A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Logbook Logistics

Re: Checking PTs
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #975077 by Topcollector
May 10, 2019 12:14pm
Thread
At the request of an event host, I tried to check the status of my PTs in my logbook, but see that I can no longer do that without opening up every stamp. Dozens of stamps. Never ran into this problem before. Arrgh.

It's called an AQ "update".
Replanting an event stamp
May 12, 2019 7:05am
Thread
Any protocol about replanting a table top? I figured I'd keep the logbook and make sure local stampers that already got it at the event wouldnt mistake it for a new stamp. But I'm not sure I can keep the same registration number. Before I go changing things, is there a correct way?
Re: Replanting an event stamp
Reply to: #975161 by bigredroyaloak
May 12, 2019 7:54am
Thread
Good idea ~ get the stamp out for more finders! Do it like this, though, so future finders aren't confused about what kind of box it is.

Retire the event box listing, and edit the clue to say it's now planting in the wild. You can't change the type of box any other way.

Make a new listing for the new traditional box, and also mention in that clue that it's a former event stamp. That will give people who've already found it fair warning that they've seen it before. If you can alter the name of the box a little bit when you make the new listing, then no one will get them mixed up when they go to log a find.
May 12, 2019 8:48am
Thread
Just mention in the clue that the box was a former tabletop at such & such event. Then anyone who was at said event can decide whether or not to go after it. I think this is a great way to give a box additional life.
May 12, 2019 3:35pm
Thread
Sometimes you can modify the stamp a little bit so that the planted stamp ends up a bit different than the table top stamp. For example, the table top stamp could have the name of the event across the bottom of the image, then for permanent planting this name could be sliced off. Or you could alter the image itself somehow.

I'd still mention the re-use in the clue listing, but an altered stamp would give finders an excuse to come find it again.
homemade paper good for logbooks?
Jun 16, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
I have used leaves and birchbark to make homemade paper in the past it makes really interesting paper that I found to be firm and durable (you can write on it with pencil and it shows up fine) however I have not made the paper for a while and was wondering if it would be too textured for stamps? If anyone knows more about this type of paper could they please let me know if I am remembering the paper correctly Its something I want to do with my daughter and I think she would enjoy making something with natural materials (she loves drawing with the nature pencils at her music lesson)
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 16, 2019 7:56pm
Thread
I have made homemade paper before, and I don't think it would be suitable for a logbook. In addition to the surface not being smooth enough for a good, stamped image, it also wouldn't have the "sizing" used in commercially-produced paper. When I used unsized papers in the past, I found the ink was absorbed into the paper, and all but disappeared. The sizing somewhat seals the paper, so the ink dries on the surface. I hope that helps?
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 17, 2019 2:33am
Thread
You could use the homemade paper for a beautiful logbook cover.
unmarking a personal traveling find
Jun 29, 2019 11:03pm
Thread
I was adding notes after an event for personal travelers I didn't find yet hoping my answers would be there for the next event but instead they got automatically marked as found and then disappeared off of my page. I didn't realize that would happen until after it was too late. How do I undo this and mark these personal travelers as not found?
Re: unmarking a personal traveling find
Reply to: #976832 by PartyOf6Plus1
Jun 29, 2019 11:12pm
Thread
The same way you can delete any other find. Easiest way is go to your logbook, select “finds” and “travelers” then click the icon on the right that looks like a floppy disk with red circle/line thru it.
Re: unmarking a personal traveling find
Reply to: #976833 by Kelsung
Jun 29, 2019 11:14pm
Thread
Thank you so much!!!
Postcards, etc.
Jan 12, 2020 12:00pm
Thread
Hi Everyone,

Periodically, I try to de-clutter, so my kids will have to deal with less of our accumulated stuff when we pass. I ran across postcards of places we've visited and was going to recycle them, but as I looked at them, I saw potential logbook covers! Beautiful beaches, cityscapes, animals....

So, I still have them. They've just been moved to to my letterboxing supplies. (>.<)
Re: Postcards, etc.
Reply to: #982481 by JampersandJ
Jan 12, 2020 12:03pm
Thread
Interesting. I, too, have a shoebox of old postcards. I have not yet made nor even seen a hand made logbook. I look forward to a future use of them.
Reply to: #982481 by JampersandJ
Jan 12, 2020 6:10pm
Thread
I have found post cards in letterboxes with word of mouth clues on them. In some cases, the address asking to leave in a different LB in the same state; traveling similar to a HH....
Reply to: #982482 by BinoBoxer
Jan 13, 2020 9:01am
Thread
I have not yet made nor even seen a hand made logbook.

Little hand made logbooks add a nice touch to the whole letterboxing experience, I think, especially if they are thematic with your stamp. They can be simply made at a very low cost.

I'm thinking I could do a series using the postcards as the theme - "Travels with J&J" or something like that. Each logbook would have a postcard image, and the stamp would relate to that postcard somehow. For example, Philly logbook + liberty bell stamp; Yellowstone logbook + geyser stamp, etc. If anyone wants to run with this idea, go ahead!
Reply to: #982492 by phynstar
Jan 13, 2020 9:05am
Thread
What a fun idea - a traveling postcard! Unfortunately, most of the boxes in our area are 3x4, so I would have trouble using my postcards that way.
Reply to: #982492 by phynstar
Jan 13, 2020 12:21pm
Thread
Oh my gosh, acid flashback to those old cuckoo clues. Jay Drew was notorious for that! MapLiner too, I believe (I think I only got one of those).

Warrior Woman
waxing nostalgic
just realized it’s my 20th year anniversary for letterboxing
Reply to: #982507 by JampersandJ
Jan 13, 2020 12:54pm
Thread
Excellent idea!
Reply to: #982510 by Warrior Woman
Jan 15, 2020 12:41am
Thread
And no one figured out my countdown was about you.
Did you know it was about you?

Happy 20th and thanks for letting me eavesdrop on your private conversation 12 years ago.
Reply to: #982558 by Grrly Girl
Jan 15, 2020 2:57am
Thread
Yes, I did but I was thrown by the Jean Shepard reference :-(

Warrior Woman
ain’t no honky tonk singer
Reply to: #982559 by Warrior Woman
Jan 15, 2020 3:52am
Thread
Wrong Jean Shepard.

Jean Shepard of radio fame and probably best known for writing and narrating "A Christmas Story".
Personal Logbook
Apr 6, 2020 11:49pm
Thread
I'm getting into letterboxing, and once this pandemic is over I'm going to buy myself and possibly my little sister and girlfriend a logbook. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions you might have. What size is best? Any specific brands you use? Bound or spiral? Any pitfalls or traps I should avoid?
Re: Personal Logbook
Reply to: #985491 by pixelteer425
Apr 7, 2020 2:24am
Thread
I'm looking for any tips or suggestions you might have.

I prefer sketch books with thicker white paper in them. Solid binders. Not ringed. Not remembering the brand. I find them in the art/paint section of our craft stores.
Apr 7, 2020 3:05am
Thread
Campfire Lady and Gargoyle Girl both used to make high quality custom logbooks. I have no idea if they still are, but it would be worth reaching out to them and asking!

I have tried many different types of logbooks. My favorite , but most time consuming, is to stamp on cardstock then mount into a photo album. You have to be relatively diligent about following through though...otherwise you may end up with a shoebox full of stamped pieces of paper..

My realistic compromise is a decent quality logbook--paper heavy enough to prevent the image from bleeding through, but not so porous as to allow the ink to blur when stamping. I prefer a style that allows me to flip the cover back rather than laying it open like a book, but also maintains the integrity of the binding--I hate it when my pages start working their way off a spiral binding!!

As far as size, I prefer 5x8 or 8.5x11.5. Bigger is too bulky to comfortable handle in the wild. I like to put several images on a page, or mount a picture from the adventure, so I don't care for the smaller sizes.

Some people like multiple logbooks--one for exchanges, one for events, etc. It is all about what works for you!
Apr 7, 2020 6:13am
Thread
Welcome to letterboxing, pixelteer425!

For a logbook, I like the Strathmore Mixed Media Series 300, 5.5 x 8.5 inches, a good size to fit in my backpack. It is spiral bound so you can open it flat and also flip it around. It has smooth paper so you can get a good image. The paper is 117 lb. so you can stamp on both sides without bleed. It is found other places, but it is convenient for me to buy it at Michael's either with a coupon or when it is on sale.

Enjoy,
Mosaic Butterfly
Reply to: #985500 by Mosaic Butterfly
Apr 7, 2020 6:28am
Thread
I don't remember the brand I buy but I like the spiral bound sketch books because they lay flat. I stamp on both sides as well.

I now have one for postals and one for other stamps.
Apr 7, 2020 8:41am
Thread
I much prefer a hardbound book to a spiral book because the spirals eventually get crooked. So, I recommend a bound book. I like the Blick book, but Michaels has another that's the same size. I like Blick's more because it's a plastic cover rather than a cotton cover so when I set it on the ground it doesn't get wet and soggy.

Another thing I typically do is find a beautiful duck tape and tape the outside of my book. This insures that the book won't be ruined if set on the ground. If you get a large sketchbook like these they are going to last you a long time because of how thick they are.

Once this pandemic thing is over, I recommend going to an event and seeing what other people use. There are many letterboxers out there that make the MOST BEAUTIFUL and creative logbooks.
Reply to: #985508 by AdventurousAcorn
Apr 7, 2020 10:41am
Thread
Another thing I typically do is find a beautiful duck tape and tape the outside of my book.

I use clear plastic and packing tape to make a temporary book cover similar to what kids used to have to make to cover their books each year. When the logbook is full, I remove the cover.
Reply to: #985519 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 7, 2020 10:54am
Thread
I usually make my own logbooks using the coptic stitch method. I use Neenah Bright White cardstock (can be found at Amazon) for the inside pages. I like how it takes ink and it is super smooth. The finished logbook is about 5.75" x 8.75".

However, lately, I haven't had a chance to make large logbooks so I've been using one from Hobby Lobby with thick smooth pages. It's about 6"x9".

BB
Apr 7, 2020 2:31pm
Thread
Any pitfalls or traps I should avoid?

As you see everybody likes different things in a logbook for different reasons.

The things I would add is don’t get a fancy logbook with handmade paper. That paper is always too soft and porous.

And you don’t have to spend a lot of money