Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #972002 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:16pm
Thread
Nevermind, I found them.

I liked the new(?)... old(?).. more new, less old(?)... whatever.. logbook of 2 days ago that was separated by year. I definitely don't like it now that it's all one page and the unlisted stuff are separated out.

All of a sudden my pages aren't refreshing automatically when I change the drop downs, either. Is that intentional or a glitch?
Latest Logbook Updates
Feb 23, 2019 2:19am
Thread
So at this point, I've kind of decided to stop listening to y'all and just do what I want to do. Seems like I'm pissing everyone off anyhow, so I may as well just do whatever I want. =)

So I've made the logbook my "own"--with the limited time I currently have available. I got rid of all the search options which I never liked, I separated the unlisted finds from the finds of unlisted boxes so the database runs fast. And cut out a lot of the information from the logbook what was beyond what I considered a "logbook" would usually have. (My real logbook typically includes the name of the box, the location, the date I found it and the ID number--but the ID number is just to make recording finds easier later.)

The logbooks had been running slow with my first iteration of this latest change, but I just needed to do a bit of optimizing. I just tested the logbooks of a few of the biggest finders of AQ and the pages are loading in about 8 seconds--about twice as fast as they originally did before I started messing with the logbooks. And because all of the finds are on a single page, people don't have to hunt through dozens of pages that each took longer to load. One slow page load is still much better than 5 even slower page loads.

Yeah, it's a lot of finds on a single page, but browsers have options to search pages. There's also the Advanced Search page that lets you search boxes in a much more targeted manner. (Except unlisted boxes.... still on my to-do list someday.)

I like the idea some people suggested that the "search" options could be premium member perks, so I'll probably add a couple of those search options back in the future. Not right now because, quite literally, I'm on my way to Jordan and I just don't have time. I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail and there won't be time for much but the simplest of updates and tweaks until I'm done.

I'm sorry to those who don't like these changes, but at this point, you'll have to learn to live with them. Premium members, in a couple of months, might see the return of a few basic search options like sorting by year or "starts with" options, but for now, I'm leaving things as is.

Happy trails! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972003 by BaliWho
Feb 23, 2019 4:43am
Thread
Where did you find them?
Re: Latest Logbook Updates
Reply to: #972012 by Green Tortuga
Feb 23, 2019 5:13am
Thread
Hope your time away is great, GT. Be safe.
Reply to: #972014 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 5:14am
Thread
The unlisted finds are under ACTION, where the labels for plants, finds, etc. are.
Feb 23, 2019 6:02am
Thread
I am very happy with this iteration! The finds are listed in the correct order and I can just scroll down to look at them all at once. Thank you for all your hard work in trying to please all of us.
Mosaic Butterfly
Feb 23, 2019 6:10am
Thread
Question. I notice that the last found option is no longer available on my plants. Is there another way to do this than looking up each of my hundreds of plants (all kinds)?
Reply to: #972021 by J Walkers
Feb 23, 2019 6:31am
Thread
You can just do an advanced search. The Search Type box in the upper right of the page will let you choose All Types, Traditionals, etc. The Sort Order box is on the left side of the page just a little further down, and you can select the order of your display results. Then further down on the page just put your trail name in the Planter box and run the search.
Feb 23, 2019 7:26am
Thread
I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail

Safe travels and those of us on W4F will be looking for this exciting new trail when you're done with it.
Reply to: #972025 by Dawnkey
Feb 23, 2019 10:09am
Thread
Thank you oh so much!

td
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 11:51am
Thread
... how long does it take for that page to load for you now?

Who cares? Having a computer take three seconds to do something useful is better than it taking .03 second to do something useless. And it's better than having to transfer all the data into a spreadsheet, which would take me a few minutes. And it's certainly better than having to do it all by hand.
Feb 23, 2019 2:23pm
Thread
Thanks, Ryan! Even though you separated the unlisted finds, I still prefer this iteration to the "new and improved" iteration. And I really like having all of the AQ-listed finds on a single page!

Have a good trip!
Feb 23, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
I can't help but think that the slow computer times are the result of Public Hand and Dbare finding so many letterboxes. The solution to slow computer times without twerking with everyone's logbook is obvious--off with their heads.
Feb 23, 2019 3:34pm
Thread
This is great.

I had been thinking when all the complaints were coming in, that in a couple months when more people start boxing in the good weather and logging finds and didn't catch the conversation, the whole thing was going to start over. It still might.
Reply to: #972049 by Wronghat
Feb 23, 2019 5:15pm
Thread
The solution to slow computer times without twerking with everyone's logbook is obvious--

I don't want anybody twerking with my logbook. I don't know why you'd want that! ;-)
Feb 25, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Thanks for all you do for all of us. You said that you were making everyone mad anyway and I think that is hyperbole because many of us didn't comment on this logbook discussion because we would be content with whatever you did!
I'm grateful for your efforts to keep this thing working! Sorry you felt unappreciated. Hope your trip goes well!
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 25, 2019 8:12pm
Thread
i don't know if this is a glitch or not but thought i would throw it out here. when i go to print a clue i use the single-column layout. only now it is not switching to single-column, stays on double. i have tried refreshing to no avail.

smile
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 26, 2019 3:42am
Thread
On my iPhone. The bottom menu bar resized to width of message texts or vice versa. Now in horizontal mode they are the same but in vertical mode I have to scroll to the right end of the menus bar to use this buttons
Ima little slow to the party...
Feb 28, 2019 5:44pm
Thread
Normally I don't weigh in on updates, change is change and all about a learning curve.
BUT this change sucks.
PLEASE bring back the Green Check Mark that indicates a shared find with another member!
Re: Ima little slow to the party...
Reply to: #972228 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 28, 2019 6:39pm
Thread
I humbly beg profusely for this as well. When I go to an event with someone, I can look at their logbook to make sure I managed to log all the finds I know we got together. This has really kept me from missing boxes in the past. Logging at events can be so tough otherwise.
Reply to: #972231 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 28, 2019 7:19pm
Thread
Of course you can get around this using advanced search. Type in a location, narrow it down to traditional boxes or event boxes or whatever you like, and then put your friend's trail name in the Finder box. You'll get a list of their finds complete with the little green check marks so you can see which ones you found and which ones you didn't.

Or you can do the same thing but also put your own trail name in the Hide Finder box. Then you'll get a list of what your friend found that you haven't logged as finds yet.
Reply to: #972231 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 28, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
While not applicable to me PiggyJaunt, you also have a valid point.

For me the WTH moment came when I was trying to figure out what boxes either of us had already done.

That green check mark is a terrific easy at a glance indicator to use when deciding what boxes to find when boxing with a buddy so that neither of us is doing a repeat.
Reply to: #972233 by Dawnkey
Feb 28, 2019 7:47pm
Thread
Not shooting the messenger but really?

There was nothing wrong with easy peasy...

Your explanation & help is appreciated.

But I still prefer easy peasy.
Mar 1, 2019 4:56am
Thread
Yes please bring back green check marks, they are so very helpful to me.
Mar 1, 2019 4:59am
Thread
Unfortunately GT is in Jordan (yes, you read correctly) and will not be back for a while. I’m sure he will comment upon his return.

BB
Mar 1, 2019 7:25am
Thread
Of course you can get around this using advanced search. Type in a location, narrow it down to traditional boxes or event boxes or whatever you like, and then put your friend's trail name in the Finder box. You'll get a list of their finds complete with the little green check marks so you can see which ones you found and which ones you didn't.

Or you can do the same thing but also put your own trail name in the Hide Finder box. Then you'll get a list of what your friend found that you haven't logged as finds yet.

And why should one have to do all that when before the update you could just LOOK??? It seems to me that doing all that instead of just looking at the info is not an update. That's going backwards, more of a downgrade.

And yes BB I know he's in Jordan.
Mar 1, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
Learned something new. Wow, that really works.
Reply to: #972241 by Bungalow Boxer
Mar 5, 2019 7:03am
Thread
I’m sure he will comment upon his return.

I wasn't really planning to. I already posted my thoughts on the subject--everyone hates whatever I change anyhow, so I'm doing what I want--an actual logbook.

Searches can be found on the search page.

Maybe I'll add some premium member "search perks" on the logbook when I finish the Jordan Trail.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972372 by Green Tortuga
Mar 5, 2019 7:16pm
Thread
[...] when I finish the Jordan Trail.

You know, after you finish the Jordan Trail you can come to Utah and hike the Jordan River Trail. You even can hike off-road all of the way from Utah Lake to Hinkley Drive in Ogden. You could do it in one day since it is fairly level, though not your typical hike.

You can even take another day and hike the trail around Ogden: Start at Cottonwood Drive by the Weber River, hike to the confluence with the Ogden River, the Bonneville Shoreline Trail to Beus Creek, and all of the way to Ogden Peak (9,579 feet or 2,920 m) and down the other side. Once in the mountains you can even camp. Again, not your typical hike, but there are many trails in our mountains.

Come to Utah, and take a hike!
HHHHMMMMM????
Apr 1, 2019 6:30am
Thread
I know the day is young yet but nothing seems wrong with my AQ pages, graphics, e-mail or anything. I wonder when the hammer will drop; or maybe tomorrow when we are least expecting it!!!!!! Only GT knows for sure and maybe W'u.................