It will give you a map

Learn something new every day!!
Re: LBNA to AQ
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969559 by photopam
Dec 20, 2018 6:34pm
Thread
Okay, question.
What if a box is listed on both sites and not linked to each other. And box owner dies. It becomes adoptable on LBNA. Someone adopts it. What of the listing of the same box on AQ? How would that work?

Sorry, I’m not trying to be snippy (nor do I have any authority here) but how is that (A) relevant to the original question and (B) not answered by the posted links and answered by Ryan himself?

Unless I’m terrible confused the situation is clear, unless you have express written consent from the original box owner you can’t list a box on AQ as yourself as the owner.

Of course, Green Tortuga might be along to correct me if I’m misunderstanding the finer points of the situation.

😄
Reply to: #969562 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 20, 2018 7:22pm
Thread
Reading the op had me wondering.
Say I had a box named Christmas and had it listed with clues on both sites separately. I died. Now my Christmas box is adoptable on LBNA. Someone adopts it. But what of the same Christmas box listing on AQ?

If you adopt my Christmas box on LBNA, you can make changes if needed like a changed landmark. But the listing on AQ would not be affected, since its not linked. My question then Is, would you also be able to adopt my Christmas box on AQ so you can also update the clue changes there? Or what happens to that listing?

So no new AQ listing of said box.

And maybe the rules for that are posted somewhere, I was just typing while I was wondering. 😊
Reply to: #969562 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 20, 2018 7:48pm
Thread
unless you have express written consent from the original box owner you can’t list a box on AQ as yourself as the owner.

I don't think consent has to be written--it could be a person's last gasp--I'll try to make it mine.
Re: Map of letterboxes
Reply to: #969558 by photopam
Dec 20, 2018 8:55pm
Thread
Thank you. So easy once one knows how.
Reply to: #969559 by photopam
Dec 20, 2018 9:52pm
Thread
What if a box is listed on both sites and not linked to each other. And box owner dies. It becomes adoptable on LBNA.

I do let people adopt boxes on AQ if the owner dies. They clearly don't mind it being on AQ if they listed it themselves, after all, and I don't want the box to become trash by leaving it abandoned, and it's clearly impossible to get permission from them after they kick the bucket.

So presumably, whoever adopts the box on LbNA would also adopt the box on AQ.

But you're describing a different scenario than the original question asked. Basically, I try to respect the wishes of the planter--even after their death.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #969569 by Green Tortuga
Dec 21, 2018 4:38am
Thread
Yeap, different senerio, but related. As i said, the OP got me thinking about it.

Another senerio is the owner didn't die, just hasn't logged on in years. Box is adopted on LBNA. What happens to listing here? I've seen a few boxes around here that are abandoned on LBNA, but I think those are linked here. But what if they weren't?

Okay, I need to stop thinking about all the senerios. :D
Reply to: #969576 by photopam
Dec 24, 2018 11:34pm
Thread
Another senerio is the owner didn't die, just hasn't logged on in years. Box is adopted on LBNA. What happens to listing here?

Nothing. LbNA doesn't make decisions about how adoptions on AQ work. If you can get the owner to agree to let you adopt the box, though, they can transfer ownership to you. If they don't agree, you can't adopt the box here.

I've seen a few boxes around here that are abandoned on LBNA, but I think those are linked here.

If the clue is hosted elsewhere and you get access to that, you can change those clues. If the clue is hosted on AQ, you won't be able to change them without the owner's permission.

-- Ryan
Possible bug.
Dec 25, 2018 10:29am
Thread
I just copied a clue from the clue page of a reserved box I had created. I then deleted the reserved box, because I wanted the date for the box to be Christmas, created a new box and cut and pasted the clues I had just copied to the new box clues. The bold items I had on the reserved box lost their boldness in the transfer. I've rebolded and it's fine now but I think losing the boldness is not what should be happening. The box is ABQ https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=301022
Re: Possible bug.
Reply to: #969663 by Wronghat
Dec 25, 2018 10:43am
Thread
I’ve notice a similar thing as well. I typed up a paragraph that I use often in communications and saved it in notes. It has a couple of bolded bits. The bolding never makes the cut and paste.

I’m guessing this is the way your browser chooses what it can cut and paste rather than a bug in the AQ system.
Dec 25, 2018 11:20am
Thread
FYI, you can change the plant date on a reserved box by using the “edit box” option. Looking forward to finding your new boxes soon!
Dec 25, 2018 12:08pm
Thread
I've rebolded and it's fine now but I think losing the boldness is not what should be happening.

It depends on what you're cutting and pasting. If you cut and paste the actual clue as it's displayed to people, the formatting you use isn't going to get saved. Doesn't matter where you cut and paste from--the formatting doesn't get saved to AQ--just the text.

If you go to the "edit clue" page and cut and paste that--the formatting is part of the text you cut (either wiki or HTML markup), and if you paste that, it'll save the formatting. Well, it's not really "saving" the formatting--it's saving the text which happens to include the necessary text about how to format the text it surrounds.

You probably copied the text without the formatting information.

But as another person already mentioned, it would have just been easier to edit the plant date! Guess it's too late for that now.... Sorry about that!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #969669 by Green Tortuga
Dec 25, 2018 12:48pm
Thread
Good to know---thanks and Merry Christmas.
Reply to: #969665 by ArnoldZiffel
Dec 25, 2018 8:37pm
Thread
Thank you.
Rolladex icon?
Jan 13, 2019 2:47am
Thread
I received AQ mail this morning, and a new (to me) icon appeared next to the person’s trailname next to the others. At first quick glance I thought it was the baby buggie (new user) which wouldn’t make sense (long time user) but as I looked closer, it looked like a rolladex (to me). I clicked on the icon to see what it was, and it promptly disappeared. I checked the icon listing, and it’s not on there. What was that?

Warrior Woman
who is not saying it was aliens, but ...
Re: Rolladex icon?
Reply to: #970254 by Warrior Woman
Jan 13, 2019 3:25am
Thread
Maybe you were Rick rolladexed.
Jan 13, 2019 4:57am
Thread
Warrior Woman
who is not saying it was aliens, but …

...not saying it wasn't.
Jan 13, 2019 6:10am
Thread
I have it too on an open message. Looks like if you click it, it saves that person to your contacts.
Reply to: #970259 by photopam
Jan 13, 2019 6:31am
Thread
Oh happy day, someone else has seen it! Thank you for the explanation!

Warrior Woman
educated
Reply to: #970259 by photopam
Jan 13, 2019 7:22am
Thread
Looks like if you click it, it saves that person to your contacts.

That is correct, but now that Warrior Woman pointed it out, I realized it's showing the wrong icon. The rolodex by itself is supposed to be a link to all of your contacts. It's supposed to have a rolodex with a "plus" sign on it that adds someone to your contacts.

So I fixed that bug. Good catch, WW! Even if you weren't looking for it! ;o)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #970255 by Don't Panic
Jan 13, 2019 10:52am
Thread
Maybe you were Rick rolladexed.

No, I think she was talking about one of those old timey address keepers. There's even a museum dedicated to them!
Why would my archive ability be down?
Jan 20, 2019 9:44am
Thread
Why would my archive ability be down? I am unable to archive my messages in AQ mail.
Re: Why would my archive ability be down?
Reply to: #970463 by J Walkers
Jan 20, 2019 10:08am
Thread
I think there is a limit to the number of messages one can archive before another folder is made to hold them. Do you see any other folders already created that you can click on? Otherwise I think you can add a folder to then store them in.
Reply to: #970465 by FORAYCH
Jan 20, 2019 10:21am
Thread
OK. I found this.
Premium Perk!
You can only save up to 1000 messages in this folder, but as a premium member you can create custom folders to save more!
I clicked on the "create custom folders" & I get:
Webpage Not Found

This is quite embarrassing, I must say, but I can't find the webpage you are looking for. Probably just misplaced it, but who knows? What should you do at this point? Well, you have a few options:

While you probably weren't looking for it, you just stumbled onto the 404: Letterbox Not Found clue at the bottom of this page. Perhaps that will lessen your disappointment in the Great Tortuga. ;o)
If you typed in a URL, check that it is typed in correctly.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Go to https://www.atlasquest.com/ and try to find links to where you want to go.
Perhaps it was just a fluke, and if you try again by clicking refresh, it'll pop right up!
If you followed a link that appears to be broken, contact the webmaster and give them a piece of your mind. (You should also tell them where the broken link is and where it's trying to link to, so it can be fixed!)
Maybe the link is delibrately broken, and it's a bad practical joke at your expense? No, that couldn't be right....

But like I said, I'm so sorry. Just call me an idiot, but I can't find that darned webpage anywhere!
So what do I need to do now?
Reply to: #970466 by J Walkers
Jan 20, 2019 10:36am
Thread
Go to your main inbox page. Along the left you'll see buttons for Write, Inbox, etc. At the bottom are a few icons. Click on the first icon in the second row, Create New Folder, and see if that works.
Reply to: #970466 by J Walkers
Jan 20, 2019 12:49pm
Thread
The URL should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out!

As others have noted, you probably filled up the folder that you were trying to store messages in, but you should be able to create more folders. You might also think about getting rid of old messages that you don't need anymore to clear out space in those folders.

-- Ryan
how do i record hitchikers
Jan 26, 2019 9:19am
Thread
so i have found three hitchhikers and dont know how to record them
Re: how do i record hitchikers
Reply to: #970681 by The Mitchells2019
Jan 26, 2019 10:19am
Thread
under Letterboxes dropdown menu
go to Record Find
fill NAME
fill in OWNER if you know it.
choose HH/cootie/flea option.

SEARCH and all HH/cooties/fleas with that name will be shown.
than do as you would for a regular box.
Re: how do i record hitchikers
Reply to: #970681 by The Mitchells2019
Jan 26, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
Here's how John Fogerty recorded his hitchhiker.

😆
Delete false finds from owned boxes?
Jan 29, 2019 9:09am
Thread
With the Beans event this weekend, an event box was shared. Unfortunately it has the same name as my traditional series, but is a completely separate set of stamps. EVERYONE has logged the traditional series! Is there a way to delete the fake logs? I care more about an accurate find history of my boxes, but them claiming 9 fake "finds" also annoys me.

Box #195404