A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Logbook Logistics

Re: Personal Logbook Size Poll
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #597197 by JESSS
Apr 5, 2011 6:36am
Thread
Talk about a Freudian slip! YIKES! I hear those books are really hard to come by...;-)

Yeah...and my husband wanted to know what happened when you rubbed them?
Re: Personal Logbook Size Poll
Reply to: #597351 by Hornicorn
Apr 5, 2011 7:46am
Thread
Yeah...and my husband wanted to know what happened when you rubbed them?

They go from paperback to hardbound.
Need Help at Disney World
May 17, 2011 5:45pm
Thread
I know this is probably not quite the right board, but I need help replacing a logbook in my box planted in Magic Kingdom. That's "logbook logistics", right??? Please message me if you are heading there soon and can help replace a logbook. I have one the proper size ready which I can send to you. All I ask is that you send me the old log when you can.

Please, please, please!!! I won't be back there for a while yet and apparently this box is more popular than I ever expected.

Thanks, YG
Re: Need Help at Disney World
Reply to: #607068 by Yumgirl
May 17, 2011 6:00pm
Thread
I'd x-post on the FL board too.
Re: Need Help at Disney World
Reply to: #607068 by Yumgirl
May 17, 2011 7:22pm
Thread
It's a great hide! Easily accessible, yet not obvious. The only find I logged at WDW!

-AG
Re: Too much ink!
Reply to: #594236 by LyssaGirl
Jun 1, 2011 12:10pm
Thread
I actually clean the stamp before I log it & after. I use as little ink as possible when I do log it. Nothing I hate more than putting yellow on a stamp & it stamps as something other than yellow. :-(

I don't think it's OCD. (CDO ;-))
Papers for pages
Jun 10, 2011 6:22pm
Thread
I use index cards to make my log books, sewing them together and binding them per the tutorial. Great for stamping.

Friends of mine have been impressed with my books, so I was thinking of making them with nicer paper for pages as gifts.

Not knowing much about paper, where can I find something? Sometimes I would like to use something lined to make journal type pages. Sometimes something durable for sketching.

I've hunted around the local ACMoore, but the only thing I found was a pad of parchment paper.

Thanks,
WiseMama
Re: Papers for pages
Reply to: #613206 by WiseMama
Jun 10, 2011 6:37pm
Thread
I use draw in paper out of a drawing pad or white cardstock.
Jun 10, 2011 7:22pm
Thread
Resume paper from a Staples or Office max might be cool....
Jun 10, 2011 7:34pm
Thread
I would use scrapbooking paper. Your local craft store should have some pretty lined paper that you can buy by the sheet, or in a pad. If not there, you can use something from Creative Memories. I have used scrapbooking paper to stamp on and then put them all in a scrapbook with the pics from our adventures...at least that is my plan, right now, I have a stack of stamped pages and a stack of pics that I have to scrapbook.
Jun 10, 2011 9:34pm
Thread
Have you ever considered looking at a thrift store, or resale shop for used letter writing materials? Sometimes you can find sets that a few are missing or something and cut them to size for your project. Also, I have found some cute images on those to carve before... Or check out a Hobby Lobby or Michaels like someone suggested and get card stock. Or an office place, they would have tons of different papers to look at. Most would sell card stock, too. I get mine there, the solid colors, and white...also at Big Lots, out east I think that place is called Odd Lots, or similar...they have a small section of scrap booking things...dollar store probably carries plain computer paper/typing paper...or cheap note booklets that could be reconfigured...

Look every where!
Jun 11, 2011 7:33am
Thread
You could probably get a big sketch pad & cut it down to whatever sizes you need. I think that would be the best deal for the money. It's basically the same paper that's used in many letterboxes & is perfect for holding ink, sketching or writing :)

Something like this, just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1003&bih=603&q=sketch+pad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=468117675223156279&sa=X&ei=hXzzTeO_B5TUgAeDt5XoCw&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAg#
Reply to: #613309 by Littlemonkey
Jun 11, 2011 8:38am
Thread
Another option is if you want to make your paper unique is to use inks to make a swirly pattern on it by floating it in water & dropping the sheet on it. Using light colored inks would be best if you want to stamp on it. Phazia's log book has a gold swirl on the paper.

Another suggestion I have is to hit up print shops for excess paper that they can bind in to small books for you & then you can add the covers.
Jun 12, 2011 4:32am
Thread
I've seen some very creative log books made out of all kinds of recycled paper, anything from wedding invitations to old greeting cards. For my logbooks I use cover stock (I find card stock a little too stiff for turning pages easily) that I get by the ream at Staples. It comes in limited colors though. Mostly white, gray/blue and yellowish.
Reply to: #613330 by Infin-T
Jun 12, 2011 4:37am
Thread
I've also done the shaving cream thing where you squirt a layer of shaving cream on a cookie sheet, add ink doprs (or food coloring?), swirl it, then lay the paper on the top. Press it down a little bit then remove the paper. If you let it dry for a few minutes, you can then scrape off the excess and it leaves a cool impression on the paper. You can reuse the shaving cream a few times. Also, it somehow kind of softens the paper and leaves a smooth, silky feeling. (I suppose like shaving cream should!)
Jun 12, 2011 6:54am
Thread
Don't know what to tell you about lined paper, but for my own personal logbook I use the white cardstock that comes in packs of 50 or 100 in the scrapbooking section. It is super smooth (a must for letterboxing) and takes ink well!

Good luck!

BB
Empty Nest Travler - what are you? What do I do?
Jun 19, 2011 6:51pm
Thread
We found a stamp and logbook (empty nest travler) in another box today. There are no instructions on what to do with it. But I took it with me; of course :)
I see that it's been to a couple states. I notice that none of the boxes it was left in have been stamped in the logbook - just the signature stamps of those who find it. They record where they have found it, stamp their stamp, and record where they left it.

I've searched both HH, Flea's, cootties, travelers and others. I've search by the letterboxer themselves. And still no luck. I've also searched both AQ and Letterboxing.org.

It doesn't exist. If your out there, Oneco CT, please let me know what you would like me to do and what you are. LOL - And if they never read this post, what do YOU think I should do? Is this a HH, cootie, traveler or???

Thank you,
Team Mac
Re: Empty Nest Travler - what are you? What do I do?
Reply to: #615100 by Team Mac
Jun 19, 2011 8:46pm
Thread
If it is clear that it has been traveling around, stamp it in and send it on its' way. Don't forget to enjoy the artwork, the logbook notes, etc. :)
Reply to: #615100 by Team Mac
Jun 20, 2011 4:33am
Thread
I notice that none of the boxes it was left in have been stamped in the logbook - just the signature stamps of those who find it.

I have been noticing this more and more in the HH that I find. I also notice--when looking at box logbooks-- that often someone will note that they left such and such HH, but there is no image in that log either. I don't know if people don't know to put the box image in the HH logbook--or if they just don't want to take the time.

BirdWoman/WP
Reply to: #615144 by Waltzing Pigs
Jun 20, 2011 7:09am
Thread
Maybe its time to start putting a heading on each page. "Boxes image found in" "Your Signature Image", "Image & Name of Box Moved to", as a reminder? Sorry, if have forgotten one, but you get the gist. I have to write myself a note in my personal log book of how to do it, maybe others just can't remember when they get out there in the field....it is a lot of stuff....
Reply to: #615167 by Okie Dog
Jun 20, 2011 7:37am
Thread
It was funny taking my older girl scout troop out letterboxing. We sat in the woods for a good 10 minutes going around... Did you stamp in the box? Did you stamp the box in your book? And then when we found a HH in one it was another 5 minutes of... Did you stamp in the box? did you stamp in the HH? etc...

There was only 5 of them too. o.O
Jun 20, 2011 8:44am
Thread
i have this
1. Record the hitchhiker's stamp in your personal journal.
2. Record your personal stamp in the hitchhiker's journal.
3. Record the HH stamp in the host letterbox's journal (the letterbox where you leave the HH).
4. Record the stamp of each host letterbox in the hitchhiker's journal.

glued into the back of my logbook for the times my brain farts.

deniserows
the poots around alot lately
Jun 20, 2011 9:58am
Thread
I've only released one HH so far, but I included this in the front cover:

What do I do with a HH?
1. HH stamp in your logbook
2. Your stamp in HH logbook
3. HH stamp in host logbook
(box you found it in)
4. Host stamp in HH logbook.
Contact Monkeys! via AtlasQuest.com if log is full or
any questions

Along with this note in the baggie:

Congratulations! You found a hitchhiker (HH)! A HH is a special type of letterbox that you take with you to hide in another letterbox somewhere else. For more info. visit http://www.atlasquest.com. Please record finding this HH on Atlas Quest so others can follow its travels from box to box. -Monkeys! (Member #40120)

Not sure if it's helped or not. I released it in Nov. and have had 3 find reports. Not sure how that compares to average. I have no idea what is now in the physical logbook. I was tempted to ask last time I got a find report, but decided to let the mystery go on a little longer. I may cave next time I get one!
Reply to: #615233 by Monkeys!
Jun 20, 2011 11:16am
Thread
Reading these suggestions/comments gives me an idea. Got to get working on it. :-)
Reply to: #615196 by deniserows
Jun 20, 2011 11:54am
Thread
The way I remember is to think of the HH as both a boxer and a box. As a boxer, the HH needs to stamp into the box logbook and the box stamp needs to stamp into the HH logbook. As a box, I need to stamp into the HH logbook and the HH stamp needs to log into mine.
Reply to: #615196 by deniserows
Jun 20, 2011 8:06pm
Thread
4. Record the stamp of each host letterbox in the hitchhiker's journal.

We discussed this a while back, and IIRC the consensus was that the box stamp image should not be applied to the HH log book for two reasons:

1) HH log books tend to be small and will fill up too quickly with both box stamps and carrier stamps.

2) Some box owners object to people seeing their box stamp images without actually finding the box.

It's my understanding that you only write the name of the box the HH is hidden in, you don't apply the stamp image.
Reply to: #615178 by Infin-T
Jun 20, 2011 8:18pm
Thread
We sat in the woods for a good 10 minutes going around... Did you stamp in the box? Did you stamp the box in your book? And then when we found a HH in one it was another 5 minutes of... Did you stamp in the box? did you stamp in the HH? etc...

There was only 5 of them too.

Heck, that happens when it's just ME!
Reply to: #615371 by Kirbert
Jun 20, 2011 9:01pm
Thread
We discussed this a while back, and IIRC the consensus was that the box stamp image should not be applied to the HH log book for two reasons:

1) HH log books tend to be small and will fill up too quickly with both box stamps and carrier stamps.

2) Some box owners object to people seeing their box stamp images without actually finding the box.

It's my understanding that you only write the name of the box the HH is hidden in, you don't apply the stamp image.

This is exactly opposite of what the original instructions for HH's instructed people to do. HH's are intended to travel from box to box and to have the box stamp placed in their logbook.
Box owners objecting to HH's getting stamp image
Jun 21, 2011 10:10am
Thread
Some box owners object to people seeing their box stamp images without actually finding the box.

This was in regards to Hitchhikers getting the box image in the HH logbook.
i was curious about this statement. i thought that was the plan. For the HH to see boxes that the HH owner might never ever see.

Hit Interesting: If you one of those owners that object to your box image being seen if the box hasn't been found by people who come across the HH.

Hit Agree: If you thought that getting a Box image was the HH job

Hit Educational: If this thought had never even occurred to you.

Hit Hug: To show you read this post and thought: [meh]

deniserows
curiously
Re: Box owners objecting to HH's getting stamp image
Reply to: #615437 by deniserows
Jun 21, 2011 10:23am
Thread
I always thought of HHs as taking those box images to far flung places that the subsequent seers of the logbook would never necessarily see...

For instance, I come across HHs in a boxes in Southern Ontario that have travelled through the US. There are usually a number of traditional letterbox images in it, mostly from the US. It's highly unlikely that I will ever visit those boxes, but allows me to nevertheless see and enjoy those images - while still leaving me unable to have collected those images unless I go visit those US boxes myself.

Is the actual seeing of the image the concern?