A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Am I Drunk?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #814350 by Green Tortuga
Nov 5, 2013 8:34pm
Thread
I doubt I was editing for more than 30 minutes. More like 20 minutes.
Reply to: #814352 by BBStacker
Nov 5, 2013 9:52pm
Thread
The session ID is stored as a cookie. Would you have done anything that might have deleted the cookies in the browser?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #814360 by Green Tortuga
Nov 5, 2013 10:07pm
Thread
not that I know of. I was only on my email, fb, and AQ this evening.
Reply to: #814328 by BBStacker
Nov 5, 2013 10:31pm
Thread
Tonight I tried to update the clue on my last reserved box and when I clicked "save" I was taken to the AQ Login screen. Naturally all my work was again lost.

This type of thing is why I (most of the time) when I've been editing for a while, I copy the text to a text editor. Then when I lose it I can just paste it back in. If I know I'm going to be taking a while I just write it in a text editor in the first place.
Reply to: #814364 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 6, 2013 3:47am
Thread
I copy the text to a text editor.

I agree. Most times that I have a long clue I'll use Word to edit and than finally paste to AQ. Didn't do that this time.

Then when I lose it

Does this mean you experience or have experienced the same sort of problems?
Reply to: #814372 by BBStacker
Nov 6, 2013 6:21am
Thread
Does this mean you experience or have experienced the same sort of problems?

I have experienced this on several web sites, including this one. The longer I worked on it the more likely it is to happen. Save your work.

Which reminds me, have you backed up your computer lately? There are free ways to do so. I've got one.
Reply to: #814328 by BBStacker
Nov 6, 2013 7:26am
Thread
I got the clue completed this morning but I just did tiny portions of the update at a time and saved. I had no problems at all doing it this way. Box is listed and I'm happy. Maybe it was the wine?
Reply to: #814379 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 6, 2013 3:37pm
Thread
have you backed up your computer lately? There are free ways to do so. I've got one.

More information please!!
Reply to: #814445 by Elle
Nov 6, 2013 7:50pm
Thread
have you backed up your computer lately? There are free ways to do so. I've got one.

More information please!!

I use Ubuntu Linux so I use Déjà Dup Backup Tool. I have it set to do incremental backups (backs up changes) every day. It also does a full backup every two weeks.

Since most of you use MS Windows, I looked up Five Best Windows Backup Tools. Kim Komando also has some good recommendations, like this one.

And here are some programs for Macintosh users.
Reply to: #814485 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 7, 2013 1:58am
Thread
Since most of you use MS Windows, I looked up Five Best Windows Backup Tools. Kim Komando also has some good recommendations, like this one.

Thanks!
This day in history - Birthdays
Nov 7, 2013 10:12am
Thread
Jeremy London's twin brother, Jason, is an actor, too. Twenty years ago, he was in Dazed and Confused, as well as in the Aerosmith music video, Amazing. According to the IMDb, he is still working a lot. I forgot that he was in an episode of NCIS three years ago.
Re: This day in history - Birthdays
Reply to: #814552 by koalacat
Nov 7, 2013 10:58am
Thread
Joni Mitchell is 70!! and still awesome. As close to an idol as I have...
Reply to: #814555 by artTrekker
Nov 7, 2013 11:04am
Thread
Never been a Joni Mitchell fan myself. Just the other night on The Voice, though, James Wolpert sang "A Case Of You", and it was far and away the stellar performance of the evening. Didn't really expect that from Wolpert, he hadn't really stood out until that performance. It was so stirring that I had to look the song up, and found out it was a Joni Mitchell song. I liked Wolpert's rendition far better than Joni's, though. I didn't really care for James Blake's version, either.
Reply to: #814552 by koalacat
Nov 7, 2013 11:23am
Thread
Since we are on the subject of birthdays today, can we all wish idlemoon a very Happy Birthday? :) thanks!!!
Reply to: #814560 by Blue Delft
Nov 7, 2013 1:42pm
Thread
can we all wish idlemoon a very Happy Birthday?

Of course! She is awesome. I hope I get back to the Philly area to see her again and Sheba, too!

Happy Birthday!
Reply to: #814557 by Kirbert
Nov 7, 2013 5:42pm
Thread
I had to look the song up, and found out it was a Joni Mitchell song.

Like her or not, she's written a lot of music that others made popular (as did Dolly Parton).
"Both Sides Now" and "Chelsea Morning" (Judy Collins) "The Circle Game", Buffy Sainte-Marie and "Woodstock" (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young). A very talented lady!

~~Doublesaj~~
Reply to: #814598 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Nov 7, 2013 8:20pm
Thread
"A Case of You" is one of those songs lots of singers are drawn to cover. Diana Krall? check. Tori Amos? check. In addition to the ones Kirbert mentioned, and many lesser knowns as well. Personally, I like to cover "The Urge for Going" (Wassa, keep it zipped; in spite of the lamentable title, it's a great--but lesser known--song, and the hook works).

She's also a proficient painter, and I admire and am inspired by all her work, musical and artistic.

I love that there are so many choices of preferences and creativities in the world--you don't have to like something to respect it, or to be moved by someone's story. Just look at our own community.

Wondering whose birthday will come up tomorrow?

aT
Boy do I feel old!
Nov 7, 2013 8:30pm
Thread
Peter Brady is 56 today!
Re: Boy do I feel old!
Reply to: #814616 by Colorful Caterpillars
Nov 8, 2013 5:18am
Thread
Peter Brady is 56 today!

And he's still so cute - and apparently back on the market!
Bil Keane died 102 years ago?
Nov 8, 2013 7:13am
Thread
Wow! His cartoons were really ahead of their time! ;-)
Re: Bil Keane died 102 years ago?
Reply to: #814650 by BfloAnonChick
Nov 8, 2013 7:33am
Thread
I noticed that too!
I am not drunk!
Nov 8, 2013 8:05am
Thread
Thankfully because it's only 11am. But that may change quickly!

But it happened again.

I entered an entire clue, on-line maybe 30 minutes, clicked on "Preview Clue" and was taken to "Add a Letterbox" page. All work lost again. Maybe this is happening because it was almost 11am when I clicked on "Preview Clue". Ya know, when AQ hangs up!

Guess I'll type one sentence and save. Type another sentence and save. But not right now.
Re: Bil Keane died 102 years ago?
Reply to: #814650 by BfloAnonChick
Nov 8, 2013 8:07am
Thread
I think Ryan's program has an error in calculation. Wikipedia says "William Aloysius Keane (October 5, 1922 -- November 8, 2011)", and the comic strip is now drawn by his son Jeff Keane.
Re: I am not drunk!
Reply to: #814656 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2013 8:09am
Thread
I entered an entire clue, on-line maybe 30 minutes, clicked on "Preview Clue" and was taken to "Add a Letterbox" page. All work lost again. Guess I'll type one sentence and save. Type another sentence and save.

I feel very sorry for you. <HUG> <HUG> <HUG> <HUG> <HUG>

Or if you are going to type a lot of text you could type it in a text editor and copy it over.
Nov 8, 2013 8:36am
Thread
What browser are you using? What are your privacy settings? I'm guessing AQ uses sessions and cookies, so your browser is probably nuking them on you.

Have you tried using a different browser?

Have you tried hitting "Preview Clue" at a higher frequency? Let's say every 10 minutes? To make sure that the session is staying alive?

Do you have "Keep me logged in" checked when you log into AQ?
Reply to: #814658 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 8, 2013 9:19am
Thread
Actually it wasn't a lot of text, it was a fairly short clue, but it did have a couple of links. Than I got called back to another part of the house for about 10 minutes.

I thought about saving when I was called back but that would list the box with an incomplete clue and I didn't like that idea so I just left it up on my desktop.

I didn't use Word this time because I didn't think the links (Wiki markup) would take in Word. Anyone ever try that?
Reply to: #814663 by Aiphid
Nov 8, 2013 9:30am
Thread
What browser are you using?

Chrome
What are your privacy settings?

You mean in Chrome? I don't know.

Chrome is the third I've used in the past two years. Tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. They are all temperamental.

Have you tried hitting "Preview Clue" at a higher frequency?

Right now I'm afraid to hit "Preview Clue" at all. If I can just get the clue saved without being kicked out I am happy. I can go fix later if needed.

Do you have "Keep me logged in" checked when you log into AQ?

If this is on the login page. NO! I never click that box for any site I visit.

I have never had to second guess AQ in the past. It has always worked. I don't feel I should have to start playing silly games to type a clue in AQ directly. There is either a problem with my computer, my browser, or AQ.

This has now happened to me with three reserved boxes and one traditional that was not reserved.
Nov 8, 2013 9:40am
Thread
My first recommendation would be to use Mozilla/Firefox if you're not already. Otherwise, type it out in Microsoft Word first, then cut and paste on AQ. In any case, you can save yourself a lot of headaches and worry by simply highlighting your clue text and copying it JUST BEFORE you hit the preview button! If it gets lost, you can then go back and paste your most recent work without issue.

If you still have problems after that then yah................. hit the Tequila hard!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #814680 by The Merry Pranksters
Nov 8, 2013 9:53am
Thread
Otherwise, type it out in Microsoft Word first, then cut and paste on AQ.

That would be my suggestion no matter what browser you are using. Although I'd use copy/paste rather than cut/paste.

TG
Reply to: #814677 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2013 9:57am
Thread
Chrome is the third I've used in the past two years. Tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. They are all temperamental.

Have you tried the other two for this? It doesn't really matter if you've used them in the past, it matters if you have the same symptoms using something other than the browser that you're using. It may just mean that your have your browser misconfigured.

What are your privacy settings?
You mean in Chrome? I don't know.

You might want to look it up. If you have it set to clear cookies/sessions too soon, that could be why your browser is no longer signed on after 30 minutes of inactivity instead of the default of (what did GT say? 4 hours?).

I have never had to second guess AQ in the past. It has always worked. I don't feel I should have to start playing silly games to type a clue in AQ directly. There is either a problem with my computer, my browser, or AQ.

That's the WHOLE POINT of this. It's not silly games, it's diagnosing the problem.