A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Logbook Logistics

Re: Best Brand of Logbook?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #974420 by The Lost Boys
Apr 22, 2019 8:33am
Thread
I like the Moleskine sketchbooks. The paper is thick enough to stamp on both sides and the pocket comes in handy.
Apr 22, 2019 10:12am
Thread
Gargoyle Girl makes beautiful books which I'm in love with. Send her a message directly and she'll send you a link to her styles.
Reply to: #974428 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 22, 2019 1:35pm
Thread
...I found that I never got a nice enough image. They're too bumpy.

OK, same idea except make your own cards. Buy some suitable paper and cut out card-sized pieces with a paper slicer.
Apr 22, 2019 2:01pm
Thread
Thanks everyone! Great ideas here.
Apr 23, 2019 3:55am
Thread
Gargoyle Girl makes amazing logbooks. I have been using them for years. Paper quality makes for good images from stamps and she has a variety of choices for covers. I have been wicked lucky in that she has made some "tea" covers for my orders!

I reach her through etsy or facebook since she is quite busy and isn't on AQ every day like some of us.
Apr 23, 2019 11:13am
Thread
I still have cards, years later, that I never got around to cutting out and gluing in a book.

Cutting out?
Apr 23, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
I buy hot press art paper. It can be watercolor paper, mixed media paper, etc, as long as it's hot press, which has a smooth texture.

I use a cutter to cut the pages into ATC size -- 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. On ebay, I buy pages for ATCs (Artist Trading Cards), they're fairly cheap if you buy a pack of 100 pages at a time. The pages are like the same clear pages with slots that hold baseball cards. They're made to go in a 3-ring binder. Each page holds 9 cards if a body puts only 1 card per slot, or 18 if ya put 2.

I only put 1 per slot because I stamp the image on one side & put the info (planter, date found, location) on the other side.

I tend to lose things out in the woods, so I don't want to carry a logbook around with me.
Reply to: #974480 by Early Risers
Apr 23, 2019 10:06pm
Thread
What do you do for the larger stamps that are too big for an ATC?
Reply to: #974484 by Dawgdok
Apr 23, 2019 10:58pm
Thread
What do you do for the larger stamps that are too big for an ATC?

I tuck those into either the front or back pockets that are on the inside of the cover of the 3-ring binder.

I have no idea how many of those there are in the country, but in my case, out of probably a little under 3000 finds, I have only maybe 2 or 3 dozen that are larger than the 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. Haven't seen a larger stamp in a few years. Used to cut & carry a few larger pieces of paper for larger stamps, but I don't even bother anymore.

Rec'd a Christmas postcard one year from Ryan (can't remember now what the reason was) & that too I just slipped into one of the binder pockets.

Baseball cards, magic cards, ATCs -- so much has shrunk to the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 over the years that those sleeves fit most cards.

I guess if I had enough of the larger stamps, I'd buy some of those pages of clear pockets that ya use in photo albums.
Reply to: #974486 by Early Risers
Apr 24, 2019 12:49am
Thread
...out of probably a little under 3000 finds, I have only maybe 2 or 3 dozen that are larger than the 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. Haven't seen a larger stamp in a few years.

Interesting. I'd guess half of mine are bigger than that.
Reply to: #974487 by Kirbert
Apr 24, 2019 4:18am
Thread
Interesting. I'd guess half of mine are bigger than that.

Wow. Would love that. Would willingly buy photo album sleeve pages if I could find larger stamps. Seems like the ones I have that are larger go back to around 2004, 2005, 2006 or so.
Apr 24, 2019 12:56pm
Thread
(When I'm not living in temporary housing where everything's in storage) I make my own books. I've never been happy with the paper in the store bought books. That being said, I am using a store bought logbook right now (since I can not make my own right now). You want a book with thick smooth pages. The smoother, the better. The thicker, the better so that ink won't bleed through to the other side. The store bought book I'm using right now has thick enough pages where I can stamp on both sides of the paper.

https://www.michaels.com/canson-xl-hardcover-sketch-pad/M10519818.html?dwvar_M10519818_size=5.5%22%20x%208.5%22#q=sketch%20book&start=4
(I might not be using this exact book, but I am using one from this manufacturer). I like spiral bound so that I can put the cover around the back. I find that books that are traditionally bound won't lie perfectly flat. Spiral bound books are so much flatter. Also make sure you find a book with a hard cover. That will give you a strong surface for stamping.

So, since I usually bind my own books, I use the double needle coptic stitch binding method. This allows the book to almost lie flat and due to the hard cover (I use thick watercolor board covered in pretty papers) gives me a hard surface to stamp on.

I use the following paper, since it gives me the best stamping that I've found thus far:

https://www.amazon.com/Neenah-Premium-Cardstock-Brightness-Letter/dp/B074FDGBK8/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=cardstock+Neenah+white&qid=1556135737&s=gateway&sr=8-8

It's about $15.00 a ream (250 piece), but it's nice and heavy, and super smooth.

Good luck!
BB
Making Your Own Logbooks
Apr 24, 2019 2:53pm
Thread
The Lost Boys wrote about the double needle Coptic stitch. When I make my logbooks I use a certain stitch, but I forget what it is called. I learned it by watching a YouTube video but I haven't been able to find it since.

So, what is your favorite binding technique, and would you provide a link to video(s) if you have found one/some?
Re: Making Your Own Logbooks
Reply to: #974519 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 24, 2019 3:52pm
Thread
BrailleBoxer makes some awesome little logbooks, maybe she might share her method.

Sorry to throw you out there BB!

I use a BIA machine whenever I make logbooks. Oh, Kudichan makes some wicked logbooks too!!
Checking PTs
May 9, 2019 10:44pm
Thread
At the request of an event host, I tried to check the status of my PTs in my logbook, but see that I can no longer do that without opening up every stamp. Dozens of stamps. Never ran into this problem before. Arrgh.
Re: Checking PTs
Reply to: #975077 by Topcollector
May 9, 2019 11:14pm
Thread
Go into Advanced Search, change the search type to Travelers, put your name in the owner or planter box towards the bottom of the page and run the search. This will bring up a page resembling our old log books.
Reply to: #975079 by Janila
May 9, 2019 11:17pm
Thread
I was so confused after reading directions for a search yesterday with xor and xand and + this and - that, I've given up on searching for anything. Too complicated for me. I don't even know what any of it means.
May 10, 2019 2:54am
Thread
Since it's for an event.... You can also (from the event page) click on print checklist. That list shows all active P t's that are expected at the event.
Reply to: #975080 by Topcollector
May 10, 2019 5:10am
Thread
Don't give up. Just use what you do know how to use. Those complicated AND, OR, etc. are only if you put in more than one search term. It defaults to OR, so it will search for any of the terms you enter. You can change it to AND if you want boxes than have ALL of the search terms.
May 10, 2019 12:14pm
Thread
At the request of an event host, I tried to check the status of my PTs in my logbook, but see that I can no longer do that without opening up every stamp. Dozens of stamps. Never ran into this problem before. Arrgh.

It's called an AQ "update".
Replanting an event stamp
May 12, 2019 7:05am
Thread
Any protocol about replanting a table top? I figured I'd keep the logbook and make sure local stampers that already got it at the event wouldnt mistake it for a new stamp. But I'm not sure I can keep the same registration number. Before I go changing things, is there a correct way?
Re: Replanting an event stamp
Reply to: #975161 by bigredroyaloak
May 12, 2019 7:54am
Thread
Good idea ~ get the stamp out for more finders! Do it like this, though, so future finders aren't confused about what kind of box it is.

Retire the event box listing, and edit the clue to say it's now planting in the wild. You can't change the type of box any other way.

Make a new listing for the new traditional box, and also mention in that clue that it's a former event stamp. That will give people who've already found it fair warning that they've seen it before. If you can alter the name of the box a little bit when you make the new listing, then no one will get them mixed up when they go to log a find.
May 12, 2019 8:48am
Thread
Just mention in the clue that the box was a former tabletop at such & such event. Then anyone who was at said event can decide whether or not to go after it. I think this is a great way to give a box additional life.
May 12, 2019 3:35pm
Thread
Sometimes you can modify the stamp a little bit so that the planted stamp ends up a bit different than the table top stamp. For example, the table top stamp could have the name of the event across the bottom of the image, then for permanent planting this name could be sliced off. Or you could alter the image itself somehow.

I'd still mention the re-use in the clue listing, but an altered stamp would give finders an excuse to come find it again.
homemade paper good for logbooks?
Jun 16, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
I have used leaves and birchbark to make homemade paper in the past it makes really interesting paper that I found to be firm and durable (you can write on it with pencil and it shows up fine) however I have not made the paper for a while and was wondering if it would be too textured for stamps? If anyone knows more about this type of paper could they please let me know if I am remembering the paper correctly Its something I want to do with my daughter and I think she would enjoy making something with natural materials (she loves drawing with the nature pencils at her music lesson)
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 16, 2019 7:56pm
Thread
I have made homemade paper before, and I don't think it would be suitable for a logbook. In addition to the surface not being smooth enough for a good, stamped image, it also wouldn't have the "sizing" used in commercially-produced paper. When I used unsized papers in the past, I found the ink was absorbed into the paper, and all but disappeared. The sizing somewhat seals the paper, so the ink dries on the surface. I hope that helps?
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 17, 2019 2:33am
Thread
You could use the homemade paper for a beautiful logbook cover.
unmarking a personal traveling find
Jun 29, 2019 11:03pm
Thread
I was adding notes after an event for personal travelers I didn't find yet hoping my answers would be there for the next event but instead they got automatically marked as found and then disappeared off of my page. I didn't realize that would happen until after it was too late. How do I undo this and mark these personal travelers as not found?
Re: unmarking a personal traveling find
Reply to: #976832 by PartyOf6Plus1
Jun 29, 2019 11:12pm
Thread
The same way you can delete any other find. Easiest way is go to your logbook, select “finds” and “travelers” then click the icon on the right that looks like a floppy disk with red circle/line thru it.
Re: unmarking a personal traveling find
Reply to: #976833 by Kelsung
Jun 29, 2019 11:14pm
Thread
Thank you so much!!!