Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Logbook Logistics

Re: Most creative logbook you found or made?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #963978 by All 4 Bama
Aug 16, 2018 2:01pm
Thread
I was gifted a letterbox that had much to do with a beach theme. The logbook was a real pair of flip flops for the covers and the pages were everything beachy. In case you're wondering it is a tremendously large letterbox with an itty-bitty stamp (in proportion).
Aug 16, 2018 2:19pm
Thread
The logbook cover for this box was made from a computer motherboard:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=209771

I made a photo album of my most creative logbook:

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?albumId=3277&sortBy=oldest

K
Reply to: #963983 by Maude
Aug 16, 2018 3:44pm
Thread
wrap the stamp in something besides paper toweling

Amen to that. I've never understood why people use paper towel for a permanent box. Before long it turns to inky shreds.

Felt is cheap. A yard will wrap more stamps than most people will plant in years to come. And if money is a concern, any kind of fabric will do...old t-shirts, etc.
Reply to: #963989 by Kelsung
Aug 16, 2018 4:37pm
Thread
I made a photo album of my most creative logbook:

Wow! That is sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to: #963992 by MissMoon
Aug 16, 2018 5:18pm
Thread
So true! I use felt scraps from other projects. So cheap!
Aug 16, 2018 5:19pm
Thread
I created a mini version of the Monster Book of Monsters for a Harry Potter series I planted. I had a blast making that logbook.
Reply to: #963981 by Rocklun
Aug 16, 2018 5:21pm
Thread
Wow! Wish we had a picture of that, just to say "great job". That's some very thoughtful work. Thanks for sharing
Reply to: #963983 by Maude
Aug 16, 2018 5:23pm
Thread
Thanks for sharing all the info. You have a lit of passion & I appreciate all the tips & ideas. I just really want to take my boxes up a notch. The logbooks I have found are all basic. I don't have a lot of experience, so all this info is really helping.
Reply to: #963987 by BBStacker
Aug 16, 2018 5:25pm
Thread
That must be crazy big! Even kids flip flops...but how fun to find it. That would have laughing out loud😂
Aug 16, 2018 5:27pm
Thread
Thanks! Those are cool. I love to hear the relationships between the logbook & the stamp.
Reply to: #963997 by Music Chick
Aug 16, 2018 5:28pm
Thread
My kids would love that! Anything HP!
Aug 16, 2018 6:55pm
Thread
Matchbook and even match box log book. At a street fair event, and a local municipality had a booth. They wanted to pack up but had a ton of accordion style bike path maps. I took a bunch home and made log books out of them.
Reply to: #964000 by All 4 Bama
Aug 16, 2018 6:59pm
Thread
Most of the logbooks I've found in permanent letterboxes are simple - they don't tend to survive in our weather around here and end up a soggy mess. The best logbooks I've seen were in temporary boxes for events, event boxes, or postals.

The coolest "logbooks" I've seen are in the traveling Texas boxes. These are large boxes where each finder adds a stamp, decorates a page in large logbook (almost scrapbook style), and then hides the box in a new location for the next finder. They get more and more elaborate as time goes on and some pages are works of art.
Reply to: #964005 by Open Space
Aug 16, 2018 7:12pm
Thread
The Texas boxes, are they called "growing" boxes? Where you find it. Stamp in
Add a stamp to the box & rehide? These logbooks sound cool!
Reply to: #964004 by StasiaBoo
Aug 16, 2018 7:13pm
Thread
Great idea to reuse. How were you able to do the paper ?(I am assuming it had printing on it)
Reply to: #964007 by All 4 Bama
Aug 16, 2018 10:13pm
Thread
I'm not sure what they are called elsewhere, we just call them traveling boxes. The person who finds it takes the box home to stamp all the stamps and make their updates. When they re-hide it, clues are posted on the Texas yahoo group. The next finder announces they have it so others don't go after it. We only have one in circulation at a time. Once the box is full it's retired and another started.
Reply to: #964012 by Open Space
Aug 17, 2018 4:28pm
Thread
We have some growing boxes in Illinois and there's one big one I know of in Iowa but they don't leave their hiding spots. People bring a stamp with them and let the owner know. The owner adds that stamp to the clue.
Reply to: #964048 by Topcollector
Aug 17, 2018 7:04pm
Thread
Thanks for the info. I think it's a cool idea & am glad to be learning more about growing boxes.
Re: Small metal screw posts to make your own logbooks
Reply to: #962760 by Lucky Cats
Aug 23, 2018 4:13am
Thread
I am interested. The gumbie team is now into making all sorts of log books. Is this still available?
Aug 25, 2018 1:15am
Thread
For a pinup themed postal, I made a logbook that had a cutout keyhole in the cover, surrounded by paper that was cut to look like an ornate keyhole hardware. The overall cover had a wood grain print. Through the keyhole you could see a small portion of the stamped image.
Reply to: #964048 by Topcollector
Oct 15, 2018 7:38am
Thread
Can you send me the name of this box? I would like to research this further & Wang to read the clues. I think it'll help me understand it a bit better.

(From what I am reading, it sounds like the stamps become part of a story. Is that right?)
Oct 15, 2018 9:35am
Thread
I dipped a marble in paint and rolled it on a piece of paper; dipping it in several colors rolling it back and forth for an art themed book. I cut the papers into 4 pieces and bound the booklet. I looked really neat!
Oct 15, 2018 10:17am
Thread
RavenWolf's logbooks are works of art!
Reply to: #966803 by jlsd0218
Oct 15, 2018 10:18am
Thread
That sounds fun!
Oct 15, 2018 8:47pm
Thread
We found a box in this beautiful crazy wooded area that reminded me of a tropical jungle. No words can describe it. The story in the clue really set the tone. I found the box, set down, &carefully opened it. I could see something Shining and reached in for it. Coincidentally a school marching band or something started practicing off in the distance and it totally freaked me out. It was almost dark. Then I pulled out the log book, ohhhh the log book, it was made of wood with hammered tin, or copper, I can't remember; it was getting dark. The cover had a confederate soldier riding off into battle. Just as I saw the photo, a light flashed around the woods.. I have no idea where it came from and I swear I heard horses hooves galloping somewhere nearby. The log book was not like anything I had seen yet. It felt like I opened a Jumanji book or something.

Any other day that might have just been a really neat logbook. But that night, it was magical :-)
Oct 16, 2018 8:42am
Thread
I dig toasters has many amazing log books. Each logbook she does highlights the theme in some way. Her Wizard of Oz series has gingham, fur, tin, straw, netting and lace, and more, each book designed for the particular stamp! We are lucky to have most of her boxes in the StL region, but I'm glad you were able experience her work!
Reply to: #966854 by Kiss'n Karin
Oct 18, 2018 6:09pm
Thread
I dig toasters has out done herself with her latest log book! It's a fully decorated and functioning wooden hutch in her Eye of Newt series! A must see!
Reply to: #966963 by Kiss'n Karin
Oct 18, 2018 7:29pm
Thread
Sounds really cool!
Sweet Deal on Bind-It-All”s
Oct 19, 2018 5:07am
Thread
Just got an email from the manufacturer and it’s buy 1 get 1 FREE right now! Bind-It-All”s and Bow-It-All”s.

http://binditall.com/Binditall.html

=) Trishee
Re: Sweet Deal on Bind-It-All”s
Reply to: #966970 by Trishee
Oct 19, 2018 6:14am
Thread
Yes, good deal if you have a friend that wants one.
Even if you need to reship to a friend, a good deal.