A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Atlas Quest Announcements

Re: Publishing on AQ.....?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #822645 by Sunia
Jan 17, 2014 2:10pm
Thread
How fun! My neighbor teaches a Ukiraniun (sp?) egg class. She made one for me with fish on it that is simular to yours.
I have chickens and I am saving eggs for her. She especially likes the blue & green ones that my Americana's lay.

It's always fun to see artist's work!
Re: AQ Site Language Options.
Reply to: #825657 by DeeCee
Jan 17, 2014 2:38pm
Thread
Please do not make me have to press 1 for English on AQ.

Aw, 1 isn't so bad. It's when they say press 3 that I worry. :-)
Reply to: #825470 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2014 3:12pm
Thread
In my last job I worked for a high-tech company managing the user documentation. That included translating into 35 languages. 35 - can you believe that!? So come on Ryan - it's only *one* language! LoL!!!

Well really it's a lot of work. Everything was developed in English and then sent out to a translation firm. Translators had to come up language specific terms that hadn't been thought of yet. And then when we thought we were done the product function would change . . . and the English needed to be re-written and sent out . . . . and then there would be a time crunch with getting everything to production and then . . . oh gosh, I better stop. I'm going to have night mares tonight. LoL!!

Anyway . . . . the languages have different accents and special characters that take special keyboards and sometimes those characters messed with implementing it into the driver software. But that's nothing compared to Japanese, Chinese, Korean . . and Arabic. Oh Arabic - they read a book from the opposite direction than we do. So the front cover is on what we consider to be the back cover. Printing was fun on that one. Okay, you all are responsible for taking me down memory lane here. 8-0

But yes, support would be tricky. Unless you wanted to do something like this:
1) member to Spanish translator
2) translator to GT
3) GT to translator
4) translator to member
5) go to 1 and repeat . . . over and over again.

But hey, on the flip side it could be a great plan to learn Spanish, right!?! :-)
Perhaps Wassa could manage it . . . ? It really does sound like it could be a fun new challenge.

Anyway thanks for bringing back the memories! . . . I think. :-)
Reply to: #825927 by Kurious Jo
Jan 17, 2014 4:53pm
Thread
Perhaps Wassa could manage it . . . ? It really does sound like it could be a fun new challenge.

Sure Wassa could manage it. Moose and sqvirrel can do anything.
Reply to: #825657 by DeeCee
Jan 17, 2014 5:08pm
Thread
Please do not make me have to press 1 for English on AQ.

Aprima numero 2 para Español.

Seriously though, there is a negotiation that can occur between your browser and a web site. If there are multiple language versions available on a web site, the browser tells the site which version to send. You probably don't know about it because your browser defaulted to the correct language, English for you. I've set up English as primary, but Spanish is secondary.

Well, most browsers have it, but I can't find the language settings on Chrome on my tablet. Firefox help on my tablet says that language is chosen when I chose which version to download. I'm upgrading my desktop right now so I can't check there, but I've done the above selections there.
Re: The look on AQ
Reply to: #825782 by MichKathy
Jan 18, 2014 12:05am
Thread
Yes, but Microsoft has said that they will no longer support XP after April.

It doesn't help matters when, apparently, upgrading is not easy. A friend recently did so and had a lot of trouble. Make very, very sure you have all your important stuff backed up before you upgrade.

As for me, when my XP proves no longer functional, I'll probably upgrade -- to Linux. I've just about had it with Windows. The only reason I haven't already gone to Linux is because I'm sure it'd be six months before I was fully operational once again -- but that'd apparently be true updating to the new Windows as well, so as long as I have to go through the learning process it might as well be a change to a likeable OS.
Event Page Weather Report
Jan 18, 2014 7:53pm
Thread
I have to say I am not a fan of the weather report on the event page.. I had at least 10 people cancel on the blahs for fear of weather issues.. the weather app thingy on AQ did not remotely match the local weather for the day of the event.

It is just too much information on the event page, I would make a suggestion of removing it.

MushrooM
Phil Everly
Jan 19, 2014 7:04am
Time to update the database: Phil Everly died two weeks ago. As such, he did not turn 75 today. :)
Re: Event Page Weather Report
Reply to: #826119 by MushrooM
Jan 19, 2014 8:48am
Thread
Ditto.

If people want that information they can visit the Weather Channel and check out the info for the town.

On a side note Direct TV eliminated The Weather Channel and have replaced it with Weather Nation which is pitiful. Basically a contract negotiation breakdown.
Jan 19, 2014 4:24pm
Thread
Actually, I do enjoy the weather report a week before an event. It gives me a general idea of what to pack. Even if it is incorrect, the local weatherman can be very wrong on the next day forecast too. Please keep the weather report. We can use the TV and all sources available along with it.
Jan 19, 2014 5:33pm
Thread
I had at least 10 people cancel on the blahs for fear of weather issues..

And you don't think they wouldn't have been able to get a weather forecast somewhere else? I can't say it surprises me that people might not go to an event if they think the weather is going to be bad, but I'm a little doubtful that everyone who goes to an event isn't going to see a weather forecast before going.

I know I always like to check the weather before going to an outdoor event--I need to know what (and how much) to wear! You won't like having me around if it's freezing outsize and I'm wearing a T-shirt. =)

Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable, but it does occur to me that displaying a daily forecast for a specific time.... I should display the forecast for the hour the event starts which I can have it do about a day beforehand. Weather forecasts that are a week ahead.... are admittedly pretty useless. Perhaps I should only display them a few days ahead instead.

But anyhow.... you can try to hide weather information from people, but people are going to get it whether you like it or not. They'll see it on TV, or hear it on the radio. It might not be perfect, but it seems like a bad idea for people to show up at events without really having any idea of what kind of weather to expect!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #826280 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2014 6:07pm
Thread
But anyhow.... you can try to hide weather information from people, but people are going to get it whether you like it or not. They'll see it on TV, or hear it on the radio. It might not be perfect, but it seems like a bad idea for people to show up at events without really having any idea of what kind of weather to expect!

Seriously Ryan I have no clue what the hell you are saying here... I WAS NOT SUGGESTING HIDING THE WEATHER report I was just noting that several folks mentioned the AQ REPORT which did not match other local forecasts and the icon showed what looked like heavy rain but when you clicked on it is said light scattered precipitation.. I only suggest that it is a highly inaccurate service (and because it is on AQ it is gospel) but WHATEVER .. why listen to someone who actually runs an event.

M.
Reply to: #826292 by MushrooM
Jan 19, 2014 6:34pm
Thread
I WAS NOT SUGGESTING HIDING THE WEATHER report

I'm sorry I misunderstood you. It sounded like you didn't want a weather report on the event page.

I only suggest that it is a highly inaccurate service

One anecdotal incident isn't really all that convincing. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but nobody has a 100% reliable weather forecast. I could switch to the Weather Channel data feed, but then people would complain that it's not very accurate. (And, in fact, people did when I used to used that feed.) I could switch to the Weather Underground, but they haven't always been accurate either. (Which did, in fact, happen.)

If you know of a weather feed that's always accurate, I'd love to know about it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting that I should do. Removing the weather on an event page doesn't mean people are going to get better weather forecasts.

Although, more interesting, there are a lot more "agrees" to your post than "disagrees," which suggests to me that people just aren't interested in weather forecasts on AQ. It doesn't really bother me, but if there's a large majority of people who would prefer not to see it, I would certainly get rid of it. You're one voice among many--I have to consider everyone, though.

why listen to someone who actually runs an event.

I'm listening, and I'm trying to explain my point of view and have a discussion. I've run more than one event myself, but apparently my opinion doesn't matter to you. I feel like you're just baiting me now.

I'm listening, but you have to convince me. One bad weather forecast isn't very convincing. Sorry. =(

-- Ryan
Reply to: #826305 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2014 6:47pm
Thread
I was suggesting removing the weather report from the event page....

.. ... not trying to bait.. you can take my suggestion or not but I feel that most of us know to check the weather when we are heading out why make people second guess attending an event five days beforehand?

Since I won't be doing an event next year it doesn't really affect me *shrug* forget I made a suggestion..

M.
Jan 20, 2014 3:49am
Thread
10 people cancelling a winter outside event because of possible snow? Well, it wasn't a snowstorm like it was...4? years ago. But, my little Civic did fishtale once on the way to the trails because the streets weren't plowed yet. So, for those people who don't like to drive in the snow, maybe it was a good decision to stay home. But, we knew ahead of time how to dress, kept an eye on the other weather sites for accuracy/confirmation. Honestly, I have hosted events and people cancel for any excuse they think won't upset me. If I'm feeling lazy and whatnot, I might blame it on the weather or health when it's only partially for those reasons. Your event was great and it's sad that people missed it but I wouldn't give full credit to the weather or a weather app.
Reply to: #826313 by MushrooM
Jan 20, 2014 5:04am
Thread
If you live in the New York, NJ, CT area, I really recommend Tri-State Weather on Facebook (yes, I know it is not AQ related, but it is a really excellent service).

Tomorrow, we are getting some significant snow. The mainstream news began talking about it last night. Tri-State weather began warning everyone about five days ago. They are pretty accurate, and run by real meteorologists.

Just something people could use to look at long range forecasts, especially for outdoor events in our area.

Jaxx
Jan 20, 2014 9:42am
Thread
I'm listening, but you have to convince me.

Okay, I will weigh in on the side of MushrooM here. I'm pretty neutral here, because your weather reports don't even cover New Zealand.

One anecdotal incident is enough to demonstrate that some people will be disuaded from going to an event because of the weather report.

The weather feed you are using is probably no more or less accurate than any other, but in any place with variable weather, weather prediction is notoriously inaccurate.

This means that having an in-your-face weather report on the event page may, indeed, disuade people from attending an event. It's a question of salience. People can always check the weather report on their own, but having it right there on the event page means even people who normally couldn't be bothered will see it there.

It might be a worthwhile suggestion to allow the event organiser to decide whether the weather report appears on the event page. Atlas Quest has so many options like that (e.g. whether to show attempts), this would be a nice one.
Reply to: #826417 by 55 Steps
Jan 20, 2014 10:30am
Thread
because your weather reports don't even cover New Zealand.

Are you sure about that? I couldn't test it on the live site since there don't appear to be any New Zealand events listed, but I tried it on my development site and it shows a weather forecast when I created an event in Christchurch today. (It shows High: 64°F, Low: 56°F, Chance of Rain: 86%, Cloud Cover: 93% -- I don't have any way of checking if that's accurate, though, since I'm not in Christchurch!)

It might be a worthwhile suggestion to allow the event organiser to decide whether the weather report appears on the event page.

You might be right about that, but what about people who want to see the weather forecast on the event page? Should they have an option to override the event organizer's request not to display the forecast? Although if that option existed, it would make the event organizer's option kind of pointless. So I could let the event organizer choose whether they prefer the weather forecast to be displayed or not, and then individual accounts can choose if they want to see it or not see it, and if the individual doesn't make a preference, let it default to the event organizer's preference.

Which seems a little complicated, but it does seem more than fair. Event organizer's can hide weather forecasts they don't like, unless the individually deliberately overrides that. Or the event organizer can display a weather forecast... unless the individual deliberately overrides that. Everyone gets what they want! =) Seems like a lot of work to implement. Let me think about it.... I might do that, but it'll likely be at least a couple of weeks if I do.

-- Ryan
Jan 20, 2014 3:30pm
Thread
I do have a winter event scheduled for March (Ides of March on March 15th Martinsburg, WV "shameless plug") and am concerned about weather and will be making indoor backup plans in case of the worst and if anyone would show up in nasty weather.

The weather forecast up on my event site lists the following for tomorrow with a snow symbol:

"Heavy snow (5â€"8 in) until evening". Some rather odd symbols in there for what appears to be a forecast of 5-8 inches of snow. That now matches the Weather Channel although it was 1-3 inches at lunchtime. I know it changes real time but it is something I would be checking routinely if planning to attend.

One thing that isn't correct is 100% change of rain. It doesn't say precipitation but only rain. Not sure if that is a glitch of the site you are linking or something that can be changed.

So if keeping it, can it be tweaked to change the strange symbols?

Thanks IR
Reply to: #826485 by IrishRef
Jan 20, 2014 6:54pm
Thread
Some rather odd symbols in there for what appears to be a forecast of 5-8 inches of snow.

Hmm... Yeah, that doesn't look right. Probably a problem with incompatible character sets. Let me see what I can do.... That's definitely a bug!

-- Ryan
Jan 20, 2014 7:08pm
Thread
one of the most interesting things about this whole thread is that I mentioned to another (long time) letterboxer that I was going to make this suggestion.. and they called almost post-for-post what would happen.. but I went ahead anyhow.. I should listen to my elders ;)

M.
Links from LbNA
Jan 20, 2014 8:46pm
Thread
Why do links from LbNA not require the user to login to AQ? It's circumventing the Everybody (must be logged in) restriction on my boxes.
Re: Links from LbNA
Reply to: #826594 by Wry Me
Jan 20, 2014 8:54pm
Thread
I think Ryan said something about not posting restricted boxes on other sites because it's rude to tease them knowing something is there but can't see it. If you want it restricted, don't post it on LbNA
Reply to: #826596 by RIclimber
Jan 20, 2014 8:55pm
Thread
I just want them to be members and logged in on most of them.
Reply to: #826594 by Wry Me
Jan 20, 2014 9:31pm
Thread
Why do links from LbNA not require the user to login to AQ? It's circumventing the Everybody (must be logged in) restriction on my boxes.

Actually, your restricted boxes are safe! If you quit your browser (not just close the window) and go to LbNA first, it does require a log in to AQ to see your restricted clue. What happens is if you log in to AQ first, and then go to LbNA, your browser remembers that you have already logged in to AQ and so it gives you access.

I was perplexed with this at first when creating a restricted box, but then "pretended" to be a casual looker/non-member looking for clues on both LbNA & AQ, and the restrictions kept me from seeing a lot of boxes.
Reply to: #826600 by JampersandJ
Jan 20, 2014 9:51pm
Thread
I tried logging out, but what you're saying is that's not enough, I actually need to close my browser?
Reply to: #826601 by Wry Me
Jan 20, 2014 10:39pm
Thread
Actually, I've never logged out of AQ (!). I just quit my browsers (I'm on a Mac, and use Safari and Firefox.) at the end of the day.
========
But when I do close those browsers, and then open them again, and go to LbNA and just do a search on letterboxes, those "Everybody" boxes will not show the clues. I get the You must be logged in to access that webpage. Please register or login below. AQ page.

If I go to AQ and do a letterbox search, then the "Everybody" and the "P/F" restricted boxes do not show up.
======
Play around with it, or have someone you know (a non-letterboxer) go to either site on their computer, and see if they can find your restricted boxes.

Good luck!
Reply to: #826597 by Wry Me
Jan 20, 2014 11:20pm
Thread
I just want them to be members and logged in on most of them.

If they are, they can find the clue here. Don't list restricted boxes on other sites. It clearly states this on the restrictions page when adding a box. Besides, what's the point?

K
Re: Publishing on AQ.....?
Reply to: #825916 by Kurious Jo
Jan 21, 2014 3:08am
Thread
Oh, I love getting a carton of multicolored eggs at the farmers market. I have a friend with all kinds of ducks, quail, chickens and young children. Teacher sent a note complaining that girl kept insisting there COULD be green eggs and ham.

And thank you.
Reply to: #826596 by RIclimber
Jan 21, 2014 9:16am
Thread
I post the clues to all my boxes on AQ; you must be logged into see them. I would also like folks who have only been using LBNA to also be aware of my boxes, and maybe also join AQ. On LBNA, I link the box listing to the clue on AQ, but I write "You must be logged into AQ to view this clue" on the LBNA clue page as a heads-up to the restriction. Is that an OK work-around to the don't-post-restricted-boxes-on-other-websites rule? Your opinions appreciated.