A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Problem Changing Clue Colors
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856679 by Dawnkey
Jul 7, 2014 11:57am
Thread
When I click on the colors nothing happens. I also tried to change an older box and nothing happens.
Reply to: #856693 by christmas6
Jul 7, 2014 2:46pm
Thread
The problem must be my computer because it works on my tablet. Thanks.
Reply to: #856717 by christmas6
Jul 7, 2014 10:58pm
Thread
The problem must be my computer because it works on my tablet.

What browser and operating system are you using?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #856787 by Green Tortuga
Jul 8, 2014 8:17am
Thread
What browser and operating system are you using?

Chrome & XP
Reply to: #856827 by christmas6
Jul 8, 2014 9:12am
Thread
Chrome & XP

I can't run any tests with Windows XP, but the color changes work fine on my Chrome browser which runs on Windows 7. I'm not sure what to tell you... as far as I know, it's working like it's supposed to and I haven't made any changes to that feature in years. I'd guess that it's a problem specific to your computer, but I'd have a hard time pointing out where to start looking because I just don't know.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #856833 by Green Tortuga
Jul 8, 2014 9:58am
Thread
new theme...
Jul 10, 2014 6:07pm
Thread
YAY!! NANCY DREW!
I LOVE THE NEW THEME!!!
Re: new theme...
Reply to: #857195 by MBPhenomenon
Jul 10, 2014 6:16pm
Thread
I remember reading them (Nancy Drew) as a youth....the original ones that is.
Comments in order of date posted instead of found
Jul 13, 2014 4:19am
Thread
Perhaps this is not new, but I've just noticed that the comments on my boxes are displaying as of the date the comment was posted instead of the date the box was found. This makes sense in a way, except that since it takes an extra click to see finds (and then you don't get the comments), this is the first/fastest way to see if a box might be missing before going after it. Having the comments sorted by post date can put them "out of order" if someone doesn't log their finds the same day. Especially bad if they log it 6 months later and post that something was wrong with the box.

Could it please be changed back to sort by the Find Date? Otherwise, it looks like some of my stuff is not maintained or available. (I noticed it on my By The Butterflies 2 when I went in to post a maintenance item that I had replaced the logbook and someone had a comment after my date saying that it needed a new logbook!)

Thanks and Happy Anniversary!
Re: Comments in order of date posted instead of found
Reply to: #857707 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 5:15am
Thread
Could it please be changed back to sort by the Find Date?

It's never been sorted by the find date--mostly because comments aren't connected to finds in the database at all. People can leave comments on attempts as well, or they can leave comments even if they don't record a find or attempt at all. They can also leave multiple comments--for instance, if someone checks up on a letterbox that they've found in the past, it wouldn't be a new find but the might want to leave a comment about a problem with the box.

So the reason the comments aren't sorted by the find date is simply because in the database, there's absolutely no connection between finds and comments. On the interface, AQ let's you do all sorts of stuff at once--vote for a box, leave a comment, write the owner of the box, etc. But it's just handy to put them all on the same page since people usually do them both at the same time, but I could have just as well created a "leave comment" button that people have to use that's completely separated from the "record find" stuff.

I noticed it on my By The Butterflies 2 when I went in to post a maintenance item that I had replaced the logbook and someone had a comment after my date saying that it needed a new logbook!

You can always record a new comment on top of that. But it doesn't really hurt anything either if someone brings an extra logbook that isn't needed. *shrug*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #857718 by Green Tortuga
Jul 13, 2014 8:50am
Thread
OK, well that makes sense, but can cause a box to look like an attempt is the most recent activity when it really isn't.

it doesn't really hurt anything either if someone brings an extra logbook

In that example, no, it's not a big deal at all. It's when someone writes "we couldn't find it, is it still active?" and then a week later someone else finds it, but the attempt comment is on top.

How about displaying the comment date (just like the find date) so that the user can change it if they want their comment to be the find date? I know, they probably won't notice it if they don't log their find right away either, so it's probably not worth it.

I can also just delete the comment. Much easier for you; I just thought I'd throw this idea out there in case anyone else finds value in it. :-)
Reply to: #857707 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 11:23am
Thread
It bothers me a bit about that, too. I try to make it a point and write in my comment (regardless if I found something that very day or a different day) what my find date was. I don't know if it helps anyone out, but it seems logical to me.
Reply to: #857756 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 1:38pm
Thread
Assumptions are always bad. Looking at the find dates is where you look to know when a box was found. Looking at the dates on comments and assuming those are find dates is a mistakes in the first place.

If a comment mentions needed maintenance that has already been performed, simply delete it. That's all part of maintaining your listings. And with mystery boxes, I sometimes deliberately log them much later and want that comment to not seem connected. And I leave comments with clue updates on abandoned boxes I check up on years after I initially found them. There are lots of reasons finds and comments should have no connection.

K