A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: ads popping up
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #977698 by VanGo
Jul 24, 2019 9:14pm
Thread
So it looks like the Frank Lloyd Wright theme is compromised.

I've never made a FLW theme, so I looked at the themes on AQ and found that it was someone else's creation. Looks like they host their photos on PhotoBucket. I don't really know anything about how PhotoBucket works, but I'm assuming they're using a free account and all of their images get the PhotoBucket watermark.

It's not a virus or anything, though. It's just PhotoBucket wanting to get paid for hosting photos. It's what they do. *shrug*

It's also probably not the best place to use for hosting images that you don't want watermarks on.

-- Ryan
Non-working characters
Aug 24, 2019 2:56am
Thread
There are some characters in the "About Theme" text that are not displaying properly in Chrome. Is that my fault?
Re: Non-working characters
Reply to: #978730 by Kirbert
Aug 24, 2019 3:55am
Thread
It looks like all three of the browsers, that I have, show the same issue. It looks like the font is having an issue displaying one of the characters that are being used in the text for the "About Theme" page...

So it is not just you or Chrome...
Aug 24, 2019 8:09am
Thread
I am using Chromium (same core as Chrome) on Linux. The problem does not appear for me.

Either:
  1. It doesn't happen on Chromium
  2. It is fixed already
  3. You are pulling some legs
Aug 24, 2019 10:09am
Thread
"La Tomatina is a festival that is held in the Valencian town of Bu�ol, a town located 30 km inland from the Mediterranean Sea in which participants throw tomatoes and get involved in this tomato fight purely for fun. It is held on the last Wednesday of August, during the week of festivities of Bu�ol."

This is what some of it looks like to me. The word "Buol" has a ? inside a black diamond between the U an O as if one of them should have a character over the top of them.
Reply to: #978739 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 11:05am
Thread
Oh! That is what you mean. I thought you were talking about the actual "About Theme" characters.

I see the same thing then. Here it is with the text characters replaced:

==Origin==

In 1945, during a parade of gigantes y cabezudos, young men who wanted to be in the event staged a brawl in town's main square, the Plaza del Pueblo. Since there was a vegetable stand nearby, they picked up tomatoes and used them as weapons. The police had to intervene to break up the fight, and forced those responsible to pay the damages incurred.

The following year the young people repeated the fight on the same Wednesday of August, only this time they brought their own tomatoes from home. They were again dispersed by the police. After repeating this in subsequent years, the party was established. In 1950, the town allowed the tomato hurl to take place, however the next year it was again stopped. A lot of young people were imprisoned but the Buñol residents forced the authorities to let them go. The festival gained popularity with more and more participants getting involved every year. After subsequent years it was banned again with threats of serious penalties. In the year 1957, some young people planned to celebrate "the tomato's funeral", with singers, musicians, and comedies. The main attraction however, was the coffin with a big tomato inside being carried around by youth and a band playing the funeral marches. Considering this popularity of the festival, 1957 saw the festival becoming official with certain rules and restrictions. These rules have gone through a lot of modifications over the years.

Another important landmark in the history of this festival is the year 1975. From this year onwards, "Los Clavarios de San Luis Bertrón" (San Luis Bertrón is the patron of the town of Buñol) organised the whole festival and brought in tomatoes which had previously been brought by the local people. Soon after this, in 1980, the town hall took the responsibility of organizing and making the festival big.

==Description==

At around 10 AM, festivities begin with the first event of the Tomatina. It is the "palo jamón", similar to the greasy pole. The goal is to climb a greased pole with a ham on top. As this happens, the crowd works into a frenzy of singing and dancing while being showered in water from hoses. Once someone is able to drop the ham off the pole, the start signal for the tomato fight is given. Several trucks loads of tomatoes are brought to the Plaza del Pueblo. The tomatoes come from Extremadura, where they are less expensive and are grown specifically for the holidays, being of inferior taste. For the participants the use of goggles and gloves are recommended. The tomatoes must be crushed before being thrown so as to reduce the risk of injury. The estimated number of tomatoes used are around 150,000 (over 40 metric tons.) After exactly one hour, the fight ends with the firing of a second shot, announcing the end. The whole town square is colored red and rivers of tomato juice flow freely. Fire trucks hose down the streets and participants use hoses that locals provide to remove the tomato paste from their bodies. Some participants go to the pool of "los peñones" to wash. After the cleaning, the village cobblestone streets are pristine due to the acidity of the tomato disinfecting and thoroughly cleaning the surfaces.

This would seem to indicate that this page was written back when non-ASCII characters were composed differently. With modern browsers they are done with Unicode, usually UTF-8. This page needs to be updated.
Reply to: #978741 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 11:08am
Thread
Yes, that is what we are talking about... And I kind of thought one of the computer nuts (geeks) would have the answer and maybe the fix...
Reply to: #978739 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 11:14am
Thread
When I get AQ mail from one particular person her messages always show up like that with the questionmark symbol.
Reply to: #978742 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
I kind of thought one of the computer nuts (geeks) would have the answer and maybe the fix...

The geeks we need are Wassa and GT. Do we trust that they will fix it?
Reply to: #978747 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 3:21pm
Thread
The geeks we need are Wassa and GT.

We are the geeks AQ deserves, but not the geeks AQ needs right now.

Ok, maybe we are. Fixed.
Reply to: #978749 by wassamatta u
Aug 24, 2019 3:24pm
Thread
Ok, maybe we are. Fixed.

Thanks! That was quick.
Reply to: #978747 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 4:32pm
Thread
The geeks we need are Wassa and GT.

To be clear... I'm "the geek". GT is "the non-working character".
IP address changes....
Sep 19, 2019 5:52pm
Hey, everyone!

My hosting provider to changing my IP addresses, which invariably tends to cause problems. Officially, the IP address change happens at the end of the month, but the new IP addresses are available now so I have time to make the necessary changes.

So! I've been updating the IP addresses in the DNS entries. As far as I know, everything should continue to work as normal. You shouldn't see any downtime or changes. I don't think I've ever had an IP address ever change without a hitch, though, so please be patient if problems happen. I'll work through them.

I already started changing the stuff for my "minor" websites that have less risk if something bad happens like Backcountry Water and the only issue I've noticed so far is that when I try to send an email from my Gmail account to my email at backcountry-water.com, it fails. Other email providers, it works fine. It seems to be just limited to Gmail and I haven't been able to figure out why.

So... if you send AQ mail through your Gmail account, it might be an issue. I haven't changed a couple of DNS entries for this reason (yet) so it shouldn't be a problem at the moment, but at the end of the month.... maybe it will be.

Anyhow, I just wanted to give everyone a head's up about the change and that there could--theoretically--be unexpected downtime because of it. At least for the next couple of weeks (and especially around the end of the month).

-- Ryan
AQ is Up!
Sep 23, 2019 9:10pm
Thread
Atlas Quest is up again! We are all grateful for this website.
Re: AQ is Up!
Reply to: #979666 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 23, 2019 9:15pm
Thread
Atlas Quest is up again!

Well, technically, I suppose that is an announcement, and it is AQ related, but if anyone is reading this, they probably alright know that! ;o)

Yeah, I'm more than a little annoyed at the unexpected downtime.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #979667 by Green Tortuga
Sep 23, 2019 9:28pm
Thread
if anyone is reading this, they probably alright know that! ;o)

Yes, I know that. I wanted to post the other stuff though, that everyone also already knows.

I empathize with you. We all do.
Reply to: #979667 by Green Tortuga
Sep 23, 2019 9:56pm
Thread

I ran an errand for work that put me in a part of town I hadn’t been in a while, and was eager to nab a few newer boxes... but then...

The funniest part is that it came just after Choi added a post to the May thread on LbNA being down.

K
AQ Update
Sep 27, 2019 9:12pm
Thread
Tonight's downtime was actually planned by me, unlike the last couple of times this past week. I even posted ahead of time that it would be going down, and it was only down for about an hour.

One hiccup in the process that I didn't realize until the update was basically finished was that the update broke the "AQ is being updated" page--so sorry about that! It's nice to have that page so you know I'm up to something and there's nothing serious going on. Instead you were getting a blank page that could have been scary if you hadn't seen the earlier announcement. Sorry about that!

In any case.... this update was mostly cosmetic. No new features. Just a few tweaks here and there.

The biggest thing that changed are the buttons. They should look the same, but in the HTML, I changed them from "input" buttons into "button" buttons. Some of you who know HTML would likely know what I mean. I've used "input" buttons since I started AQ because "button" buttons broke with IE, but I've long stopped supporting IE and I finally updated the buttons to "button" buttons. Which are nice because I can do a lot more with them such as include images and submit values that aren't the name of the button.

The buttons should look like they did before--I haven't actually changed their look (not deliberately, at least!). It's just how they're implemented changed. But if there's a typo in the code (and I changed hundreds and hundreds of them... there are probably typos somewhere!), it might look a little wonky.

Also, you might need to do a page "refresh" to get the new CSS--so do that before submitted a "weird button" submission. I know the voting buttons on messages will look unusually large and bold until the new CSS is picked up. Not sure what else, though.

Actually, there is a small tweak to the button. If you focus on it or hover your mouse cursor over it, you'll see a "shine" pass over it. I added it for links that were styled to look like buttons a few days ago, but all of the buttons should do it now. It's kind of subtle, though, and easy to miss if you weren't paying attention. I just liked the effect. =)

And... that's it for now! =)

-- Ryan
Re: AQ Update
Reply to: #979783 by Green Tortuga
Sep 28, 2019 7:42am
Thread
HTML, IE, CSS mean nothing but gotta love shiny buttons!
Sep 28, 2019 8:06am
Thread
The buttons should look like they did before--I haven't actually changed their look (not deliberately, at least!).

The ones on the discussion boards...educational....etc....are huge.
Reply to: #979790 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 8:16am
Thread
The ones on the discussion boards...educational....etc....are huge.

Do a page refresh. It's using the old CSS.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #979792 by Green Tortuga
Sep 28, 2019 8:18am
Thread
Refreshed. Still the same. Maybe this is the way you meant them to be? Very big. In a one line post they dwarf the post.
Sep 28, 2019 9:22am
Thread
Yay to no longer having to support IE! UGH
Reply to: #979793 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 9:51am
Thread
Refreshed. Still the same.

What browser are you using?

In any case, I still think your browser is using the old CSS. It'll fix itself soon.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #979797 by Green Tortuga
Sep 28, 2019 12:53pm
Thread
What browser are you using?

The latest version of Chrome. Still the same.

And I have to refresh the page to get the numbers to change on a button.....for instance I click on agree after one other person and I have to refresh the page for me to see the #2 appear in parenthesis. Always appeared automatically before. Don't know if this intentional?
Reply to: #979808 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 1:14pm
Thread
And I have to refresh the page to get the numbers to change on a button.....

Yeah, the JavaScript has to update too. It'll start working eventually.... Your browser is still using the old CSS (and JS).

I'm not sure how to force your browser to update that, though. Usually a refresh is all it takes, but it could be that your ISP is actually caching the old files which I don't think there's really anything you can do about.

But give it time.... eventually, it will fix itself. Both the large-button problem and the numbers not changing automatically when you click on them. (At least the bolding and unbolding still works with the old files, though, so you can still know the click went through without refreshing the page.)

-- Ryan
Re: Manifesto
Reply to: #846238 by Eevil
Oct 14, 2019 11:26am
Thread
The Initiation Quiz is a dead link...
Reply to: #980276 by Phoenix Rizing
Oct 14, 2019 11:56am
Thread
The Initiation Quiz is a dead link...

That was just a private group to discuss clues. Doesn't exist anymore. So...
Reply to: #980279 by MissMoon
Oct 14, 2019 8:43pm
Thread
That was just a private group to discuss clues. Doesn't exist anymore.

That private group still exists, it’s just that the members have come to realize their efforts were futile.

Phoenix Risng, if you still wish to join: you must first solve (and find) one of my Eevil plots. (Because misery always loves company)

Mwahahaha!

Eevil
}:-{>
Moving Servers Announcement!
Oct 17, 2019 12:16am
Just a head's up, but I'll be making another attempt to move AQ to the new server in the morning when I wake up. I'll give y'all at least an hour's advance warning before I take it down, but if you need clues, get them earlier rather than later!

-- Ryan