A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Event News and Planning

Re: Mystery carver. May be event soon
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974327 by Witch Kittin
Apr 19, 2019 5:13pm
Thread
I'd be happy to purchase the elephant with the trunk raised upward. Will also cover postage.

Thank you.
14th Annual Plant a Letterbox Day (PAL)
Apr 23, 2019 9:01am
Thread
The event is now up. I hope I'm not too late for the Finland boxers.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4176
Re: 14th Annual Plant a Letterbox Day (PAL)
Reply to: #974468 by Wronghat
Apr 23, 2019 10:38am
Thread
Don't worry, in a country where it's daylight 24/7 there's no such thing as "too late" :D
Egg Hunt 2019
Apr 27, 2019 3:20pm
Thread
Three Cheers for Warrior Woman! Best egg hunt yet. We had a blast and I love your new hiding places. Thanks for opening your home to us.

PuggleMom
Re: Egg Hunt 2019
Reply to: #974677 by PuggleMom
Apr 29, 2019 6:01am
Thread
Yes, it was a fantastic time! The clues were just challenging enough that we found some without them, some easily with them, and were left puzzling over just a few.

Thank you so much for hosting again!

I'll be hanging out with Ren and Stumpy, my new cacti, too.

~Honeychyck
Tour the Fort X - Fort Knox
May 21, 2019 3:42am
Thread
Wanted to let everyone know that there is a Ghost Tour available at the fort the evening after the event. Info here:
https://www.fortknoxmaine.com/ghost-tours
Re: Tour the Fort X - Fort Knox
Reply to: #975343 by SherlockMiles
May 21, 2019 3:55pm
Thread
Darn! I went to take a look and it's sold out!

Jiffy
PAL Widget error?
May 25, 2019 7:09pm
Thread
Ryan:
Is the Widget counting boxes listed on May 25 but with plant dates of May 24th for PAL day totals? https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=305285 does not show and I see no restrictions on it.
Re: PAL Widget error?
Reply to: #975495 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 7:49pm
Thread
I was wondering if having coordinates versus a specific written address makes a difference for the PAL widget listing? I planted three boxes yesterday, listed them today, and they have coordinates and are not showing on the PAL widget list. Thoughts?
Reply to: #975497 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:03pm
Thread
I bet you're right and the widget needs an address so it knows where to count the box.
Reply to: #975499 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 8:07pm
Thread
It is just ironic because coordinates are far more specific than an address is AND none of the three box locations will take an address (nor did they have cell service which prevented my listing them on 5/24).
Reply to: #975501 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:09pm
Thread
but they all have a state--that's what the widget needs to know. After the coordinates can you somehow stick in a state name. Hurry, only 4 hours left on the Pacific coast.
Reply to: #975502 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 8:16pm
Thread
Nope, won't let you add a state with the coordinates. Listing the closest reservoir (Hills Creek) is too far from most of them for my tastes. Coordinates are absolutely in the state of Oregon though, but hey, such is life.
Reply to: #975503 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:19pm
Thread
Still they should be counting as international mystery boxes! I don't see any mysteries this year and I know there were some in the past. Hmmm--no EEvil boxes--yet.
Reply to: #975503 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 9:08pm
Thread
How about Larison Creek Trailhead, Oregon?
Reply to: #975505 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 9:11pm
Thread
That one worked....it is close enough to the box AND it added it to the widget :)
Reply to: #975501 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 11:50pm
Thread
It is just ironic because coordinates are far more specific than an address is AND none of the three box locations will take an address

AQ literally has absolutely no idea where the boundaries of states are. I could give you random coordinates around the world and you'd probably struggle to guess what country they were in without looking it up on the Internet! A coordinate is just a number to AQ with no inherit meaning except in comparison to other numbers.

Not to mention that all boxes have a coordinate assigned to them--including mystery boxes. A world-wide mystery, for instance, is assigned the coordinate 0,0. A US mystery is assigned the coordinate 39.4959, -98.9899 which happens to lie in Kansas... but the actual box probably isn't in Kansas.

So in a nutshell, coordinates by themselves aren't enough for AQ to know what state the letterbox is located in.

But it seems like you should be able to create a custom location if a specific location doesn't work on AQ. That's what custom locations are supposed to handle--when the geocoders can't otherwise figure out the location of where you hid a box.

You have to provide all of the information about the location, though, including the coordinates and geographical boundaries it lies within. The coordinates are used for distance searches while the geographical boundaries are used for area searches (which is what the PAL Day widget is running).

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975507 by Green Tortuga
May 26, 2019 3:58am
Thread
Ryan, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense the geographical decoders for coordinates versus addresses differ. Also, thank you for giving the boxes addresses!!!
I appreciate you and all you do to help this hobby be fun while educating about behind the scene coding when nuances like these occur.
Interestingly the three boxes planted were part of me trying tips you listed in your The Biggest Update You've Never Seen! Blog, specifically the Backcountry Water site. I have at various times tried untreated water from rivers, lakes, the ocean - via wave dunkings - throughout my life but, like so many, over-worried to the point of missing out on some good sources of clean water. Not this trip! I drank from two gushing mountain springs that were amazing!! ๐Ÿ˜€. I also avoided potential algae bloom lake water too! Great tips, keep them coming!

Jeff
2019 Letterboxers' Christmas Event
May 31, 2019 9:23am
Sorry for the delay, but the event is now listed. Here is a link to it:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4191

Hope you can attend.

Ray and Susan
Happydaze
Prepping for Big Top on the Prairie
Jun 10, 2019 11:19am
Thread
Hey, there! I just wanted to mention that Netflix has a 2-part series called The Circus, produced for PBS, that is IMO really wonderful and full of history and footage about the creation, development, and history of the circus. It has really ramped up my excitement about the event, and given me a deeper perspective & appreciation for the Big Top...check it out!!๐Ÿคก๐Ÿคนโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Re: Prepping for Big Top on the Prairie
Reply to: #976164 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jun 10, 2019 11:53am
Thread
I am glad you are doing your homework. I will have to check it out it sounds really interesting.

I hope our plans somewhat match up to history in how things could be done.

Regardless we have a lot of fun and a lot of boxes that will be ready for you.

Looking forward to a weekend with all of our circus goers.
Jun 10, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
My son-in-law told me about one (since and my daughter lived on the train and traveled with Ringling until they closed) but I didn't know about the 2nd (or the 1st - not sure which one I saw). Do you know when it will be on again?
Reply to: #976178 by Topcollector
Jun 10, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
I don't know when it will show again on PBS, but it is available now to view on Netflix, if you have access to that.
Jun 10, 2019 2:59pm
Thread
YES! It's a great program!
Reply to: #976184 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jun 10, 2019 4:38pm
Thread
I looked and the one I saw was the Ringling Brothers Final Show. A different show. I found it on On Demand, but now I can't find the station anymore.
Big Horn Boxers Event
Jun 13, 2019 1:36pm
Thread
If you are in Montana...I mean southeast Montana...this week, consider coming to my event. Lots of spots still open. All new boxes devoted to Native American Bead Designs...hand carved stamps.
Re: Big Horn Boxers Event
Reply to: #976320 by CatsPJs
Jun 13, 2019 1:45pm
Thread
Will those boxes be permanent plants? I may have a chance to get them later in the year.
Re: Big Horn Boxers Event
Reply to: #976321 by Maude
Jun 13, 2019 4:20pm
Thread
Yes, they will be.
Stamp Tracker Set Up
Jun 15, 2019 5:45am
As per someone's suggestion on Fb whose trail name I do not know, I set up a tracker for the Things We Are Afraid Of stamps. We could still use stamps, so please check it out! Thank you.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10249
Need Stamps for Upcoming Event
Jun 16, 2019 7:48pm
Thread
I need gnomes for m upcoming Christmas event. Here is the link if you'd like to help out.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10157