Read Board: Logbook Logistics

bookmaking links
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #30116 by castles16
Jul 28, 2006 6:13am
Thread
Here is a simple one I use quite often:

http://world.std.com/~deanb/zgg/book_5st_1.html

This one is a bit more involved but allows me to easily use a huge supply of matboard I acquired:

http://www.cat-sidh.net/Tutorials/Binding.html

Here are some other links I've borrowed some ideas from or have otherwise just kept handy for reference:

http://www.geocities.com/~jackiekoller/publish.html
http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/d/r/drv1913/0204.html
http://shala.addr.com/magazines/

And here is a link to some child-friendly projects, which could also of course be adapted for simple log books.

http://www.makingbooks.com/projects.html
Re: bookmaking links
Reply to: #30120 by MoonBunny
Jul 28, 2006 8:46am
Thread
thank you so much-all of you!!
Every since finding a hand made/hand sewn log book a few weeks ago that really impressed me I have been wanting to explore this art! These are some great links!
Now to get busy!
Re: Colored paper
Reply to: #30024 by Trekkie Gal
Jul 28, 2006 9:58am
Thread
Well, I got a second opinion on the pack of paper that I bought and as it turns out, it is not pastel enough. I guess I will take it back and try to get something lighter or perhaps *sigh* plain old white. I am not at all creative (I sometimes wonder if the right side of my brain even works) and was hoping that the colored paper would liven up an otherwise plain log book.

TG
Reply to: #30144 by Trekkie Gal
Jul 28, 2006 10:51am
Thread
You know what, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a plain log book. It's only going to remain plain until someone stamps into it anyway!

But if you really don't want white, you can even try ivory or gray resume paper from Wal-Mart. That has a little more luxury to it than plain old 20# white. It costs a little more but still can be had for less than many scrapbooking packs.
Jul 28, 2006 10:53am
Thread
Why not color your stamps with either color pencils, markers or whatever? YOU CAN MAKE THE "PLAIN-DULL" look disappear.

Pyratemates
Reply to: #30154 by MoonBunny
Jul 28, 2006 1:29pm
Thread
Quote You know what, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a plain log book. It's only going to remain plain until someone stamps into it anyway!

I agree with MB,It's your book. When it gets full you replace it and do whatever you want with it. Pyratesmates had a good idea about coloring the pages,think multicolored stripes!!

Shiloh
Cash Register Tape - substitute / improve
Jul 28, 2006 1:46pm
Thread
I have noticed most micro-caches use a small roll of cash register tape for the logbook. After looking at all the stamps, I struggle to stamp in, and then stand there rolling up the logbook again. This is particularly difficult with frozen fingers. And the tape really isn't very good quality paper.

I have also noticed a few innovative logbooks that don't take much more room, such as a rolled-up extra-wide logbook. It is like a regular logbook, only each page is 2" tall and 11" wide. It is stapled at the seam and rolled up at the seam.

Certainly an improvement, but I am wondering if there is a better solution?
Re: Cash Register Tape - substitute / improve
Reply to: #30179 by Rick in Boca
Jul 28, 2006 2:41pm
Thread
You can see pictures of 2 my solutions to this issue on the Urban Boxing talk list:

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/letterboxingurbanstyle/photos/browse/8f50

I now use the accordian style mini book (like Play Ball picture) on almost all my micro boxes. The trick is to use paper thick enough to be able to stamp in on both sides. I've done them as small as a slightly wider than normal film container microbox and they work fine. I've also gotten some good complements on them :-)

I'm also not a fan of register tape. It's difficult to stamp in/onto and to me just doesn't feel very "logbooky."

preboxed
Denver
Reply to: #30184 by preboxed
Jul 28, 2006 2:49pm
Thread
Oh yeah and I meant to include this link in my last message but forgot. Something I found while looking for alternatives for mini books. Haven't tried them yet, but love the idea of using matchbooks.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_scrapbooking/article/0,2025,DIY_13776_3686048,00.html
Reply to: #30185 by preboxed
Jul 28, 2006 3:28pm
Thread
Thank you preboxed! I loved the DIY link! These are very helpful!

Liz
Re: Logbook Layouts?
Reply to: #30072 by Marmalade
Jul 31, 2006 1:30pm
Thread
I also stamp the HH next to the box I found it in. I've only found 3 HH so far.
oceanwinds
Logbooks in a hurry
Aug 1, 2006 2:44pm
Thread
I took a group of friends letterboxing to introduce them to the fun. I carved stamps for some of them, but needed logbooks in a hurry.

I found 3.5 x 5.5 inch notebooks by Roobee (http://www.mara-mi.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=Home) at Big Lots for $1 for 2. They have plastic-covered covers and an elastic band across the leaves. They had a plastic wrapper so I couldn't see about lines. I was overjoyed when we got to the trailhead and they were blank! The pages are thin, so only one stamp per page, but if my friends go again, they'll have something that'll hold up.
Re: Logbooks in a hurry
Reply to: #30687 by Being Shielded
Aug 2, 2006 6:13am
Thread
WE found those same books and were equally excited. I love hand made or hand altered books, but these do in a pinch, the elastic bands are cool AND the price is right. We bought a couple just to have on hand or to share also.
True, the pages are thin, but they are good in a "bind" ........ OR, they are good to use as a journal along with a sturdier official logbook.
kwm
Everything I've read just went out of my head
Aug 8, 2006 8:47pm
Thread
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but I can't remember and I can't find any posts about it. I am on the verge of my very first plant (woo hoo!) and I have several questions:

1. What info do I put in the logbook? I know I put an image of the box stamp, the title of the box, an image of my signature stamp and my email address, but what else? I would like to know for both a regular box and a hitchhiker.

2. I know I stamp the hitchhiker image into the regular logbook. I don't stamp the regular box image into the hitchhiker logbook, right? That would seem like it would take up too much room in the log.

Any other question that I forgot to ask? Feel free to answer those too! (You can read my mind, can't you?) :)

TG
Re: Everything I've read just went out of my head
Reply to: #31653 by Trekkie Gal
Aug 8, 2006 8:50pm
Thread
PS Just found the logbook insert page in the Toolbox...but answer my questions anyway please :)
Aug 8, 2006 9:47pm
Thread
actually you do stamp the letterboxes image into the HH.
that shows where it has been...not just who took it.
Reply to: #31655 by Trekkie Gal
Aug 8, 2006 9:54pm
Thread
I think you just about covered it.
I put contact info in there along with the stamp image and my sig stamp image.
and if I add a HH to the new LB then I add the HH image too.
I usually ever write on that first blank page "First Finder!" at the very top.

as far as HH logbooks.
the same info as above but YES, I do stamp the image from each box that the HH is left in into the HH's logbook as well as the image of the finder each time.

I have seen them done both ways....
I have found HH in LBs that did not have the image stamped yet and have found them to where the person leaving it has already stamped the LBs stamp into it. I think it should be done that way...stamp the boxes image into the HH as you leave it there. that way it is recorded where it has been in case the next finder gets excited about it and takes it without checking to see if it has been stamped.

dixiekin
Reply to: #31670 by Dixie
Aug 9, 2006 1:44am
Thread
Quote I do stamp the image from each box that the HH is left in into the HH's logbook

Yes that is what we do, and as Dixiekin says, best to do it when you leave the HH so it doesn't get forgotton. The main point of a HH is to see which fixed boxes it gets left in so the fixed box stamp is more important than the signature stamp of the person finding it. A lot of HH logbooks are small so some people say don't bother with the finders signature stamp, but personally I like to see where they have been and who has found them.

If you have room I put a little explanation of what to do with a HH in the front of the book, or even on the back page if you think it takes up too much room.
Aug 9, 2006 9:03am
Thread
Something else I add...

If the site or reason for planting the box (or HH) has some sort of historical or personal significance, I put that at the front of the logbook as well, like on the inside front cover. I've done boxes with portrait images and have included short bios of the person in question, for example.

You got everything else answered by other people. :-)
Reply to: #31734 by knit wit
Aug 9, 2006 12:32pm
Thread
Quote If the site or reason for planting the box (or HH) has some sort of historical or personal significance, I put that at the front of the logbook as well, like on the inside front cover.

I do this too, although with a Hitchhiker you may be short of room in the book. That is the wonderful thing about listing clues on Atlas Quest, there is plenty of room on the clue page to put all sorts of information that you haven't got room to put in the book. Sometimes of course it is much more fun to find the information when you get there because the box is more of a mystery.

YT
Reply to: #30021 by CinemaBoxers
Aug 14, 2006 8:16am
Thread
Quote I know it says "log BOOK" but I use index cards for my finds. I like being able to see each stamp on its own, I keep them in a plastic 'recipe' box, and I can go through them and write on the back information about the find without 'cluttering' the art on the front.

What a great idea... it's really neat to see all the unique ideas everyone has while reading the posts. Thanks for sharing. Might try your way too.

Ladybugs Picnic
Re: bookmaking links
Reply to: #30120 by MoonBunny
Aug 14, 2006 8:37am
Thread
Great links. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ladybugs Picnic
Reply to: #30185 by preboxed
Aug 14, 2006 8:41am
Thread
Another great link... Thanks. Matchbook logbooks might be good for a parasite.. Hmmmmm ;-)

Ladybugs Picnic
Reply to: #32629 by Ladybugs Picnic
Aug 14, 2006 2:28pm
Thread
Quote I know it says "log BOOK" but I use index cards for my finds.

I have used index cards too. I use lined ones to write the clue on, which then clips to a tiny index sized clipboard for on the trail. This is much easier to look at than an A4 sized print out. When I find the letterbox I stamp the back of the clue card and also stamp a nice new plain index card to keep seperate.

Quote and write on the back information about the find without 'cluttering' the art on the front.

Once again I did this . I was really glad that I had recorded it all those years ago when I joined AQ. It meant I had all the dates and information to hand when I wanted to list my plants and finds in my AQ logbook.

YT
Re: Logbook Layouts?/ Hey YT!
Reply to: #32677 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
Aug 14, 2006 4:28pm
Thread
YT,
We've been wondering here at my house how you found clues to boxes pre-internet. Probably a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer . . .

-sunnygirl
Reply to: #32691 by sunnygirl
Aug 15, 2006 12:44am
Thread
Quote We've been wondering here at my house how you found clues to boxes pre-internet

When I first started in the 1980's you had to find a letterbox first and remember to look in the back of the logbook where more clues were posted, the method was just to scavenge until you had found 100. This was on Dartmoor, where you are not allowed a cluelist until you have found a 100 boxes. Although you are not allowed to count them in your 100, the pub letterboxes were the best because they used to have a lot of clues in them and you had the comfort to write them out properly. Once you found your 100 you could then buy the cluelist which is issued each year. If you wanted to keep them updated you sent a supply of S.A.E's and the cost of printing then the update sheets would be posted to you at certain intervals. A lot of clues are passed by word of mouth pre-update (or by snail mail - no email at the time).

In the other main letterboxing areas you are allowed the cluelists straight away, again if you send the cost of the cluelist and a supply of S.A.E's for updates. That way anyone new to letterboxing gets The Code of Conduct and some advice on how to proceed. It also means the cluemasters for each area had some idea who is out there letterboxing and if they have gone trouble of writing and sending money they are slightly more committed than someone dabbling for two days and never letterboxing again.

The other areas (such as my North York Moors - The 101 Club) prefer you to use the cluelists as they feel letterboxes should be hidden so well that it is not possible to find them without clues. Scavenging causes too much trampling around and disturbance to the wildlife.

As the person who used to run the cluelist for The North York Moors in the 1990's, when clues were sent to me I had to type them out on a manual typewriter (loved it when word processing typewriters appeared for home consumption) and then get them photocopied (thank goodness I didn't do it before photocopying was available), staple them together and post them out.

I can't believe how easy it is now with clues on the internet and email to send updates around known boxers.

As for AQ that is unique, not just a cluelist but all those letterboxing toys to play with, these message boards and wonderful personal logbooks which also keep the owners updated! Now I am spreading the word about AQ over here! :-)

YT
Reply to: #32733 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
Aug 15, 2006 9:28am
Thread
Quote Although you are not allowed to count them in your 100, the pub letterboxes were the best because they used to have a lot of clues in them and you had the comfort to write them out properly.

I had heard you couldn't get cluelists until you achieved 100 but why didn't the pub ones count? Yes, you had comfort to write them out -- and a couple of pints while you were doing that!

Internet has sure made LBing amazing. But, YT, just think if you hadn't had access to copiers. Can you say typing with carbon paper? Auuugggh!

KuKu
Reply to: #32774 by KuKu
Aug 15, 2006 4:29pm
Thread
Quote I had heard you couldn't get cluelists until you achieved 100 but why didn't the pub ones count?

Pub boxes didn't count because you found them indoors and 100 Club letterboxing was about the outdoors. Just the way it worked then. AQ doesn't count various boxes like Hitchhikers, Travellers and Cooties. Over here they are counted towards your badges, although in some areas only a certain proportion of your finds can be Travellers and Cooties.

YT
Aug 15, 2006 4:44pm
Thread
Decorate the edges and leave the center blank where people will stamp...
Reply to: #32836 by Flit girl
Aug 17, 2006 7:04pm
Thread
hmmmmm..... I like that idea

<<filing that one away for our first plant coming soon>>