A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: carving blocks
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #981581 by Topcollector
Dec 4, 2019 9:10am
Thread
Oh, it showed up on My Page instead of Marketplace--but that works.

That's likely because My Page is the submenu that's selected by default when you're adding a custom menu entry. You can select whichever submenu you'd like the entry to appear under, and you can always edit your entry to switch it to a different submenu.
Reply to: #981583 by Dawnkey
Dec 4, 2019 9:34am
Thread
I fixed it--I checked marketplace but had to leave page to get the URL and forgot to check it when I went back. This was so easy even I figured out how to do it. Love it.
Reply to: #981584 by Topcollector
Dec 4, 2019 9:41am
Thread
Agree, the custom menus are really easy to use and super handy. Glad you made it work.
Re: Do you have google fu?
Reply to: #980899 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Dec 20, 2019 4:50am
Thread
What terms do you search when you look for images to carve?

I know this is an older thread but I just found that I can google ideas for stamps by using "embroidery".
Re: Do you have google fu?
Reply to: #981828 by Janila
Dec 20, 2019 5:00am
Thread
That's a new one! Thank you for sharing!
What to carve?
Dec 30, 2019 11:49am
Thread
Hello! I'm currently working on a box I'll be planting in the spring, and I've got my clue all written up, but I do need some advice on what exactly to carve. This box in particular is going to be located in a cellar hole where an old woman suspected of witchcraft once lived, before her house was destroyed by five men bent on proving that she was a witch.

I've carved some stamps before, but not anything incredibly detailed, and I'm very stuck on what exactly to carve for this plant.
Re: What to carve?
Reply to: #982094 by jaguarpaws
Dec 30, 2019 11:54am
Thread
There's a well-known optical illusion in black and white, where it can be a young lady, or a witches face, depending on what you see. That might be appropriate, and is not a very difficult/detailed carve.
Dec 30, 2019 12:00pm
Thread
This box in particular is going to be located in a cellar hole where an old woman suspected of witchcraft once lived, before her house was destroyed by five men bent on proving that she was a witch.

Would it be possible to plant the box near the cellar hole, rather than inside it? Folks unfortunately have a tendency to destroy old cellar holes/stone walls while searching for letterboxes and geocache, and this place sounds like it's an historical location.

As far as the stamp, I'd carve something that celebrates this innocent woman in some way. For example, if she was a midwife or herbal healer, maybe you could carve an infant or some herbs?
Reply to: #982096 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 30, 2019 12:04pm
Thread
That’s a great idea! Thank you so much.
Reply to: #982097 by Rocklun
Dec 30, 2019 12:04pm
Thread
You do have a point. I’ve got quite some time to figure out where exactly I’ll be placing it, thank you for the warning. I also like that idea! Sadly not much is known about the woman, but I will take those suggestions.
Dec 30, 2019 12:11pm
Thread
This witch has special meaning for geezers like me. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419890365241699370/
Dec 30, 2019 1:07pm
Thread
If you haven't already done so you could google to see if there are any images online specific to this particular incident. I say this not knowing how well known it is in that area. Might be some images, maybe not.

You could lead people to the cellar hole and then give them some directions, compass or not to a nearby tree, boulder, stump, etc.

I like historical boxes, sounds interesting.
Reply to: #982102 by MissMoon
Dec 30, 2019 1:49pm
Thread
Thank you! The incident is really only known by a few people around the area who are into spooky stories. I only found out about it a few weeks ago, surprisingly.
Dec 30, 2019 1:50pm
Thread
Being a historical story, an incident that at one time held enough "evidence" to condemn this lady, there has to be something in the records that would answer the question of who she saw / what she did to convict her at that time
Dec 30, 2019 5:34pm
Thread
https://weirs.com/the-witchs-brew-mystery-woman-unmasked-part-1/

This? I’m a google geek. I am addicted to finding stuff. 😊
Reply to: #982107 by MissMoon
Dec 30, 2019 6:08pm
Thread
Yep!
Reply to: #982105 by condo
Dec 30, 2019 7:28pm
Thread
Being a historical story, an incident that at one time held enough "evidence" to condemn this lady, there has to be something in the records that would answer the question of who she saw / what she did to convict her at that time

Besides being female? Anatomical location of moles, perhaps? A neighbor's lame cow. A false nose on a string. . .
Dec 30, 2019 9:35pm
Thread
Also, a cellar hole sounds like the kind of spot where random passers-by stop to have a look, rest for a bit, etc. Boxes tend to last longer hidden a few yards away from any kind of actual landmark where noxers and kids might poke around.
The story makes a great topic for a box. I love historical plants!
Reply to: #982112 by Summerfun
Dec 31, 2019 5:25am
Thread
Also, a cellar hole sounds like the kind of spot where random passers-by stop to have a look, rest for a bit, etc. Boxes tend to last longer hidden a few yards away from any kind of actual landmark where noxers and kids might poke around.

Exactly! I never plant at an actual landmark for that very reason.
Dec 31, 2019 10:29pm
Thread
I would be tempted to carve her headstone. An interesting story. thanks for sharing.
Reply to: #981553 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 9, 2020 3:26pm
Thread
Your carves are awesome!!!!
Keep using the pink stuff!!
Reply to: #982423 by Weeping Willow 52
Jan 9, 2020 9:34pm
Thread
I've been carving for 12 years now and have seen various forms of pink. The current formulation is soft, doesn't crumble and allows me to get really great detail and I can use a blade on it.
Reply to: #981546 by 8 Bare Feet
Jan 10, 2020 10:11am
Thread
I'm still using the Pink Stuff. I know some other materials can give better lines, but after using harder block I decided that carving with the softer Pink Stuff was just more fun and relaxing, and that was more important to me than getting finer detail and having better stamps. But I have a ton of respect for our elite carvers who use the harder carving blocks and tools like needles to carve amazing works of art.
Reply to: #981546 by 8 Bare Feet
Jan 10, 2020 11:57pm
Thread
The Seed stuff being sold by Webfoot is the absolute best. The biggest problem with it is that it cuts *so* well that I go too fast and mess something up!
Reply to: #981553 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 11, 2020 5:37am
Thread
Wow those carves are awesome!!! jealous jealous jealous I try so hard mine do not look like that !!
Reply to: #981584 by Topcollector
Jan 11, 2020 1:46pm
Thread
What is the URL for Stampeaz?? if you don't mind sharing.
Reply to: #982453 by OffCourse29
Jan 11, 2020 1:58pm
Thread
Stampeaz.com
Reply to: #982454 by Dawnkey
Jan 11, 2020 2:02pm
Thread
Thank you. I had to add https://www...
Reply to: #982456 by OffCourse29
Jan 11, 2020 3:48pm
Thread
You can add the url to the ‘marketplace’ on AQ to make it easy to access.
Reply to: #982448 by ypsitucky queen
Jan 12, 2020 6:51pm
Thread
Thank you!!