A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Publishing on AQ.....?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #825916 by Kurious Jo
Jan 21, 2014 3:08am
Thread
Oh, I love getting a carton of multicolored eggs at the farmers market. I have a friend with all kinds of ducks, quail, chickens and young children. Teacher sent a note complaining that girl kept insisting there COULD be green eggs and ham.

And thank you.
Re: Links from LbNA
Reply to: #826596 by RIclimber
Jan 21, 2014 9:16am
Thread
I post the clues to all my boxes on AQ; you must be logged into see them. I would also like folks who have only been using LBNA to also be aware of my boxes, and maybe also join AQ. On LBNA, I link the box listing to the clue on AQ, but I write "You must be logged into AQ to view this clue" on the LBNA clue page as a heads-up to the restriction. Is that an OK work-around to the don't-post-restricted-boxes-on-other-websites rule? Your opinions appreciated.
Reply to: #826604 by Kelsung
Jan 21, 2014 9:46am
Thread
Well, the point is this: many people in Texas use LbNA exclusively. They are boxers I admire and respect. Since that is where they log finds and from where they receive new box notices, I list them there. However, I have boxes in state parks that predate the whole permitting fiasco, and I'd like the boxes to stay under the radar until I can permit or pull them (or not.) Hence the need for restrictions, which I can only get on LbNA by making all my clues word of mouth, which I don't want to do just yet, but am considering. I just want the listings limited to real boxers. Many of us use AQ and receive notices there and log finds there. That's the point. It's a situation probably unique to my area. But it would be more helpful to me if I could just get my questions answered rather than have to debate my intentions, which is why I posted it here and not somewhere else. So far, listing on LbNA and linking the clues to AQ is the only way to get what I need.
Re: Event Page Weather Report
Reply to: #826433 by Green Tortuga
Jan 21, 2014 10:26am
Thread
it shows a weather forecast when I created an event in Christchurch today.

Oh wow! When the weather widget first appeared, it was U.S. only, and I hadn't checked since. Cool!
Reply to: #826672 by Boxer Lover47
Jan 21, 2014 11:07am
Thread
I post the clues to all my boxes on AQ; you must be logged into see them.

Only if you restrict them. Unrestricted clues can be read by anyone, just like LbNA.

K
Reply to: #826698 by Kelsung
Jan 21, 2014 11:25am
Thread
Yes, I use the Everybody group.
Reply to: #826680 by Wry Me
Jan 21, 2014 1:00pm
Thread
But it would be more helpful to me if I could just get my questions answered rather than have to debate my intentions, which is why I posted it here a not somewhere else.

It's helpful to know one's intentions. Sometimes people describe what they're trying to do and we're left scratching our heads trying to understand why, and had we understood the why, we can better understand what you're trying to do--or suggest a completely different way of accomplishing your goal.

But let's all calm down... I sense a lot of anger in the last several posts and deleted a few of those. They aren't really accomplishing anything except getting everyone riled up anyhow.

As a general rule, I recommend that people don't link to restricted boxes on AQ from other websites because it really annoys people who get to it then find out that there's an extra hoop they have to jump through to get it.

I know, it doesn't seem like much to ask for someone to create an account and log in--it's free and relatively easy to do--and people who already have accounts probably aren't too bothered to simply log in. But for people who don't already have an account on AQ--and there are hobby letterboxers out there who don't log finds and therefore have never had any reason to create an account on AQ--who will find the process annoying. They like their anonymity, and they just don't like providing personal information to websites.

It happens, which is why I don't recommend linking to clues with restrictions of any sort, no matter how low and trivial they seem to be. It's just a recommendation, though. I'm not going to prohibit such a thing.

But I do have to confess to finding myself confused why you would list a box at all on LbNA if the purpose is to hide them from rangers. Admittedly, I've had the same problem with Washington State Parks--I planted some boxes before regulations existed and now permits are required, and I restricted those so I wouldn't have to hassle with park rangers complaining about them being there without a permit. I've slowly been removing them whenever I'm in the area.

But I can't think of any scenario where I could list them on LbNA and not have the park rangers find them.

-- Ryan
Re: Event Page Weather Report
Reply to: #826691 by 55 Steps
Jan 21, 2014 1:06pm
Thread
When the weather widget first appeared, it was U.S. only, and I hadn't checked since. Cool!

I'm on my third weather provider because they keep changing their policies to start charging ungodly amounts of money for it. (Sometimes hundreds of dollars per month! I can't afford that!)

So support and functionality changes each time I've changed service providers. But it's supported world-wide locations for quite awhile now.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #826740 by Green Tortuga
Jan 21, 2014 2:13pm
Thread
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but it was supposed to be a secret, so I came up w/ as similar an idea as I could. I suppose it IS annoying to click on a clue and then not be able to access it, but I think it matters less if one clearly states in the LbNA body above the link that it is a WOM clue. Then they're not really expecting any actual clues. Now, it's not restricted, it's just WOM. No clues and not listing the park as the location should go a long way toward hiding it from the rangers, as well.

We had a well-known boxer who worked extensively with the park service people here when the whole permitting thing first came up. Their permitting process wasn't applicable to letterboxing (and still isn't, asking for GPS coordinates, for one thing), was cumbersome (pre-approval of location after the ranger checked it) and time-consuming and he was trying to fix that. He went all the way to the upper echelons of the park service muckety mucks finally to be told that our hobby had so little impact on the parks and was so inconsequential that they weren't really worried about policing our boxes. Or something to that effect. I wasn't there and am paraphrasing as I've heard it told to me. I haven't heard of this happening anywhere else, but of course, I could be mistaken. It seemed unique to Texas when I said it.

My boxes were planted in the happy honeymoon hiatus of this tacit approval/indifference and the current "friendly reminder" emails we get forwarded to us from time to time on LbNA. At least as far as I know. Or am willing to admit. Should I choose to leave my boxes to their fate and they are pulled, well, that will suck, for sure, but I'm in no position to complain, I guess. That doesn't mean I have to make it easy on them.

The real reason I asked, ironically, has nothing to do with that, but the situation is similar in that I still have the whole LbNA issue. It would give someone an idea of what I wanted w/ out giving away my nefarious plans. The theme is Naughty & Nice, so I may be thinking pin-up or something else. I may be thinking that I don't want nice people accidentally getting the naughty clues -- something along those lines -- for which restrictions might be helpful. I want to accommodate our LbNA users, so if they can bypass the whitelist just by clicking a link from LbNA, that foils my nascent plans. Also, they're all lurking around here, so I didn't want really to outline it even as much as I have, darn it!

It may not work out anyway, but if LbNA links bypass my restrictions, it won't work at all and I don't need to spend any more time thinking about it. Hence, the question. Thank you to everyone who suggested I actually close my browser to test it, or tried to help me out. I logged out of both sites, but did not do that. I'll test it later. Thanks so much.
Reply to: #826603 by JampersandJ
Jan 21, 2014 2:30pm
Thread
Thank you!
Purple shadow on Reply message
Jan 22, 2014 1:00pm
Thread
If this has been answered it means i'm too lazy to go through all the posts.
Is the purple shadowing on the reply box new?

deniserows
red and purple a lot
Re: Purple shadow on Reply message
Reply to: #826979 by deniserows
Jan 22, 2014 1:02pm
Thread
Yup, it's new.
Purple box *and* getting logged out
Jan 23, 2014 2:26pm
Thread
I am all of a sudden getting the purple box around messages I reply to...on my laptop, not a mobile device....any idea why?

and.....I was logged out at some point this afternoon and had to sign back in.....no I didn't delete cookies...did nothing.

MM
Re: Purple box *and* getting logged out
Reply to: #827184 by MissMoon
Jan 23, 2014 2:31pm
Thread
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=826015 This help?

Not sure about getting logged out however
Reply to: #827184 by MissMoon
Jan 23, 2014 4:35pm
Thread
If you stay logged on all the time (like me) AQ may bump you off when doing some kind of big update or when backing things up. From my phone I get logged out every few days. But I think my phone has been logged into LbNA for a couple years.

K
Reply to: #827185 by turkey feathers
Jan 23, 2014 4:35pm
Thread
Oh.
Reply to: #827206 by Kelsung
Jan 23, 2014 5:48pm
Thread
If you stay logged on all the time (like me) AQ may bump you off when doing some kind of big update or when backing things up. From my phone I get logged out every few days.

I'm not sure why you'd be logged out every few days. In theory, if you check the box to stay logged in, you'll stay logged in indefinitely. Even if I do a big update or backup--neither of those should matter. The cookies to make this happen do expire after a year, but I *think* I set it up so the expiration date is pushed out to a full year from the last time you used the site. Admittedly, I could be wrong about that--I'd have to look at the code to be sure.

So... I'm not sure what would cause the logging out to happen. Well, okay, technically, you're logged out whenever you don't use the site for more than about 4 hours or so, so when you visit the site after that, you're automatically logged back in. So you're constantly logging out and in--you just don't have to click the buttons or enter information to make it happen.

There could be all sorts of reasons for why you don't get logged back in automatically, though. Browser upgrade, privacy settings, or even anti-virus software or something could theoretically cause it. For some reason, my browser auto-logs me out of all of the websites I use about once a week or so. I'm not sure really why either! Something is going in and messing with all of my cookies, though!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #827216 by Green Tortuga
Jan 23, 2014 6:00pm
Thread
On my phone, I have "remember me" checked, but I have to log in manually every time. I did get logged out on my laptop a day or so ago also. I usually don't have issues with my iPad.
This day in history
Jan 24, 2014 10:44am
Thread
Will this make tomorrow's listing? This was the only time school shut down when I was growing up. People here complain about the severe cold and wind chills now (with many 2-hr delays and full closures), so I think a little historical perspective is needed. My nephew doesn't want to go to school in July! I want to get out and letterbox, but I'm stuck inside solving puzzles.
Re: This day in history
Reply to: #827387 by speedsquare
Jan 24, 2014 10:48am
Thread
It is not currently listed as one of the events for tomorrow.

TG
Jan 24, 2014 11:09am
Thread
Oh yes, I remember that VERY well! I seem to recall one night it got down to -85* wind chill. My (stupid) brother was out driving in it and the car literally froze up and died in the middle of the road. 2:00 AM, I answer the phone. He told me what happened, and where he was; to wake up Dad and come get him. I asked him, "Do I have to wake up Dad?" His reply: "Do NOT come out in this alone!"

He, being 18 (all teenagers think that they are invincible!) of course, had very little clothing to put on. He walked to a nearby farmhouse. The owners wouldn't come to the door. So, he walked to the next one and was greeted by a shotgun, but the owners did let him in (after much begging from my brother). He was darned lucky he didn't die from exposure!!--or a GSW.
Jan 24, 2014 11:40am
Thread
Thanks I found that article interesting because I knew nothing of it. I was stationed in Japan at the time and this type of news never reached us.
Reply to: #827399 by Colorful Caterpillars
Jan 25, 2014 10:04am
Thread
Oh yes, I remember that VERY well!

I remember it too. I left work early, and walked home. By the time I got home (about 6 or 7 blocks), I had an inch of ice on my face. The next morning, I woke up to find drifts so high that I could jump out my window (I lived on the second story). A friend who lived nearby (on the ground floor) had to dig a tunnel through the drifts just to get out of her house. The entire city shut down for two weeks, during which time I could not find my car, which was buried in snow by the side of the road.
Reply to: #827513 by 55 Steps
Jan 25, 2014 9:39pm
Thread
Wait a minute! Aren't you in New Zealand?
Reply to: #827583 by Kirbert
Jan 26, 2014 10:00am
Thread
Wait a minute! Aren't you in New Zealand?

Yes, but I was not born here. I'm a dual-national.
Reply to: #827222 by mom2sage
Jan 26, 2014 11:36am
Thread
On my phone, I have "remember me" checked, but I have to log in manually every time

Check to see if you accidentally clicked "private browsing". I was having this problem and Googled it. That was a suggestion I read, and sure enough that was it.

K
Re: Blocking Other States From Search?
Reply to: #820001 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 26, 2014 2:46pm
Thread
I don't get why that's funny. But thanks, I'll be here all night! Leave a tip in the jar on your way out. :)
Jan 26, 2014 4:12pm
Thread
i remember this one two weeks later. we didn't go to school for a week, lost power for 4 days. that was the most snow i had EVER seen in my life up to that point, having moved back to New England about 5 years earlier after my dad got out of the Navy.

That was a LOT of snow. . .

~tigs
Reply to: #827697 by tiggermama
Jan 27, 2014 6:49am
Thread
I remember the February one too. I was in college. They never closed. They were closed that week. The governor of Massachusetts would not let anyone travel until everything was cleared up.
PAL Day Counts
Jan 27, 2014 10:40am
Thread
So, I've been thinking about PAL Day. Last there, there were a few problems with a surprisingly large number of accusations of "cheating" being thrown around, and I'd like to prevent that this year. So I'm thinking about what sorts of new rules and "regulations" to put in place to make sure everyone plays fair.

As a disclaimer: These only refer to the state-by-state counts since that's where the "competing" goes on. Some boxes that may not count towards a state may still count in the overall totals.

1. Only boxes with no restrictions will be counted. For people to believe the numbers are true and accurate, they have to be able to see your listings and verify for themselves that they're real boxes and not fake ones.
  2. Only boxes with clues will be counted. If it doesn't have a clue, how do we really know it even exists? They have to be clues that anyone can print out and search for the day it's listed. WOM boxes, or "under my couch", etc.... those won't count.
  3. I'd like also limit the number of boxes that will be counted on a specific account. I'm flexible on exactly what the limit it (I'm thinking 10-20 seems reasonable), but I'm open to discussion. The reason for this limitation is that PAL Day is short for Plant a Letterbox DAY. Some people last year had been hiding boxes for weeks (or maybe even months?) which I feel is completely not in the spirit of the event. I understand that some people have to work and just can't get out of it on the "day of" of the event which is why I've allowed boxes that are listed shortly before and after the event to still count. But in the spirit of Plant a Letterbox Day, they should at least all be planted on a single day, and when I see an individual having listed several dozen boxes on a single day.... well, call me skeptical, but I don't really believe it. The most I've planted in a single day was 10 and it took me all friggin' day to do it! (Not to mention that I had pre-carved all of the stamps and created logbooks well before I actually planted them.) Admittedly, if I hid them closer to each other, I probably could have gotten in more, but the quality would have suffered. Not to mention that I'd like to see state counts be a "group effort"--not steamrolled by one or two people who'd been planting boxes for weeks or months in advance.
  4. The list date of a reserved box is updated to the current date when it's changed into a traditional box. I'm going to start saving the date that the reserved box was first created, and it too will need to fall within the required timeframe to count.
  5. What is the timeframe? Previously, I've tried to include the weekend before and event the day of the event, but I'm going to narrow it down to the day before and after. So in this case, the boxes need to be planted and listed between May 23-25th. Even though there are 3 days that would count, however, in the spirit of the event, all of your plants should happen on one day. The 24th if you can swing it, and either the 23rd or 25th if you can't.
  6. I reserve the right to disqualify any other "suspicious" listings from being counted that come to my attention on a case-by-case basis.

And remember--this is supposed to be a friendly competition. If you're stressing out over it and working hard to make sure your state "wins," you're doing it wrong. =)

I'm open to other suggestions about how to make this year run a little more smoothly than last year. These are just the ideas I've come up with. I'm not really a big proponent of rules in general and would have preferred not to create any, but after last year's fiasco, it seems like we need a few now.

-- Ryan