A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Problem viewing icons
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #812295 by Raven
Oct 25, 2013 8:39am
Thread
I carved it for an LTC in hopes that it would come out well enough to use as a new siggy.

Mission accomplished! The carve is fantastic. The LTC doesn't even look like it's made from a carved image!
An Interesting Question (or not)
Oct 25, 2013 1:43pm
Thread
I'm not really a statistics-oriented person, but I had a thought a not long ago. Is there some AQ mechanism that can add up all the finds on the boxes you've planted? If it could go anywhere, it could be a column on the chart on one's profile that lists plants, finds, adoptions, attempts, carves & donations. I was just thinking about the discussion that sometimes pops up regarding giving back. Comparing boxes planted to boxes found is a skewed comparison, since we hope more than one person finds our plants. If I've planted 87 boxes, and an average of ten people has found each box, then my plants found count is roughly 870, which needs to catch up to my find count. So I do need to plant more boxes, to keep giving back.

Just a random thought at a moment when of course I should be doing something else,

aT
in appreciation of all the planters out there!
Re: An Interesting Question (or not)
Reply to: #812350 by Jabber
Oct 25, 2013 2:08pm
Thread
This must be a "Premium Member" feature... dang! I need to get signed up for that! Look at all the cool stuff I'm missing! =D
Reply to: #812348 by artTrekker
Oct 25, 2013 2:45pm
Thread
I think that this is an excellent idea! I also think that it should be done for each of the categories on the table should have this.
Reply to: #812363 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 25, 2013 3:44pm
Thread
Your statistics page is a premium member perk. It shows up on "hat day" for us mortals.

K
Oct 25, 2013 8:38pm
Thread
Go to the 'My Page' drop down and open 'My Statistics' -- Ryan's got it covered.

WOW!!!

The stuff you never knew. That's COOL!!! My 87 little boxes have garnered 1699 (recorded) finds!!! Guess I am giving back.

Ryan, you da man. Thanks, Jabber, for upsizing my premium membership value for me. :D
Oct 25, 2013 10:33pm
Thread
Is there some AQ mechanism that can add up all the finds on the boxes you've planted?

Go to the 'My Page' drop down and open 'My Statistics' -- Ryan's got it covered.

Okay, I'm looking at this now (on another tab) and I don't see it. At the top I see the options for more detailed statistics for finds and plants by type of box. Then I see two pie charts (plants and finds) by category. Under the corresponding pie charts are plants and finds by country. Then comes to tables/lists of message board statistics. Finally are plant and find travel statistics.

Where are the number of finds by other people of my plants?
Reply to: #812422 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 25, 2013 10:36pm
Thread
Where are the number of finds by other people of my plants?

Select the types of boxes you want to know more about. Your planted traditional boxes, for instance, will include the number of finds recorded on your planted traditionals. Your planted LTCs will have the number of recorded finds on LTCs that you've planted.

So it's not on that front page--dig down into your plant statistics. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #812423 by Green Tortuga
Oct 25, 2013 11:01pm
Thread
Select the types of boxes you want to know more about.

In trying to explain how I still wasn't seeing it I finally found it. You need to go to "My Statistics" then click on the specific type at the top for Plants. At the bottom of the first section of text, to the left of the pie chart, are these two statistics:

Total finds on your boxes: ###
Total finders on your boxes:###

Those statistics are there after all. :-D
Reply to: #812426 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 25, 2013 11:12pm
Thread
OK, that is pretty cool. And there have been 5,470 finds on my boxes, while I have only 647 finds. So, I'm making up for some of you laggards.

At this point I'd like to renew my objection to any suggestion that letterboxers should feel obligated to plant some number of boxes. If you don't feel like planting, please don't. Only those who enjoy planting should do so.
Reply to: #812429 by Kirbert
Oct 25, 2013 11:56pm
Thread
At this point I'd like to renew my objection to any suggestion that letterboxers should feel obligated to plant some number of boxes.

I very much agree with this, and the other statements to which I'm replying.

However, I'm going to analyze this from a statistical point of view. My analysis is going to use greatly simplified assumptions, but will suffice to demonstrate my point. The suggested ratio has been (about) 1 plant for every 10 finds that you have made. Let's say that in your travel area are 11 boxers who also have the same travel area. Someone will have to be the one to break out of the 1:10 ratio, which is why I am using "about" above. Then every other boxer goes out to find this box and also plant one of their own. So every round there are eleven new boxes, one your plant and ten you find. This works and everyone maintains their "about" ratio.

However, if you have fewer boxers in your travel area (as I do), you can expand your travel area or recruit more boxers. I've been doing the former and have tried (unsuccessfully so far) the later. My P:F ratio is 25:99, well above the 1:10 suggested ratio. I do need to go out and find more boxes, but I got above this ratio by planting boxes (after I'd found about 10 letterboxes and a lot more geocaches). I didn't feel pressured to plant, except for my Monthly Box series (a box a month for a year), which is only (about) half my boxes. I just wanted to plant.

Now, let's assume that you're in an area where there are more than 11 boxers trying to maintain this ratio. Either they ignore boxes in their area so that they can maintain their ratio, or they find all those in their area and plant accordingly. Assuming all of the boxers are taking the later strategy, there will be no way that they can maintain their ratio. Worrying about something that they can't fix will stress them out. Even attempting to keep this ratio will cause quality to suffer.

So statistically, you need 11 active boxers in your area to be able to maintain this ratio. This doesn't even take into account boxers from outside of your area, or the occasional trip by someone to an area outside of their regular area. You can see how this will quickly get complicated.

What I'm saying, a long way around, is that I agree with Kirbert for the very reasons he stated. I'm just backing up my opinion with math.
Reply to: #812348 by artTrekker
Oct 26, 2013 9:15am
Thread
We were so glad to see the statistics breakdown! We have close to 3,000 finds of letterboxes placed by others, but even more finds from others on our boxes. It feels good to know that we are doing our part to help our hobby grow.
Reply to: #812434 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 28, 2013 8:04am
Thread
So statistically, you need 11 active boxers in your area to be able to maintain this ratio.

Statistics can lie. Here in the Frozen Tundra we call Alaska we have maybe 3 or 4 active boxers in our whole state. Yet we seem to get a lot of finds/plants above the statistical ratio.

deniserows
in a land of boxing tourists
Statistically is it possible to meet the 801 boxers...
Oct 28, 2013 8:08am
Thread
who have found my boxes? That is my new letterboxing goal!
*sheesh* i'd better start using some airline mileage huh?
Thanx Ryan for the fun stats.

deniserows
the incomplete subject line for a specific boxer she has met
Re: Statistically is it possible to meet the 801 boxers...
Reply to: #812742 by deniserows
Oct 28, 2013 9:11am
Thread
Love that goal! With more than 1300 finders on our boxes, we could be traveling for a looooonnnnnnggggg time! You go girl!
Oct 28, 2013 9:22am
Thread
Statistically is it possible to meet the 801 boxers...who have found my boxes? That is my new letterboxing goal!

Hey, what about me? I haven't found any of your boxes, but you created the logbook that's in one of my plants. Isn't that a close enough connection?

~Dawnkey, feeling a little left out
Reply to: #812755 by Grumpy Grinch
Oct 28, 2013 9:49am
Thread
Where are you finding this statistic??? I went though my stats and didn't see it and I'm seriously interested in finding out??
Reply to: #812764 by Public Hand
Oct 28, 2013 9:54am
Thread
Where are you finding this statistic??? I went though my stats and didn't see it and I'm seriously interested in finding out??

My Page -->
My Stats -->
Plants: Traditional

Look at the list on top (Total finds on your boxes/Total finders on your boxes)

Pete
Reply to: #812767 by The Merry Pranksters
Oct 28, 2013 10:12am
Thread
Thanks, MP!!
Oct 28, 2013 11:14am
Thread
What about HHs? I have found one of yours!

What about boxes with your stamp in it (donated), but I am the owner? I have one of those, too.

Come to TN!
Reply to: #812767 by The Merry Pranksters
Oct 28, 2013 11:26am
Thread
My Page -->
My Stats -->
Plants: Traditional

Look at the list on top (Total finds on your boxes/Total finders on your boxes)

I only see "Top 10 common" finders. Is there a list of EVERYone who've found them?
Reply to: #812785 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 28, 2013 11:39am
Thread
Is there a list of EVERYone who've found them?

I think there's only a list for the top ten. It says how many total finders you've had, but I guess it's up to you to track them down.

And then of course there are all those finders who don't log their finds on AQ....
Oct 28, 2013 11:58am
Thread
You've already met a lot of us. ;)

GJ (801 Boxer)
Oct 28, 2013 12:07pm
Thread
wow. i have 2500+ finds on my boxes but only 246 individual finders????

what are all y'all doing? just going the rounds of my boxes, over and over and over again??? Cuz i don't have that many plants. . .

~tigs (i don't think these statistics make sense. . .)
Reply to: #812792 by tiggermama
Oct 28, 2013 12:13pm
Thread
Total finds on your boxes: 4,235
Total finders on your boxes: 598. My stats

Who hasn't found a Tig's box yet : (
Reply to: #812793 by turkey feathers
Oct 28, 2013 12:15pm
Thread
See? they're running around, just stamping your boxes dozens of times too!!

~tigs (but i've found one of your'n!! heh heh heh - and used it to lure a muggle into our clutches!!)
Reply to: #812793 by turkey feathers
Oct 28, 2013 12:18pm
Thread
Who hasn't found a Tig's box yet : (

Ditto that. 8~(
Reply to: #812794 by tiggermama
Oct 28, 2013 12:26pm
Thread
I remember your converting a muggle on that box : ) That box and one in AK about as far as you can span the US. Kudos to that accomplishment
Reply to: #812794 by tiggermama
Oct 28, 2013 12:32pm
Thread
If you had 10 boxes and 1 person found all of them, you'd have 1 finder and 10 finds. If you had 20 boxes that 25 people all found, you'd have 25 finders and 500 finds. 246 finders can easily add up to 2500 finds.

K
Reply to: #812806 by Kelsung
Oct 28, 2013 12:33pm
Thread
so, what you're saying is, i'm bad at math. . .

ok. i'm good with that.

~tigs (off to the boing)