A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing Help Desk

Re: My Logbook Finds - alphabetically
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #971607 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 9:09pm
Thread
Look for links to download finds, plants and attempts at the bottom of your profile page.

Cool feature!

Typo noted: When you click the 'finds' option, it saves the file as "plants". It really is the finds list, though.
Re: My Logbook Finds - alphabetically
Reply to: #971680 by BaliWho
Feb 17, 2019 10:30pm
Thread
When you click the 'finds' option, it saves the file as "plants". It really is the finds list, though.

Thanks! It's been fixed! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Message Board appearance
Reply to: #971320 by Green Tortuga
Feb 19, 2019 4:19am
Thread
I've updated it so the posts are as wide as your entire page. =)

You might have to refresh your browser to get the changes, but they'll eventually be picked up regardless.

And my browser caught up finally!

Thank you
Log Book Issues (listed and unlisted finds)
Feb 19, 2019 7:59am
Thread
I've seen the discussion about how the logbooks supposedly work.....recent unlisted finds are not showing up (although I know they're in there because my F count is accurate); but now listed finds aren't showing either. Dbare and I found two listed boxes over the last two days that are not showing in our logbooks (302624 and 302658). I can't figure out if I've got something as "preference" not checked? Anyone have any ideas?
Re: Log Book Issues (listed and unlisted finds)
Reply to: #971773 by Public Hand
Feb 19, 2019 8:08am
Thread
Looks like you have over 500 finds this year already (WOW!, really??), so the list won't show all of them. I don't know how it decides which ones to show, since they don't show up when sorting by newest. But, when I added 'pale' under the starts with sort option for your logbook, it popped up.
Reply to: #971774 by BaliWho
Feb 19, 2019 8:15am
Thread
Thank you.....I'm guessing I'm just weak in terms of understanding how the searches run.....we were blessed to be able to attend the last of the Night Owls event in Maine....what a start to the year that was......amazing carves and a ton of boxes!!
Reply to: #971775 by Public Hand
Feb 19, 2019 9:11am
Thread
Oh yea! I was there, too! I found tons, too! I guess I could have over 500 finds, too. I don’t really consider any of the hotel boxes or bucks boxes that were just laying out to be ‘traditional’ boxes though. So if they were listed that way, I manually logged them as HIPS event boxes. I’m weird, I want the online log to match what my real logbook reflects. 😜
Re: Reserving boxes
Reply to: #887751 by TheKindlyVikings
Feb 21, 2019 11:16am
Thread
Ok, I made a reserve box. Screen shot the directions for finding it again.... but can't find the screen shot :/
Reply to: #971886 by condo
Feb 21, 2019 11:39am
Thread
Go to your logbook page. In the Action box select Plants. In the Box Type box select Reserved. In the Year box select All or the year in which you made the reserved listing.
Reply to: #971888 by Dawnkey
Feb 21, 2019 2:49pm
Thread
Thank you!
Logbook-LTCs
Feb 22, 2019 3:01pm
Thread
I'm looking for my LTC plants in my logbook. When I select plants, I thought I could sort by "LTCs" but my only choice is "Name", "Owner" or "Launch". What am I doing wrong? I was sure that's how I found them in the past.

*Actually, under Action, no matter which action I choose the only list that comes up is my list of trackers.
Re: Logbook-LTCs
Reply to: #971978 by Topcollector
Feb 22, 2019 3:38pm
Thread
on your profile page, the 'chart' that shows your activity has a line for LTCs. continuing across that line are your plants, finds, etc for LTCs
Reply to: #971985 by SherlockMiles
Feb 22, 2019 4:11pm
Thread
Thanks. I never got in that way before. But in my logbook I should be able to see my events, contacts, finds, plants... I can't. I can just see trackers.

Edit--it's fixed now.
Reply to: #971978 by Topcollector
Feb 22, 2019 4:17pm
Thread
I see the problem, there is now a GO button I have to push to change the view. I missed that.
How to download find logbook
Feb 26, 2019 6:23am
Thread
How do we download a file with all our finds? I know there's a way, I just can't find the right page where that is listed. And hopefully there is a link to download our unlisted finds as well now that they have been separated out? I guess I need to start doing my own logbook on the PC.
Re: How to download find logbook
Reply to: #972173 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 26, 2019 6:28am
Thread
Go to "My Profile".
Click the link to go to your profile page, scroll to bottom of the page past the survey if you took it. There are a few different choices for down loads. You will need a spreadsheet program to read.
Reply to: #972174 by photopam
Feb 26, 2019 6:32am
Thread
Thank you! I might actually try Google Docs instead of Excel. That way I could access it from any device.
Reply to: #972176 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 26, 2019 6:37am
Thread
Happy to help. :)
Reply to: #972177 by photopam
Feb 26, 2019 1:57pm
Thread
Another question: I'm getting more traditional finds listed on the downloaded spreadsheets than what AQ is showing online. For example, the downloaded spreadsheet shows 3574 traditional AQ finds, while the online AQ logbook shows 3143 traditionals. So I have 431 too many listings on the downloaded version, and that's just the AQ finds. Looking through the listings, it does look like a few have doubled up, although it doesn't seem like there are over 400 doubles. Any ideas? I used both Excel and Google Doc and the results are identical.
Reply to: #972183 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 26, 2019 3:32pm
Thread
It seems as though the "Finds" download is also including some set of "Plants"... IF you are also a finder. In other words, if you are one of the contributors to a plant (carver, planter) that you have also technically "Found", then it won't show up on "Finds" on your logbook, but it WILL show up in the downloaded list. I'm not really sure if that is a bug or not, or just an artifact of the differences in the purposes of these lists. Also, I see that in the downloaded version, there can be MULTIPLE lines of the same box, if (as in the case listed above) there are multiple "Planters" as well.

Case in point, at least for me, was the "Everybody Do A Line" box from LBCon... https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=121150

I am one of the "Planters", because it was (literally) a whole bunch of us doing a line on a stamp. So it shows up in the download list a bunch of times for me, but does NOT show up in my "Finds" in the logbook.

Ryan is going to have spotty connectivity over the next few...day? weeks? Who knows... but I think once he is back he will be able to either confirm this as expected, or tweak it so it is more in line with what he intended.

I think, in general, most AQers have no idea just how complex a database this is... it ISN'T just one big spreadsheet-like blob... there are MANY DOZENS of individual tables (collections of similar info) that all need to be linked together, so something that SEEMS simple ("a list of my finds") actually involves pulling together data from, say, 6 or more tables. And the more stuff that needs to be linked together, the more complex the queries become, and the longer the queries take. The timing increases somewhat exponentially as an individual's logbook grows, as well. So a logbook with 10,000 entries can take FAR longer than 10x a logbook with 1,000 entries. AQ has to handle both... and not just for an individual. There are often MANY MANY queries running on AQ simultaneously, and if one query is time-consuming, it can mean EVERYONE is experiencing that lag (seemingly for "no reason").

Large-database system management and optimization is more an art than a science (well, a hefty combination of both, actually), and as one who deals with this sort of thing at work on a daily basis, I can tell you from experience, Ryan has done an AMAZING job of juggling the diverse needs of a diverse community!

Oh crap, did I just say something nice about Ryan? Hmmm.... pretend I didn't say anything, I don't want it going to his head...
Reply to: #972186 by wassamatta u
Feb 26, 2019 4:03pm
Thread
Hey, if anyone wants to start a business where we can maintain an online logbook that includes ALL of our finds, including the dates found, location, planter names, and a link to the clues, I would definitely pay an annual fee for that rather than spend a bazillion hours doing that for myself manually for over 3,000 boxes.
Feb 26, 2019 6:22pm
Thread
Oh crap, did I just say something nice about Ryan? Hmmm.... pretend I didn't say anything, I don't want it going to his head...

Just tell him someone hacked into your account. ;-)
mailbox archive option
Feb 27, 2019 1:09pm
Thread
I have tried to archive a new mailbox message and the icon is grayed out and when I hover over it, it says that it is disabled. Is anyone else having that issue?

thanks
condo
Re: mailbox archive option
Reply to: #972204 by condo
Feb 27, 2019 1:51pm
Thread
Things are working just fine for me. I have some in the Archive and I just moved some into the Archive and it worked just fine.
Feb 27, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
It seems as though the "Finds" download is also including some set of "Plants"... IF you are also a finder.

Yeah, that's a bug. Tried to fix one bug and managed to introduce another one. There shouldn't ever be multiple lines of the same box just because there are multiple planters.

The problem should be fixed now, though! Which isn't to say I haven't introduced another bug or that one of you eagle-eyed people will spot one that has (so far) been previously undiagnosed.

It's tricky stuff!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972204 by condo
Feb 27, 2019 8:18pm
Thread
I have tried to archive a new mailbox message and the icon is grayed out and when I hover over it, it says that it is disabled.

It's probably because your archive folder is full. You can only archive a maximum of 1000 messages in a folder. Premium members can create additional folders for archiving purposes, but otherwise you'll have to delete some old messages from the folder before you can save more.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972216 by Green Tortuga
Feb 28, 2019 6:19am
Thread
I'm getting random found boxes repeated.

At this point I've started to go through the list from the beginning, one by one, adding location, planter, and other info. I think I'm up to box 60. I guess I should have been maintaining my own electronic logbook from the very beginning because it's going to take forever.
Reply to: #972217 by Green Tortuga
Feb 28, 2019 5:07pm
Thread
Thank you. I was wondering the other day if it had a limit............got my answer. maybe I shouldn't have thought of the question. nodding ;j

off to delete ;j
Funny button doesn't work
Mar 1, 2019 2:41pm
Thread
Is anyone else having trouble with the funny button on the message boards? All of the other buttons work fine, but when I hit the funny button, it does nothing, and that's not funny!

TG
Re: Funny button doesn't work
Reply to: #972261 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 1, 2019 3:27pm
Thread
All of the other buttons work fine, but when I hit the funny button, it does nothing, and that's not funny!

You mean the "Slap Wassa Silly" button?
It registers as a vote, but doesn't always go bold or increase the count immediately, IF the "Funny" tag has been replaced by a different string (such as, oh, "Slap Wassa Silly").

Most people won't understand what I am saying. I'm kinda used to that.