A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Logbook Logistics

Re: I do not like making logbooks.
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #61235 by CarlsonClimbers
Jan 6, 2007 11:34pm
Thread
Quote How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine? As you can probably tell mine has been gathering dust. :) Or do you do it by hand?

Goggle "coptic stitch book binding" there are lots of online tutitorlials. It is hand sewen not machine so sorry no good reason to dust off the machine.

Check out this message it has several links to book making http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=30120

Mystic dreamer
chain stitch
Jan 7, 2007 1:04pm
Thread
I use a chain stitch that allows the book to open completely flat. I punch one hole in the middle, one hole on each end and one hole about half way between this hole and the middle.

I use mat board and cut it about 1/4 inch larger on three sides bigger then the signatures. I stitch through about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the edge. I've only made two so far. I just finished one list night. I'm wondering if I need to glue something like fabric or very thin leather on them to support the stitches and binding in general.

Any advice from those who have done it?

Shiloh
Re: chain stitch
Reply to: #61310 by shiloh
Jan 7, 2007 1:40pm
Thread
Shiloh, are you talking about a chain stitch that goes on the spine of the book? So you have 5 horizontal rows (for each set of holes you punch).

I've made several books like that, and they have held up fine. Now, that type of binding is not a "heavy use" binding to begin with, so the purist bookmakers don't always recommended it. But I think it would be find for a logbook - it is going to feel a bit "looser" than books bound by other methods. You could certainly glue fabric or leather around the back to help support it - its your book, so do whatever the heck you want!!

However, with that disclaimer, that's one of my favorite bindings!! You can do tons of neat stuff with it - I always add beads - for starters...... ;-)) I just pulled out one of my books I made like that, and I did a row of chain stitches every inch - it's about a 6x9 book, so there are 8 rows - that might make it a little stronger? Did you use waxed linen thread - I would definately use that, since it won't stretch - ever.

Are you making logbooks for plants, or for stamping in while on the trail? Just curious...

Mama Fox
Reply to: #61327 by The Little Foxes
Jan 7, 2007 1:57pm
Thread
Quote Are you making logbooks for plants, or for stamping in while on the trail? Just curious...

For my box logs I make a simple log. One signature,three hole pamphlet stitch. This way I can make them fit the LnL they go in. :) Plus I hate the idea of putting a lot of effort and money in a book that may go missing. For my personal log though I made a book (my first chain stitch book). I used regular printer paper and poster board. I punched 5 holes and used dental floss. I already had that so I didn't have to buy anything extra. After I made the book it seemed a little *delicate* so I glued a piece of mat board to the front and back.

My second book, the one I made last night is just a personal journal. I did the same as my first book except I didn't use the poster board I used the mat board in it's place. It feels more durable but I wonder about the thread pulling through the mat board with use.My thoughts were if I glued a cover on it that would glue the thread between two layers and help support it.

Quote Shiloh, are you talking about a chain stitch that goes on the spine of the book? So you have 5 horizontal rows (for each set of holes you punch).

Yes. 5 holes in each signature and front and back.

Shiloh
Reply to: #61336 by shiloh
Jan 7, 2007 3:56pm
Thread
Quote My second book, the one I made last night is just a personal journal. I did the same as my first book except I didn't use the poster board I used the mat board in it's place. It feels more durable but I wonder about the thread pulling through the mat board with use.My thoughts were if I glued a cover on it that would glue the thread between two layers and help support it.

I think it will be ok - of course you will find out for sure sooner or later.... ;-))

You could put just a drop of glue at that "hinge" - where the thread holds the matboard - that would help. Or just glue strips of fabric (twill tape would work well) or leather (always very cool ;-)) horizontally over the hinges. In the future - you could glue strips of fabric or leather on the edge where you punch the holes - then do the holes, then sew (clear as mud?).

I've not used mat board - there are two boards that bookbinders use - one is Bristol board (think that's the one that's a bit more pricey - the other is called..... (something my brain can't recall right now...) - it's grey and ugly, but you always cover it with something pretty ;-)) If you have an art supply store in your town (not michaels or similar ilk) they should carry it. They are both pretty dense and durable.

Mama Fox
Jan 7, 2007 4:10pm
Thread
Use an auto chamie cloth. The leather is very supple and soft, and a thin coat of wood glue will dry before it soaks through. If you are going to cover it with a wrap around cover make sure that you leave a little room where the binding is so it doesn't stretch the binding when you close it.
Reply to: #61327 by The Little Foxes
Jan 7, 2007 4:14pm
Thread
Waxed dental floss works real well. It is strong and stands up to temperature change really well.
Reply to: #61360 by The Little Foxes
Jan 7, 2007 4:28pm
Thread
Quote the other is called..... (something my brain can't recall right now...) - it's grey and ugly, but you always cover it with something pretty

Book board! I've also heard it called cover board. It's like a really thick grey cardboard that's a pain to cut through, but makes really nice covers (covered in pretty paper or bookcloth, of course!). In fact, I used it in the datebook I made this afternoon!
Reply to: #61370 by The Red Cat
Jan 7, 2007 7:08pm
Thread
Quote the other is called..... (something my brain can't recall right now...) - it's grey and ugly, but you always cover it with something pretty

Book board! I've also heard it called cover board. It's like a really thick grey cardboard that's a pain to cut through, but makes really nice covers (covered in pretty paper or bookcloth, of course!). In fact, I used it in the datebook I made this afternoon!

Yep, that's it! Sheesh, no wonder I couldn't think of the name, who would have guessed it was called book board ( <------ sarcasm).

Mama Fox of Very Little Brain
Ever lose your personal Logbook?
Jan 7, 2007 8:05pm
Thread
For three depressing hours, we thought our nine year old had lost our family's personal logbook out on the trail. We drove back to the trail and searched for an hour. Luckily, it turned up in the car under one of the seats. It made us think though. Has anybody ever lost their personal logbook and if so, what did you do? Or does anyone have any prevention strategies or good back up plans? We'd like to prevent future anquish if possible. Thanks!
-Camp Violet
Re: Ever lose your personal Logbook?
Reply to: #61414 by Camp Violet
Jan 7, 2007 8:33pm
Thread
Answer can be as simple as keeping everything in one bag. I carry a pack that I keep all my letterboxing supplies in. I put everything back in and check the area before moving on.
Jan 7, 2007 8:33pm
Thread
I use 4X6 cards on the trail then put them in an album when I get home. I have a LB box in the back of my car I put my logbook in while out on the trails just in case I run into someone and they ask to see it. The cards are nice too in case the stamp doesn't stamp right, just turn the card over and restamp. Everyone has their own method.
HA
Jan 7, 2007 8:35pm
Thread
I have never lost the logbook. However I do have a compass somewhere in a state park.

Closest I have is when my daughter forgets to take her logbook out of the car.
Reply to: #61360 by The Little Foxes
Jan 7, 2007 9:04pm
Thread
No need to pay alot of money for book board or bristol board or anything.. just recycle your cereal boxes (or those cardboard things that come in packaged clothes, or the back of composition books, etc) when done. Just break them down and cut to the appropriate size you need.. you're going to cover them anyway..... You can use them singlely or you can make a thicker "board" by taking two cereal boxes (same size) and break them down glue (i use gorilla or yes or e-6000 waterproof stuff) them together and let dry. Then cut with good scissors!

Take your pretty paper and adhere to your new, cheap and eco-friendly book board!

I did invest in a small paper awl that i use to make the holes, it's sooo much easier than trying to use the darning needle that i use to stitch the sigs together.

Shiloh, I also always use waxed dental floss... way cheap and just as durable. (just dont get the mint kind... animals like fresh breath too i guess! ;-D

if there was a way to make good, waterproof glue, i'd probably do that too as it's the most expensive thing for me to buy for logbooks. Ocassionally i find a pretty piece of mulberry paper or other specialty paper on sale and nab it for using as the cover.

I just made four logbooks tonight using three pieces of old cardstock that i had laying around. Just glued all three together and cut it down to the right size. and BAM! instant logbook cover. Tonight I also tried using my sewing machine to stitch the sigs together. Nice effect, but I still like stitching with floss.. keeps the sigs aligned better to me.

i love seeing what other people do in postals for logbooks... lots of room for creativity there.. but trad. box logbooks are more utilitarian for me.

cam
Jan 7, 2007 9:05pm
Thread
Hi, we were paranoid about that exact senario, so we decided to use a 3.5 x 5 sketch book to stamp in, and when we get home, we put the individual stamped pages in a pocket-style photo album. Plus, in the album, there is a little pocket for a "description" So, here we can write the date, and title of the box nicely when we get home. :O)

The White Family
Reply to: #61420 by Alyson Wonderland
Jan 7, 2007 10:18pm
Thread
When I used to make Dream Catchers and used artificial Deer Sinew. I found my roll the other day and used it make a log book. It is extremely strong and easy to use. If your intrested in finding something like that, I bought some smaller rolls on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARTIFICIAL-DEER-SINEW-Natural-1260-30-roll_W0QQitemZ280029021792QQihZ018QQcategoryZ13750QQcmdZViewItem

1260 feet of 30 lb. sinew, it can be divided into smaller strands for finer work, which doubles or triples the amount. It also comes in a variety of colors too, red, black, green, blue, white, natural, and black. And at 8.00 per roll that comes out to a whole lot of log books.
Reply to: #61417 by Hale s Angel
Jan 7, 2007 11:24pm
Thread
Quote I use 4X6 cards on the trail then put them in an album when I get home.

I guess I might as well 'fess up. I think I do things differently than everybody else. I print out the clues, and in the case of geocaches the cache listing page along with the last five logs, on my inkjet. Then I holepunch them and put them in a 3-ring binder that I carry along. When I find a letterbox, I stamp the image right on the clue printout -- there's almost always room, and in the rare case there's not I use a blank page that ends up stapled to it. When I find a geocache, I jot down whatever notes I need right on the cache listing page. Then, after I get home and log all these finds properly, I put all those pages into one great big 3-ring binder.

One binder per year; I have one skinny one for 2004 (I started both letterboxing and geocaching Thanksgiving weekend) and big fat ones for 2005 and 2006. One big empty one for 2007. The pages are in chronological order of when I found each item, the letterbox finds are all mixed in with the geocache finds, but it makes an excellent documentation of how my year went!

It might interest some to know that I had more finds in 2005 than in 2006. I believe there are three factors at work there:

1) Our summer vacation 2006 in Maine was constant rain, resulting in a great many caches and boxes being skipped. As opposed to our summer 2005 vacation in Michigan, where the biting flies were just as bad but the weather was much better.

2) Obviously, in 2005 there were more unfound geocaches available near my house! It gets harder when you've found all the local ones and have to drive farther to find more.

3) Believe it or not, while others seem to pride themselves on how many caches or boxes they can find in a day, we're tending more and more in the opposite direction -- to see how few we can find in a day! We've found that two or three finds that involve treks out into the wilderness are much more satisfying than a dozen urban micros or drive-bys, so that's what we concentrate on. And when we find ourselves on some little-known footpath miles from nowhere, we don't dash in and dash out to try to hurry to the next box; we take our time on that one, fully enjoying the location knowing we may never get by that way again.

-- Kirbert
Re: chain stitch*thanks*
Reply to: #61429 by TerraKacher
Jan 7, 2007 11:30pm
Thread
Thanks for all the info. I'm in kinda of a artsy waste land here. Don't get me wrong we have a good art community but mosty painting/sculpture/and some photography. Anythng else and you have to dig for information.

I was on the right track with my books. I guess I just needed the positive input to verify it. :)

I have a Tandy Leather store near by, in fact it's right on my way home. I can get any kind of leather they offer. I'm thinking I might glue some of what they sell for wallet linings. It's about the thickness of the leather I've seen on books. They also have the artificial sinew. I hadn't thought of using that,in fact I have some left over from another project I did.Thanks for that idea.

Thanks again

Shiloh
Jan 8, 2007 4:07am
Thread
If I lost mine, I'd have a heart attack. Assuming I survived, here's my back up plan. Generally, when stamping in, I'm stamping my book, my kids, and since I've spent all that time.... I usually put a few index cards in my book and stamp into one of those. Sometimes I do that first to "test" the stamp. If I'm boxing by myself, I'll stamp the cards for my kids - stamp images are a hot commodity around here!

So I have stamped index cards for most of the images in my log book - not all of them - probably 90%. And my kids have most of the images in their log books. It keeps me from waking up at night in a cold sweat, having dreamed I lost my logbook... ;-))

Mama Fox
Jan 8, 2007 4:13am
Thread
Quote Take your pretty paper and adhere to your new, cheap and eco-friendly book board!

I like these ideas Cam! Especially for traditional plants - the last log books I did were index cards on binder rings. Very workable, and fairly boring, but I was travelling, and didn't have all my STUFF with me (which would have necessitated pulling a UHaul behind the car.... ).

For fun paper, check out the scrap paper bags at AC Moore - I think Michaels has them too. They put them on sale for 40% off a lot, and there's always the weekly coupons. I got a nice big package of (allegedly) handmade paper for about $5. It's mulberry type papers.

Mama Fox
Jan 8, 2007 4:57am
Thread
I've made several of this type of book... I have used mat board for the cover and in those cases I haven't used anything else to cover the binding. But I did make a couple where I only used a piece of card stock for the cover - one long piece that wrapped around the spine, but was not sewn to the signatures. In those cases I used plain elmer's glue to glue the card stock on at the spine.

No problems so far, but most of these books have not seen heavy usage.

MB
Jan 8, 2007 5:06am
Thread
Quote Shiloh, I also always use waxed dental floss...

I bought a package of "beading thread" in the jewelry making section of Hobby Lobby. It's maybe 5 or 6 little spools of assorted colors of jewelry-making thread. It was only $3 and I may never use it all. It's a strong, heavy weight thread comparable in thickness to dental floss (some is a little thicker). So far it has held up well in all the projects I've used it for, and it is thin enough to use with a standard-sized needle.

Lately I have been a bit lazy about log books... well, procrastinating at least. So I've been punching holes and tying with hemp string.

MB
Reply to: #61454 by MoonBunny
Jan 8, 2007 5:28am
Thread
Quote Lately I have been a bit lazy about log books... well, procrastinating at least. So I've been punching holes and tying with hemp string

I've done something simular.I would take a spiral top bound sketch book and cut the wire out and lace hemp through the holes.

Shiloh
Jan 8, 2007 10:21am
Thread
I'd probably freak out...

No, I've never lost my logbook. Yet. I'm constantly losing compasses, though.

I just put my fifth finished logbook on the shelf at my house. :) Eesh. Do you think I need to cut back, just a little? ;)

Every time I'm done at a box I check the ground many many times to make sure that I haven't dropped anything before leaving. I also check my keys about eight times on the course of every hike. ;)
I made my first Coptic Stitch Logbook!
Jan 10, 2007 7:13am
Thread
I just finished up my very first coptic stitch logbook and wanted to share my excitement! :-) It turned out better than I ever dreamed and was much easier than I thought it would be.

I bought this book at half.com after it was recommended to me by a couple of NY boxers last Spring.

Making Books & Journals by Constance E. Richards (part of The Weekend Crafter series)

The instructions were pretty easy to follow. There are LOTS of pictures. And it doesn't just show coptic stitch...there are 20 differnt projects.

Okay...off to make another one! ;-)

YankeeChiK
Re: I made my first Coptic Stitch Logbook!
Reply to: #62029 by YankeeChiK
Jan 10, 2007 7:35am
Thread
Cool! I can do the Japanese stab binding, thanks to the Dremel tool, but I need to broaden my binding horizons. And, I can always use another book. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing that book!

Jenni P McD
Reply to: #62035 by Jenni P McD
Jan 10, 2007 7:42am
Thread
Remind me next time we get together and I'll bring it! :-)
chain stitch with real sinew
Reply to: #61429 by TerraKacher
Jan 10, 2007 11:32am
Thread
And if anyone needs some real deer sinew, we've got lots here in Alaska. ;) The shipping would be a bit pricey. Besides making logbooks you can also use it to sew your sealskin to the frame of your kayak. Mutli useful stuff.
Reply to: #62029 by YankeeChiK
Jan 10, 2007 11:48am
Thread
Congrats. you have inspired me to finish one i started at Christmas.
Re: chain stitch with real sinew
Reply to: #62121 by deniserows
Jan 10, 2007 12:07pm
Thread
LOL...next time I make a sealskin kayak...I'll make sure to order some from you! LOL

No offense...but...real or fake...the word sinew just makes me cringe...eww!!!

Thanks for the offer though! LOL

D5 Mama