A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Mysterious reactivation
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #810074 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 13, 2013 2:17am
Thread
It's limited time because the clue says it is only available May to Aug.
Reply to: #810086 by Kelsung
Oct 13, 2013 11:05am
Thread
And for that reason, I've always found the "limited time" attribute a bit confusing. To me, "limited time" should mean that it'll only be available for a little while and then it'll be gone forever. If it's extended to mean that it's only available for a little while and then it'll be gone until next year, where does it stop? Are boxes that are only available Monday through Friday "limited time"? How about those that are only available during daytime? Or those that are available on all days except Christmas and Easter?
Reply to: #810123 by Kirbert
Oct 13, 2013 11:20am
Thread
If it's extended to mean that it's only available for a little while and then it'll be gone until next year, where does it stop? Are boxes that are only available Monday through Friday "limited time"? How about those that are only available during daytime? Or those that are available on all days except Christmas and Easter?

You're over-thinking things, Kirbert. =) If it's available more often than not, it's not a limited time box. If it's only available for short period of time with long stretches of unavailability, then it's a limited time box. Even boxes that are only available M-F are more about limited hours than limited "time."

-- Ryan
Reply to: #810127 by Green Tortuga
Oct 13, 2013 12:36pm
Thread
You're over-thinking things, Kirbert. =)

when did Kirbert start overthinking things ? : )
Reply to: #810086 by Kelsung
Oct 13, 2013 9:06pm
Thread
Oh, I see that now... I hadn't looked at the clue before, just the "limited time" icon. I always thought that was used when a box was only available for a limited time and then retired. Thanks! : )
Reply to: #810123 by Kirbert
Oct 14, 2013 12:25am
Thread
Once again, people are making use of words and phrases in ways that do not fit Kirbert's personal definition. This has just got to be stopped. How dare anyone expect us to read the clues and think for ourselves rather than skim some icons and immediately understand every detail.

If a double amputee held a carving tool in his teeth to make a stamp, is he still allowed to use the "hand-carved" icon?

K
Reply to: #810287 by Kelsung
Oct 14, 2013 8:34am
Thread
If a double amputee held a carving tool in his teeth to make a stamp, is he still allowed to use the "hand-carved" icon?

Damn straight they do!!!! More power to 'em, too....
Reply to: #810338 by Okie Dog
Oct 15, 2013 8:19am
Thread
I would be so tempted to use the word of mouth icon if I were a double amputee. To mean mouth carved.
Need to remove an event box
Oct 18, 2013 12:31pm
Thread
How can I remove an event box from my event?
Re: Need to remove an event box
Reply to: #811087 by Boxer Lover47
Oct 18, 2013 12:34pm
Thread
Retire it or make unavailable?
Reply to: #811087 by Boxer Lover47
Oct 18, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
How can I remove an event box from my event?

Open the box details page, find the even in the list of events under the box details, click "drop" on the right side of the event.
Reply to: #811088 by FloridaFour
Oct 19, 2013 9:38am
Thread
Isnt there a way to write the clues but hide them? Someone tried to explain this to me once but I felt like I was trying to sort hay for a needle. This site is great. Lots of info. At the same time, there's LOTS of info. Im constantly learning with huge thanks to patient folks.
So, is there a way to make the clue then hide it?

~cc
Reply to: #811233 by crosscresent
Oct 19, 2013 10:00am
Thread
So, is there a way to make the clue then hide it?

You can do this by creating a reserved box. It is like creating a traditional box, except that you can't specify the location or some attributes that go with traditional boxes. When you are ready for your clue to go "live", change the type of the box to traditional and make the final tweaks.
Reply to: #811233 by crosscresent
Oct 19, 2013 7:29pm
Thread
This qualifies as a duh: Write the clues on Notepad and save them on your own 'puter. Once the box is actually in place, just copy-and-paste the text into the clue field on AQ.

Really, you wanna keep a copy of those clues for yourself anyway, just in case something unthinkable happens to AQ's server.
Reply to: #811302 by Kirbert
Oct 19, 2013 7:35pm
Thread
.... just in case something unthinkable happens to AQ's server.

I just don't even want to think about that!

-- Ryan
This day in history: 1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy
Oct 20, 2013 5:55pm
Thread
1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy: The world's worst soccer disaster occurred in Moscow when 340 sports fans were killed during a game between Soviet and Dutch players. Details of the event were not published until nearly seven years later.

Wikipedia says 66 were killed and 61 injured. In the article it says, "The number of fatalities in this crush was not officially revealed until seven years later, in 1989. Until then, this figure varied in press reports from 3 to 340 fatalities."
Re: This day in history: 1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy
Reply to: #811477 by Dizzy
Oct 20, 2013 11:03pm
Thread
Still too damn many. It's only a game, people!
Reply to: #811091 by Aiphid
Oct 21, 2013 10:57am
Thread
Love the carve you have up on the boards!!!!!
Problem viewing icons
Oct 24, 2013 5:31am
Thread
When I log onto AQ, I can't view any of the icons or theme pictures. I know the icons (contact member, profile, ect) are still there because if I run the mouse over them, the little box comes up telling me what they are. But it has been a couple days now. I must have changed some settings somehow but I can't figure out where.
Re: Problem viewing icons
Reply to: #812156 by Photo Dabble
Oct 24, 2013 6:22am
Thread
I believe I saw an option for that in the theme preferences. But to me (and in no was am I computer literate) it sounds like a browser issue. What are you using and have you tried anything else or refreshing your cache or cookies or whatever?
Reply to: #812166 by Raven
Oct 24, 2013 11:52am
Thread
btw, i think you should carve that lil picture as a siggy stamp. she's cute AND rebellious. . .

~tigs
Reply to: #812209 by tiggermama
Oct 25, 2013 8:20am
Thread
I kind of did. I carved it for an LTC in hopes that it would come out well enough to use as a new siggy.
Reply to: #812295 by Raven
Oct 25, 2013 8:39am
Thread
I carved it for an LTC in hopes that it would come out well enough to use as a new siggy.

Mission accomplished! The carve is fantastic. The LTC doesn't even look like it's made from a carved image!
An Interesting Question (or not)
Oct 25, 2013 1:43pm
Thread
I'm not really a statistics-oriented person, but I had a thought a not long ago. Is there some AQ mechanism that can add up all the finds on the boxes you've planted? If it could go anywhere, it could be a column on the chart on one's profile that lists plants, finds, adoptions, attempts, carves & donations. I was just thinking about the discussion that sometimes pops up regarding giving back. Comparing boxes planted to boxes found is a skewed comparison, since we hope more than one person finds our plants. If I've planted 87 boxes, and an average of ten people has found each box, then my plants found count is roughly 870, which needs to catch up to my find count. So I do need to plant more boxes, to keep giving back.

Just a random thought at a moment when of course I should be doing something else,

aT
in appreciation of all the planters out there!
Re: An Interesting Question (or not)
Reply to: #812350 by Jabber
Oct 25, 2013 2:08pm
Thread
This must be a "Premium Member" feature... dang! I need to get signed up for that! Look at all the cool stuff I'm missing! =D
Reply to: #812348 by artTrekker
Oct 25, 2013 2:45pm
Thread
I think that this is an excellent idea! I also think that it should be done for each of the categories on the table should have this.
Reply to: #812363 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 25, 2013 3:44pm
Thread
Your statistics page is a premium member perk. It shows up on "hat day" for us mortals.

K
Oct 25, 2013 8:38pm
Thread
Go to the 'My Page' drop down and open 'My Statistics' -- Ryan's got it covered.

WOW!!!

The stuff you never knew. That's COOL!!! My 87 little boxes have garnered 1699 (recorded) finds!!! Guess I am giving back.

Ryan, you da man. Thanks, Jabber, for upsizing my premium membership value for me. :D
Oct 25, 2013 10:33pm
Thread
Is there some AQ mechanism that can add up all the finds on the boxes you've planted?

Go to the 'My Page' drop down and open 'My Statistics' -- Ryan's got it covered.

Okay, I'm looking at this now (on another tab) and I don't see it. At the top I see the options for more detailed statistics for finds and plants by type of box. Then I see two pie charts (plants and finds) by category. Under the corresponding pie charts are plants and finds by country. Then comes to tables/lists of message board statistics. Finally are plant and find travel statistics.

Where are the number of finds by other people of my plants?
Reply to: #812422 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 25, 2013 10:36pm
Thread
Where are the number of finds by other people of my plants?

Select the types of boxes you want to know more about. Your planted traditional boxes, for instance, will include the number of finds recorded on your planted traditionals. Your planted LTCs will have the number of recorded finds on LTCs that you've planted.

So it's not on that front page--dig down into your plant statistics. =)

-- Ryan