A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Why am I seeing ads?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #859212 by Raven
Jul 20, 2014 12:33pm
Thread
I was trying to read this page and after almost every paragraph there is an ad strip. Must be my browser?

The tutorials have Google Ads on them, but you shouldn't be seeing them after "almost every paragraph." There's only a maximum of 3 ad blocks per page. There should be one just after the summary on the page, somewhere in the middle of the page, and another one at the end of the page.

The tutorials have always had them, though. That's nothing new.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #859240 by Raven
Jul 20, 2014 12:43pm
Thread
Shows how often I go over there!

I kind of suspect the vast majority of people who read that page find it through a Google search. Since they aren't letterboxers and unlikely to ever become premium members, I figured I'd put ads on them. They can pay for using the site through that method. =)

And I figure it's not too onerous for AQ members because while most people will look at the tutorial at some point, it's not usually the kind of thing they go back to over and over again making it annoying.

And thus, the reason for the ads there... But they've literally been there since a couple of months after I started Atlas Quest!

-- Ryan
Re: Theme
Reply to: #859219 by Kelsung
Jul 20, 2014 3:24pm
Thread
Anyone else heard Weird Al's new song "Foil"?

I prefer to boldly listen to "Word Crimes". That is the best of this album 2 speak of. I can C ded pronouns. Its a crime 2 ! no how 2 speel. ;-)
AQ Statistics
Jul 21, 2014 3:01pm
Thread
A question regarding AQ statistics.

According to the stats page Arizona has 842 boxes.
And according to this page, that number should be the number of active boxes.

Yet a simple search of Arizona (including P/F/A) gives only 628.
Including "abandoned" and "strikeouts" I can get the number to 720.

Does this imply that there are (potentially) 122 boxes with either "bonus box" status or restrictions that I don't meet?
This number seems a bit high for that...

Or is there some additional filter that I missed?
Re: AQ Statistics
Reply to: #859397 by Squatchis
Jul 21, 2014 3:27pm
Thread
Does this imply that there are (potentially) 122 boxes with either "bonus box" status or restrictions that I don't meet?

Bonus boxes don't have locations so they won't be included in the counts, but about 15% of boxes have some sort of restriction on them. You have enough plants and finds that you should be able to see the vast majority of restricted boxes.

You'll get a few more boxes if you uncheck the box for showing only "clued" boxes--there are a few in Arizona with no listed clues that your search probably isn't catching.

But the biggest reason for the discrepancy in your numbers are series. When you run a letterbox search, it lists the series--not individual boxes. Granted, most "series" are a series of 1 so the terms are largely interchangeable, but when you get a series like Desert Drive with 5 boxes in it, it's only listed once in the search results but is still being counted as 5 boxes.

The only way to do your own letterbox count for boxes in Arizona is to go through every page of your search results and add all of the series with 2 or more boxes that you weren't counting. (In the case of Desert Drive, for instance, since there are 5 boxes in the series and you only counted it as 1, you'd need to add 4 to your running total.)

Or just let AQ do the counting for you and don't worry about it. =)

-- Ryan
Re: AQ Statistics
Reply to: #859398 by Green Tortuga
Jul 21, 2014 3:35pm
Thread
and some old boxer named AZ Roadie has done many a series
Reply to: #859238 by Green Tortuga
Jul 22, 2014 5:57am
Thread
I only see one small ad. Unobtrusive, and no photos or things that flash to distract.
Astonishing
Jul 22, 2014 5:49pm
Thread
An amazing phenomenon appears to have occurred: July 22 is the day of birth for many men of import from all walks of life, but no women of consequence seem to be able to claim the day.

This realization was so astounding that I felt a need to do further research. And yes, it took some digging through Google search results - but guess what? I actually found a few. good. women.

Here for your enjoyment are some members of the distaff family who have distinguished themselves and who were born today.

Selena Gomez, singer, 22; Kristine Lilly, U.S. Women's National Soccer team forward, 43; Emily Saliers, singer, song-writer, Indigo Girls, 51; S. E. Hinton, YA author, The Outsiders, 65; Kay Bailey Hutchison, former U.S. Senator, Texas, 71; Louise Fletcher, actor, 80.
Re: Astonishing
Reply to: #859590 by Girlguides
Jul 22, 2014 7:12pm
Thread
You forgot MI Girl of SITE Sleuths.
Re: Astonishing
Reply to: #859621 by Dawnkey
Jul 22, 2014 7:25pm
Thread
Good catch. It’s also her parent’s anniversary. Party time!
Language characters?
Jul 23, 2014 7:18pm
Thread
Are Japanese characters (hiragana, katakana, and kanji) built into AQ now? They were not available four or five years ago when a specific box of mine was planted.

I just got an attempt on that box, and I think the frequently asked question will be less frequent if the word is changed from the romaji into kanji or hiragana. Well, unless a new question will arise with the change.
Re: Language characters?
Reply to: #859778 by koalacat
Jul 24, 2014 8:41am
Thread
I'm pretty sure that would be a browser issue, not AQ specific. You might be able to put in the unicodes for those symbols, but not everyone would be able to read them:

イフ・ユー・キャン・リード・ジス・ヨー・ブラウザー・スポーツ・カータカーナー

It would probably be better to create them and save them as image files like this clue:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=230555

K
Reply to: #859778 by koalacat
Jul 24, 2014 9:10am
Thread
It was easy for me to get the English translated words from romaji using Google Search.

I just type in inu japanese meaning (for "inu") and got some good results. Of course, this probably wouldn't work for a lot of proper nouns, but for common words, it seems to work well. I looked at your Neko box clues.

And of course, there are those folks who ask questions about clues, even when it is written 100% in English!
Reply to: #859850 by JampersandJ
Jul 24, 2014 10:26am
Thread
Neko box clue

Actually, that is not the box with the questions. It is an older box that is mostly in English.
Reply to: #859845 by Kelsung
Jul 24, 2014 10:33am
Thread
I always make sure my browser supports it. However, posting the clues for the box four or five years ago, a bunch of random ascii characters appeared. Recently, something stood out that made me wonder if Japanese characters worked now. I probably will put it in there with the romaji in parenthesis. There is only one word in Japanese for the entire clue.
Re: Language characters? - nope
Reply to: #859867 by koalacat
Jul 24, 2014 10:43am
Thread
Kanji still isn't working in the clue. =/ Oh well.
Reply to: #859869 by koalacat
Jul 24, 2014 12:58pm
Thread
I always make sure my browser supports it.

Just because YOUR browser supports it does not mean that everyone else's will. Your potential audience may be using IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, with Windows 8, 7, Vista, ME, XP, or any number of feline Mac OS.

It's a safer bet to write in the plainest text and only use .GIFs or .JPGs to be as universal (in North America) as possible.

لا يستطيع الجميع قراءة هذا

ոչ ոք չի կարող կարդալ այս

हर कोई इस पढ़ सकते हैं

ĉu vi iam vidis William Shatner en la filmo Incubus?

K
Reply to: #859889 by Kelsung
Jul 24, 2014 2:38pm
Thread
Just because YOUR browser supports it

I know, and that is why I was ALSO going to leave it in romaji for those with browser issues. =)

I probably will put it in there with the romaji in parenthesis.

See. =)

However, it is in only in romaji right now because the clue does not support kanji. If there were many words, like my Neko clue, I would be inclined to make a file. So far, nobody has inquired about what was meant for the words on that particular box.

As for the bottom two of the short list: Woohoo! Illiteracy has been eliminated!
I heard that he did a film in that language on Tech TV, but forgot the name of the film. So, no.
old boxes
Jul 25, 2014 12:46pm
Thread
Getting back into the swing of things and I just noticed some of the boxes that I saw and was interested in a number of years ago no longer seem to be listed. I checked a little further and found one of the boxes by looking at the members plant list. It is listed as retired not found in four years but that might be because the carver has left the hobby and may have retired all her carves. Is there a way in the site to look up old boxes similar to lbna's basement or are these boxes gone forever. Another box I remember specifically was at an old school drive in Ice cream/burger place between Geneva New York and Waterloo. I love old boxes and would like to investigate some of these older boxes. Thanks.

ZH
Re: old boxes
Reply to: #860080 by Zen Hunter
Jul 25, 2014 1:30pm
Thread
As long as they're still listed on AQ, you can look at the listings. Your search settings may be preventing you from seeing retired boxes--make sure you have "retired" checked as an option (under advanced search.) You may also want to tweak your settings under your account preferences to show boxes with older last finds. Good luck!
Jul 25, 2014 1:42pm
Thread
If you plan on dumpster diving through long forgotten clues for that rare buried gem, go to this page and change all those numbers to 99:

http://www.atlasquest.com/mypage/prefs/boxes.html

Good luck! Be prepared for a lot of wasted time and frustration, but the feeling from just that one rediscovered lost box is so worth it.

K
Jul 25, 2014 1:45pm
Thread
I personally list the boxes that I have planted as retired (I pulled the boxes and they are no longer there) or as unavailable ( I have looked and the box is gone). Either way one would be wasting their time if they look for them. Boxes that are still listed as available probably are still there even if the last found date is several years ago. In my area some letterboxers never record their finds on either atlasquest or LBNA. I only know they have been there when I go check the box and see the logbook.
Awry Widget Weirdness
Jul 27, 2014 1:07pm
Thread
Normally I like things awry. The countdown widget is malfunctioning on my My Page. I added an event w/ a link. I failed to hyperlink it correctly, but it scrolled outside the frame and I couldn't get it to fix it. It also removed the edit button! So I tried again. Hyperlink, but still leaking outside the frame (i'm positive that is proper coding secret language. heh.) and no edit button. hmmmmm. Was it something I said. It usually is.
Re: Awry Widget Weirdness
Reply to: #860404 by Wry Me
Jul 27, 2014 2:28pm
Thread
I have had this problem before. It has been a while but I think I deleted the entire widget and added it again. It can be a big pain if you have a lot of stuff but is all I could think of at the time.
Reply to: #860416 by christmas6
Jul 27, 2014 4:27pm
Thread
Pffffft. Gggrrrr. Thanks.
Reply to: #860404 by Wry Me
Jul 27, 2014 4:55pm
Thread
Temporarily change your page to be one column so that the entire widget shows up.
Reply to: #860435 by Aiphid
Jul 27, 2014 5:43pm
Thread
Brilliant. Thanks.
Tick Statistics?
Jul 31, 2014 7:13am
Thread
Under the AQ Statisitcs, I see counts for Ticks Found, Mosquito Bites, etc. But I can't find any way for me to add my numbers to those totals. Is that a privilege enjoyed by Premium Members only?
Re: Tick Statistics?
Reply to: #861104 by Team JSABAIL
Jul 31, 2014 7:27am
Thread
Yes. Greatly enjoyed. It's probably the thing they like best. :)
Re: Tick Statistics?
Reply to: #861104 by Team JSABAIL
Jul 31, 2014 8:25am
Thread
Pssst....those are made up. SHHHH! Don't tell ANYONE!!

TG