A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: OMG
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #362776 by Blooming Flower
Mar 15, 2009 9:59am
Thread
I diito that, Janet. When my son got stitches he received a couple if get well cards from ths wonderful 'AQ family." Know that you are in everyone's hearts and prayers! I'm an oncology nurse and if you want any info you can email off board. Ryan, Wassa-you guys are really the best!

Scraphappy
who also loves Harold
Re: Ryan Is A Total "Prince"
Reply to: #362819 by dancingpecan
Mar 15, 2009 10:37am
Thread
Wassa, Ryan said you came up with this, so a heartfelt thanks to you for making something so special. When all is said and done, you are one heck of a guy.

dancing pecan
Re: Wassa Is A Total "Prince"
Reply to: #362923 by dancingpecan
Mar 15, 2009 11:04am
Thread
So we'll give credit where it's due!
Pretty great guys, either way you put it!
EMMM
Reply to: #362784 by Wendy
Mar 15, 2009 4:24pm
Thread
Discovering this awesome theme in support of our fellow LBer, Blooming Flowers, is one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The power of it leaves me speechless. Thanks, Ryan. Blooming Flowers-----our thoughts and prayers are with you.

QM and CW
Reply to: #363022 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 15, 2009 4:32pm
Thread
Discovering this awesome theme in support of our fellow LBer, Blooming Flowers, is one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The power of it leaves me speechless. Thanks, Ryan. Blooming Flowers-----our thoughts and prayers are with you.

QM and CW

well, I was going to edit my post to transfer our thanks to wassa for this cool background and its even more important meaning, but my "edit" button seems to no longer exist....I must have missed something.....so I'll just do it this way.
QM
Reply to: #363027 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 15, 2009 4:38pm
Thread
Yeah,the edit button only stays up for a few minutes. You're getting your message across though. :)

Shiloh
New St. Patty's Day Theme
Mar 16, 2009 10:33am
Thread
Right-click on the link below and select "Copy Link...".

http://www.geocities.com/ninetynine.bottles/aqcss/99b-guinness.css

Go to My Page menu > Preferences.
Click on Themes.
Click in the CSS URL field and press CTRL + A (select all) and then CTRL + V (paste).
Click Save Preferences.

Enjoy!

*S
Re: New St. Patty's Day Theme
Reply to: #363284 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 10:39am
Thread
Thanks, but I've had to resort back to the defualt blue during the week... big graphics referring to beer kinda stand out these days with the new office... :-(
Reply to: #363289 by She Runs
Mar 16, 2009 11:36am
Thread
You DO have a computer at home, right?

*S
Reply to: #363324 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 6:04pm
Thread
Um, yeah! But the Guinness logos are a bit busy for me....what's the "normal theme beer" css???
Reply to: #363284 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 7:16pm
Thread
Nice "hop" on Margorie!
Reply to: #363534 by She Runs
Mar 16, 2009 7:46pm
Thread
Which? The ones in the background?

*S
Reply to: #363601 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 7:55pm
Thread
Yes. I found the ones in the background intruding a bit too much when I tried to read the text on My Page and the Home page. I really liked it other than that. It just made my eyes hurt.

Knit wit
Reply to: #363601 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 7:57pm
Thread
Yup.
Reply to: #363606 by She Runs
Mar 16, 2009 8:05pm
Thread
Refresh (may take several presses of F5).

*S
Reply to: #363608 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 8:28pm
Thread
Better. :-)
Reply to: #363616 by She Runs
Mar 16, 2009 8:47pm
Thread
Good.

Now... you know what's special about the bottle at top right... right?

Go to your My Page, look at what it appears next to, then come back here...

Hehheh

*S
Reply to: #363621 by BrewHiker
Mar 16, 2009 8:55pm
Thread
Huh? Not seeing it.
Reply to: #363624 by She Runs
Mar 16, 2009 9:02pm
Thread
Take a close look at the bottle. It's a Guinness Draught bottle, which is equipped with a device that releases nitrogen into the beer but only when the bottle is tipped. That device is called a...

rocket widget.

(insert Dr. Evil laugh here)

*S
Rock Stashing??!?!?!
Mar 16, 2009 9:20pm
Thread
Ok, somebody posted a few posts about a new "spin" on the sport, called "Rockstashing", and that got moved around several boards. I'm going to give my take on it here, since I kinda lost track of where it was, and besides, Ryan isn't here so neener neener neener.

Rockstashing. The name even SOUNDS rugged and adventurous, doesn't it? For those of you who missed the initial post, Rockstashing is basically like letterboxing, only instead of a box and a stamp, you find... a ROCK! Woohoo!!! This opens a whole WORLD of new possibilities, as far as I am concerned! Just think... no more fumbling around with messy old logbooks, that just get smeared in the rain - rocks are (for the most part) waterproof! Kirbert, this could really simplify your "product testing." Also, just think how easy it will be to rehide - scatter a few, errr, rocks over your rock, and viola! And as for attaching with magnets... heck, a magnet IS a rock! What could be simpler!

And think how much paper usage we can reduce on clues, when you consider that ALL of Stone Mountain is really just ONE ROCK! Instead of 100+ clues, there is just one. Of course, rehiding can be a real pain...

Urban boxing. We would have a built-in stealth tactic. You try lugging a bunch of rocks around an urban environment, and I guarantee nobody will bother you! If the police stop you, of course, you would naturally have to 'fess up without lying: "It's ok, Officer, I'm a Stoner!" The ensuing incarceration would just add to the hobby, however, as you are given a prime opportunity to turn big rocks into little rocks.

But why stop there... let's really take this to the next level... how about Postals? I can see it now, Postal Stashers boxing up rocks and mailing them coast-to-coast. Be sure to get insurance! And of course, that would lead to Rock Rings (though, I suspect those would be referred to as "Henges"). At Gatherings (Quarries?) you could exchange rocks with other Stashers - Personal Gravelers! Rock Trading Cards would become all the rage (only due to the difficulty in acquiring small slabs, they would have to be the standard 2.5 ft x 3.5 ft).

And of course, Rockstashing Trailnames... need I even go there? Everyone would have some sort of mineral reference in their name - it would be like one giant episode of The Flintstones!! We could have both Hanna AND Barbera rolling in their graves!

I think I am going to like the addition of this vein of the hobby. I was starting to run out of "letterboxing" puns!!!

-wassamatta_u...err, I mean, barney_rubble
Re: Rock Stashing??!?!?!
Reply to: #363640 by wassamatta u
Mar 16, 2009 9:25pm
Thread
Sooooo you gonna change from Wassa to ......"Noxious Methane with horns and hoofs"?
Mar 16, 2009 9:36pm
Thread
I was starting to run out of "letterboxing" puns!!!

You can start with something about a box of rocks. hm
Reply to: #363649 by System
Mar 16, 2009 10:00pm
Thread
That's just how Wassa is... but he's not making fun at this hobby... believe it or not, he is actually supporting it in his own little world... see... *begins to whisper* he is a little immature for his age... he still likes the Flintstones and he is just trying to relate... he was also diagnosed recently by our very own how and kris with multiple personality disorder. He also has a rather tragic hobby he likes to call cheese racing (scroll down)....

...anyways, most people have learned to let Wassa be the playful little moose he is... (even though he keeps taunting Fluffy Cow with that Fearless Colon award...)... trust me, he just likes to poke fun =)

~BOB~
Reply to: #363652 by Bobguyman
Mar 16, 2009 10:09pm
Thread
trust me, he just likes to poke fun =)

Yeah, I didn't mean to cause an avalanche of responses to Rockstashing. I guess I just take it for granite that people know what a gneiss guy I am! I don't mean to get sedimental about it, but I never metamorphic I didn't like.
Mar 16, 2009 10:19pm
Thread
Rock On, Wassa!!!
Mar 16, 2009 10:43pm
Thread
Oh, my gosh, I am rolling in my seat, laughing out loud so that I fear I will wake my Mom up in the next room!!! ha ha ha. Postal Stashers boxing up rocks, that rocks! ha ha. And we need a Stone Henge postal theme ring, now. Someone could collect all the rocks others send and build it, they would come, don't ya know. I just found today amongst all my recently deceased Uncles things, a pretty little rock, with lots of colors in it. I have mine, whos next? Gee, wonder just how much insurance I would need, cause this rock has sentimental value? I think I would want it back too, after the ring and "pile" are finished, of course a picture put on AQ would need to be made of each of our contributions. Wassa, is there enough mega bites in Ryan's puter to hold all those rock pics? I would want mine to be first! heh heh. I don't think we need to put any grout between them, now, that might make it just a wee bit hard to get mine off the bottom. :-)
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
OD-----oh, shoot, what was the name of that dog they had?
Reply to: #363649 by System
Mar 17, 2009 12:54am
Thread
you're not funny, mr. wassa. it's not right to make fun of other people's ideas.

At least I won't make fun of your idea, I'll just tell you it is a stupid idea.
Reply to: #363653 by wassamatta u
Mar 17, 2009 5:31am
Thread
[GROAN]
Reply to: #363664 by Okie Dog
Mar 17, 2009 5:49am
Thread
Now see everybody thinks it is a joke but this is kinda what I do when I letterbox. I go out and leave a rock in random boxes that I find, I put a little dab of color about the size of a thumb print. Why do I do this? it adds a little more character to my name and the rocks I find. Besides each rock is unique, well, in my eyes.

I don't want to be labeled as a person who can't take a joke. The idea of finding rocks as an alternative to a letterbox would not be as creative and send us back to the stone age.

Just be careful of what you say
Mar 17, 2009 6:28am
Thread
Remember PET ROCKS....Larva lady-ZZ