Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971951 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 2:28pm
Thread
Can I have my "logbook" back, please!

Thanks for my logbook back. I do have to ask though can it also include the unlisted finds which would include boxes such as those listed on LBNA but not listed on Atlas Quest? Those are not included now.
Reply to: #971966 by Rocklun
Feb 22, 2019 2:28pm
Thread
What do you do with your logbook that you can do better having all of your finds listed on the same really long page?
Reply to: #971946 by Green Tortuga
Feb 22, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
That's what I kept saying, but everyone kept complaining that it wasn't searchable. So I made it a search.

At this point, I just recommend downloading your logbook and sort it however you see fit.

-- Ryan

You blinked. :(
Reply to: #971943 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 2:40pm
Thread
But didn’t it always have that list broken up into pages, and if you wanted to look at, say, a box starting with S, or one you found in 2011, you’d have to figure out which page it was on...

I didn't find that to be a big deal.
Reply to: #971946 by Green Tortuga
Feb 22, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
At this point, I just recommend downloading your logbook and sort it however you see fit.

Does this mean there will be a choice? I loved the "searchable". It takes 17 seconds for my logbook to show the original way. Maybe a new premium perk?

phynstar
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 2:51pm
Thread
Ok, all y’all with the ten million finds that want them all listed on the same page in consecutive order... how long does it take for that page to load for you now? And how long does it take to scroll down to find #3,946? or the ones that start with M???

I never asked for all the finds to be on one long page the way it seems to be now. I just wanted it back the way it was before. That was numbered pages that for me anyway loaded just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone asked for one long page. We just asked that it be returned to the way it was before the update.
Feb 22, 2019 3:32pm
Thread
half a second with control F
Reply to: #971968 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.
Reply to: #971984 by Wry Me
Feb 22, 2019 4:55pm
Thread
Don’t think I have a control F on my phone...
Reply to: #971995 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 5:06pm
Thread
Do you have a 'droid? It so, in the 3-dot menu, which I don't know the name of, you can ask it "find in page." Same-o. If not, rats.
Reply to: #971994 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 6:26pm
Thread
Where are the unlisted finds???
Reply to: #971998 by hartwolfzell
Feb 22, 2019 6:51pm
Thread
Look under the list that is called ACTION. It's listed there along with plants, finds, and so forth.
Reply to: #971999 by Angel Winks
Feb 22, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
Thank you!

For the record, I liked having all my traditional finds (listed and unlisted) in one place, but at least I know where to find them now.
Reply to: #971994 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 11:07pm
Thread
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.

Ahhhh... where?! I can't find mine.
Reply to: #972002 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:16pm
Thread
Nevermind, I found them.

I liked the new(?)... old(?).. more new, less old(?)... whatever.. logbook of 2 days ago that was separated by year. I definitely don't like it now that it's all one page and the unlisted stuff are separated out.

All of a sudden my pages aren't refreshing automatically when I change the drop downs, either. Is that intentional or a glitch?
Latest Logbook Updates
Feb 23, 2019 2:19am
Thread
So at this point, I've kind of decided to stop listening to y'all and just do what I want to do. Seems like I'm pissing everyone off anyhow, so I may as well just do whatever I want. =)

So I've made the logbook my "own"--with the limited time I currently have available. I got rid of all the search options which I never liked, I separated the unlisted finds from the finds of unlisted boxes so the database runs fast. And cut out a lot of the information from the logbook what was beyond what I considered a "logbook" would usually have. (My real logbook typically includes the name of the box, the location, the date I found it and the ID number--but the ID number is just to make recording finds easier later.)

The logbooks had been running slow with my first iteration of this latest change, but I just needed to do a bit of optimizing. I just tested the logbooks of a few of the biggest finders of AQ and the pages are loading in about 8 seconds--about twice as fast as they originally did before I started messing with the logbooks. And because all of the finds are on a single page, people don't have to hunt through dozens of pages that each took longer to load. One slow page load is still much better than 5 even slower page loads.

Yeah, it's a lot of finds on a single page, but browsers have options to search pages. There's also the Advanced Search page that lets you search boxes in a much more targeted manner. (Except unlisted boxes.... still on my to-do list someday.)

I like the idea some people suggested that the "search" options could be premium member perks, so I'll probably add a couple of those search options back in the future. Not right now because, quite literally, I'm on my way to Jordan and I just don't have time. I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail and there won't be time for much but the simplest of updates and tweaks until I'm done.

I'm sorry to those who don't like these changes, but at this point, you'll have to learn to live with them. Premium members, in a couple of months, might see the return of a few basic search options like sorting by year or "starts with" options, but for now, I'm leaving things as is.

Happy trails! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #972003 by BaliWho
Feb 23, 2019 4:43am
Thread
Where did you find them?
Re: Latest Logbook Updates
Reply to: #972012 by Green Tortuga
Feb 23, 2019 5:13am
Thread
Hope your time away is great, GT. Be safe.
Reply to: #972014 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 5:14am
Thread
The unlisted finds are under ACTION, where the labels for plants, finds, etc. are.
Feb 23, 2019 6:02am
Thread
I am very happy with this iteration! The finds are listed in the correct order and I can just scroll down to look at them all at once. Thank you for all your hard work in trying to please all of us.
Mosaic Butterfly
Feb 23, 2019 6:10am
Thread
Question. I notice that the last found option is no longer available on my plants. Is there another way to do this than looking up each of my hundreds of plants (all kinds)?
Reply to: #972021 by J Walkers
Feb 23, 2019 6:31am
Thread
You can just do an advanced search. The Search Type box in the upper right of the page will let you choose All Types, Traditionals, etc. The Sort Order box is on the left side of the page just a little further down, and you can select the order of your display results. Then further down on the page just put your trail name in the Planter box and run the search.
Feb 23, 2019 7:26am
Thread
I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail

Safe travels and those of us on W4F will be looking for this exciting new trail when you're done with it.
Reply to: #972025 by Dawnkey
Feb 23, 2019 10:09am
Thread
Thank you oh so much!

td
Feb 23, 2019 11:51am
Thread
... how long does it take for that page to load for you now?

Who cares? Having a computer take three seconds to do something useful is better than it taking .03 second to do something useless. And it's better than having to transfer all the data into a spreadsheet, which would take me a few minutes. And it's certainly better than having to do it all by hand.
Feb 23, 2019 2:23pm
Thread
Thanks, Ryan! Even though you separated the unlisted finds, I still prefer this iteration to the "new and improved" iteration. And I really like having all of the AQ-listed finds on a single page!

Have a good trip!
Feb 23, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
I can't help but think that the slow computer times are the result of Public Hand and Dbare finding so many letterboxes. The solution to slow computer times without twerking with everyone's logbook is obvious--off with their heads.
Feb 23, 2019 3:34pm
Thread
This is great.

I had been thinking when all the complaints were coming in, that in a couple months when more people start boxing in the good weather and logging finds and didn't catch the conversation, the whole thing was going to start over. It still might.
Reply to: #972049 by Wronghat
Feb 23, 2019 5:15pm
Thread
The solution to slow computer times without twerking with everyone's logbook is obvious--

I don't want anybody twerking with my logbook. I don't know why you'd want that! ;-)
Feb 25, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Thanks for all you do for all of us. You said that you were making everyone mad anyway and I think that is hyperbole because many of us didn't comment on this logbook discussion because we would be content with whatever you did!
I'm grateful for your efforts to keep this thing working! Sorry you felt unappreciated. Hope your trip goes well!