A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Interesting
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #147807 by Otis' Friends
Oct 30, 2007 10:36pm
Thread
Log book entries for the same date used to be listed alphabetically but now appear to be random . . . .

Gosh, that didn't take you long to notice!

Actually, those, it's not random at all. =) It's sorting them (or rather, trying to sort them) based on the other you entered the finds using the assumption that you entered finds in the same order you found them.

So when you list finds chronologically, they actually are in chronological order--or at least closer to it than deliberately listing them in alphabetical order.

The biggest catch, though, is the fact that listed and unlisted finds are stored in two different tables and I can't tell which were found first between the two tables.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to sort them in the order the boxes were found, but since AQ doesn't track the time of day when you found a box, it's not entirely accurate. I an go back to alphabetical in cases of a tie, though, if that's what people prefer. Doesn't much matter to me. *shrug* =) Let me know.

-- Ryan
Re: Remotely hosted clues--details for you! =)
Reply to: #147833 by Green Tortuga
Oct 30, 2007 11:00pm
Thread
Quote To mark the part of the page that is a clue, use something like this:

< !-- aq -- >
Write clue here
< !-- aq end -- >

What happens if you have clues to several different boxes on the same web page? Will the entire page be cached for each box? Should you therefore put the first mark before the first clue and the end mark after the last clue?

Also, I've never done this, but what happens when the link on AQ leads to an offsite web page, and the instructions on that web page are to follow a link to a third web page? Will AQ not cache the third page?

Finally, if the clue is mainly hosted on AQ but includes links to other web pages as part of the clue, does AQ cache those?
Re: Metric conversions
Reply to: #146671 by Fish Below The Ice
Oct 30, 2007 11:07pm
Thread
If I pull up a local query (for Toronto, ON), the first box listed is "Blue Man Group" with a hike length of 0.5km. If I pull up the box listing, it says that the hike length is 0.8km. I then click on the clue and it tells me that the hike length is 0.5km again. I see the same effect for other boxes.

Appears some bugs have shown up. The database actually shows Blue Man Group to be 0.5 miles long, so it was the clue and search results that were incorrect. The box details page was showing the correct results.

I've fixed those two pages to show the correct results now, however. Thanks for pointing out the problem! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #147843 by Kirbert
Oct 30, 2007 11:15pm
Thread
What happens if you have clues to several different boxes on the same web page? Will the entire page be cached for each box?

I had considered setting it up so people could mark the start and finish of each clue if they have multiple clues on a single webpage, but people really should not list more than one clue per page to begin with. It makes it hard for people--especially those who aren't computer savy--to print out sometimes dozens of pages of clues just for two small paragraphs that have the one clue they're interested in. I figure at that point, things are already screwed up enough. If the cached version is screwed up as well, at least it's no worse than the non-cached version. =)

So yes, the entire page would be cached for each box. I might allow an option to mark clue numbers at some point, but I don't think it's really worth the effort. I'd rather encourage people to limit themselves to one clue per page to begin with.

but what happens when the link on AQ leads to an offsite web page, and the instructions on that web page are to follow a link to a third web page? Will AQ not cache the third page?

Only the page that is immediately linked to will get cached, and AQ will not follow links in the page to other pages. (All links in the linked page will be stripped out of the cached version anyhow.)

if the clue is mainly hosted on AQ but includes links to other web pages as part of the clue, does AQ cache those?

No.

-- Ryan
Re: Interesting
Reply to: #147840 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 3:48am
Thread
Quote It's sorting them (or rather, trying to sort them) based on the other you entered the finds using the assumption that you entered finds in the same order you found them.

So when you list finds chronologically, they actually are in chronological order--or at least closer to it than deliberately listing them in alphabetical order.

There are obvious ways this change can be used to conceal the general location of certain finds/plants.
Reply to: #147845 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 5:56am
Thread
Quote if the clue is mainly hosted on AQ but includes links to other web pages as part of the clue, does AQ cache those?

No.

Well, if it's written out without the internet "lingo" around it, it will cache it, right?
ie: atlasquest dot com instead of or in addition to www.atlasquest.com
Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Reply to: #147878 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Oct 31, 2007 8:34am
Thread
Well, if it's written out without the internet "lingo" around it, it will cache it, right?
ie: atlasquest dot com instead of or in addition to www.atlasquest.com

It'll cache the name of the link--just not the HTML that actually makes it linkable. So if you write www.atlasquest.com in a clue that links to www.atlasquest.com, the www.atlasquest.com will show up in the clue. The difference is that people won't be able to click on it to open the site because the link itself will be gone.

-- Ryan
Using AQ mail through your e-mail address?
Oct 31, 2007 10:16am
Thread
I've had several people recently contact me about "e-mail problems," so I'd like to remind everyone a couple of important details for those who use AQ mail through your real e-mail address.

First, use atlasquest.NET, not atlasquest.COM. Anything to atlasquest.COM just goes to me, and most of it likely gets eliminated by my spam filter as coming from an unknown person so I won't even be able to tell you when a message went astray.

Second, Atlas Quest identifies an e-mail as coming from you based on your e-mail address. You must send your message from the e-mail address you have registered at Atlas Quest, otherwise AQ will not know who the message is from and the message will quietly be deleted as spam.

Third, if you have your AQ mail forwarded to your real e-mail address, make sure that it isn't being deep sixed by your own spam filter settings. Make sure any e-mail coming from atlasquest.NET does not end up in your spam folder. There are only a small handful of e-mail addresses that would come from atlasquest.COM (either because I mailed it myself manually or AQ sent something automatically such as a new password or a digest), but I don't send spam so you should be safe to accept all messages that come from atlasquest.com as well.

And finally, most of the automated messages that come from Atlas Quest such as the lost password or digests are mailed from "doNotReply". If you decide to reply to it anyhow, I have set my filters to automatically delete such messages because more often than not, they weren't directed to me anyhow. Do not reply to "doNotReply" e-mail. =)

I think that's all.....

-- Ryan
Possible "issues" connecting to AQ soon.... =)
Oct 31, 2007 12:19pm
Thread
Just so everyone knows what's going on, I got some bad news not too long ago, telling me that the IP address that Atlas Quest uses is going to be changed whether I like it or not. I don't really understand what's wrong with this one I've been using for the last two years--I'm rather fond of it, actually--but the IP address has to change. If I don't update the server to use these new IP addresses, Atlas Quest will stop working on December 1st. Actually, the site will still work--it's just that nobody will be able to connect to it anymore, so the result is the same. *shrug*

I've downloaded a little form about how to do so, which I'm about to start following through with now. But I've never had to update the IP address for AQ before, and it's entirely possible I could screw something up along the way. Or maybe the IP address for AQ will need time to propagate throughout the Internet, so the site might be inaccessible for a day or two. Or maybe any number of problems. I've never done this before, though, so I'm not all sure what might happen.

So.... You might want to keep track of a couple of IP addresses for the next couple of days to make sure you can keep accessing this site. The old IP address is 38.119.120.169--if you find yourself unable to connect to AQ, try typing the IP address directly into the web browser. If that does work, give the new IP address a try. It's 74.200.76.117. I tried typing them both into my web browser, and they both seemed to work just fine. Eventually the old number will stop working completely. I hope the new number continues to work throughout the whole migration process. =)

Wish me luck! Sorry if this causes any downtime, but I figure better a little downtime now than a LOT of downtime come December 1st. I don't expect AQ to be down any longer than it takes to restart the server, but when it comes to domain names and IP addresses, it could take a couple of days for everything to get straightened out completely.

-- Ryan
Re: Possible "issues" connecting to AQ soon.... =)
Reply to: #148017 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 12:24pm
Thread
Bookmarked - Thanks for all your hard work, Ryan. :o)

~ 3BG
Reply to: #148019 by peaceful Warrior
Oct 31, 2007 12:29pm
Thread
Bookmarked

You may actually want to write it down and now bookmark it because if the site does go down you will not be able to look at the bookmark =o)

Cheers!
Rhea
Re: Using AQ mail through your e-mail address?
Reply to: #147973 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 12:33pm
Thread
Just keep doing your "STUFF"! Actually this is really great timing for me as I'm headed off to Argentina and by the time I get back everything will be cool.

FYI there will still not be a Don & Gwen letterbox in Argentina.

Don
Clue hits tally
Oct 31, 2007 2:10pm
Thread
I notice that some boxes have clue hit tally, and others don't. Plz 'splain how this works. Is there a minimum that triggers the counter or something like that?

WH
Re: Clue hits tally
Reply to: #148060 by Wildhair
Oct 31, 2007 2:12pm
Thread
Quote I notice that some boxes have clue hit tally, and others don't.

The only reason I can think why is because they are all not hosted here on AQ. Are all of your boxes listed her, or a the a relink to LBNA?

Trish:)
Reply to: #148060 by Wildhair
Oct 31, 2007 2:15pm
Thread
notice that some boxes have clue hit tally, and others don't. Plz 'splain how this works.

All AQ-hosted clues have that tally. If it's not hosted on AQ, though, there's no way for me to count how many people are viewing the clue.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #148062 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 2:21pm
Thread
Aha another unique feature of AQ, thanks for the prompt reply, Ryan! 'twas just curious.
Oct 31, 2007 2:29pm
Thread
Well, I've done step one of the IP address migration process. If I did everything correctly, the new IP address should be working its way through the Internet for the next two or three days. =)

I'll probably wait a week or so before removing support the old IP address completely, so I'll probably be making another announcement then that something might go horribly wrong. ;o)

In the meantime, everything seems to be working just fine for the moment. *nodding* I'll feel better since the IP address has propagated, though, and everything continues to work fine.

-- Ryan
Oct 31, 2007 5:19pm
Thread
do we need to worry about backing up our finds, plants,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any other info stored here?

condo
Reply to: #148106 by condo
Oct 31, 2007 6:05pm
Thread
do we need to worry about backing up our finds, plants,,any other info stored here?

Not any more than usual--the change of IP addresses won't cause any loss of data. It just might cause you to not be able to access Atlas Quest for a short period, and that's only a worst case scenario. The site will still exist, even if you're not able to access it for a day or two. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #148112 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 6:12pm
Thread
Should we start saving water and gathering canned foods and batteries?
Reply to: #148116 by Alyson Wonderland
Oct 31, 2007 6:30pm
Thread

Definitely. ;o)

-- Ryan
Oct 31, 2007 6:51pm
Thread
Thanks for all you do, Ryan! We appreciate it!

T-N-T (TRH N T on AQ)
Cleveland, New York
Reply to: #148124 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 7:14pm
Thread
Will the change have any impact on the clue links located at LBNA (the ones hosted here)
Reply to: #148116 by Alyson Wonderland
Oct 31, 2007 8:12pm
Thread

Maybe we should all just get prescriptions for anti-anxiety meds. I mean, I know I get anxious when I can connect to AQ, don't you? ;)

TG
Group boxing question
Oct 31, 2007 9:14pm
Thread
I have a question about letterboxes that have a F-count on them. There are several of us who letterbox together and we all have different F-counts. Mine happens to be higher than everyone elses, so I did a search the other day and a new box showed up. I'm assuming it has a F-count on it because it doesn't show up when I logged in under my daughter's name and she has a F-count less than mine.

So, the question is, if my daughter or friends go with me, can they stamp in to this letterbox and then wait until their F-count is high enough to log it online?

Moose Lady
Re: Group boxing question
Reply to: #148161 by Moose Lady
Oct 31, 2007 9:23pm
Thread
if my daughter or friends go with me, can they stamp in to this letterbox and then wait until their F-count is high enough to log it online?

They don't even have to wait until their F-count is high enough to log it. Just the clues are inaccessible. If you go directly to the box in question (search for it using the "Basic Search" option), anyone can log the find regardless of their counts. They won't be able to see the clue, but they can still record the find.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #148136 by Weeping Willow
Oct 31, 2007 9:33pm
Thread
Will the change have any impact on the clue links located at LBNA

It shouldn't, but if something goes terribly, terribly wrong, the links might be broken for a day or so.

Everything is looking good so far, though. The IP address change has propagated to my system already, and AQ has been accessible the whole time. =) I think I'm out of the proverbial woods for Part I of the IP address migration. Part II of the change (when I disable the old IP addresses) will begin next week.

If you want to know if the new IP address has propagated to your system, run the command "ping atlasquest.com" from the command line. If the reply comes from 38.119.120.169, the new IP address hasn't propagated to you yet. If the reply comes back from 74.200.76.117, that means you're using the new IP address.

Just remember, there's not really any way you can speed up the process yourself. If you're still seeing the old IP address, just try again later. It's supposed to fully propagate within about 48 hours or so, but I intend to wait a week before doing anything else.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #148163 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 10:02pm
Thread
oh man, so if I plant a letterbox at the old address, it will be lost forever?
So I best not plant one there.
tee hee
Reply to: #148163 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 10:27pm
Thread
I'm lost on this fancy wording i.e. ping command line. I just want to know that when I hit AQ on my favorites it will go where it is supposed to go? Is that correct? Or do I put in the Internet Explorer address bar: 74.200.76.117 and it will take me there then? And later on when things settle down I can then change my favorites to the correct address? Right?
Thanks, Okie Dog
Reply to: #148174 by Okie Dog
Nov 1, 2007 12:07am
Thread
I just want to know that when I hit AQ on my favorites it will go where it is supposed to go?

Yes, don't worry about it. I'm half sorry I even brought it up if I realized it would cause so much confusion.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

NOBODY HAS TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

I only mentioned the IP addresses just in case I screwed something up--it was nothing more than a precaution that, happily, does not seem to be necessary.

-- Ryan