouldn't have occurred to them before?
Reply to: #812218 by Wry Me
Oct 24, 2013 1:20pm
Thread
Why would you alert them to your plants

I'm a geocacher, and I need express permission, down to the name of the official, to plant hybrid boxes, or my reviewer won't approve them. I'm planning to plant more hybrids to educate geocachers about letterboxing and help recruit potential letterboxers. I get good feedback on them, so I know they are appreciated.

Our city parks require permits. County parks are all different, some require permits, some don't.

I have planted a few out of state without permission, and had one backfire on me.
And I've just come to prefer getting permission in the more public parks where I am most definitely noticed (as in the ranger always says hi and recognises me). It just has been beneficial in several ways. I even had a box helf for me, and they called me when they had to replace the bridge I planted under.

Way out in the woods, no I probably wouldn't get permission if I knew it was allowed. But I'm not way out in the woods.

Anyway, I just feel more comfortable with it. Letterboxing is foreign to most parks people here. So it helps if they are educated as well. So far, so good, works for me! :)
Reply to: #812223 by FloridaFour
Oct 24, 2013 1:38pm
Thread
Ahh. Should've assume, all things considered, that they were caches, and I keep forgetting about passing moderator muster. I'm fixin' to plant a bunch on some lovely local trails here. (Not asking, of course, as is my predilection.) We'll see how it goes.
Oct 25, 2013 3:18pm
Thread
You can always add the Stamp Exchange widget to your "My Page" and see them as soon as you log in :)
Turning a box into a series
Oct 26, 2013 9:19pm
Thread
A few weeks ago I planted my first box. Since then, I've carved a few more stamps that could add to the original and make series. But the problem is that 3 people have found my box already. Is it possible to turn my first box into a series (that includes the first box) without losing the finds it has already?
Re: Turning a box into a series
Reply to: #812583 by CatCo
Oct 26, 2013 9:21pm
Thread
Is it possible to turn my first box into a series (that includes the first box) without losing the finds it has already?

Absolutely! Just "edit" the box listing, go the "Series Info" page, then add the other boxes in the series.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #812585 by Green Tortuga
Oct 27, 2013 9:06am
Thread
It also might be a nice gesture to email those 3 finders to let them know you planted more for them to find. This isn't required, as the new boxes in the series will show up in searches for them, but giving them a heads up would be cool.

K
Reply to: #812624 by Kelsung
Oct 27, 2013 9:43am
Thread
This isn't required, as the new boxes in the series will show up in searches for them, but giving them a heads up would be cool.

When you add new boxes to a series, not only will it start showing up in searches for them, but they'll also get notifications of new boxes as AQ mail if they've set things up to be notified.

So I generally wouldn't bother with notifications unless there were a specific reason I thought one of them might have a particular interest in the new boxes. But it doesn't really hurt anything either. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Retrieving a Reserve Box
Reply to: #815552 by Arf!
Nov 13, 2013 1:39pm
Go to your logbook. Action: plants. Type: reserved.
Missing Finds
Nov 30, 2013 3:02pm
Thread
Hi!

I just logged in to record a few finds today and noticed that my little ribbon icon notes that we have finds in the 900s. Well, I know that this isn't the case. We're into the thousands and have been for awhile.

I sorted my logbook by "Finds" and "Display most recent first" and I see that I have a huge gap in time where no finds are being shown. I also ran a search on my local area and there were boxes showing as never found that we have found.

Between August of 2011 and June of 2013 there are no finds listed at all...that's almost two years of finds that are missing.

We travel to box a lot, and we use AQ as our main logbook method, so I'm not sure how to figure out which boxes are missing...Any idea/solution beyond just trying to figure out which ones aren't there by looking through all of our physical logbooks and re-logging them?
Re: Missing Finds
Reply to: #817880 by Mososo Kruppe
Nov 30, 2013 3:13pm
Thread
Any idea/solution beyond just trying to figure out which ones aren't there by looking through all of our physical logbooks and re-logging them?

Unless there are old backups that have more info (which I wouldn't count on ), not likely a better "solution" unfortunately.