A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Help with listing an event time
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971303 by shooting starz
Feb 10, 2019 2:53pm
Thread
ha! figured it out!!!! needed to add a "number" other than 00 to "seconds" No need to reply!
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Reply to: #971293 by Kelsung
Feb 10, 2019 5:33pm
Thread
Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

That's logical.... Sometimes the replies are even funnier than the original funny message! Or you want to go back and read the thread that generated the funny message. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971307 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 11:04am
Thread
Really random: Ryan - why is your Green Tortuga signature image upside down? Just curious if that is symbolic?
Reply to: #971304 by shooting starz
Feb 11, 2019 12:25pm
Thread
What state etc. Is Your Event Scheduled for?
Reply to: #971326 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
It got stuck that way during his Australia trip.
update weirdness?
Reply to: #971249 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 4:26pm
Thread
I tried selecting a time in a new event I wanted to list and it forced me to use military time for the start time, which then reverted to a 12-hour time. The end time was on a 12-hour, if I remember correctly. Then it didn't like the time I had, so I had to choose from the "closest" time, and it made me list it for 7 minutes after the hour & half hour, respectively. Wonder if anyone noticed.

I sure hope people don't arrive early. I need that 7 minutes to make a run on the dessert cart.
Re: update weirdness?
Reply to: #971341 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 5:21pm
Thread
I don't really have much control over the time widget--I just tell the browser "get the start and end times" and leave it to the browser to do it.

But I took a look at it on my machine and I have to admit, it's actually really weird and I'm not sure why. The time was being auto set to the current time when you started created a box, but (with my browser) it seems to require that the seconds not change. If you started creating a listing at 11 seconds after the minute, it required you to use a time that was 11 seconds after the minute.

Presumably, your browser was doing the same thing--except it required a specific minute of the hour while my browser seemed to allow any minute of the hour.

But it's all really weird because there's nothing in the code that tells the browser it should restrict the times allowed at all, and I'm completely baffled why it would.

In the meantime, I did fix the problem where it was defaulting to the current time and now it defaults to the 10:00:00am start time and the 6:00:00pm end time which should help. On my browser, it just requires the seconds to be :00--but that's what most people probably want and use anyhow. If your browser is only allowing a time in half-hour increments, you can presumably change start times to something on the half hour or full hour which is probably sufficient for the vast majority of events.

I'll need to look into this more. Maybe I should just stop letting the browser ask for the time, but I do like offloading work to the browser when I can. You'd think browsers would work in an expected format!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971329 by Cross Family
Feb 14, 2019 10:55am
Thread
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 6:24am
Thread
Don’t know if it’s a feature of this update or if I just hadn’t noticed it until now... but when I try to look at my finds alphabetically, I can only see the first 500. How do I access the back half of the alphabet?
Reply to: #971543 by Sheba
Feb 16, 2019 7:32am
Thread
when I try to look at my finds alphabetically, I can only see the first 500. How do I access the back half of the alphabet?

Run a search to narrow down your search results.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971555 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 7:45am
Thread
Isn't is better to be able to just open your logbook and look at it?
Reply to: #971557 by Mim
Feb 16, 2019 8:20am
Thread
Isn't is better to be able to just open your logbook and look at it?

Your logbook is a search. Literally, the exact same code that runs a search for all of your boxes is the same code that runs your online logbook. The only difference was that in your logbook, it didn't group multiple boxes from the same series into a single listing and it didn't put a limit on the number of matching results.

To me, it sounds like you're arguing that the back side of a coin is better than the front side of the coin. Maybe you're right.... but it's still the same coin.

This update is about keeping AQ running fast. It's why I added limits to regular searches years ago, and it's why I've had to add limits to the logbook searches.

With your 13,000+ finds, your logbook would have taken over 10 seconds to load a page. Did you not notice that? Then if you wanted to switch to page 2 of the search results, it would take another 10+ seconds to load. Just to scroll through your entire logbook, one page at time, would have taken--at an absolute minimum--a whopping 1,300+ seconds. Over 20 minutes!

So no, I think a search is better if you're looking for a specific box. As it is now, you can scroll through your entire logbook, one year at a time, in a mere 3 seconds. That's what this update did--it made it possible for you to scroll through your entire finds list in your logbook in 3 seconds (if you can click that fast) rather than over 20 minutes.

If it's a specific box that you recorded recently, you can still use your logbook to look up the newest finds. If it's such an old find that you don't remember exactly what year you found it, I'd recommend the advanced search page. It still would likely be faster than scrolling through your logbook until you manged to hit upon the right page.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971561 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 5:55pm
Thread
Would it be possible to run a search alphabetically within my enormous log book, or for anyone else's ginormous log book.

Set up 0, A-Z headers within my logbook of finds & plants?
board messages
Feb 17, 2019 1:24pm
Thread
Am I the only one who is now confused on how/where to respond to board messages? I used to go to the board and respond there... now they are in my inbox and I'm responding there - but they are not going to the board... so my mail is cross-pollinating with my board posts and I'm confused...

Is there a way to get the board posts OUT of my inbox??? I don't want it there...

And why - when you go to that page aren't they listed as the latest posting backwards... I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find what I most recently wrote???

Consider me confused...
Re: board messages
Reply to: #971644 by mudflinginfools
Feb 17, 2019 1:33pm
Thread
There is a way...in preferences, maybe? I know that there is a way, but I am not sure how.

Do you happen to know if there is a way to see the boards the way that they used to be, which only the title of each post showing?
Feb 17, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
I just checked, Mud. Yes, it is is preferences, at the bottom of he page.
Feb 17, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
Is there a way to get the board posts OUT of my inbox?

You're something like the third person who's asked me that, and I'm absolutely baffled why this is so confusing because at the bottom of the AQ mail, it actually says "to stop receiving these notifications, update your message board preferences" with a link directly to the page to set the preference.

Do I need to make the text bigger? Put it at the top of the page?

I used to go to the board and respond there...

You didn't have to stop doing it that way.... =)

I thought some people would like getting replies to their AQ mail and not have to scan the message boards for replies. It's easy enough to opt-out (I thought), but maybe I shouldn't actually include the message itself. Just post that there was a reply to one of your posts with links to the reply.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971647 by RDHG
Feb 17, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
thanks - at least that's out of my inbox :)
Reply to: #971649 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
lol... some of the board messages I get are pretty long - so I just read the text written by whomever sent it... my inbox has been pretty busy lately ;)

I'm fixed now - don't know why you switched everyone over to that as the default... I would have rather opted into it than out of it... but that's just me...
Reply to: #971646 by RDHG
Feb 17, 2019 2:07pm
Thread
Do you happen to know if there is a way to see the boards the way that they used to be, which only the title of each post showing?

Click the "Simple" button. There are three views for messages: simple, summary and expanded. By default, it'll show messages in an expanded format, but you can compress them as needed by clicking the other options.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971651 by mudflinginfools
Feb 17, 2019 2:22pm
Thread
don't know why you switched everyone over to that as the default...

I figured there were probably a lot of people (especially those who don't use the message boards much) who'd like to get notifications of replies--otherwise, they might miss them completely.

Nobody would have noticed the feature if you have to opt-in. Everyone notices if that's the default--but I tried to make it super easy for people to opt out. I figured a minor, one-time inconvenience for a small number of people to opt out was better than an inconvenience for a large number of people that would prefer to use this feature (but would probably never notice the option existed otherwise).

I've gone ahead and removed the text of the message, though, so now there are only links to the board, thread and post. (And settings!)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971654 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 2:45pm
Thread
Well I just want to say that I, for one, appreciate your making the mobile experience better. I’m sure it’s a lot of work and a thankless job. You probably don’t hear from the hundreds (thousands?) of satisfied users.

So thank you.

I still disagree that it’s not a thread based board though... 😉
Feb 17, 2019 3:21pm
Thread
that's fair...

I'm still getting used to some of the other setting changes... mostly I use my PC... I primarily use my phone for... let's see... making phone calls and nothing else. I know I'm weird... but I'm old too... so change doesn't come easily :)

I'll adjust... and get used to it just in time for your next update ;)

Thanks Ryan for keeping me PC nimble... the most exercise I get most days!
Reply to: #971649 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 3:21pm
Thread
I do like getting them in my mail so I don't have to keep checking back when no one responds.
Feb 17, 2019 5:24pm
Thread
Fyi, Ryan...when I see your posts, your sig stamp pic is upside down! Not sure if it's a glitch, or if you did that on purpose to be silly....just thought I'd let you know!😁
Logbook Tweak
Feb 17, 2019 6:13pm
Thread
So I tweaked the logbook again, and those of you who want to search for specific boxes but can't remember the names.... I added a search option to filter results based on the start of the box name.

But... there are compromises which you may or may not like. My goal is to keep the queries running fast, after all. You nudge something in one place, and it pokes out in other places.

To keep the queries running fast, AQ no longer pre-sorts the results before limiting them, so if you have 1000 finds (for instance) and sort them alphabetically, they don't stop at the M's (or whatever is halfway through your list). It more-or-less randomly displays any 500 boxes of the total number of matches like the regular search does. You'll have to narrow down your results if you're looking for a specific box.

I also renamed the "500 limit" to "all" years since that appeared to cause some confusion. There's still a limit, though. That hasn't changed.

And I added limits to all possible search results. It might be your logbook, but it acts more like a search now. Because, based on the feedback I got, people seem to prefer using it as another search option rather than an actual logbook. So I went ahead and changed the code to be more.... search-friendly.

So in a nutshell, it works more like a regular search. Which, for those of you who wanted your logbook to be searchable--will probably like. For those of you who prefer your logbook being a logbook.... you probably won't. And I'm sorry for that.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971664 by Gypsy Fiddler
Feb 17, 2019 6:14pm
Thread
when I see your posts, your sig stamp pic is upside down! Not sure if it's a glitch

Yeah, that probably happened because you installed your monitor upside-down. If you turn it right-side-up, it should fix the problem. ;o)

-- Ryan
Re: Logbook Tweak
Reply to: #971666 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 6:24pm
Thread
I was very happy with things the way they were. Being fast is not always being best. Just my humble opinion.
Reply to: #971668 by Acorns4u
Feb 17, 2019 6:30pm
Thread
Being fast is not always being best.

You say that now, but if AQ took 10 seconds to load every page, you'd probably find it very annoying. It wasn't that bad--but I'm not going to wait until it's so bad that people complain before doing something about it either.

I'm not trying to make queries that take 1/10th of a second run in 1/100th of a second that nobody would even notice. I'm fixing the queries that take several seconds to run. And in the worst case, these tended to range from about 10 to 13 seconds. That's not acceptable. Any query that takes more than about 1 second to run gets a hard look by me, but 10+ seconds? It had to go.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971669 by Green Tortuga
Feb 17, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
My problem is that there is still no way to see the entire list of finds in the logbook or search. I tried the advanced search but it only shows 2500, and I'm assuming those are random. I think that the biggest complaint was that we couldn't sort (not search) and see our whole list of finds anymore, but I might be wrong. We can sort by newest, oldest, owner ... but if you can't see the whole list, and you're getting random results, then what is the point of sorting? I'm really not trying to be difficult and do appreciate you trying to please all of us.

Example: In my logbook, LTCs, I set it to search all by newest first. The first LTCs it shows are from 2017, so I miss 2018 and 2019 completely.