A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: Looking for Mentor
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #507754 by Falling Rocks
Apr 19, 2010 12:11pm
Thread
I suggest you join the Newboxers yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newboxers/

While they are not keen on postals, they will answer virtually any question about regular letterboxing - after, of course, recommending you do all the reading that preboxed listed.

BL47
Apr 19, 2010 12:38pm
Thread
Lots of great folks here, aren't there? Another great place I joined...and still am reading is the yahoo group for newboxers. Mark Pepe is the moderator and its another great place to learn the hobby's ins and outs. Lots of boards here too when you peruse them.

Enjoy.

Granny Butterfly
Author of box?
Apr 19, 2010 12:42pm
Thread
Where do I list the author of a box?
Re: Author of box?
Reply to: #507786 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Apr 19, 2010 12:50pm
Thread
Where do I list the author of a box?

It's just called a planter now. Apparently, the term 'author' wasn't very clear.

-- Ryan
Re: Author of box?
Reply to: #507787 by Green Tortuga
Apr 19, 2010 12:51pm
Thread
Ok, thank you!
Apr 19, 2010 1:30pm
Thread
How do you officially adopt a box?

Our scout troop adopted a box, more like became overseers. The planter does not live in the area and she gave us permission to take care of the box, we were added to the "Basic Detail" info under "Contacts" on the letterbox. Set up like this, the planter and our troop both receive emails/messages about the box when one is sent. Adopting has to be done through the original planter of the box as far as I know. -Aspen
Apr 19, 2010 1:44pm
Thread
If you haven't already, you can check out.... http://www.letterboxing.info ......I would also suggest, once again, if you haven't already, joining the Georgia board and seeing if you can go boxing with someone who has more experience.

You're going to get tons of replies. The question I'll address is the one about mystery boxes (ciphers). There is a wide range of boxes, from childishly easy to the ones that make your head hurt just looking at the clues. I suggest you start with easy boxes unless you just like mysteries.

Most of the time the cipher will not be included because you are supposed to be figuring out which one should be used. Some clues are **meant** to be very, very.....VERY hard. Some people like them and some don't. People sometimes spend many months on really hard clues, often winding up at the wrong location and having to start all over again. To each his own. It's all part of the hobby.

MM
Apr 19, 2010 2:25pm
Thread
Come to one of the Second Saturday Seekers events. We would be happy to show you the ropes.
Reply to: #507810 by DragonDs
Apr 19, 2010 3:54pm
Thread
Asked for a mentor and so far you have eight. The boxer I call "mentor" simply was the person who answered questions directly, clearly and quickly. We now are "call a friend" when looking for a box that we can not find and we see the other has found it. One reason some people hide the finds on their boxes. Call a friend or mentor might help with a cryptic clue.
Online Letterboxes
Apr 21, 2010 1:44pm
Thread
How do I search for online letterboxes?
Re: Online Letterboxes
Reply to: #508376 by The Big Cheese
Apr 21, 2010 1:45pm
Thread
are you talking about virtual letterboxes??? if so up in the top menu bar on the right under mypage hit virtuals
BB
Reply to: #508377 by BootyBandits
Apr 21, 2010 1:52pm
Thread
I am pretty sure that one has to be a member of the 'Virtuals Group' to see that under the MyPage menu bar. Mama Cache is the administrator of Virtuals and she would be able to help.
Reply to: #508377 by BootyBandits
Apr 21, 2010 1:57pm
Thread
Thank you guys! Appreciate it :)
Reply to: #508380 by Ursus and Me
Apr 21, 2010 2:04pm
Thread
I am pretty sure that one has to be a member of the 'Virtuals Group' to see that under the MyPage menu bar.

Actually, go to the "My Page" menu up above, click on "Preferences", then choose "Miscellaneous". In there you will see a spot to click on if you want to see Virtuals.
Menus
Apr 23, 2010 10:33am
Thread
OK, it's been bugging me for months, but I'm finally going to ask. At some point, my menus changed from drop-downs at the top to a clickable list at the bottom. I thought it was just a change Ryan made to the site, but my daughter and several of my friends have the drop downs still. What did I do to screw it up, and where can I go to fix it. I don't see anything in my preferences.

Thanks.

Thunderbird
Re: Menus
Reply to: #508836 by thunderbird
Apr 23, 2010 10:37am
Thread
At some point, my menus changed from drop-downs at the top to a clickable list at the bottom.

Under "My Page" menu, "Preferences", then "Themes". Look for an option button there to enable/disable Drop-down menus.
Bookmark help needed
Apr 23, 2010 7:13pm
Thread
Wassa! Help!

I accidentally bookmarked a post. I don't see a way to un-bookmark it.

Also, if I should actually intend to bookmark a post in the future, where would I go to retrieve it later?

BL47
Re: Bookmark help needed
Reply to: #508946 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 23, 2010 7:16pm
Thread

Also, if I should actually intend to bookmark a post in the future, where would I go to retrieve it later?

Under the "Boards" menu, there is a link for "My Bookmarks". That's both where you can see them, and where you can delete them!
Reply to: #508947 by wassamatta u
Apr 23, 2010 7:53pm
Thread
That's great! Good to know.
Reply to: #508946 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 23, 2010 11:12pm
Thread

Thanks for that post. I meant to bookmark something yesterday and then couldn't find it again. Now I do.
Reply to: #508947 by wassamatta u
Apr 24, 2010 6:05am
Thread
Thank you, Oh Great Brown One.

This theme's Wassa moose looks just like you! All hail the GBO!

BL47
Reply to: #508836 by thunderbird
Apr 24, 2010 8:32pm
Thread
At some point, my menus changed from drop-downs at the top to a clickable list at the bottom

On the home page, but sure to click for the 'standard view.' You probably clicked to use the 'mobile view' of Atlas Quest, in which drop downs don't work (because a lot of mobile devices don't work correctly with them).

You should only use a mobile view on mobile devices.

-- Ryan
Blue Diamond
Apr 26, 2010 9:25am
Thread
Just want to understand the reason a box (series) has a blue diamond that suddenly it disappers. 'Exodus 23:20' was BD and is no longer. It has more than 50 posted finds (actual over 100)
With nothing but positve feedback I wasn't surprised when the BD appeared but a little disappointed when it went away. Perhaps the boxers didn't rate the series but I am surprised since they take the time to write such nice comments.
Thanks for any enlightenment.
Re: Blue Diamond
Reply to: #509488 by flagbearer
Apr 26, 2010 9:30am
Thread
Only the top 5% of boxes on AQ (whose planters have opted in to the Blue Diamonds) will actually have a BD. So the box that had one and now does not must have dropped out of the top 5% during the monthly calculations.

TG
Reply to: #509493 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 26, 2010 9:33am
Thread
I understand the math behind it, in theory, but I don't understand BlueDiamonds anymore. The only ones I have are for a box that has been retired for 2 years....try as we may to get others....

A of Atomic Beans
Reply to: #509495 by Atom 118
Apr 26, 2010 12:30pm
Thread
Ratings are subjective and mean little. What one person thinks is a great box is not necessarily a great box to another person. Don't sweat it.

MM
Apr 26, 2010 4:10pm
Thread
Just want to understand the reason a box (series) has a blue diamond that suddenly it disappers.

It just means it's not in the top 5% of listings. Maybe it's in the top 10%, though. (In fact, it probably is, if it was rated in the top 5% so recently. Boxes generally don't go from the top 5% to merely "average" in the calculations overnight.) Just because it doesn't have a blue diamond doesn't mean it's not a good box, though.

-- Ryan
Apr 26, 2010 8:26pm
Thread
Just want to understand the reason a box (series) has a blue diamond that suddenly it disappers.

Two reasons:

1) A new finder gave it a lower rating, which lowered its average rating.
2) A different box got more high ratings and nudged out the position of the box that used to have a blue diamond.

The blue diamond change can be due to either or both of these reasons.
Reply to: #508839 by wassamatta u
Apr 26, 2010 9:16pm
Thread
Thanks, Wassa. You're so cool.
Reply to: #509664 by 55 Steps
Apr 26, 2010 10:21pm
Thread
Two reasons:

There could be several other reasons. Maybe someone went back and changed their vote. Maybe I changed the calculations used to determine rankings. Maybe someone who voted decided they wanted their account deleted so now their previous votes aren't counting.

Trying to figure out why a rating changed is pretty much a useless exercise. *shrug* It's probably a combination of factors.

-- Ryan