A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: AQ Site Language Options.
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #825428 by lig
Jan 15, 2014 10:21am
Thread
I, when explaining it, use "cajitas escondidas" and then explain what they will usually contain.

Cartacajitas? Just kidding... I just love the way "cartacajas" sounds on my tongue. =)

Its seems like the site is set up do deal with Internationally placed boxes, but then limits potential searchers to English speakers.

To be fair.... most internationally placed letterboxes are planted by English-speaking tourists. =)

how hard/ much work do you think it would be to come up with a functional skeleton of a site like that?

With help translating some stuff, I could probably get something simple up in less than a month. (Very simple!) No message boards, no AQ mail, etc.

But I don't think I'd really be a good person to do this. If someone has problems or reports an error, I'd have a huge communication barrier to work through. Maybe after I learn Spanish fluently.... That's always been a dream of mine--to learn another language fluently. =) I'm definitely not fluent in Spanish, but it is the foreign language that I'm so familiar with! Someday it could happen....

But I am kind of intrigued to create a "basic, simple" template letterboxing website for international locations that could be uploaded after certain pages are translated. Create one for Spanish, French, German, and whatever else anyone wants to volunteer to translate. =)

Let me think about it some more. But.... even if I do do something like this, it'll likely be several months before anything happens. Maybe by the end of the year kind of thing....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825470 by Green Tortuga
Jan 15, 2014 10:41am
Thread
But I am kind of intrigued to create a "basic, simple" template letterboxing website for international locations that could be uploaded after certain pages are translated. Create one for Spanish, French, German, and whatever else anyone wants to volunteer to translate. =)

Lots of different interfaces sharing the same database. Maybe even one of those pages that detects the country you are connecting from and defaults to that language, with an option to change to English.
Jan 15, 2014 10:56am
Thread
But I don't think I'd really be a good person to do this.

Does the Moose speak Spanish?
Reply to: #825482 by Kirbert
Jan 15, 2014 11:06am
Thread
Does the Moose speak Spanish?

Tengo una papa suerte.
Reply to: #825487 by wassamatta u
Jan 15, 2014 11:16am
Thread
Well, now we know what the name of the Spanish-language site will be: Wassa Quest.
Reply to: #825492 by Kirbert
Jan 15, 2014 12:57pm
Thread
the name of the Spanish-language site will be: Wassa Quest.

Gotta make that spanish... so it would be "Wassa Queso"
Jan 15, 2014 1:44pm
Thread
Are you trying to say "I have a lucky potato?"

Leviathan
Reply to: #825509 by wassamatta u
Jan 15, 2014 2:04pm
Thread
"Wassa Queso"

Wassa Cheese??
Reply to: #825520 by Leviathan
Jan 15, 2014 2:51pm
Thread
Are you trying to say "I have a lucky potato?"

Ummmm... Yesh li tapu'ach adamah bar mazel?
Jan 15, 2014 5:12pm
Thread
Yesh li tapo'ach adamah bar mazel!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Jan 15, 2014 5:31pm
Thread
even if I do do

Ryan, TMI!!
Re: Suddenly, my AQ settings are for the Blind
Reply to: #825278 by tiggermama
Jan 15, 2014 6:11pm
Thread
My pages have been weird too, for the past few days. It's almost as if the columns have changed. All the settings are set to "normal" and my browser is at 100%, like it always is. I thought that maybe something was going on over at AQ and it would just resolve itself, but it hasn't yet.

Jaxx
Reply to: #825561 by Fluffy Cow
Jan 15, 2014 7:39pm
Thread
Yesh li tapo'ach adamah bar mazel!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Somehow, almost magically, I knew you would chime in...
Reply to: #825586 by wassamatta u
Jan 15, 2014 7:44pm
Thread
magically?

HA!
*snort*
The look on AQ
Jan 15, 2014 8:53pm
Thread
Is it me or is anyone else's AQ pages look broken. All the tools for edit, refresh, minimize and close are going down the page instead of across. When looking for lb's, the result page is the same way. I tried adjusting the page via preferences and view on my tool bar, but nothing changes. Any suggestions or is Ryan doing some changing again.

Purplerose and Froggyking
Re: The look on AQ
Reply to: #825594 by purplerose froggyking
Jan 15, 2014 10:52pm
Thread
Is it me or is anyone else's AQ pages look broken.

What browser are you using? Everything looks fine to me....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825323 by Kelsung
Jan 16, 2014 6:35am
Thread
a different site specifically in Spanish might be easier

I know that geocaching.com is available in different languages. There is a setting in the browser for preferred language. This could certainly be used to customize this website. An option could even be added to letterbox (or buzón) listings for language. That way someone could search for boxes with clues in their chosen language, which would default to the preferred language set in the browser.

Why have two sites when the boxes can be found by anyone who understands the clues, some of which are difficult enough to understand anyway.
Reply to: #825598 by Green Tortuga
Jan 16, 2014 7:36am
Thread
Is it me or is anyone else's AQ pages look broken.
What browser are you using? Everything looks fine to me....

I'm having the same issue. Some of the icons look squished. I am using IE8

Jaxx
Reply to: #825598 by Green Tortuga
Jan 16, 2014 7:39am
Thread
IE
Reply to: #825618 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 16, 2014 8:51am
Thread
I know that geocaching.com is available in different languages.... Why have two sites when the boxes can be found by anyone who understands the clues

There's more to a letterboxing website than just clues. The geocaching site might have other language options, but if you change to a Spanish site, a lot of the links lead to English resources--which doesn't do much good for someone who doesn't know English. At best, it's a half-hearted attempt at supporting other languages.

And when a Spanish-speaking person has a question or problem, who are they going to contact at the geocaching site that can help them? I still think if I were living in Spain and only spoke Spanish that I'd want a genuine Spanish letterboxing site--not an English site pretending to be Spanish. The English one is for tourists. The Spanish one is for locals. =)

If I was Spanish and wanted to get letterboxing started in Spain, I know I'd be thinking about building a Spanish-language site!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825652 by Green Tortuga
Jan 16, 2014 9:25am
Thread
Please do not make me have to press 1 for English on AQ.
Reply to: #825636 by Jaxx
Jan 16, 2014 9:29am
Thread
I'm having the same issue. Some of the icons look squished. I am using IE8

Well there's your problem right there! Internet Explorer sucks. =)

Just kidding... Well, it does suck. I don't have IE8 installed, but I changed the code on my development machine so my version of IE will "simulate" an IE8 experience and I'm still not seeing problems. AQ looks absolutely awful in IE8, but nothing like what you describe. The only thing that makes the IE8 look so awful is that there aren't any rounded corners, but that's just a cosmetic thing and not something I can really do about.

One thing you can try if you haven't already, force a refresh of your browser. I have been updating some CSS pages, and there's a possibility your browser could be using an old version of it. Try clicking "Ctrl-F5" to make sure you're using the newest stuff.

If that doesn't work.... I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll try dropping by the library today and using one of their computers--maybe they have an old computer with IE8 installed that I can try looking at. But IE8 is a pretty old, antiquated browser at this point. It's definitely time to upgrade to something better! You might not be able to upgrade to a newer version of IE depending on the operating system you're using, but I'd seriously consider switching to Firefox or Chrome or something if upgrading IE isn't an option. They really are a huge improvement over IE8. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825594 by purplerose froggyking
Jan 16, 2014 3:50pm
Thread
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I've had that problem for 2 days--only at work on Internet Explorer.
Reply to: #825722 by Topcollector
Jan 16, 2014 6:04pm
Thread
Yeah, I noticed it today at work. IE again.
Reply to: #825658 by Green Tortuga
Jan 16, 2014 6:42pm
Thread
This started happening when you last upgraded the Hall of Fame. Could that be the problem?
Reply to: #825750 by purplerose froggyking
Jan 17, 2014 12:17am
Thread
This started happening when you last upgraded the Hall of Fame. Could that be the problem?

I'm not really sure how. Most of the changes I made for that was CSS code specific to just those pages--not stuff that would change styles on all pages. Those were really localized changes. That was part of the reason I focused on those pages first (that and the glossary)--the necessary CSS changes were very localized. There are some other changes I'd like to make, but they would affect all pages so I'm not working on those at the moment.

I haven't been able to find an IE8 browser anywhere to run some tests on either, so I'm not having much luck with figuring out the problem either. But AQ is so darned ugly and horrible in IE8, I'm not even sure it's worth the time and effort to track down given the dwindling numbers of people who use it. I'd really recommend using IE9 or higher--or some other browser altogether. The difference between IE8 and IE9 is substantial!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825778 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2014 2:59am
Thread
in IE8, I'm not even sure it's worth the time and effort to track down given the dwindling numbers of people who use it. I'd really recommend using IE9 or higher--or some other browser altogether

If you have XP, IE8 is the last version they made for it so you do not have an option to upgrade to 9 or 10. And there are still a _LOT_ of people who are and will continue using XP. So not as dwindling as you hope in the short term.
Reply to: #825780 by Eidolon
Jan 17, 2014 4:18am
Thread
If you have XP, IE8 is the last version they made for it so you do not have an option to upgrade to 9 or 10.

Yes, but Microsoft has said that they will no longer support XP after April.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

That means every computer running XP should be upgrading to a newer OS in the next few months. (I think I have 4 computers that need to be retired or upgraded.)
Reply to: #825782 by MichKathy
Jan 17, 2014 5:24am
Thread
Microsoft has said that they will no longer support XP after April.

Just because they don't support it doesn't mean it is going away. That just means they will no longer be releasing updates and/or patches.

It is no different than Office 2003 and Server 2003, which will be retired at the same time as Windows XP; they still work just fine and people will continue to use them.

That means every computer running XP should be upgrading to a newer OS in the next few months.

Oh I agree with "should" but even Microsoft has been realistic about such things. There is a reason the retirement date for XP has already been changed more than once; probably something to do with the still 15%+ market share according to a recent report I saw.
Reply to: #825780 by Eidolon
Jan 17, 2014 9:40am
Thread
If you have XP, IE8 is the last version they made for it so you do not have an option to upgrade to 9 or 10. And there are still a _LOT_ of people who are and will continue using XP. So not as dwindling as you hope in the short term.

It's definitely dwindling as people replace computers. They don't last forever, you know. =) Microsoft might still be "supporting" these older systems (for now), but I'm pretty sure they aren't selling them anymore!

I know there are some people who can't upgrade the browser (and, in fact, I'd be willing to bet most of the people using IE8 are probably in that group), but those are pretty old systems by today's standards, and they're the systems people are most likely to replace in the next couple of years.

But.... Even for those that don't replace them soon.... those system will still run Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and every other browser out there. And at this point, there's no comparison between IE8 and the latest version of the other browsers, so there are viable alternatives.

This month, the percentage of people using IE8 on AQ is down to 6.8%, and that number is just getting smaller with each passing day. I'd like to keep supporting it and even set up my development system so my version of IE will simulate how IE8 runs (gives me an idea of what IE8 folks are seeing), but whatever this problem is, it's not something I can replicate.

-- Ryan